Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Question Chocolate and Weight Loss

Is it possible to eat Chocolate in Moderation and still lose weight? If so what kind of Chocolate is okay to eat? I heard 3 Muskteers are good but I've also heard dark chocolate is good too like York Peppermint patties. Thanks for anyone who has any answers.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I have started to do this and will say yes.

My tips are as follows.

First, make sure it is dark chocolate (>70% cocoa). Secondly, eat in strict moderation. Third - here's the trick - eat dark chocolate healthy stuff. I eat dark chocolate coated figs, dates and apricots. Sometimes dark chocolate coated almonds.

So for each one I eat, weight for weight I get mostly good stuff (85%) with just a dash of chocolate coating (15%).

I avoid eating chocolate chocolate on its own or chocolate candies.

Fourth, make your chocolate treats yourself.

I have started to make my own dark chocolate dipped fruits. Yum. I melt dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Add double cream and brandy. Dip fruits and refrigerate. I eat one or two every day after lunch.

Last edited by IanG; 01-07-2015 at 06:18 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I specifically added dark chocolate to my diet when I began my current weight loss plan. Often I eat an entire bar of dark chocolate per day (50g bars), and I am, in fact, eating chocolate right this very moment as I type. I buy high quality dark chocolate over 70% content, from companies that do not process with alkili.

However, the reason I am eating chocolate isn't to lose weight (and I don't think eating chocolate is specifically aiding my weight loss). I'm eating it because:

a) I love it,

b) it replaces less healthy things I would otherwise eat, and

c) there are hundreds of studies (I think there may actually be over 2000 studies examining various contexts) which have shown clear benefits to consuming dark chocolate. Probably the best-confirmed of these benefits is a reduction in blood pressure for even small quantities of dark chocolate when consumed regularly.

Something many studies make special note of is that chocolate must be consumed in place of other calorie sources in the diet in order to avoid weight gain. I am a calorie counter, so it is not difficult for me to ensure I am replacing other calories I would be eating, rather than having chocolate on top of my usual diet.

As you can see from my signature graph, I have been successful so far in losing weight despite my high consumption of dark chocolate.

However, I should note that I am not eating "candy bars" like 3 Musketeers or Yorks Peppermint Patties. I am eating high quality (read: expensive) dark chocolate. My current favourites are Taza brand stone ground chocolate bars (70%, 80% and 87%), and Schokolade Artisan Chocolates (70% and 90% single origin dark).
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It definitely does need to be the good sh!t. I only eat that stuff too.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 110/105/95

Height: 5'2.5

I think it's okay to still eat chocolate. I eat sweets all the time, but I just make sure I don't go over 1200 calories, and that works for me. My favorite is milk chocolate.
Manderscommanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
It definitely does need to be the good sh!t. I only eat that stuff too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderscommanders View Post
I think it's okay to still eat chocolate. I eat sweets all the time, but I just make sure I don't go over 1200 calories, and that works for me. My favorite is milk chocolate.
It's definitely possible to keep losing weight while eating milk chocolate or candy or anything, really... so Manderscommanders is right.

It's calories in, calories out!

Mind you, dark chocolate has some benefits that milk chocolate lacks.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #7  
Turning Into A New Woman

Thanks everyone for your replies
Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #8  

I love chocolate and it can be a slippery, dangerous slope for me.

I found I love making chocolate smoothies with protein powder and Hershey powdered cocoa (in the baking section). It's a real chocolaty flavor and only 10 calories per tablespoon. It really satisfies my cravings.

I would try to steer clear of traditional candy bars such as the 3 Musketeers and Peppermint patty except for a once in a while treat. The companies put too much other junk in them to benefit you.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #9  
Turning Into A New Woman

TheLastStraw323 ~ Thanks for replying back to my thread
Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

You can eat anything and still lose weight if you stick to your calorie goals. I haven't eaten chocolate in a long time because i love reeses cups and those suckers are like 150 calories a pop. Thats like half a lunch! So i stay away unless its a special occasion.
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #11  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

wow calico fox well done on your weight loss!
I too know I am better avoiding chocolate completely. I can't just have one!
Terra...I go with the others...as long as it's counted in what ever way you are dieting then it's fine...as long as you know it won't send you spinning out of control. Dark choc is better as it has less sugar and rubbish.
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #12  
Turning Into A New Woman

Hey Donna ~ Thanks for replying to my thread. I'll take your advice and fit it into my calories sometimes, Not every day.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 228/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'8

I modify my diet to work around the chocolate. I'm a calorie counter and lost 40lbs, chocolate included. I make sure I have it at a set time (after dinner) and it fits within my calorie goals. I also eat extra dark, it took some adjustment because I'm a milk chocolate girl through and through but now it's no problem. I'll sometimes sub out the chocolate for a teaspoon of nutella or a hot chocolate (premixed, hot water only) and it does the trick.
If anyone ever told me I had to eliminate chocolate entirely, it just wouldn't happen.
Paisleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #14  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Terra, thanks for posting. This post helped me as well. I happen to love any form of chocolate, including dark, so I'm not sure if it is wise for me to consume at this point. I have found that my sweets cravings are mitigated by a low carb, high protein pumpkin bar recipe that I found. Jamie Eason's posted a lot of good recipes on the bodybuilding site. I've seen people making brownies out of black beans. I'm afraid to try them. Peanut butter is another weakness of mine. That fake pb just isn't that great to me. I'm just starting to admit that I have a problem around certain foods, so I'm avoiding them until I'm more in control.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #15  
Turning Into A New Woman

I'm glad my post has been helpful to you too Tootie, Fake Peanut butter...I've never heard of that, I love any form of Chocolate too.