Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #121  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi Ladies...whatever happened to Dean? Hope you are OK.
Ubee....a quick sheep update.....we have 5 heavily in-lamb ewes that have taken to escaping from their field and heading in to our neighbour's garden. It is making a good job of cutting his grass! We park our car in his drive as he works away and each morning on the way to school we are greeted by 5 happy sheep faces. Unless it is raining of course because sheep hate the rain and in Wales it rains ALOT.
Fi ...glad your kitty cats are on the mend. Our lovely cat Mivvy went out one night a few weeks ago and did not come back which is most out of character so we have had to accept that she is gone. We spent many hours scouring the mountain roads with the help of our neighbours but there was no sign. My son was heartbroken as he is a cat-person even though he loves the dogs.
TOgden 3 ...I empathise with you about your daughter. My 9 year old son is heavier than he should be and due to feet and knee problems is unable to run or play much sport. He gravitates towards unhealthy stuff as kids do, though enjoys fruit and some veggies too and loves fish. I know as parents we want our children to avoid the same food traps that we have fallen in to and it is tempting to ban anything remotely unhealthy. I would just like to share something with you. When I hit puberty kind of early I went from being a bit of a dumpling to quite an overweight teen. My Mum put me on a diet (quite a strict one) and from that moment on my relationship with food became screwed up. If she had only encouraged me to take a bit more exercise instead then I may have avoided 35 years of yo yo dieting. I try with my boy to encourage exercise and avoid restricting food. As a foot note..as soon as I started to earn money on my Saturday job I would buy peanuts and chocolate and eat them in secret....now THERE'S a habit I wish I had never started. It isn't easy though....so good luck and I am thinking of you.

Terra....how is Clyde?

Betsy and Sam how are your Christmas preps coming along?

Ubee.....my daughter is only home for 8 days as she has to study for January exams. Her course is pretty intense and she is exhausted. She has had blood tests due to ongoing fatigue and the GP has muttered about PCOS which has really upset her.

Off to the Docs now.....again! Love and hugs from a very Wet Wales
Donna
Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #122  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Donna ~ Clyde is doing good. Thanks for asking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I woke up at 6 a.m. Its now 10:36 a.m. and I'm about to do my morning Chair Exercises. I'm gonna do my walking dvd at 1 p.m. and then I'll do my evening Chair Exercises at 7 p.m. tonight. I need to clean the bathroom as well, I've been putting it off for too many days.

Last edited by Terra1984; 12-18-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Hopefully I have much better luck today with posting than yesterday. Definitely winter out here -- lots of rain (Donna are you feeling like moss could grow on you from all the rain like I do!) and heading towards the shortest day of the year.

Tami -- Lots of good suggestions and comments about helping your daughter. It's not easy as all of us know from personal experience. My only suggestion is if possible do it together and make it fun. Get her involved in planning the menu and even let her help cook if that's possible. Good luck.

Terra -- You're a good doggie mommy. Sorry about the bus pass snafu.

Ubee -- Thanks for recommending the green bean casserole dish. I found a squash casserole where she decided that using the "sauce" from the grean bean one would taste good -- and it does. Glad you're back on track and you definitely sound more chipper.

Sam -- I'm exhausted just reading about your workouts! Hope you're able to go to VA for Christmas, but knowing about your hubbie's medications ahead of time would have helped with the planning. You're a good friend to your girlfriend -- I know she will love her presents. I'm wishing you a happy birthday now. At my age, unless I write it down remembering dates is a fleeting event.

Fi -- Glad you're finding your way back to 0/0/0 and hope you can stay there. Sounds like the kitties bring you and Bob so much pleasure and joy. It has to be a tremendous relief to be nearing the end of the medicine for them.

Donna -- Hope you're feeling as good as your post sounds. I'm all ready for Christmas -- everything is wrapped and since I'm not making candy or cookies this year, there's not even that to do. Love the description of your sheep. I'd say they are living proof of that adage about the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence.

Cleaning today and tomorrow (the house is really in need of a deep cleaning this time), the boys will be here Saturday night and we'll go to the light show. Sunday I'll run into town while the Seahawks game is on to get the gates for my fence that I want to have installed. There's almost no one in the stores during the game so it's a good time to avoid the crowds. Monday and Tuesday I may start tackling cleaning out the garage. Or not.....depends on how much of a procrastinating mood I'm in.

On the diet front I realized that while I definitely lose weight on Atkins with lowering my carbs, I still have to really watch my calorie intake. And, I just do better if I just eat 2 meals a day instead of 3. So I'm on a 3-way diet: calorie counting, low carb, and IF. Explains a lot about me.......and you're free to think I'm nuttier than a fruitcake because I join you in that assessment! Have a great day all.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good Afternoon!
Another busy day with a few poor choices. Stopping it now.
Betsy just want you to know that you are my favorite fruit cake! Why on earth would you tackle the garage during the holidays??? Unless, you are going to unload "treasures" on the family.
Terra how is that bathroom looking? Glad Clyde is doing OK. Give him a big kiss for me!
Donna I am so sorry about your kitty. Thanks for the sheep update. I do have my daughters stuffed sheep on my bed as she has too many to fit on hers.
Fi glad to see you posting. I do miss you but understand and only want what is best for you. Thanks for sharing about your kitties friendship it warms my heart.
Sam do you think you could turn into one of those little angels that sits on my shoulder and encourages me to eat healthy and get moving. In reality I think of all of you through out the day when I am good and when I make poor choices.
Gotta run.
Have a peaceful day!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 320/314/160

Height: 5'10"

How I have missed you all!! I can't even think of where to begin with all that has been happening this week.. Besides having two 2-year old girls and a 6 month old boy to watch, I have also been working on (and finished yesterday) filling out Christmas cards, addressing the envelopes and mailing out 160 cards to the men who attend our prison services.. Wow.. My hand is about ready to fall off.. and I wanted to do my own this year too.. We will see if I get that accomplished this weekend. What a long process.. I think next year I need to get a move on it much sooner than 2 weeks before Christmas.

Then there is the house business... PRAISE THE LORD we are closing tomorrow!!! I mean.. wow. I know this process happened way faster than is normal (from the date we first looked at the house to closing it has been exactly 1 month and 1 week...) now I know why people usually take 4 months to close... ugh.. never again!! Although, my hubby and I love the house so much and have so many plans for making it our own that I don't see us moving out ever. We will be moving in sometime either this weekend or next week.. and honestly, if we have to move in on Christmas day, I'm ok with that. What a gift!! Our first home!! SO excited! No more white walls!!! I love color. Anyway, the first half of this week was so much paperwork for the house that I thought we had started the loan process all over again! And with my husband out of town it was extra challenging to get it all accomplished. But God worked it out.

My eating is not so good these last few days. I have been run ragged with Christmas cards and house paperwork and packing so I have eaten things that are quick and easy. I managed to avoid fast food (surprise, surprise!) until last night.. and that was totally a defiant move on my part.. not because I was hungry. It was like a teenager saying, oh yeah?? Watch me! I feel awful today. A smoothie is in order for breakfast tomorrow.. and maybe even supper tonight. I'll just be glad to get settled into the new house. I will get that membership to my gym and I will get serious about losing weight. I see Sam's progress and motivation and it is stirring up the same inside me. I have done it before. I will do it again. No excuses. I just know I'm not going to add anything to my plate until we are moved. I need to rest too. I've gotten 6 hours or less of sleep every night this week and it is certainly taking a toll. Anyway, blah blah blah.. I've gone on long enough!

Ubee, quick note.. I sure wish I had packed myself in a box and shipped myself to the new house.. Or even just sat in the back bedroom here with all the other boxes and waited to be moved.. hahahaha... Pity that idea wouldn't work in real life.

I am sorry no other personals today.. thanks if you took the time to read my ramblings! If I don't get back on til a few days later, or even a week, I pray you all have a blessed weekend and Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #126  
Turning Into A New Woman

Betsy ~ Thanks for saying I'm a good doggie mommy and for commenting on me losing the bus passes.

Ubee ~ The bathroom is clean now. Clyde is now in heaven with my grandma, His first owner. Before he was given the shot the vet said he could tell because of his spine that he was in pain so I'm glad he isnt any pain anymore.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everyone!

It's late so no personals tonight. Went to the gym and DH treated me to sushi tonight...not completely on plan but I was still under my calorie goals for today. I tried a sea scallop nigiri (raw sea scallop on top of a little rice ball) for the first time ever and it was delicious!!!

I got my friend's gift all ready and packaged pretty for tomorrow...I can't wait to give it to her! It's driving me nuts keeping a secret from her...I'm very bad with keeping gifts a secret to anyone really lol...I just get so excited!!!

DH and I are supposed to decide this weekend if we are going to go to VA. More like he has to decide what he wants to do. If we go we won't be able to leave until the day after christmas...I hate that he's so undecisive lol...

This weekend is going to be pretty busy so I will do my best to post but please don't worry if I go missing for a short while...I will be back!!

Have a great night everyone!! One love!!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #128  
Started IP 11/17/2014

S/C/G: 455 (IP 444.4)/ticker/244

Height: 5'11"

Hey Ladies

So the holiday is quickly approaching and I find myself busier and busier which I thought would be the exact opposite since I completed all of my shopping prior to the Thanksgiving. Very excited today is the last day of school and then I can sit back and relax for 2 entire weeks since we don't return to school until January 5th.

Things seem to be going well ... i was in a little 3 week weight loss challenge and although I didnt win I was able to see that I am down another 1.5lbs just since Monday.

As far as my little one goes we have been talking about good foods and bad foods and the effects different foods have on our bodies, teeth, skin, hair, etc. She has been helping me do more cooking for dinner and packing her lunches and I have taken her lunch snacks and placed them on the highest shelf in the cabinet where if she wants it she will have to ask because we don't have any stools or chairs in the kitchen.

One day at a time I guess ..... HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good Morning!
Terra I am so sorry about Clyde. I know you will miss him so much. I hope it brings you comfort knowing that you did the right thing to stop his pain and let him be in Heaven with your grandma. Maybe you could buy a special frame to put your favorite picture of him in as a memorial. Sending you a big hug.
Bllondy try to stay on track as much as you can during this busy time and enjoy yourself!
Sam thanks for checking in and letting me know not to worry if you are not on as much. Stay on plan and have fun.
Tami I think Donna made a good point earlier about totally restricting foods. I try to only keep on plan foods in the house. When she goes out I suggest she looks at others plates as a clue on portion control. Of course I remind her some will take too much and some too little. I tell her to save the off plan foods for special occasions.
Betsy I have started to make a few treats and have given them away but I need to stick to my resolve. I do sample and that leads to cravings. How are you doing with not making cookies, chex, ...?
Fi here is hoping you get to see your 3 0's today.
Another busy day and have a plan.
Have a peaceful day.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #130  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hello everybody.
Bllondy.......I am soooo happy for you. What a manic few weeks for you but worth every ounce of effort. It took us 6 months from viewing to completion and that was no chain on our side!
I would like to share a (small) epiphany I may not have been on plan for weeks and as for exercise....pah! Bad chest and head in a bad place put pay to that!
BUT

I have started to take a bit of care with my appearance! I know it doesn't sound much but as I have serious confidence issues (fat...ugly stupid....you know the type of thing!) I have warned my hubby as he has a few trust issues and am starting to take care of my nails and hair and even just looked up how to put bendy rollers in my hair! I know from previous experience that once I start doing that the eating and exercise follow eventually. That is because I move away from self harming by stuffing myself to the point of pain and nausea.....and I really do use it as a form of self harm.

My Therapist has recommended a wonderful book called "Reinventing Your Life" by Young and Klosko. It talks about Lifetraps and has a therapeutic approach called Schema Therapy which is what my therapist is working with.
I can highly recommend this book. I got it from Amazon and even with postage from the US it was less than £10.

We have recently had a shower fitted for my disabled husband and I cannot tell you what a pleasure it is to shower daily....more importantly...to WANT to shower daily and wash my hair.

Phew!! Big day!
Hello to everybody else....hope your Christmas preparations are going well.
Big big big hugs
Donna
Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #131  

Good morning all. At least I think it's morning. Almost 8 AM here and the sun is just beginning to make an appearance. Two more days and then I'm sure I'll notice that extra minute/day that we start gaining. (It's a happy place here in Betsyville!).

Ubee -- Glad I'm your favorite fruitcake especially since fruitcakes are not exactly on plan! Why tackle the garage? See former comment about nuttier than a fruitcake! Haven't missed the cookies and candy and Chex mix so far. A friend invited us up for German Chocolate birthday cake tonight, and I declined. I'm on a mission!

Bllondy -- I'm exhausted from just reading what you've done. So glad that the closing is tomorrow -- oops, make that TODAY now! You're a good soul to add in all the Christmas preparations for your ministry as well as your job. Your first house is exciting and I hope you have a lifetime of wonderful memories created there.

Terra -- from one doggy mommy to another. You have done the right thing and easing their pain is our final gift to them. I know you'll have some lonely days ahead, but I do believe that if there's a heaven that all our pets will be there.

Sam -- Your hubby is lucky to have you because if I still didn't know if I was taking a trip at this point, I'd be gearing up for a major battle. Of course, this could explain why you're married and I'm not! Enjoy your friend's visit and getting to watch her open her gifts will make the waiting worthwhile.

Tami -- Sounds like you've got a good start on working with your daughter on her eating. Good job!

Donna -- Thank you so much for sharing about beginning to take care of yourself from a grooming/primping point of view. It made me realize that I tend to take care of me much better when I'm thinner as well.

Didn't get the cleaning done yesterday as I had a friend stop by to see Toby and me. He rough housed with Toby and just wore him out -- which is always a good thing! Then I talked on the phone for an hour with a friend on the east coast. My nephew called and their plans have changed so the little guys won't be here this weekend after all. Which, actually, is fine since we'll be seeing them next week.

I'm definitely having to watch the calorie count with being on Atkins. Caught myself sneaking pecans as a snack (definitely not on induction), and think that is slowing down the weight loss. No more of that stuff today! Off to the gym and then I really do have to do some cleaning around here. Have a great day!

Last edited by betsy2013; 12-19-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #132  

Lessen learned. Just checked on the calorie and carb count of pecans. For 1/2 cup of the pecan halves, it's 400 calories and 8 grams of carbs. Just looked at the 1/2 cup and realized that I was probably closer to a cup......might explain the weight loss slow down.

New Rule for Betsy: Always check the calorie/carb content BEFORE stuffing it in your mouth.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #133  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick note to say I'm a bit weary, what with helping my great-niece Grace make collages for Christmas presents. Her father is not at all pleased with my not getting her home 'til after 11 PM on our last Friday, though, so our time has been cut back from her having no curfew at all, to her father now saying she has to be home at 9 PM. =sigh= That really seems unfair to Grace and me, since the whole point of having our day together be Friday is that she doesn't have school the next day. I don't feel I should intervene on that subject, though, because it's an issue best resolved between Grace and her dad. Maybe we can meet on Monday next week during the day, since she will be on Christmas vacation.

At any rate, that's the only negative news I have to report, because I'm having a string of 0/0/0 days. Yay!! Have a great weekend y'all, and good luck with staying away from the candy and cookies. I'm rooting for you, for all of us! The next time I write, I should have a festive seasonal collage to show y'all.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Hello all. I haven't been on the forums in about 3.5 months, because there was a snag with my surgery date, and I've spent those last 3 months feeling awful, and battling my depression the worst it's ever been.

I was scheduled for surgery September 15th, 2014. September 12th, I was told I needed another pulmonology clearance, because I had been battling pneumonia for 4+ months, and they needed to make sure I could handle the anesthesia.

Long story short, my pulmonologist couldn't clear me, as my lung function was at 30%. Also found out that day that my previous doctors had been mis-diagnosing me for months. I likely NEVER had pneumonia. What a urine screen did show was that I had histoplasmosis (a fungal infection in my lungs). My surgery was immediately cancelled, and I was put on pills to clear up the infection, and told I had to come back in 3 months for a check up, and to check my lung function.

Due to the amount of scar tissue in my lungs, from being mis-diagnosed for months, and the infection taking a toll on my lungs, I can hardly do any walking/activity, without getting seriously winded. Even as a 400 lb woman, I've always been able to jog, walk, do the elliptical for an hour, etc.

I spent the next 3 months basically just in pain and crying over the fact that I didn't' have my surgery, even though I knew it was for the best, because it would have been risky to put me under with lung function being as low as it was. I disappeared from these forums, the obesityhelp forums, and just stopped talking about WLS, because I was in such a bad place.

Last week, I had my 3 month follow-up. It included another urinalysis, and a lung function test. My urine came back negative for histoplasmosis (yay!), and my lung function is now at 76. He said an 80 would be very good. Then he said those magic words: "I don't see any reason why you can't be cleared for surgery". After I cried in his office for a good five minutes, he faxed the clearance to my surgeon as I was sitting there.

Two days later I got the call: my surgery is rescheduled for January 6th. 18 days from now. I never thought they would get me in so quickly. I'm back to being nervous, but ready to take control of my life, and start 2015 off with a bang.

Last edited by kayleystar; 12-19-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #135  
Turning Into A New Woman

Betsy ~ Thanks for commenting on Clyde going to heaven.
Closed Thread