Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #61  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Cindy! We have a really nice little community here—very accepting, very supportive—and we love getting newcomers. The more often you post, the more support you'll get. When you're ready, tell us a bit more about yourself, your food & exercise plans, whatever.

I'm really frustrated about my knees—my whole legs, for that matter. The main two problems are that my hamstrings are sore, even when I'm sitting or lying down, and the severe pain in my knees, every time I get up. It doesn't matter what I'm going to do, every physical activity—it could be as simple as taking my coffee cup back into the kitchen—starts out, once I'm standing, with about a minute of serious pain. My trekking poles haven't changed that fact, but I am using them around the house, basically like crutches.

I'm hoping that I'll have the energy, and more importantly, the courage, to put my boots on and go out to the lake trail tomorrow and walk a little ways with the poles. My motivation is strong: I want to be able to get to two app'ts this coming week: Tuesday with my Qigong (chee-gung) instructor, then Wednesday with my regular psychiatrist (whom I see once a month).

Meanwhile, I have plans for two collages that are under time pressure: 'need to finish them by Wednesday at the latest. I didn't get much art done when Grace was here on Tuesday—just too freaked out by my failing-knees experience last Tuesday, and too exhausted by the pain in my knees.

Given how immobilized I am, I'm not very tempted to eat stuff that is off-plan. I'll use that as my dose of gratitude for today: I really appreciate being on track with my modified Atkins diet, because I desperately need to get a bunch more weight off my unhappy knees. =sad but determined face=

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-08-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #62  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Fi.....I hope I am not teaching Grandma to suck eggs....but when my knees are really bad...I have a pair of elbow crutches with comfy-grip handles that I use as mine are prone to giving way when they are really painful. I always think that I would rather be walking well WITH a mobility aid than badly without them. I always take one or sometimes 2 walking poles with me to walk the dogs. If I limp badly...my back aches and then I get sciatica so I don't care of I do look like a muppet walking around the park with a trekking pole designed for mountain walking!

Hi everybody else...sorry I haven't done personals for ages.

Am out of the Slough of Despond.....just about.I have had my hair cut short again and slightly "ruffled" looking which is much more me than long sleek and elegant. It is a mark of defiance to estranged hubby as he didn't like my hair short! I also treated myself to a couple of new brightly coloured tops and a pair of jeans....in a size I am not thrilled with but I am so fed up with my black trousers which have holes in them anyway!

In my dodgy moments I only have to look at my young man to realise how much more we deserve that what he was giving us and the moment passes.

Swimming tomorrow...start slow!
God Bless
Donna
Old 03-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning/afternoon fellow posters. Thanks for the welcome. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the posts, but hope I'll catch up!

I am currently following South Beach Phase 1 and tomorrow is the end of week 1. So far so good, but this isn't my first time around the block either. I have never, ever been a fan of exercise, but I know that will be an important part of this journey... eventually.

I've struggled with my weight my whole life. I've lost and gained and lost and gained and hoping to lose it for good this time. I posted my bio in case anyone is interested lol.

Now, to read some more posts!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

All this talk of hiking poles! I just bought a pair (cheapo ones on Amazon for now), and I think I'm going to go out and try to use them today! Yes! I bought some for hiking, a few years back, and they helped a lot on tough terrain.

I'm taking mine for easy terrain, at least a for a while, because I have arthritis and seem to be able to go a longer distance with that kind of support than without it.

This is mostly for the east coasters (and Washington/Oregon, interestingly), but have y'all heard of Trail Dames? I just found out about them, and I am so excited! They HIKE SLOWLY! And they explicitly welcome curvy women.

Oh! And! Happy International Women's Day!

Last edited by the_magpie; 03-08-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi all....

I have some trekking poles that I bought a few years ago on Amazon... I hardly ever use them but may have to start... right now I walk my dogs when we got and they keep me too busy to worry with the poles but I bet they do help with knee and leg issues...

Hi again Cindy - I have had a weight problem for the greater portion of my life... so I certainly know how you feel... this time I want my loss to be permanent as well... I know that involves me changing the habits of a lifetime... It's going to involve me getting my rump up and moving it... and I have been doing much better than in previous times... I want to get to that point where exercise is my high... I hope that is certainly possible...

Magpie - I read about the TRAIL DAMES and was very interested but sigh I live in Texas and there are not any groups near me

Mountain AKA Donna - I love that you did something for yourself with your hair... I bet it looks cute and just the act of defiance helps also... you sound so much better... I am still praying for you!!!

Fi - you sound like you are in a lot of pain... I truly hope it gets better... I absolutely LOVE your determination...

Betsy - I need to take your lead and get the RV in tiptop shape... as summer will be here before I know it...

Ubee - I know you said you would be busy for the next couple of weeks... just wanted you to know I was thinking about you... hope you are doing aweseome!!!

I just got home from church and am going to do a few little things around the house since we have rain... I need to get in some of my steps... and it will be hard to do with rain about... I guess I will have to do the walking video...

well take care all and have Perfect On Plan day!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 432/378/150

Welcome Cindylh......I am new here too. Good group of people. Can't wait to get to know ya'!

Last edited by Scoble517; 03-08-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Popping in briefly, I normally post to the Chicks in Control binge eating thread, but I have a NSV today!

Today I realized that I fit in the "slacks that I bought when I was at my highest weight ever before I had to buy new slacks because I gained weight and my highest weight ever because my second highest weight ever"! (Or in other words, as that was incredibly circuitous and confusing, I once again fit into my old-really-fat pants, not my new-really-fat pants, which are bigger.)

Last edited by rabidstoat; 03-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #68  

Hi Scoble. Thanks for the welcome. I love it here already.

I can attest that quitting smoking and trying to lose weight at the same time isn't easy. I quit almost 3 years ago while trying to lose at the same time. It worked, for awhile, but since then I've gained back what I lost and then some, but I did quit smoking successfully.

I have asthna with components of COPD, as well, and that is the main reason I want to lose weight. I'm tired of being out of breath all the time and being on so much medication.

Stay focused oin your goals and you will get there. One day at a time, or one craving at a time. Maybe try a piece of gum when you have a craving, or a piece of hard candy, or better yet, a carrot. Whatever works or helps you get through it.

I look forward to getting to know you too.

Last edited by Cindylh; 03-08-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #69  

Fiona, I am sorry you are having so much pain in your knees. My DH had terrible knee pain about a month ago. So severe that it kept him up at night and OTC pain relievers were not helping at all. So we made an appointment with the doctor. They took x-rays and found no abnormalities, but gave him a brace and cortisone shot that completely eased his pain. He has been pain-free ever since.

Pain is the body's way of telling us somerhing is wrong and I wouldn't ignore it.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #70  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Slightly reversed into the Slough of Despond again. I know I shouldn't have but looked at the account that used to be our joint account that estranged husband is using. Lo and behold he has signed up to a dating website (he did this twice when we were together).
All his protestations of everlasting love and that he will do "anything" to get me back for as long as it takes. We have been apart precisely 4 weeks.
Boy it hurts.
Sorry ladies....could you spare a few cyber hugs (and prayers for those who are that way inclined) ?? I really need 'em.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Mountainwalker Crying is a part of letting go and taking care of yourself, you have a right to cry. And you are being a good mom by keeping adult issues to the adult realm by not taking it to your children. But you can vent here and closing the door and having a good cry alone can be therapeutic.

BetsyLooking forward to reading about your RV adventures.

Cindy Welcome!

Fi I hope your legs heal soon and that you mange to get to your appointments.

Another day at work with my latte and computer at my desk.

I decided to quit weight watchers for a slew of reasons, it is not a bad plan at all, but I have my reasons. I made a list of reasons to stay with the paid plan and the reasons to not stay and so like the songs says "Should I stay or should I go" I decided to go. I am a huge Clash fan.

I spend Sunday prepping for a healthy week. I made a bit batch of white bean soup with veggies. I will eat that all week at work for my lunch. I cut up a bin of carrots to have with hummus. I also grated a head of cabbage and tonight I will saute it with ground turkey, onions, garlic, crushed tomatos and that will be dinner for a few nights. I have a big pomelo with my name on it in the fridge, and I plan to have that for two after dinner snacks. Hopefully that will keep cookie cravings in check.

It is milder today and is actually above freezing, 1 degree C., so I walked from the subway to work and that is 15 minutes of walking. I plan on doing the same after work.

Have a good day.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #72  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Mountain: I know that you want to keep tabs on your ex, but you're needlessly hurting yourself. Also, for legal reasons, you need to get your name off of there. If he causes the account to be overdrawn, you are responsible because your name is on the account.

Fi: Hope that you legs get better soon. I'm not sure if I had mentioned before, but there are seated exercises that you can do. Google is a good tool for this. If your legs don't heal soon, you may consider physical therapy. Most insurance plans pay for that.

I'm a little stressed. I procrastinate and wait until the last second to study for tests. This test isn't that big of a deal, given that the course is free, however, if I score really well, I get invited to compete in a national competition. If I do well in that national competition, I may get invited to do more free courses at a university. (I already have an Associate and Bachelor Degree, but not in this particular area.). I got invited to the competition last year, but I couldn't go because it was in Chicago, quite a ways away from me. This year, it's online, but that means that only 200 people will get invited.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Good Monday morning all!!!

Mountain... sending loads of prayers for you... I can honestly say I have been in your shoes to an extent... the less you know the better for your emotional well being... and plucky is right... you definitely have the right to cry... here's a few hugs for you...

Plucky... I like to do that also... Sunday meal prepping for the week... but since it is SPRING BREAK for me I didn't do that this week... the bean soup sounds yummy!!!

Tootsie... I am a procrastinator too... but especially when it was time to study LOL...

It is a rainy, yucky day here in Central Texas... I am hopeful that sometime this week it will dry up and I can get the lawn mowed. I hope we don't have too many more COLD nights. I am going to have to get my steps in indoors most likely today so that means cleaning house and/or stepping indoors with leslie sansone.

Well I hope each of you have a wonderful Perfect On Plan day!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #74  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Betsy ~ I think Winter has FINALLY went away until next year, Thats what I'm hoping anyway. Yeah I dont like going to OBGYN appt's. either.

Cindy ~ Welcome to the thread and forum. I hope you are liking it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up at 7:00 a.m. this morning, Its now 10 a.m. I'm currently watching Total Diva's. I found out that I need to start scheduling my rides on Friday's instead of Monday's so hopefully I can get all of my rides for the the week if I make Friday my scheduling day instead of Monday. So we'll see how it goes. In an hour I'm gonna do my 40 min. chair exercises and then later on today I'm gonna go for a walk outside then at 6 or 6:30 tonight I'll do my 20 min. 1 mile walking dvd.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Mountain Stay strong. It's OK to cry. (And I agree with Tootsie that you should get your name off that account ASAP and then stop looking at it. It's human nature to poke at things that hurt us, but if you can avoid doing that, you'll heal so much faster.)
Closed Thread