Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #46  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
Well im home now and still barely holding on...Delicious recipes ive made or not..i feel fat and i dont know if its because i see a higher caloric count then im used to. I used to eat 900-1000 calories per day and exercise for almost 2 hours and live on protein shakes and i was happy. Here i am low carbing..counting every carb and every calorie and i feel completely defeated and whats worse..the scale continues upward. Making it 8 pounds lost in a month...8!!!! On low cal i would lose 20-25 pounds in a month. Its like counting calories works better but i dont know why?? I mean i still count my calories but i dont "watch" for a limit. I am just aware of them. But i count every carb. I wish i could tell if this perpetual gaining is from water weight or if its fat... I left 2 days ago weighing 230.6 and i come home and weigh this evening and im 231.8. I dont get it anymore..

To be honest..i feel so internally frustrated..i wish i could go back to my self-mutilation years when i used to cut myself just to relieve the emotional pain inside. I need relief from the dissapointment and self hatred and "fatness". I cant stand looking at myself naked in a mirror..i feel like i get bigger and bigger and bigger. I dont see smaller. I swear my face is bigger today then it was yesterday. Evn without looking at a scale number...i cant deal with the image in the mirror. Someone just wash it away and show me a picture of myself healthy and happy cause im so done seeing the fat me.

Sorry for being so depressing..im at my wits end. I feel like im going to plunge off the end of diet land into a vat of sugar and fatty food goodness.
Port: Have you calculated your BMR? Your body is burning less calories to survive now, meaning that losing weight will be hard. You lost 25 pounds before because you were burning over 2,000 calories a day just to keep your heart beating, to keep breathing, digestion, etc. Now, your body is more efficient and it doesn't take as much to pump the blood through your body, so you burn less calories just to survive. 8 pounds at your current weight is really good.

Your body has probably also gotten used to your exercise. You may have to switch it up a bit. I've done best with interval training a few times a week and lifting weights a few times a week. Lifting weights does not mean bulky. We lack the testosterone to create bulky muscles. Muscle burns more calories which means that it's a good idea to have some musculature.

900-1000 calories a day is not an adequate amount of calorie intake if you are really active. Your body will fight against that. It's okay for short term, but really not a great long term solution. I was reading a nutritionist's blog. She's tiny and eats 1600 calories a day. It's about choices and portions.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #47  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

The scoop from my appointment yesterday with a sports medicine doc: Knee Guy says I have arthritis. Bigtime arthritis. The x-rays I had back in early March before the beaucoup falls showed only the mildest arthritic changes, but the ones I had yesterday showed +3 on a 0 - +4 scale. That diagnosis definitely explains my inability to straighten my legs, plus the pain, and is consistent with the trauma from the falls plus the long period of reduced activity. His prescription is to up my exercise sessions from once to twice or even three times a day: strengthening, then stretching, then ice packs. He endorsed the Qi Gong. Plus aquatherapy: PT that you do in the pool, with the aid of an aquatherapist. Plus injections, on a trial basis to see if they do any good, of cortisone or some fancy protein. Plus continuing the weight loss, of course.

I guess I'm a bit relieved that something real is causing my knee problems, something potentially at least partly reversible, but this is not good news! My paternal grandmother, Nana, had bad arthritis in her knees, so I know well how debilitating it is. She was a tall fat woman. But it didn't stop her from going up every summer to her island in Canada, or from being reasonably active while there—swimming a bit, working in her garden, getting in and out of motorboats, ascending the ladder to her bed up on a loft. She never needed a wheelchair or crutches, that I know of. What I mostly remember is that she moved very slowly, with lots of effort, and was often grumpy from the pain.

But Nana's arthritis was nothing as bad as that of her daughter and granddaughter, both of whom got the rheumatoid version.

I have arthritis on both sides of my family: my mother got it in her hands very early, when she was in college, and eventually, in her 70s, lost the ability to write legibly. She also had it bad enough in her spine that she had a back surgery plus lots of injections—none of which were very helpful.

So Knee Guy gave me a cortisone injection yesterday, saying it would take 48 hours to work all the way. Already this morning my knee is a great deal less painful. I plan to follow through on his recommendations, of course, although just the thought of the extra work and extra appointments makes me want to eat a heap of cookies. =sigh=

This morning I'm wondering whether if I did some serious arm-strengthening, could I graduate from wheelchair to crutches.... I sure would like to be able to drive and crutch-walk to all my appointments. We don't have a handicapped thingie to hang in our car yet: gotta get one of those!

I don't know how I feel this morning. Not really depressed. Sad, I guess. Arthritis in both knees... 'seems pretty disastrous to me. Knee Guy did mention knee replacements if they don't improve. At age 60, I've been hoping to live another 30 years, and the trouble with knee replacements, in addition to the recovery period of course, is that they only last 15-20 years, then need to be replaced again.

Do any of y'all have arthritis in your knees? Is that your problem, Donna? Does exercise help? Only in the pool, or elsewhere too? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I would get to the pool, given that I can't walk more than a couple of steps.

Last edited by Fiona W; 02-06-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #48  
There and Back Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona W View Post
The scoop from my appointment yesterday with a sports medicine doc: Knee Guy says I have arthritis. Bigtime arthritis. The x-rays I had back in early March before the beaucoup falls showed only the mildest arthritic changes, but the ones I had yesterday showed +3 on a 0 - +4 scale. That diagnosis definitely explains my inability to straighten my legs, plus the pain, and is consistent with the trauma from the falls plus the long period of reduced activity. His prescription is to up my exercise sessions from once to twice or even three times a day: strengthening, then stretching, then ice packs. He endorsed the Qi Gong. Plus aquatherapy: PT that you do in the pool, with the aid of an aquatherapist. Plus injections, on a trial basis to see if they do any good, of cortisone or some fancy protein. Plus continuing the weight loss, of course.

I guess I'm a bit relieved that something real is causing my knee problems, something potentially at least partly reversible, but this is not good news! My paternal grandmother, Nana, had bad arthritis in her knees, so I know well how debilitating it is. She was a tall fat woman. But it didn't stop her from going up every summer to her island in Canada, or from being reasonably active while there—swimming a bit, working in her garden, getting in and out of motorboats, ascending the ladder to her bed up on a loft. She never needed a wheelchair or crutches, that I know of. What I mostly remember is that she moved very slowly, with lots of effort, and was often grumpy from the pain.

But Nana's arthritis was nothing as bad as that of her daughter and granddaughter, both of whom got the rheumatoid version.

I have arthritis on both sides of my family: my mother got it in her hands very early, when she was in college, and eventually, in her 70s, lost the ability to write legibly. She also had it bad enough in her spine that she had a back surgery plus lots of injections—none of which were very helpful.

So Knee Guy gave me a cortisone injection yesterday, saying it would take 48 hours to work all the way. Already this morning my knee is a great deal less painful. I plan to follow through on his recommendations, of course, although just the thought of the extra work and extra appointments makes me want to eat a heap of cookies. =sigh=

This morning I'm wondering whether if I did some serious arm-strengthening, could I graduate from wheelchair to crutches.... I sure would like to be able to drive and crutch-walk to all my appointments. We don't have a handicapped thingie to hang in our car yet: gotta get one of those!

I don't know how I feel this morning. Not really depressed. Sad, I guess. Arthritis in both knees... 'seems pretty disastrous to me. Knee Guy did mention knee replacements if they don't improve. At age 60, I've been hoping to live another 30 years, and the trouble with knee replacements, in addition to the recovery period of course, is that they only last 15-20 years, then need to be replaced again.

Do any of y'all have arthritis in your knees? Is that your problem, Donna? Does exercise help? Only in the pool, or elsewhere too? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I would get to the pool, given that I can't walk more than a couple of steps.
I went through some episodes of what the doctor said was osteoarthritis about 5-6 years ago. In the wintertime, I woke up in a huge amount of pain for a few weeks. I could barely hobble around, but all my joints hurt, all over my body. I couldn't close my hands. I'm not sure if it really was OA because it was only a few episodes at about 3-4 weeks at a time. The doctor prescribed steroids in a pill form and prescribed Naproxen Sodium for the inflammation. It still took a good week for the steroids/NS to work. Once it did, I could walk again. They said that if that combo didn't work, that they'd have to do injections. I'm not taking the pills all the time-just when I have extremely bad flare-ups. I was on anti-depressants for a while-a low dose-and I was trying to quit them, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I haven't had a flare-up for a while now.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Morning Everyone,

Didn't post yesterday because I was too irritated when I got home that I just was ready for the day to be over with. My plan was to run and grab the few things we needed for dinner and come home and do one of Chalene Johnson's videos. That ended up being a 2 hour exhibition from going to one store, forgetting one thing so stopped at the other store on the way home, then had to turn around and go to another store for DH. By the time I got home it was nearly 7 and my downstairs neighbor was home. That basically put a fork in me wanting to workout because I was in no mood to deal with her crap...and I didn't want to turn back out and drive to the gym. So I just had dinner and went to bed.

This morning I'm feeling kinda sore. Not sure if I slept wrong or what but my lower back is achy. I'm going to give it time and see how I feel later on today and will probably do my videos at home. Tomorrow we're supposed to get freezing rain and possibly some snow so I doubt I'll be leaving the house tomorrow either. My town is not equipped for even the littlest of ice...It's kind of stupid but that's why everyone here gets in an uproar when someone mentions snow lol...

Donna You're right, reds and purples would definitely fade in the pool. Especially the red. Sulfate free shampoos do help with keeping color but all of that chlorine makes it hard to save. Glad you and Sam are going to get an MP3 instead of chocolate...You'll be able to enjoy the MP3 longer

Betsy Will definitely post a picture!! I didn't really have the easiest time getting back on plan. I still struggle with wanting breads...That's always been my weak spot and sugar. I'm doing good now though and just trying to keep on truckin...Your soup sounds soo good! DH and I made a butternut squash and carrot soup once and it was really good. I've been thinking about getting some butternut squash and doing something with it...They are so delicious.

Tootsie Let me know if you find a protein powder like that. I don't think they exist lol...I use Quest brand because they are soy free, gluten free, low sugar and low carb, but they do use stevia, xylitol?, and sucralose in their stuff.

Ubee I usually break it up with abs, legs, chest, shoulders, back and arms. Depending on the day sometimes I'll do chest & shoulders, or back & shoulders....Those are usually my light days so I can do two parts.

Fi It sounds like you're getting closer to healing yourself. I hope everything with the knee guy works out for you. I'd love to hear of you walking again, it breaks my heart that you can't. Hope the cortisone helps!

DH just made me breakfast and coffee. Nothing much else planned today but my hair color did come in so maybe that's what I'll work on today...and there's the dreaded housework.

Be well!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #50  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Fi.....yes I do have arthritis in both knees....especially in my left knee where it is classified as severe...my right knee is only moderate despite being the knee that I injured badly 7 years ago and had to have surgery on.
My knees love swimming the best undoubtedly but knowing them as I do, I know that it is worth taking pain relief before I walk the dogs. The I can walk further and with a much better walking pattern. I know that many people are against taking regular analgesia for so chronic a problem but the way I see it is that when I lost 80lbs by exercising and dieting, my knees were much less painful. And no orthopaedic surgeon would go near anybody of my weight. When I was physio I did alot of Hydrotherapy with people and it was wonderful but must be followed up with exercise at home...which you do anyway. The other thing I use is a resistance band to strengthen my thigh muscles...but your therapist will talk to you about that I am sure. I know loads of people swear by Glucosamine/ Chondroitin or Cod Liver Oil for arthritic problems but the really good ones are quite expensive. Most Hydrotherapy pools have either a sloped floor with a rail or a hoist to get you in.....they can accommodate fully immobile patients so you will be fine.
Port I agree with the previous posts.....just getting a very obese body like mine from one end of the day to the other takes ( according to the Web MD) 2,100 and if I am even moderately active it takes over 3,000. So no matter which diet you are doing your weight loss is bound to be slower.
Well, I sensibly stayed away from the gym today...despite getting my kit ready last night....why? My grumpy left knee is throbbing at night from the general increase in my activity levels and I figured that it needs me to be a bit lighter before I hit the gym. The range of movement is restricted in both knees which makes going on the bikes difficult...and our gym is not very well blessed with equipment! So I will leave it for a week or 2.
I walked the dogs in absolutely pouring rain this morning...further a quicker than usual which pleased me...only dog walkers out! Then I took breakfast and coffee back to bed and dozed listening to the rain on the roof. I have just done 30 minutes on Wii dance ......in my pyjamas but with a bra on obviously!.....ooh it makes you work hard!!
As weekends can be a danger time I treated my self to a lovely piece of smoked fish I plan to have with rice and veggies later. Healthwise, my chest feels good today, though that can change on a daily basis.
Have a great day ladies....hope the weather s better where you are!
ps Ubee......no lambs yet....another few weeks according to my farming friend...nearer to Easter.
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #51  

Feeling the need to post again...I'm having a rough day. All night last night I started doing research on having a pannilectomy and monsplasty done. This is something that has been bothering me for a little while because it has made pants so hard to find just to fit my sagging stomach and working out is becoming a challenge at times because of my body just flopping around. My overall health feels better but the more I look at my body, I'm just a bag of sagging skin. I still have weight to lose as you all know, so I'm trying just to deal with it until I reach my goal weight, but it's just so hard. I'm sobbing just typing this, but I figured you all would be more understanding so I need to get this out. When it's all said and done I know I will need more than just the pannilectomy and monsplasty but that is what I am most worried about at the moment. I still want to try for kids so part of me is like why even bother with getting the surgery until that's done and get a tummy tuck? On top of that where am I going to get the money to pay for this? DH is disabled and every penny goes to bills and food. I never have extra to go to the movies, or enjoy doing something unless it's the rare occasion. How do people find the money to pay for this stuff? I know my insurance won't cover any of this, it's clearly stated in my policy that they don't cover any plastic surgery no matter what. I don't even know what I'm looking at as far as costs for all of this but what I'm reading if I had to get my whole body done it could be on the up side of 100K...100K!?!?! I don't even own my own home why would I spend or find the money to spend that kind of money when I could buy a house for that?

I'm sorry to be so down, just having a hard time over here today. Losing weight is the greatest feeling in the world, but it's the aftermath that no one tells you about. I'll be 30 years old this year and I feel like I'm never going to be comfortable in my own skin. Just so many emotions attached to this journey..It can be so rewarding and so heart breaking.

Thanks for listening...I just needed someone to hear me. <3
Old 02-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #52  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Sam - I know people who have had great success going to Mexico for plastic surgery. Its where i had my weight lossugery and the care was top notch! It was incredible compared tothe kind of care we get in Canada. Far cleaner, nicer facilities, high tech equipment and less patients with a greater Dr/Nurse ratio to patients. I would go back to Mexico in a hearbeat and i guarentee you wont pay 100k for what you need done. More like just under 10k for panni/abdominoplasty plus thigh lift and arms and boobs. They even have financing options and you can make payments in installments over a year prior to going..some even have loan options. Google it..you will find tons of info. I can recommend the company i used.they did plastic surgery as well as wls. PM if you want to know the name.

As far a having kids go..i dont recommend plastics until after your done with kids..having kids can mess up your body and stretch out your tummy skin. I gained 60 pounds in my pregnency and have stretch marks galore plus a pooch from carrying her. You can plan to not gain weight at all during your pregnency but your body does undergo dramatic changes...just take my poor boobs for example. I went from having glorious little mangos to having deflated water balloons.

I hear ya that its hard to deal with body image issues..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #53  

Port Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I know in my mind that I have to wait until I know for sure if I'm having kids or not. That's the hardest thing because I want kids but don't ever know if I will ever be able to have them with mine and DH's hormone issues. We aren't really trying right now but hoping to in the next year or two. I've read about people going to Mexico to have it done, just something that is so scary to me because I've seen all the horror stories of people going out of the country and having a bad experience. I'll PM you because I'm interested in at least checking out the place you went to. I would feel better going to a place that I know someone who's been there.

Thanks for listening...
Old 02-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #54  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Sam...I am so sorry you are having such a rough day. I know it is easy to say but the transformation is not just about what you look like. It is about how much weight you are putting through your joints, how much healthier your body is and the fact that you are treating your body well by putting good nutrition in it. I know sagging skin is a big issue for alot of people who lose a significant amount of weight and apart from surgery there is no answer. You have done brilliantly Sam......you are my heroine.....and you look wonderful in your photos. Hang in there my lovely xx
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #55  
Porthardygurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona

Do any of y'all have arthritis in your knees? Is that your problem, [B
Donna[/B]? Does exercise help? Only in the pool, or elsewhere too? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I would get to the pool, given that I can't walk more than a couple of steps.
I used to have Patella Femerol Syndrome in my knee..its a fancy word for "no cartilage under the knee cap. I used to be on crutches and pain meds. I found relief by going to a seniors Osteo-Fit water class. Basically a class in a warm pool for people with osteoperosis and arthitis. Water has been my lifesaver.

I also know this lady..she is 72 and she was diagnosed with Rhumetoid Arthritis and she swims backstroke at the pool every single day as a way of pain management. She finds that the water is the only thing besides physio that helps her manage pain outside of using steroids and other drugs.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #56  
Porthardygurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm86 View Post
Port Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I know in my mind that I have to wait until I know for sure if I'm having kids or not. That's the hardest thing because I want kids but don't ever know if I will ever be able to have them with mine and DH's hormone issues. We aren't really trying right now but hoping to in the next year or two. I've read about people going to Mexico to have it done, just something that is so scary to me because I've seen all the horror stories of people going out of the country and having a bad experience. I'll PM you because I'm interested in at least checking out the place you went to. I would feel better going to a place that I know someone who's been there.

Thanks for listening...

No worries Sam I know its nerve wracking thinking about going to a foreign place for medical care but oddly enough..most of the Drs and Surgeons out there have not only more qualifications..they also have been trained in the US. Some of the worlds leading bariatric surgeons specialize in Mexico. I couldnt believe that i had to explain to 3 different Drs in Canada about my wls. They had no idea what it was. I actually brought them back a video of the fleuroscopy imaging video after my surgery was performed so they could see my new stomach. They were all suprised. A lot of people have poor misguided information regarding medical tourism.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #57  
Porthardygurl

Well good mornin..

The scale is not looking good today. Since the beginning of last week when i had hit that low of 227.8 , I have managed to gain exactly 5 pounds this week. I am now up to 232.8 So up and up and up and up the scale goes. I even took almost 4 full days off of swimming and up it still went. Supposedly i am due for my period in 3 days..i say supposedly because last month i was 8 days late..so im not sure now if my body resets and im back to regular scheduling or if im going to be another 8 days behind schedule? I was so hoping to get down to 220 by my birthday "Feb 20th" but that goal is going farther and farther away.

I am starting to wonder about whether its time to give up the low carb way and go back to low cal low fat way? How do you determine for sure when a plan is just not working for you? Like i said..im doing everything right and yet gain gain gain..So...how much longer do i allow myself to keep going? I keep getting told by others "we can average 3-4 lbs up or down depending on time of the month and hormones". I get told "give your body a couple moe weeks to be truly fat adapted" I get told "inches are gone more then weight lost".

I wish there was a one size fits all diet for everyone. Why does there have to be many different ways...and is one truly better than another? Right now i feel truly embarresed. Embarresed as my friends know im on a diet and they are asking how much weight ive lost and my response is 8lbs in 5 weeks. Makes my dieting and skipping out on good foods with friends loo meaningless. Even my husband is saying "whats the point of working as hard as you have been for the scale to just keep going up". He thinks i should switch back to low calorie..I dont know what to do. Im fearful about swithing it up because what if its wrong..what if the gain is water weight and its due to hormones. What if the diet is working but i cant see it yet? Kicking myself out of ketosis for nothing and then having to go back into it...that would suck. I guesd i want to know 100% for sure that i really am gaining weight..and its not just water..let me tell you though..my tummy surr looks fatter right now..same with my face..
Old 02-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #58  
There and Back Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm86 View Post
Feeling the need to post again...I'm having a rough day. All night last night I started doing research on having a pannilectomy and monsplasty done. This is something that has been bothering me for a little while because it has made pants so hard to find just to fit my sagging stomach and working out is becoming a challenge at times because of my body just flopping around. My overall health feels better but the more I look at my body, I'm just a bag of sagging skin. I still have weight to lose as you all know, so I'm trying just to deal with it until I reach my goal weight, but it's just so hard. I'm sobbing just typing this, but I figured you all would be more understanding so I need to get this out. When it's all said and done I know I will need more than just the pannilectomy and monsplasty but that is what I am most worried about at the moment. I still want to try for kids so part of me is like why even bother with getting the surgery until that's done and get a tummy tuck? On top of that where am I going to get the money to pay for this? DH is disabled and every penny goes to bills and food. I never have extra to go to the movies, or enjoy doing something unless it's the rare occasion. How do people find the money to pay for this stuff? I know my insurance won't cover any of this, it's clearly stated in my policy that they don't cover any plastic surgery no matter what. I don't even know what I'm looking at as far as costs for all of this but what I'm reading if I had to get my whole body done it could be on the up side of 100K...100K!?!?! I don't even own my own home why would I spend or find the money to spend that kind of money when I could buy a house for that?

I'm sorry to be so down, just having a hard time over here today. Losing weight is the greatest feeling in the world, but it's the aftermath that no one tells you about. I'll be 30 years old this year and I feel like I'm never going to be comfortable in my own skin. Just so many emotions attached to this journey..It can be so rewarding and so heart breaking.

Thanks for listening...I just needed someone to hear me. <3
It's a long shot, but you can try to start a Kickstarter campaign or get on a show like Skin Tight. Some plastic surgeons have contests to win surgery to show off their services. They usually require you to allow them to use your pictures in advertising. You may Google it.

I know that some insurance will cover it, so long as there is a medical reasoning for it-constant skin rashes or it affects your daily life to the point where you can do normal activity. Usually it has to be a certain size, though, like past your nether region when it sags. In this case, it is not considered "plastic surgery" in the traditional sense. You will have to see what it's coded as.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #59  
Porthardygurl

Can i please get off the depression train? PLEASE!!! I feel so freaking depressed about life. It feels like year after year nothing changes for me in life. My dh and i spend every year brely making enough money to get by. My health always looks up for a few months and then it crashes to the ground. Its like one bad thing and then another. At this point im considering moving down island so i can find a job because the job market is non existent for people who have no college degrees. So it will be me 7.5 hours away from my husband while my husband cant work for over a month and WCB doesnt kick in for at least a month..life just keeps going downhill.

Can someone point me in the direction of happiness? joy? success? Cause clearly i have missed the mark yet again.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #60  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Porthardygurl— It makes me sad to read about your frustrations. I'm sayin' that not to make you feel guilty—no, not at all—but to let you know you've got another person out here listening and empathising with you. I've had struggles off and on with depression for about 30 years. I'm bipolar, but I certainly have more trouble with the downswings. In my experience, three things have helped the most: (1) antidepressants, (2) psychotherapy of both the deep-into-your-childhood kind and the mindfulness (w/ meditation) kind, and (3) keeping a gratitude journal—in which you write down at the end of every day three things you feel grateful for. As for your weight loss journey, yes, it's a pain in the butt that everyone has to experiment to figure out what works best for them. Have you tried the so-called "zig-zag" or "intermittent fasting" approach—mixing up the days so that some days of the week you eat significantly less—like 500 cals—and other days a more normal amount—like 1500-1800 cals? Search around on the 3FC site and you'll find a lot of info about it. But you also need just a heaping amount of patience: my good years for weight loss are about 30 pounds a year, whereas bad years, like this past one when I've had so much trouble with my legs, are just a plateau. I recommend keeping a weight loss graph that lives somewhere you see it often, like the front of your fridge, and resolving to keep pushing that line downhill, however slowly. I may be unusual, but I've found that only weighing myself once a month is the way to go. Scale obsession is such a bummer, I backed off from that a loooong time ago. All my best wishes!
Sam— All my sympathies for your worries about skin surgery! I got really bummed out when I read about that, too. But I'm just trying to be patient and not think about it until I've been at my goal weight for a year or so. Some insurance companies, even ones that explicitly deny plastic surgery, can be convinced to kick in for pannus and maybe more, if your primary care doc writes a letter about how much the extra skin is causing you to suffer. I agree with the other folks that you should wait until after being pregnant, if that happens. Remember to take things one day at a time, and don't make yourself unhappy over things that are in the future. You've been so successful at the weight loss: that's what you should focus on.
Donna— Thanks for the positive words about aquatherapy! My biggest problem in that regard will be getting there. Bob is already pretty pissy about driving me to the appointments I have now. I may have to wait until I can walk and drive.

Well, Bob went grocery shopping tonight, and I managed to refrain from asking him to get sweets for me. I haven't exercised today, though, except for walking (without hand holds) into and out of the bathroom. Struggling with depression... oh well, what else is new?

Last edited by Fiona W; 02-07-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote