Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #226  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Magpie— Have you tried wearing silk long underwear underneath your pajamas or nightgown? There was a company called WinterSilks a few years back: good selection and excellent quality. Good luck!

I fell again this morning, while trying to get into my wheelchair at the door of the bathroom. I can't remember the last time I had a day without at least one fall. My knees and calves are quite colorful with bruises in all different states. My muscles are so unreliable, is the problem. And they're weak from all the spasms and the muscle-relaxing drug. The worst part about falling is getting up! It's SO HARD to get my feet back under me and then lift my heavy body.... sheesh!

I'm trying to be hopeful, but I have no idea what the timeline is supposed to be. Since getting the diagnosis, it's been three days I think, three days of reducing medications and taking the muscle relaxant. And each day feels better than the one before.

Except for today, when I am royally frustrated because I can't get into the den to watch Formula One! We have the race recorded, but we like to watch it soon after it takes place. I tried and tried to stand up but I couldn't even do that—let alone walk the dozen steps or so to my chair. I think I have one big effort in me each day that goes by, and today I had to use it for getting up from that fall. It's just a silly auto race, but it's something Bob and I do together, so we both feel really cheated that we couldn't watch the race.

Sorry to rant and go on, y'all, but this is just the pits...
Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

That's a good thought, Fiona. I have a thermal shirt, and I might have thermal pants, too. Worth a try!

I hate that you're having such a hard time. If you called your doctor, do you think they could give you a better estimate of how long it will take for the serotonin syndrome to pass? I know SSRIs take a little while to get out of one's system, but I feel like your doctor should have given you at least an estimate.

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone. Woke up at 5:30 for a bathroom break and just decided to stay up since I'm driving over the mountains this morning to meet an old friend from high school days for lunch. Getting in my pot of coffee seemed more important than sleeping another hour.

Ubee -- So it's called impulse control! I like that terminology so much better than some of the other names used when referring to our never ending challlenges to stay away from the no-no foods and embrace the yes-yes foods. If you develop that bubble while simultaneously taking care of everyone, patent it immediately because you could become a gazillionaire by the end of the week. Heck, I'd buy one! Hope the impromptu dinner party went well.

Magpie -- Thermal battery socks! That's my latest suggestion for keeping your limbs warm enough to get some sleep. I woke up during the night shivering (may have been caused by having an open window and the ceiling fan going with night time temps in the 50s), and realized that not being able to sleep for being too cold is what you go through every day. I immediately thought of you and my sympathy/empathy levels shot up. On the positive side, it sounds as though you're doing really well on IP. Good for you.

Fi -- In my mind's eye, you have always been a colorful person, Fi. Smart, well educated, well read, artistic, etc. However, extending your colorfulness to include bruising should not be part of this picture. It sounds like you're going through the wringer with this -- both physically and probably emotionally as well. Of course, I immediaately went into mental problem solving mode so that you and Bob could watch your races. Let's see, that ranged from moving the TV and associated equipment into a room you can access, to buying another TV and setting it up in a room you can access to hopefully having a computer that you can hook up the DVR to or else burning........well, you get the drift. And I'm sure you've already thought of all those options. There are several chat threads about solutions for having wheelchairs for doorways that are too narrow for a standard wheelchair to fit through -- which I'm assuming is what you're encounterng. There are transport chairs that don't have the wheels on the side -- just handles at the back for someone to push. Some of those come with removable armrests to accommodate narrow doorways. Again, I imagine you know this already from your medical background, but lots of the threads said to look for them on ebay or craigslist as families who no longer need them often sell them very cheaply. Anyway, hope that things begin to look up for you soon. This has got to be so frustrating for both you and Bob.

The second coat of poly is on the coffee table, and it will need a 3rd coat. While it's solid wood, it's pine and pine is so soft that it just absorbs the stain and poly like a blotter. Since the boys frequently use that coffee table for playing games and drawing when they're here, I want to give the top as much protection as I can. It looks wonderful -- just is going to require multiple coats of sealant.

Snuck in too many 'treats' over the weekend so up about half a pound this morning. I'm taking packets of my diet salad dressing with me and will get a chef's salad for lunch. After driving all day, I'll want something easy for dinner so I'll probably fix a veggie fritatta. So easy and quick, and a 2 egg one comes out huge with all the veggies thrown in. Yum.

Have a great day.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #229  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi everyone!
I went swimming today!! I managed 22 lengths and didn't cough once, which is a sort of record on the coughing front!! I took my inhaler just in case. It is a lovely friendly pool and the life guard will throw my inhaler to me if it looks like I am struggling!
My young man is going through a slightly lazy phase....no I can't call it a phase...he tends to enjoy inactivity and blinking Minecraft on the X box!
We are only at the start of a 2 week break and he says to me " What can I do now?" which means he wants to say he is bored but doesn't dare speak the word to me!!
My lovely daughter is home for a week and gradually I can see her relaxing. We have ticked a few major wedding related issues off the list so that helps. Where I live is so calm and quiet that she loves just sitting on her bed listening to the birds and of course the lambs...who are in a far field so I can't take any pics for Ubee!

Fi.....are you taking Statins? There is an increasing body of evidence that some people who take statins long term can develop muscle pain and weakness. Just a thought.

Magpie.....I am a fan of the good old fashioned hot water bottle. If necessary I have one by my feet and cuddle (or cwtch) one to my chest... it's wonderful.

Betsy...I have to sand and varnish my lovely patio table and chairs as the winter has really done for it.

Sam how are you lovely?? And Bllondy??
Mysteriously people keep telling me I have lost weight...I feel like I have lost weight but the scales don't agree! Ah well 2 out of 3 isn't bad!!!
Have a great day chickens.
Welsh Hugs
Donna
Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #230  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Betsy & Ubee ~ Yeah my cooking teacher and I could come up with different healthy meals to make and then I will be sure to let you guys know what you need to make it and how you make it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm checking in late this afternoon, Its just now 1 p.m. I havent walked yet today but I will. I had an appt. this morning and then I came back home and took a nap from 10:15 to noon cause I was really tired this morning but I'm not sure why I was so tired but now I'm fine. I cant wait until Friday cause I'm in need of food, I'm not going without but I'm really low right now. Anyway I hope everyone is having a great Monday.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #231  

Yay, Mountain! I bet it felt so good to get in the water! I'm glad you're healing up well! I am a little envious of the picture you paint, with the birds singing and the lambs ... bleating, is that the right word? It sounds nice! A hot water bottle is a good idea, I'll try that. Also, I wish it were easier to measure ourselves with tape measures; that's one of the things IP does well: they measure waist/hips/thigh/upper arm/chest over time, and you can see how many inches you are losing, even when the scale is uncooperative. Since I am semi-coachless, for now, I have to use the "Does this pair of pants fit yet?" method--which sounds like a game you might win, this week.

Betsy, you're the second person to suggest socks with batteries to me, this month, so I feel like I've got to try it now. (Or, you know, when I've got an income again.) Good thought! Mmm, chef's salad. Enjoy that!

I just read about how coffee decreases heavy drinkers' chances of getting liver cancer, and I find myself hoping that its protection extends to people with fatty livers (which I'm pretty sure includes me) and people who take liver-damaging medications (which does include me). Between my caffeinated coffee and my decaf coffee, I get five cups a day. I found out from MyFitnessPal that that isn't actually zero calories, even though I drink it black, but I'm OK with it. I love coffee so much. And Dunkin Donuts decaf is better than it has any right to be. (I prefer buying organic and shade-grown, because that's much safer for migrating birds--you wouldn't believe how many US birds spend time in coffee-growing regions, by the way!--but sometimes you buy what's available, you know?)

I hope you're all having a nice and easy Monday!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #232  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I fell again today. My knees and my shins really took a beating. It was a tough one to get up from, too: 'took me 45 minutes. And of course each failed attempt was another fall.

Afterwards, I was very sore for about four hours. I didn't get the chance to try standing and walking without the wheelchair, which I really need to do if I'm ever gonna crawl out of this hole.

I'm extremely discouraged...
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #233  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Fi: If you survive this, you can survive anything. You can do it. Just keep going.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:54 AM   #234  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Hi everyone.
Fi,I don't have a clue how this works but can you just give it more time before you try to start walking/standing more? Does your level need to go down and then it will just get better or will you get too weak? I know you know best just trying to help because you mean so much to me.
magpie many people use their pants instead of the scale, especially if they get obsessed with the numbers. Why is shade coffee safer for the birds?
Terra what are your plans for portion control?
Donna it sounds like things are going well. When my kids were bored I would suggest a chore in a happy/fun way. They stopped coming to me when they were bored.
Betsy have a safe trip and a nice visit. It is about 9 months until you want to be under 300 and me 250. Let's stop sabotaging ourselves.
tootsie I sure could use some of your positive energy. Thanks for bringing it to the thread!
I am in a funk. I can once again feel my belly resting on my lap. UGH!
I will be visiting my sister and her family for a few days but will try to check in.
Have a peaceful day.
Sorry for the blah thread. I WILL GET MY MOJO BACK!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM   #235  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Chicks!!!

I pray you are all doing well!!! I have missed you but managed to catch up on all the reading! Whew you all have been busy this weekend!

Tootsie - Run Hundred sounds interesting... I need to check it out!
Fi - I am so sorry you are having such a hard time... I continue to think about you and pray for you!!! Hope you are better soon!
Magpie - Thinking of you too!!!
Donna - WooHoo for the swim!!! 22 laps and not a cough... Awesome!!! It sounds like you live in such a peaceful place! I love living in the country!
Cindy - I am ready to see your ticker too! I love having you here too!
Betsy - I remember Tim Conway and the old man shuffle! I love watching reruns of Carol Burnett as it was always a favorite!

I had a busy weekend! Except for Sunday I have been getting in some good steps and staying within my calorie goal. We had 5th sunday singing for the evening service and as always food after which is dangerous. LOL. But I had a great day Monday and even cut out some calories because I just was not hungry. Oh and I got in 9000 steps and my foot did not hurt! Yay!!!

Mowing yesterday and again today! By the time I finish the yard it is nearly time to start again! And that is OK as I can get in plenty of steps!!! I may have forgotten to mention but my yard is probably nearly half an acre and I am determined to do it with a push mower. Oh well just keeps me busy outside when its so pretty. Sunday afternoon I got in the truck to go to church and my gauge said 95 degrees. Whew! I think summer is here almost! I hate that we go from ice to summer in less than a month but hey this is Texas.

I hope you all have a PERFECT ON PLAN day!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #236  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Good morning ladies. Just a quick hi before heading off to work. All is still good here,

Fiona, I feel for you. Is there really nothing else your doctors can do? I am so sorry you are going through this.

Betsy, thank you for the offer of your treadmill. My DIL says she has a manual one I can have, which will be good since it folds up and is easy to move.

Donna, so happy you got to go swimming. That used to be one of my favorite activities. You sound so much better.

Magpie, congratulations on the weight loss.

I will catch up with you all later. I have to run. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Peace
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #237  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Ubee ~ I'm just cutting down on my portions and thats how I'm doing portion control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up at 7:30 this morning, Its now almost 9 a.m. I'm gonna do my 50 min. Chair Exercises at 11 a.m. and then at 1:00 p.m. I'll walk outside for 30 mins to an hour. Those are all of my plans for today.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #238  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning everyone. How did it get to be the end of the month already? I'm going to miss my 15 pounds off goal for the month, but will have lost 13 so I'll look on the positive side and be happy I didn't gain another 13.

Donna -- 22 laps! That's wonderful. You sound so relaxed and happy right now -- I know having your daughter home is wonderful. I chuckled over your son being careful not to say he was bored. Is there a parent in the world that doesn't assign chores to do when their kids complain about being bored?

Fi -- You have every right to be discouraged. Can your doctor refer you to a physical therapist to get some help with doing some exercises that would help with both getting up after a fall -- or maybe better, help on any way to prevent falls from occurring. My heart just aches for what you're going through.

Tootsie -- Hi!

Ubee -- Great day yesterday driving around the countryside on both the wet and dry side of the mountains, wonderful visit with my friend, and home to new episodes of some of the shows I watch on PBS. Hope you have a wonderful visit with your sister -- I'm envious! You've always got your mojo going........sometimes it's just in a different direction than we'd like!

Pam -- If you'd like to come cut my grass, I can throw in a 13% grade for you. It is good exercise to do the yard work though although I hate doing it. Sounds like you're really on track between the walking, work, and staying on plan. Inspirational!

Cindy -- You sound busy -- hope you're having a good day.

Magpie -- Interesting info on coffee protecting the liver.......mine should be in wonderful shape then because I have an entire pot each morning. I have a friend who swears by the battery powered socks. Of course, she was using them in her ascent of Mt. Rainier, but the idea is the same.

Terra -- Reducing portion sizes is a great way to lose. I have two friends who did that and each lost significant amounts of weight.

Off to the gym and then home to put another coat of poly on the coffee table. I need to gather up all the items I've designated for donations as I'm making a run tomorrow. Oh yeah, guess I'd better do the bookkeeping, too. Meals are planned out and I'm feeling very calm today -- hope it lasts.

Hope all of you have a wonderful day.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #239  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Terra: I know that the other day, I didn't have constructive advice about portion control. I'm afraid of offending people, but all of us losing weight is important, so I'm going to attempt to give advice, and hopefully it doesn't bother you.

I've struggled with portions all my life. I grew up poor. My parents were neglectful, most of the time, I didn't get breakfast or lunch, so when it got to dinner time, if we had any, I was starving. My parents were also the "clear your plates" types. They made me dip out my own portions from age 5 on, so if my eyes were bigger than my stomach, I was forced to eat it. So, letting food on my plate "go to waste" was a big issue for me. This is the reason that I never force my kids to eat, and I dip out small portions for them until they are old enough to get it. Whatever they don't eat, I toss, no problem.

So, here's what I did. I started measuring things. I would measure what I started with, for instance, 1 tablespoon of creamer, then I just reduced it a little at a time, so that my body could adjust to the different flavor. I'm down to a teaspoon and a half. I did the same with other culprits, like butter. I used to love the stuff. Now I might have a teaspoon on a potato or none at all. I could eat three cups of spaghetti in a sitting... Down to a half of a cup and a giant salad. I gradually reduced sodas, from a dozen a day, to one a day, then one a week.

This whole weight-loss thing doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, or perfect. You just do little things, and they add up. You can do this. Your mind is stronger than those emotions that make you want to eat. You just have to believe it.

Maybe my way won't work for you, you just keep trying until you find what does work for you. And if you find something that works, share it. You never know who it might help.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #240  

Default Birds

If coffee isn't shade-grown, it means trees were cut down to grow it, which is a sure-fire way to cut down on migratory birds' habitat.
Closed Thread