Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #211  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Betsy— That's so sweet you asked yourself "What would Fi do?"—and terrific that the deep breathing helped you out. The more I find myself going into slow belly breathing when I'm having one of my moments when I'm trashed and I lie down on the couch (cuddling with kittens =smile=), the more I'm becoming a fan of that technique. It even helped me with the first of the Qigong (not Qidong: I was spelling it wrong) exercises my instructor gave me, because it involved a long slow inhale and a long slow exhale. When I told my instructor I've been practicing the slow breathing for about six months now, he said, "Wait until you've been doing it for a year!" Not sure what he meant by that, but I'm glad I'm doing the slow belly breathing.

Terra— Your plan sounds good to me: I hope the new shoes help you out.

Ubee— So what's up with you now? Did my explanation about psychological and biological causes of sugar cravings make sense to you? I want to hear about your prospects for embracing a sugar-free lifestyle. Is it a possibility for you? Are you ready to take the plunge?

MissBB— Sorry to hear you're struggling with killer hormones. I, for one, am definitely adverse to getting too hot. It's all that extra insulation we have: it means our brains get overcooked and go on the fritz. I don't know where I'd be without air conditioning. I grew up in Houston, which is a very hot, very humid tropical city, so I grew up in an air-conditioned bubble: cars, schools, stores, homes, you name it, they're all air-conditioned to the max. My mother is a fat woman, and she used to turn the a/c down to like 70 degrees in our house—chilly!

Sam— Good for you that you're aiming for 100%, A++, gold stars, etc.! Your work-outs are an inspiration to all of us. What do you do to reward yourself? Do you ever plan ahead for a special reward, like buying something you really want, or doing something really nice with your husband, when you hit your milestone weights?

Shan & Donna— Where are you guys? Whazzup?

I'm doing good now, having a steady stream of zeros on my mood chart since Monday morning, but I had some real struggles at the end of last week and over the weekend. But it wasn't depression I was suffering from, it was mania! Yes, folks, I am bipolar, so my moods can swing up into +1 (which is fun for me, but annoying to those around me, since my tho'ts are racing very fast and I'm talking, talking, talking, talking) and +2 (very very jittery, freaking out, often gets into what's called a "mixed state" of +2 and -3 at the same time: yucky beyond belief).

I started swinging into the plus direction right after my Thursday session with my Qigong instructor. He taught me a new exercise, and for a few days there I was literally frightened to try it at home, because I thought it had made me manic. I used a lot of medications to chill myself out, though, and by Monday morning I finally got myself back on track. Now I'm doing the new exercise multiple times a day, and I love how much energy it gives me! Today it even kept me from getting hungry for lunch: it was weird, because usually afternoons are my worst time of day, when I just rest and try not to get depressed, but today, wow, today not only was I not hungry for lunch, I made a trip to the arts & crafts supply store and handled all the stress of the drive and that exasperating store which has tons of gaudy crap and not much in the way of the supplies I need. When I got home I was completely exhausted, but still in a happy frame of mind. I didn't eat lunch until 6 PM! I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing, but I love all this Qi flowing through me, now that I've stopped going +1 and +2. =whew=

I have had full-blown manic episodes in the past, going up into +3 and +4, and let me tell you, I am as crazy as can be when that happens, a danger to myself and others, and super-super-miserable. It's not something to mess around with, which is why these recent +2 experiences had me quaking in my boots.

On Thursday I'm going to tell my Qigong instructor about my mania struggles over the weekend. He is so wise, I bet he'll be able to tell me what to do if that ever happens again.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #212  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Fiona ~ Yeah I hope the new shoes solve the problem.

Last edited by Terra1984; 09-30-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Evening Everyone! I'm 2 for 2 on the work out front and 100% on the eating this week so far! I didn't post last night because I was so pooped after the gym that I was ready for bed....Tonight I did HIIT at home and plan on working on abs tomorrow from home after I run all of my errands after work. Tonight I had to basically kick and scream like a baby to finish my work out...It sucked and I about died being out of breath, but I look at it as a sign of completion and getting back on track.

I didn't realize the time until now...A makeup artist shouldn't drool over makeup late at night, time gets the best of you lol...Short personals then off to bed for me!

Betsy Thanks for the encouragement. I think you will be good on your plan once you have the time and make the time to start focusing on yourself again...having to be there for others makes it hard to want to focus on yourself because you're so worried about the other person and forget to think about yourself. It sounds like you're taking the proper steps though to get started and so proud of that!!!

Fi Thanks for the love!! I'm gonna check out that swap-bot thingy...sounds interesting...Fingers X'd for a loss this week!

Ubee Hope you are ok...didn't see you post today, but know I'm thinking about you <3

Ok all I'm off, tomorrow's pay day, woo hooo!!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #214  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Default Ooops

Hello everybody! No I hadn't scuttled off in to a dark corner again like some sort of Welsh cockroach....here I am!
I have been kinda busy........I will say that again as it feels really good! I have been kinda busy!
Monday was a lovely! Went to Welsh class then finally had my chest xrayed then went to see my Therapist( more of this in a minute!) Then in the evening 9 year old and I went for a swim. The pool was amazingly quiet and we had it to ourselves for a time! Oh for a private pool!
Yesterday my boy was home a bit below par.....nothing serious just enough to lie on the sofa under a duvet! Psychiatrist in the afternoon which went well and doggy training last night. I have felt sooooooooo languid for such a long time....either that or just plain ill, it was great to be able to get out of the house.
Today it is the much-put off house chores but my son is still under the weather and so is here doing a bit of school work ( I am such a strict Mum!)
So here's my Therapy update. We haven't touched on my eating habits yet but yesterday we talked about the link between my poor physical health and my mental health. For me it's always seemed Physical health deteriorates....mental health follows, but it is not as easy as that. We talked about how being ill when I was a kid just gave my Mum another reason to be irritated by the inconvenience of having kids. In short....if I was ill I was on my own...even when I had Glandular Fever aged 10.
Fast forward to the present. First signs of a cold or whatever.....deep down panic about "being a nuisance". Episode of anxiety or panic or whatever....altered breathing patterns and known decrease in immunity.
So I have to keep a mood/illness diary to track what triggers what.

I also had an amazing insight into my ....erm....life (ie man) choices which I am happy to share via PM if anyone is interested.
Food choices have been much better...not perfect...but hey! Exercise a bit evasive but my general activity levels are up so I am hoping that counts!
Sorry no personals but I have read everybody's posts so consider myself up to date!
Off to don rubber gloves and an apron and attack the kitchen!
HAVE A GREAT DAY,
dONNA
Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

Good Morning!

Missed everyone yesterday because I got rear-ended on the way into work. LOL. Just damage to the bumper, but I had to spend some time on paperwork and going to the body shop for estimates. Oh well.

Starting off with some Maple Nut coffee today. Mmmm, that maple smell is wicked.

Have a great day!

Dean
Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #216  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to the Oct. Thread
Closed Thread