Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #31  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Scoble: COPD = bad news, and quitting smoking is not easy. Good news, without the smoking, some of the symptoms of COPD are lessened. I hope that you feel better soon.

Bllondy: Oh dear... My kids used to smear it on the walls if I didn't watch them extremely closely... I'm talking diaper checks every half an hour. I can't imagine how upset I would be if it wasn't my kid. I learned to love pet cleaner and I have no pets. You are a saint for watching these kids.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 320/314/160

Height: 5'10"

Tootsieroll... What is it with kids and poo?? Another kid I used to babysit pulled his diaper off during nap and ate his poop.. THANKFULLY (for me anyway) HE WAS AT HOME WITH HIS PARENTS when that happened... And another kid I also babysat was transferred to a different sitter who was trying the cry it out method with her for naps.. she should've at least peeked through the door though because that little one had pulled her poopy diaper off and smeared it all over the pack n play and her face.. YUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!
Oh, and most days I don't feel like a saint for watching these kids.. I feel awful because I'm not cheery like Mary Poppins or Maria from Sound of Music.. Slightly high expectations on my part I suppose..
Old 03-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #33  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Bllondy— I'm really glad you're back, girl. I like your style. Major yuck about poop on upholstered car seats: I hope you find something that will get it out. You're reminding me of why I decided not to have kids. But as I'm writing these words, my kittens are working hard on their project to scatter my rubber stamps all over the downstairs, including under furniture where it's going to be tough to get them out. None of the cats in our previous two pairs were this mischievous! I hate having to yell at them, but sometimes it's necessary.

Scoble— Giving up cigarettes: oh my, I know (secondhand) what an excruciating experience that is. Are you using the patch or chewing the gum? For what it's worth in the way of motivation, my husband's oldest sister is dying of lung cancer and COPD, even as we speak. The terrible thing about that combo of diseases—both from a lifetime of chain smoking—is that her lungs were in too bad a shape for them to operate on the cancer.

magpie— I'd love to hear more about your attraction to shiny things. I have a pretty bad case of desire for jewelry, but recently I hung it up on the wall all up and down the upstairs hallway. If I start feeling itchy for something new in sterling, I can browse through my current collection without having to open a lot of little bags and boxes. It makes a difference! I did it with four of those printer's boxes that are available everywhere (like from multiple vendors on Etsy).

tootsie— That's a real bummer about the liver disease. Look at us on this thread: so many have solid medical reasons for losing weight. In my personal experience, though, thinking about disability and/or early death doesn't do squat for the cookie cravings. My own motivation is sort of like the saying "art for art's sake": I'm doing this for the journey's sake. I do want, some day in the future, to be the Woman Who Lost 220 Pounds. It's not like I'm going to be all prideful or expect people to admire me—not at all. (I don't like it when people admire me—at least when they tell me about it.) It's a message I'm giving to myself: you have character; you have patience & tenacity; you can commit to a huge project and then do it.

This night, for me, is definitely about my knees. I did make it to the app't with Mike, my Qigong instructor. His funky building is catty-corner to the grocery store parking lot where I park my car, so I have to walk a little ways, wait for two pedestrian crossings at the intersection, then deal with three flights of nasty stairs. Today I knew in advance I couldn't do those stairs, so I doubled the length of my walk in order to get to the elevator. When I walked through the doors to Mike's clinic, my legs were just beginning to fail me. So I thought, "I'll get most of an hour's worth of rest, before I have to do that walk again. Plus all the good stuff Mike will do for this problem."

I was wrong. On my return trip, I barely made it to the elevator before my knees were getting very weak. Then I had a walk through parked cars to get back to the street. The parked cars I could do: I leaned over them and held onto them to keep from falling. But then I had to walk through a short alley without any cars. I started to fall, backtracked and rested against a car, then tried it again: I was falling, and all the willpower or mind-over-matter thinking in the world wasn't going to change that fact. I could see the whole ugly scenario: stuck on the dirty pavement waiting for someone to come by and call an ambulance, then an emergency room, then... what? I have to talk to an orthopedic surgeon? No way, José: all surgeons want to do is to cut you up. I felt extremely desperate. Then a car came down the alley, slowly enough that I could attach myself like a limpet to the backseat window and yell, "Will you please HELP me? I'm falling!"

It turned out that the driver and sole occupant of that car was someone who left the Middle East not long ago, because his limited English had an Arabic accent, and he couldn't understand me unless I said things very slowly and clearly. But it wasn't that bad: we took on the project of getting me to my car as a team effort (once he understood what we were doing). The hardest part was right at the beginning—getting me into his backseat without my falling down. After a few futile attempts, we finally succeeded in doing that. I can't tell you how relieved I was, to be sitting down in a comfortable car seat and en route to my own car. Even though the guy was a complete stranger, of course. We had to circle around the grocery store parking lot a few times, because of cars waiting to get spots from departing cars, but finally my kind stranger (I forgot to introduce myself and get his name! Sheesh, that's not my usual style) got his car right at the back bumper (Texas flag sticker plus "I Heart Houston") of my own.

And I drove home. Where I'm sitting on the green futon, worried sick about my knees... even though they only hurt when I stand up or walk on them... but pain is not the problem. The problem is that they don't work. Or maybe it's my hamstrings that don't work. I don't know. I just know that they fold up and I fall down...

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-03-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 432/378/150

I am using patches. Vicious cycle. Whenever I was hungry, I would grab a cigarette. WELL, I can't do THAT any more! This is hard, but, am trying.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Time for me to get things in gear. As I read the posts this morning, so many of us seem to be in distress. I love this chat room -- feel that so many of my current friends are people that I know only through the wonders of the Internet. But so many of you are hurting, struggling, or just plain having one of those days and this is when I wish that we had the old style friendships where we lived close enough to each other to come over and just comfort each other. So to all of you having a bad time of it, here's a hug. Or two or three.

Tootsieroll --- Hope your hubby's test results come back ok. The Liver Cleansing Diet by Sandra Cabot is available on Amazon and is about $16 for the paperback version and $9+ for Kindle. I noticed she also has one titled Reversing Fatty Liver. My sister found that once she was diagnosed with liver issues that the doctors did nothing in terms of changes she needed to make in her lifestyle or eating. And while her goal was to stabilize her liver function, she ended up losing 60 pounds on it.

The Magpie -- Glad you've joined us.

Scoble -- Do you feel like you're living proof that when it rains, it pours?! An unsolicited suggestion. Give up smoking first and just work on using portion control for the dieting portion. I gave up smoking back in 1997 after 10 years of 2-3 packs a day (living in Winston-Salem, NC was a contributing factor since cigs could be had for 50 cents a pack!). My experience was it took about 4 days for the nicotine cravings to pass and then took about 3 years for the cigarette habit to pass. By that I mean that it was almost 3 years before I got past the point of wanting a cig after dinner or actually enjoying someone's second hand smoke drifting my way. In terms of actually quitting, it was a day-by-day experience and every time I tried to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time, I failed at one or the other. However, once I stopped trying to also lose weight, I gained 50 pounds because I was substituting food for putting a cigarette in my mouth. Not saying that this will happen to you, just trying to forewarn you that this takes some thoughtfulness and a whole pack load of fortitude. But, it is doable. And you will definitely be the better for having stopped smoking. (I know this is somewhat of a downer and you don't need that right now, but please know my heart is in the right place.)

Bllondy -- Yuck, yuck and icky yuck. You poor thing. I have no idea why children are so fascinated with their poo let alone want to play in it. I do hope you charge people with kids who aren't potty trained yet more. I realize that everyone will have a mistake at that age, but playing in it and then wiping it on your furniture. Totally understand the bread cravings, too. My go to comfort food is popcorn which isn't too bad except for the fact that there's usually butter involved.

Fi -- It's time to go to the doctor and get those knees x-rayed to see if something got seriously injured in your fall. And while I hate it, I keep a cane in the car now and use it whenever I have to walk very far. It gives me just enough support to get me places that I otherwise wouldn't be able to get to. Sounds like your kitties are making up for all the time when they were sick and probably didn't feel too good and getting into everything. Or maybe they're just more of a handful. I know I'm waiting for the day when Toby doesn't grab at every hand towel I have in the kitchen and haul it outside to rip it apart!

Didn't get the grass cut yesterday so I'll do that this afternoon. I read Brain Over Binge yesterday (Fi, thanks for the recommendation) and while I think some of her science is lacking, what she says makes sense. Now I'll see if it helps when the urgings hit.

Hope that everyone's day goes better. Just trying to get ourselves healthy is enough hard work without all these other roadblocks.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 432/378/150

No, no, you are right betsy! It is a tough battle. I have already had a candy bar because I wanted a smoke. Lesser of to evils. I feel the smoking is most important. However, I know I cannot let the eating get out of control either. Keeping a food journal. Making sure to keep the calories under 1500. Doable...yes.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #37  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Betsy ~ Yeah yesterday was a very busy day

The_magpie ~ Hi to you too

Scoble ~ I dont know if I've ever said Hi to you before so I want to say Hi and Welcome to the thread and forum and I hope you like it here.

Hi To All of the other members, I hope everyone is doing good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would of went to school today but due to the weather I stayed home and I've been inside all day. I am really ready for Spring though. I'm tired of the snow and cold. Anyway I've taken today off from working out but I'm still dieting, I never take a day off from that LOL.

Last edited by Terra1984; 03-04-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #38  
There and Back Again

Bllondy: Maybe it's like stinky play dough to them?

Fi: Yeah, even if death is knocking at the door it certainly doesn't stop cookie cravings. A lot of the time, it just feels like "What is the point?" I do remember that one of my family's close friend was diagnosed with prostate cancer and diabetes. He was a big guy. He may've lived longer if he'd gotten treatment for the cancer, and if he took care of his diabetes, but he refused to, thinking that his death would be better for his wife and kids. I remember how much him doing that hurt them. It hurt my family as well. He passed a couple of years ago. My problem isn't definitely fatal as of yet. I don't want to do that to my family. I hope that my husband won't give up if it turns out to be bad. I love him way too much.

Glad that you got to your appointment, but scared that you had to rely on a stranger. I wish that you had a family member or friend to bring along with you.

Betsy: Thanks for the Internet hugs. Hope that life is treating you well.

Scoble: Just dance. The endorphins from exercise tend to help with those cravings, because they are kind of like a drug.

Terra: I don't know of anyone in frosty snow-covered areas who can't wait until spring. I look forward to smelling my roses.

Magpie: Hello. Shiny things are nice. My love of shiny things tend to be more from nature... Sunshine, Water flowing, rainbows, butterflies, lightning bugs, etc.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #39  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Betsy— What you said about how "just trying to get ourselves healthy is enough hard work without all these other roadblocks" really strikes a chord for me. So true. Well, I happen to be a hard-core Democrat, and you know what Democrats do when there's a problem: they throw money at it. =laugh= So I've spent the day with my iPad, researching two subjects related to my knees. The first, and most important one, was whether to buy a pair of trekking poles—for getting about these little short distances that are most of my walking, with flexibility to use them on the trail around the lake. I felt confident in my choice, after all my reading, to go ahead and order a pair. I don't like buying such a one-size-does-NOT-fit-all item without actually holding them and checking on the fit, but our nearby REI just does not have the brand I want. And now I've transitioned to reading about hiking shoes and boots that have wide toe boxes. The New Balance walking shoes I bought a few years ago still have lots of wear left in them, since I rarely wear them, because even though they're ostensibly a wide width, they pinch my toes. I'm not sure any conventional wide-width hiking shoe is what I want anyway: after many years of wearing almost nothing else, even all winter long with socks, I have Birkenstock feet. So I may go for something more... unusual. I'll report back on this problem. And thanks for suggesting an X-ray: that's something non-invasive and easy to get. But I'm going to stick to my guns about no orthopods: most of them are quite evil.

Today I stayed in my seat on the green futon, only getting up for desperate needs. I can't climb the stairs to my studio, so my collage activity is in a bit of a hiatus. Meanwhile, Bob had to get the house ready, all by himself, for what looks to be a week of having our great nephew Gavin, 8 years old, stay with us, and of course taking him to and from school. Why are we doing this? Because his maternal grandmother, Bob's favorite sister and our beloved niece Margaret's mom, is definitely dying—of the COPD & lung cancer from being a lifelong chain smoker. She now has metastases to her brain. Margaret is flying to Oakland (California, right next to SF) tomorrow, to be there while they're making decisions about radiation and hospice care, and to be with her mom during her final lucid moments. Mostly when Gavin will be at loose ends in our house, he'll be glued to Bob's computer, playing his favorite computer games. He's a taciturn little fellow with very good manners, so my usual rule about "no kids, never, not in my house" is having to bend a bit. At least my knee problems will keep me from being asked to clean a bathroom or whatever.

Gratitude check-in: I'm having a 0/0/0 day, with lots of reading in the pile of interesting nonfiction (e.g., Edmund White on the flâneur—a very cool book) right next to me. I'm not in any kind of pain, just rather less mobile than I usually am. And you guys are great!!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Default Shiny things

I do like jewelry, but I also like beads and prisms and iridescent birds and waterfalls... Pretty much anything that sparkles or shines. I had a cane for a while, and I spray-painted it a really pretty iridescent purple/green. I have been known to leave Christmas lights up all year, or to switch them out for different holidays (pink/red for Valentine's, green for St. Patrick's, some light color for spring/Easter, red/white/blue for summer, purple for Halloween, orange for Thanksgiving, and then back to Christmas).

My jewelry is currently a mess, from moving, but I'd like to hang it from little hooks, or do something similarly cool to your idea, Fiona!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #41  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

Hi ladies. I'm back from my month long trip to the USA. I see I have a lot of catching up to do with everyone and all the posts I missed this past month. Hope everyone is doing well. I did so good while I was home in the US and stayed totally on plan with my Atkins extended induction. Since I started at the end of November I am now as of this morning down 52lbs. I had a great time shopping while I was home because my sizes are so different. For pants I was a 28 and now I'm 24/26 depending on the material. My shirt size has gone from 22/24 to 18/20. My dress size has gone from 28 to a 20. Yes you read that right, a 20!!!! So excited to be continuing to make progress. I didn't lose or gain anything while I was in the US but like I said I stayed totally on plan. Since returning to China the weight is already starting to fall off again at the speed it was prior to my trip back. Looking forward to the next 3 1/2 months and then its summertime and back to the US I go for another vacation.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning! It is my usual early work thread and skinny latte time.

My desk is right by a cabinet that always has snacks on it, as a matter of fact when I first started here I found that it is jokingly called "the trough". I am not so fond of this term but oh well. Right now we have salt and vinegar chips and caramels. Weekly people bring in cakes, chocolates etc. I can literally smell them from my desk as they are on my filing cabinet. I bring in candies because I can resist those (jolly ranchers etc.), my colleagues love them and even if I have one it is fine, but the baked goods are hard to resist. That being said I do resist unless it looks really good and is homemade then I may have a sliver.

FI I do hope you get those knees checked out, I hate Dr's too but sometimes it is necessary. Please give a report on those walking poles once you have tried them out.
When you mentioned the book you are reading I had to give it a google and it looks like something I would enjoy. Paris is my dream vacation and on my bucket list. Are you enjoying the book?

Magpie Thanks for the crossed fingers for an early spring. It is still freezing today and we had more snow on Tuesday, with the freezing temperatures there is a lovely albeit deadly sheen of ice on all the snow. While getting off the bus on Tuesday I slipped and jarred my knee so badly I had to stay home yesterday and nurse it. This cold weather is also tough on my arthritis.

Betsy Cutting the grass, I am envious that you have grass. LOL I hope you are keeping well.

I will have to go soon as my colleagues will start drifting in. I am hoping to read a little, I am currently reading "The World Without Us' by Alan Weisman, I am really getting into it but am almost done. I think I will re-read fast food nation next. Although these books sometimes depress me but are fascinating.

Have a good day all.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #43  
There and Back Again

Hi, shan, welcome back.

Ugh! Not happy with the scale. I should have lost 2 pounds, given my calorie level and exercise, but no. Same weight that I was last week. I'll keep going and hope that I miraculously lose 4 pounds next week.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #44  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Tootsie ~ Yeah I cant wait to smell flowers either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up at 6:45 a.m. Its now 8:23 a.m. I'm currently posting on here and watching t.v. At 11 a.m. I'm gonna do my 40 min. Chair Exercises and then at 6 or 6:30 tonight I'll do my 20 min. 1 mile walking dvd. I have a OBGYN appt. to go to today and then when I get done there my mom,Scott and I are gonna go to Dillions and then we're gonna go get get dinner and then we're gonna come back home.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #45  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Spoke too soon......crash!
Initial adrenalin rush to have the courage to end this 4 year abusive relationship.....now it has hit me. Have cried....alot....today and feel on the verge of it now. I am with Betsy as I could really do with a hug ..or several and a cup of good coffee. don't want to burden my daughter and am keeping as bright and breezy as I can with my lovely young son.
My knees hurt....my chest is as rattly as ever and I am feeling thoroughly sorry for myself.
Sorry chickens.....it will pass.
Closed Thread