Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Question Fasting

How long can you fast before it becomes unhealthy?

To see any results fast I'm gonna fast but I dont know how long to fast for before it becomes unhealthy. I dont like exercising but just dieting isnt giving me any results either so this is the only thing I can think of. I've been on my journey since Jan. of 2014 and the lowest I've ever got is 279. I'm tried of the slow weight loss, I want to see some mega results.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #2  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Oh, hon, I know you've been struggling. In this forum, probably the most common answer to your question will be some variation of intermittent fasting. Lots of folks around here have good success that way. They set a time of day, lasting 14-18hours when they do not eat. (dinner to breakfast, with no snacking) Of course, you still have to watch what you eat the rest of the day! And this is more of a way-of-life, not a temporary jump-start.

Some will say, don't consider fasting for too long because your blood sugar will get too low, you'll overeat after the fast, etc etc. Others will say that fasting is a good way to re-set some bad habits and jump start the weight loss.

It's difficult to advise--only you know your psychology--what daily habits need fixing, what you might do after a fast. If you do decide to fast, you should have your post-fast meals planned out in advance so you don't overdo. Healthy stuff, eaten slowly.

I would still go with the advice others have given you in the past--stay away from complex carbohydrates: bread, rice, potatoes, pasta. Focus on whole foods: fruits, vegetables. If you eat meat, eat lean cuts, like fish. And remember that sauces, mayo, butter have calories that add up quickly. (Then again, others on here will say skip the fruits, eat more meat/protein and fat. You should check out the Atkins forum, if you want to go that route. Atkins used to be a good way for me to jump-start a diet, but that doesn't work for me anymore.)

Are you still eating the packaged frozen meals? Even though they list low calories on the box, they did not help with my weight loss--I tried them years ago as they were convenient to take to work. (I blame the mystery sauces in them.)

Annnnd you probably need an exercise routine. Like many people, you're probably trying to put that off until you lose some weight. (again, that didn't work for me) Try several things until you find something you enjoy. Form a walking club, walk in the pool at the Y, zumba classes are held at churches, the Y, even in pools, other dance classes, hula hooping, weight lifting, exercises on YouTube. Even if you're not losing weight, you will get stronger, and that will make you feel better about yourself.....good luck
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #3  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

SeeMyFeet ~ Thanks for your reply. I think I'm gonna give intermittent fasting a try and see how it goes and even though I dont like too I'll keeping working out.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #4  

Height: 6'1''

I find that fasting is great for me because all of my decisions about food are made for me instantly and it helps me get past cravings. I don't water fast (Just water, nothing else) but I do juice fast.

I juice vegetables and fruit, trying to do more vegetables than fruit, and just drink the juice all day. Days 2 and 3 are always the worst, but once I get past those I start to feel much better and all of my cravings are gone.

Its more of an extreme solution, but as a food addict, it really helps me stay stay focused and on track and I honestly feel great after a couple of days.
luketurner01 is offline   Reply With Quote