Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ Chat Thread May 2016

WELCOME!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support, inspiration, and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #2  

Back to gorgeous weather here so I'll definitely be going outside to work on the spring yard clean up. It will be my moving around exercise today as I am so sore from being on my feet all day yesterday. I need to make a list of things that need to be done – anyone else motivated by lists?

Sam – So glad to see your post. Your friend's actions are very inconsiderate and leaving them on the stoop is the approach I would have taken, too. And when she finally gets around to coming by and they've gone to someone else, please don't let her guilt you at all. Sounds like a good shopping trip although I did laugh about the 90 year old stretch pants. I think you may have described me! It is hard to find clothes that look good on us – or that we feel look good on us. I miss Ubee, too. I was just thinking that we haven't heard from Donna in a good while now and am worried that her health problems have flared up again.

Cindy – Yes, I did a great job staying away from the beaters, but not so great on staying away from the final product. The cheesecake was taste tested by its recipient, and I couldn't resist having a small slice as I have made a lot of them over the years as gifts and haven't eaten one. Well, the darn thing was delicious. Add in mashed potatoes and a 2x2 serving of spice cake along with garlic bread......get the picture! I gained a pound, but still ended up with a 15 pound loss for the month. Sounds like you had a great day fishing except for the sunburn. Hope you were able to get some sleep on the couch. Great job on the 4 pound loss this week. And, yes, you know we will remind you – and support you – in future efforts because you're so good in supporting all of us.

Calda – Your words so touched me. Your support and love for your husband just shines through. If he's taking the medication, that's a good move and maybe watching you stay on plan and get thinner and healthier will help to motivate him. Don't know if a friendly challenge will help, but the one I'm doing with my friend has helped us both. It's supportive rather than really competitive. Got any friends who are trying to lose that maybe you could do a couple challenge? Just a thought.

Karencat – Sometimes you just gotta use the points! With weigh in tomorrow, don't you get new weekly points then? Sounds like WW is really working for you. I chuckled over your shopping and ending up getting the kids shoes but none for yourself. We may be related – sounds like my shopping trips!

Fi – What a mix of emotions – for both of us – from your successes and then challenges with the knee. It sounds like your knee just really decided to go on strike. My left knee is my bad one – to the point where I have to go down the stairs one at a time. Hope that replacement surgery isn't in your future, but when I look at my BIL with his 2 new hips and our neighbor across the street with 2 new knees.......well, the outcome may just justify the pain and recovery from the surgery. Hope this week sees that right knee cooperate more.

Just checked the May thread and doesn't look like anyone has posted there yet, so I'll copy this and get it posted. Leftovers today – without the sweet stuff! – and then I think I'll make a pot of chili. I've been hungry for soup lately. Time for coffee, the crossword, list making, and then my yard work. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #3  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

[Thanks for starting the May thread, Betsy! I'm re-posting this one...]

I've been swinging through dramatic ups & downs in my rehab, this past week:
• Monday: achieved goal of not needing the wheelchair in my house—walking slow & painful, but tolerable
• Tuesday: achieved even bigger goal of walking all the way from the parking garage, up one floor, then through a maze of corridors to the Mindfulness Center, where I meet with Mike; Mike said my walking looked "very smooth"; used wheelchair on the way back, but still, a big achievement, for which I had to walk about 10 times further than I had before—happy & excited!
• Wednesday: rested a lot because legs were very sore, but still able to go without wheelchair in the house
• Thursday: again walked all the way from parking garage to meeting w/ Mike, with much less pain in doing so—yay!
• Thursday night: while walking from living room to den to turn on the radio, suddenly something goes wrong inside my right knee—popping, grinding, very unstable, painful—like bones just slipping around in there
• Friday: right knee is so bad, I have to go back to using wheelchair in house; called Mike about it, and he said to take a day of rest—to stay off my feet as much as possible for 24 hours
• Saturday: even after day of rest, utterly dependent on wheelchair in the house; tried & tried to walk a little, but right knee so bad I couldn't walk at all, not even a few steps in the bathroom
• Sunday (today): because last night I went to bed after Bob (did hands-&–knees crawl up the stairs) I didn't have my wheelchair upstairs this morning; tried to walk the short distance (like 10 feet) from bed to bathroom, which I've done many times in recent months, and failed miserably; fell down halfway there & had to crawl the rest of the way; VERY discouraged!

I'm planning to experiment with using a cane, later on today when both of my legs are not so exquisitely painful. I'm getting more & more worried that I may need a knee replacement. I hate surgery!

Serious brain fog from the pain, so that's all I can write... Best wishes, y'all!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

Hey everyone!

I haven't popped on for a LONG TIME! I fell very far off the wagon! And, now I'm trying to drag myself back on it. I spent my day today organized one of my daughter's play rooms. This child has more toys than I have house ! But, at least that room is nice and clean and organized now.

Betsy-Hope you enjoyed your yard work!

Fi-Sorry to hear about your knee! I hope it gets to feel better for you without surgery!
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #5  

The weekend has been uneventful. Did the grocery shopping yesterday and household chores today.

Made up some mini quiches to have on hand for breakfast this week. We only did up 6 of them to see how we like them. We didn't want to waste a bunch of veggies and eggs if we don't like them. I am looking forward to trying them tomorrow.

I also dried some whole grain bread and made breadcrumbs out of it so I can use it for meatballs and I want to try them in salmon patties. I love salmon patties but I have always made them with soda crackers. So I am trying to find a substitute for the crackers.

I am wishing I had and extra day off this weekend. The weekend went by too fast.

G'nite Neverland,
Teena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Thanks Betsy. I love him more than words. He has absolutely changed my life. As a survivor of domestic violence, I never ever thought I would find someone who loved me, but he does so much more than that. He lives to love and look after me; he is the best thing that has ever happened to me, he is my soul mate and he has helped bring the broken pieces of my heart, body and life back together without even realising it. I cant imagine my life without him, and I want so badly for him to love and look after himself as much as he loves and looks after me. Tonight I came home to a healthy version of lasagne that he has made me. I think he is really trying. And that only makes me love him more.
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 331/191/170

Height: 5'10

Hello May - Hi all

Betsy - Do you enjoy shopping ... I do as long as I am not buying food clothes or shoes - well at least not for myself... I like shopping for um.. books ... yes that's it books! I am weak - I have issues not licking beaters.... cannot do baking without children home to do that Or I end up licking the beaters and scraping the bowl clean with my finger and licking it off my fingers too... (ok I think that may be TMI?)

Caldawg89 Hope the hubby is doing well and you two are looking after each other

really miss posts from Ubee here too

Fiona - sounds awful I have knee issues but nothing like yours - I know that when they get sore from overuse Ice for 10 minutes every half hour over two hours can sometimes help me, I hope the rehab and canes go well ... I get your hating surgery I hate even having to go to Dr's or Dentists

Teena: Hope the little quiche idea turns out a treat and you like them and end up making more - & try change the flavours around a bit too give yourself a variety of little breakfasts .... & yes weekends always go too fast even those with extra days in them!

Workinghardatloosing - WELCOME BACK!!!! I managed to get to senior member whilst you have been away.... I wish I was as motivated to organise as procrastinate and avoid house work... our place needs sorting but there is no where for anything to go as the house is small - option 1 get rid of stuff... hmm ... maybe but every time I try the Hubby brings home something else! Option 2 get a bigger house- that is in the plans .... long term our place is just a tad to small ...

Anyway for me this week...
its a new day new week with my WW its evening where I am and unlike last week where I used up all my points... lost just one pound this week I am struggling to find ways to eat all my dailies ...have a whole 7 points left for the evening - going to have to make myself a skim milk milo to get to within one point before I go to bed ... oh warm milk drink - love it .... nice n relaxing... especially after work tonight was hectic - got home late missed my dance students - dam it - would have had my steps if I had done my dance class like I was meant too!
at the moment I have 5 students - 2 forgot 1 cancelled and 2 left just before I got home.... Held up on the way home by a dam slow car it added 10 minutes onto my trip ... at least travel a reasonable speed on the motorways people in NZ ....

So I have still got just under 1000 steps to get to my vivofit goal ... and 1530 to get to 10,000 total ... did a 30 min cardio session followed by 30 mins on our home gym weight training .... drinking water -probably not enough at the moment

Last edited by Karencat; 05-02-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Karencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #8  

Hey. It's supposed to be a beautiful sunny day here and there are dark clouds looming. Of course, that could change in 5 minutes, so I won't go into the bad weather funk just yet.

Workinghard -- Sounds like you're riding in the same wagon that I have. It seems to have a bad wheel or something because I keep constantly falling off of the darn thing! It always feels so good to get a room all organized. I have a few that need something! Didn't get to the yard work. I can find more ways to procrastinate when it comes to yard work. Will definitely get out there today.

Teena -- I so remember the feeling of needing an extra day each weekend when I was working. What did you put in the mini quiches? Are they the ones where you bake them in a muffin tin? I've made some of those before, and it was so nice to have them ready in the frig for breakfast. Great idea.....maybe I need to do that instead of trimming the grass today!

Calda -- I hope you let your husband read what you wrote about him. What a gift for both of you to feel this way about each other. It seems to be a rarity when a couple realizes how lucky they are to have found each other.

Karencat -- I hate shopping. I used to like it during the 5 year period when I could shop off the rack and could still walk in the mall without hurting after 5 minutes, but absolutely hate shopping now. I think the beaters and bowl licking thing (don't worry, my fingers are in the bowls, too!) are part of the happy memory syndrome from childhood for me. It was always a treat when my mom would let us lick the beaters or clean out the bowl and I associate it with good memories. Could you explain a little more how the WW points work please? For instance, what are the dailies? I don't remember those, but I haven't tried WW since they revised it a few years ago.

Not much on the agenda for this week. I really do need to get it in gear on the spring yard work instead of just thinking about it. I did make out a list of everything that needs to get done -- some items will take 5 minutes and some will take 5 days. But at least with a list, I get more motivated because I love crossing items off the list.

And on that note, it's time for the coffee and crossword. I'm going to fix a frittata this morning before I go to the gym and have left overs for supper tonight. I think all of the bad food is out of the house, so staying on plan should be a lot easier. My challenge friend and I decided to shoot for 8 pounds this month instead of 5. That will definitely help with keeping me more on track.

Have a great day.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

Betsy, awesome job losing 15 lbs. in one month. That alone deserves some bowl and beater licking and a tasting of the finished product. Ok, this is my faulty thinking at work that we should reward our efforts with food. Maybe the day of not doing yard work is a better reward. Good luck with 8 lbs. this month.

Fi, sorry your knee is giving you so much trouble. Sounds like you had a very active week though. Maybe it was just too much? I hope resting it and using a cane helps to alleviate the pain.

Workinghardatlosing, welcome back and good luck. Staying on the wagon is hard, but possible.

Teena, the whole grain breadcrumbs should work fine for the salmon patties as well as the meatballs. I hope the turn out how you like them. Are the mini quiches the SB recipe? If so, they're good. I always add cheese though because well I have a thing about cheese.

Caldawg, how wonderful that you and your partner have that kind of relationship. My DH and I are soulmates too, but you have described your relationship much more eloquently than I ever could. It does seem rare to find that kind of love in this day and age, but I'm glad you have.

Karencat, , I used to have trouble getting in all my daily points on WW too, and found if I did eat all of them consistently I couldn't lose weight. It probably had more to do with what I was eating than the program itself because I really do like WW. I still track my points online but they are usually far below what I'm allowed. I'm glad to see it is working so well for you.

Well I updated my signature to reflect my weight loss this past week and hoping to be able to change it again next week. Somehow as of yesterday I had gained a pound back but it's gone today. I think it may be because I didn't drink enough water Saturday, or there could just be no reason. It happens.

I have an appt. with my PCP this afternoon. I really don't know what she will say about my weight loss. I'm sure I haven't lost as much in the last three months as she wanted me to but at least I've lost and not gained. I've lost 13 lbs. since the last time I saw her which averages to about a pound a week, so that's not bad. I also figured out how to recalculate my goals on my fitbit last night and figured out that if I'm diligent and keep my calories between 1200 and 1300 a day I could (in theory) reach my goal in two years. by losing 1.5 lbs. per week. That is another 300-400 more calories a day than I've been eating all week, so it sounds doable (again, in theory). Right now I'm motivated so I'm taking advantage of that.

After my appt. I'm going grocery shopping. Tomorrow is the only day all week it isn't supposed to rain so I want to get outside and dig up the flower garden we're going to use for our small vegetable patch. This weekend DH and I want to go get our veggie plants for it so we can plant them when we have a nice day next week.

Gotta finish getting myself together here. I hope you all have a great day!
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #10  
rockin' my 60s!

Betsy— You wrote (with good reason), "It seems to be a rarity when a couple realizes how lucky they are to have found each other." For what it's worth: Bob and I feel that way, very deeply, and we're almost 40 years into bein' married. =smile= Even in the teeth of the multiple disasters that have befallen us in recent years...
Old 05-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

Teena- Are those the egg muffin things you made in the muffin tins? If so, I've been meaning to try them but I'm terrified that the texture of them would gross me out. I'm a texture eater!

Karencat-Congrats on the senior member! You go!

Betsy-There is for sure a broken wheel on this wagon. It just keeps flinging me off.

Cindylh- Thanks for the welcome back. I know it's possible I've done for over a year before. Honestly, I think my mind is what is tripping me up! I think I'm afraid to succeed because who will I be if I'm not the larger version of me. Currently, my weight defines my life, so who I am if I don't have it? So, I think I've gotta work on finding myself in order to be able to stay on this wagon. I have to find another way to define myself other than my weight. :-)

Well, today is official first day on the wagon. I did some grocery shopping and work. No excerise today, but I think I might take the not so little one outside for awhile and while she plays maybe I will walk the yard to try to get some steps in. I've got my fitbit on and ready to count some steps! I really want to lose my weight slowly this time around, so I'm aiming for 5 lbs or so a month. I don't want to restrict my calories too much that I feel like I am starving all the time.

Hope all of you are having a great day!
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Thanks Cindy and Betsy, we tell each other every day. We have been through a lot together, multiple surgeries on my part, a miscarriage, moving into our own place, family illness, everything. He is my best friend. We have been together 2.5 years and it has taken this relationship to help me work through the abuse I endured at the hands of an ex partner. My partner gives me strength now, and has taught me to use the hurt to give me strength and determination. I don't feel broken anymore, and that gift alone is priceless to me. I had been in and out of horrid relationships for 4 years before meeting my fiancée. I feel like I have been given a second chance to start my life over and I wouldn't choose anyone other than my partner to do that with
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everyone

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I went over to visit my grandma on Sunday and to have my mom take my new pants to hem them for me....short people problems ugh LOL. Had a nice afternoon with her then came home and spent the rest of the evening doing laundry and folding clothes. I hate folding clothes. Really I'm ok with living out of laundry hampers lol but after awhile it gets old. I need to purge my clothes again and get rid of stuff. Add it to the list of things that never get done like the closet I've been saying I'd clean for over a year now.

Feeling pretty hopeful today. I'm feeling like I can do this again. Feeling back to being me. Had a good day eating wise and plan to exercise here in a minute. Ready to kick things into high gear and get over this slump.

Betsy It is so hard finding clothes. I'm sure you don't wear 90 year old grandma pants and if you do I'm sure they don't look bad on you as they would on me. I'm missing Donna too. Her and her son were doing so well there for awhile. I hope she's okay.

Fi It sounds like you were having a great start to your week last week...those ups and downs can kill ya though. I'm just glad you aren't giving up. You are as sharp as a tack and I don't think I would ever see you throw in the towel. You are an inspiration to me girlfriend.

Teena CaldaKarenCindy Hope all of you ladies have a great week

I haven't mentioned this yet I don't think, but my blood pressure is elevated again. I have been off of BP meds for a year now and for some reason it's running high again. When I went to have my neck looked at they thought it was high due to the pain I was in. When I went the next week to see my psychologist it was high then too but I still was not fully healed from my injury. The past week I've been keeping a log of my BP and it's high every day. I've cut down on the salt although I thought it was already on the low side anyway. I stopped eating bacon and eggs for breakfast every day and started having oatmeal as my breakfast again. I'll have some egg on the side sometimes but today I had a protein shake with it made with water and nothing else. I'm going to keep watch of it and if I don't see any signs of improvement in the next week I'm going to have to make a doctor's appointment.

My plants are doing really good....the cucumber plant is shooting up so fast it's really amazing. Seeing them out the window as I type makes me smile that I'm actually growing food...It's so neat to me becuase I've never really done it on my own. My mom would grow veggies when I was a kid but usually only tomatoes. This is a nice experience doing it on my own.

I better get going. Gotta get this exercise in Have a great night everyone!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #14  
rockin' my 60s!

I agree about Donna, y'all. If you're out there, Donna, please come back. We miss you!

Sam— Thank you SO MUCH for what you said. You've made feel better. I think we have a mutual admiration society going here, girlfriend. We better be careful, or someone's going to yell at us, "Get a room!" =big laugh=

Calda— I really like what you've been writing about your partner's role in your recovery from bad relationships: what a wonderful positive attitude you have!

I need to get back to being positive. At least I'm not depressed. Just royally pissed off at my right knee. In 60 years it never gave me a whisper of pain.... and now this.

Actually, that's not true. When I was a little kid, I got an inch-long shallow cut on that kneecap when I fell off my bike. I'm sure that must've hurt. But it's true what they say about pain: you don't remember it. You remember all the circumstances, you remember what you thought & felt about the pain, but you don't remember the sensation itself. That particular trick of the human brain has kept me sane all these years, that's for sure... 'cause I was physically & emotionally abused by both my parents.

My father is dead, and my mother is so deep into Alzheimer's she won't be around much longer. I'm a survivor, too, Calda. =thumbs up for both of us=

But look at me now: I've been furious with a knee for four days! In fact, I'm suffering much more from this anger than I am from the knee itself.

Kind of ridiculous. Maybe this has gone on long enough. I need to adjust to the new normal. =big sigh=

Say there, wanna see a great funny video for the song of my life right now? It's titled "Walk." And it's about walking! Here it is. Highly recommended. I kid you not.

Last edited by Fiona W; 05-03-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #15  

My mini quiches were quite good. I got the idea from the SB book. I had wanted to make them the first time I was on the beach. I just chopped up some green pepper and mushrooms, browned up some turkey sausage and put some in each muffin tin with some pepper jack cheese. I scrambled up some eggs and fill the tins up the rest of the way. I used a fork to move the ingredients around so the egg got mixed up in them and baked at 450 degrees for 20 mins. I meant to chop up some spinach and put in them but forgot. As for the texture, it was like when I make a breakfast scramble just in a muffin shape. It took 30 secs to warm up. (it wasn't frozen). I think I would add more cheese.
Teena is offline   Reply With Quote