Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!
Sam the fajitas sound wonderful! I'm going to try them with chicken. I am so excited to see your pictures.
Fi sending you a hug. When I read your post all I could see was the great potential the farm held for you, Bob and the kitties in the future WITHOUT the family. Defending our mental, physical, food,...space/boundries is so important. Our homes must be our safe zone.
Betsy be careful a John Deere is a guy magnet! Not like you need any help. What are you making with your fresh fruits and veggies? I am so hungry for green beens and so many things. We are having a late season so I am getting impatient. No our store does not have fresh green beens.
Terra just happy to see your weight is going down and you are getting healthier. Are you finding it easier to walk?
Have to pull weeds today. My green thumb is working overtime with them. Picture Jack in the beanstock.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #47  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

HI ladies... I fell behind I guess. I was so busy yesterday taking my Dad grocery shopping, then had to go buy some of my son's bday stuff that's coming up. Were doing the dreaded Peter Piper. I begged him to want something else but that's what he wants. Were doing it on a Monday night to make it hopefully a little better and now so crowded. Did I say I hate Peter Piper. Blah..

Sam sorry for your soreness.. I get like that too when I walk too much. I don't do nearly as much as you, but a combination of being so heavy and walking gets me sore every time. Hope you feel better.

Fi, that house sounds like a dream. I love old farmhouses. Very nice. Would love to see some pics if you have some.

Betsy, haha.. have fun with your new toy. Your so cute. Let us know how it goes. I'm on the same page as you. I would much rather have something in my scrapbook room then jewelry or flowers.

Ubee, get your me time in. I've come to the realization that me time is priority. You have to have it. We have so much to do and it's important. My husband and I usually try and give each other space at least once a week if not twice. That way we don't go bat crazy. We were alone for 14 years before my son came along so it was a huge adjustment because we weren't used to sharing our time with a 3rd person. He's almost 6 now and were still getting used to it.
Anywho.. hopefully you got your alone time in.

Yesterday was not so good for me. I pretty much skipped breakfast because we left to go and get my dad so quickly. My Dad wanted to go to Burger King after the grocery store (yep I said it.. we went shopping for food then to Burger King) but guess what I didn't get anything!! I was so excited. Even though I skipped breakfast and was hungry I didn't get anything. We went home I had 2 yogurts. I worked on a Make n Take I have coming up, then went to another store. By the time dinner came I was starving and had to helpings of roast, rice, broccoli, then 2 cookies late. So it wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. I am noticing though that my stomach must be shrinking because I get full allot faster. yay for that. Before I could never even tell if I was full or not.

Hope everyone has a great day!!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. Sounds like everyone is busy and active this week.

Fi Your long weekend sounds wonderful. I could picture you in "your" room getting it decorated the way you want and using it to inspire you in your creative endeavors. Glad that you were able to go, and hopefully you and Bob can spend much more time there in the future. And I totally understand the having all that carb stuff at night -- you've gotten back on track a lot faster than I seem to be able to do.
Sam Your green bean fajitas sound wonderful!!!! I was thinking that if you wanted something to wrap them in without having the calories and carbs from a tortilla that a big iceberg lettuce leave would work well -- cool off the heat a little and give some crunch as well.
Ubee Not making much of anything with the fresh fruits and veggies. I usually just end up steaming the veggies and eat the fruit raw. They are so good and so flavorful this time of year that I don't do anything to them. Eventually I have to get back to weed pulling myself. Ugh!
Angie It is so hard to get through a whole day with both not eating and trying to avoid eating at places where the selections are so limited. Overall, I think you did pretty well.

Meeting a friend tonight for dinner -- will definitely be having some sort of salad -- and will try to get some light dusting and vacuuming done around here. Toby drags in so much dirt into the house. Tomorrow things should begin to get back to normal. We're due for hot weather this weekend -- in the 90s -- and without AC, it's going to be a long weekend.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Ubee I'm excited about the pictures too. Hope you had a wonderful day

Angie I'm still a little sore but feeling better after walking again today.

Betsy It's more of a nacho thing for me. I do regularly make chicken fajitas and use romaine lettuce instead of tortillas. It's on of my favorites.

DH and I got done with our walk and I'm relaxing for now. We did 4.52 miles in 1:25:24!! Pretty happy about it but very tired. I'm loving this app!!

We have to go get some food for the kitties and get some vitamins so I'm off for now.

Have a great night!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #50  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Betsy ~ Yeah I always stick to the scale that shows me weighing the least, Yeah my day was busy on Tuesday it usually always is. Thanks for commenting on my quilt, It is beginning to look neat, I'll post a picture soon.

Ubee ~ Yeah I've finding it easier to walk now, Im happy to see myself losing and getting healthier too.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #51  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Well, it took me a few days, but my eating is back on the straight & narrow again. I'm so glad that I've de-toxified myself from the sugar. Some of the symptoms it causes me include cramping gut, narrowed & congested bronchi, agitated mental state, and extreme tiredness—really a b**ch when they're happening all at once, believe me! I feel so much better when I'm sugar-free, it's amazing.

Sam— Thanks for the upbeat words about the aftermath of my binge: they really shore me up! That's so great about you and your sweetheart walking together. There are lots of options for walking at the farm, when Bob has all the trails mowed, so exploring those is definitely in my future. In the meantime I really want to do some little walks around the neighborhood: 'gotta get back to work on the BERP first, though. (BERP = Big Entropy Reduction Project, for those of you who don't know: it's a massive house decluttering operation, 12 weeks so far in duration.)

Betsy— I don't know how you cope without a/c: having grown up in Houston, where it's essential to life and limb, I'm just so used to it, it's hard to imagine. But we don't have a/c at the farm. I'm considering a window unit for my room, so I can go up in the hot part of the summer, but it's such a short season when it's needed, I hate the thought of blocking the marvelous view of the valley out that side window of the house. At any rate, I hope you can be lazy when it's hot: it's really the only viable option—lying prone and reading trashy fiction. =laugh=

Angie— I'll try to come up with pictures of the farm after the push on the BERP is over. The porch is the best part—mostly white with gray boards underneath—but it's gotten shabby and desperately needs to be painted. After I get my room fixed up, I'll definitely take pics in there. You should be careful about going to fast-food places with relatives: if I were you, I'd make a really strong distinction between what you, being on a diet, eat, and what other people eat. However you wanna play it, be bold about speaking up for your food rights! =smile=

Ubee— You're right on the money about defending our mental space, emotional space, eating space, the whole thing....We're too far along in life to let encroachments from other people throw us off track from what we're committed to doing. Do you find you get more mileage, diet-wise, from thinking about your commitment to others, or your commitment to yourself? For me it's the latter, although I do care about being around as Bob's helpmate & companion for the rest of his life. Somehow I expect to outlive him...

Terra— I've really enjoyed hearing about your T-shirt quilt! It's so nice you're talking a little more about what's going on in your world. I like getting to know people and what's on their mind...

Speaking of what's on our mind, I've uploaded a few things, for those of you who take an interest in my art. I mentioned that my great-niece Grace and I are both working on art journals with decorated covers. They didn't quite fit on my scanner, but I was able to scan most of the front cover of mine ("dada" is the art movement that has influenced me more than any other: google it and read the Wikipiedia entry if you want to learn what it is) and the back cover (the shark is my own drawing of a female mako). Plus I put up some asemic writing that I did: asemic writing is writing that has no meaning at all. I'm planning to start incorporating some of it in my collages.

Last edited by Fiona W; 07-12-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #52  

Good morning all. It's just a little after 8 and the heavy equipment operators are continuing to dig to try to get a house on what is basically a cliff. Don't think I mentioned, but a new house is being built on one of the lots on the ridge I live on and they're doing all the excavating for creating a building spot. It will only be for a few more days because I don't think there's much dirt left to be moved!

Sam Just repictured your recipe as nachos and substituted a lettuce bed for the nacho chips -- that would be great! I like the idea of using romaine lettuce for fajitas, too -- would hold up a lot better than iceberg. 4.5 miles in 1.5 hours -- you're pretty close to jogging speed. Way to go!!!!
Terra Looking forward to seeing the quilt. I love quilts and am in awe of anyone who has the patience to create one. Let's just say that any sewing project is not on my list of accomplished skills.
Fi Believe me, if I still lived in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Georgia or North Carolina, I'd have AC. But it is so seldom hot out here that for the 3-4 days a year when AC would be nice, it's not needed. And if it really gets too bad, I just move downstairs as the basement stays pretty much in the 70s since it has dirt on 3 sides. There's a full apartment down there, so I survive. Although it is a little funny to see me sitting in the grands kiddie pool to cool off. Will definitely start picking out my trashy novels to read!
Ubee Where are you?

Off to the gym and then I'm going to do some weeding until it gets too hot to be outside. Have a great day!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #53  

Little slow at the office this afternoon so I have a few minutes to check in

I am super tired today....Was pooped from the walking last night then DH and I had to make a Wal-Mart run to get more vitamins and food for the kitties...We also bought a tank filter for the turtle so I'm sure she'll be a happy camper after she gets used to the water trickling into the tank. I didn't get to bed until after midnight again like I have done a couple times this week and my baby cat kept me up a lot last night. She's in heat right now. We thought she was done because she's been pretty quiet the past two days, but last night it was wide open! She was trying to get her a boyfriend lol!!!

My usual rest day from working out is Sundays but DH and I still end up doing something even if it's just light exercise so I think I may take a rest day tonight instead. I am still slightly groggy from the sleepless night I had last night.

I think DH is going to make jerk chicken tonight...It sounds like a yummy dinner...Hopefully he remembered to take out some chicken to thaw...I haven't been able to reach him all day via text. He's probably got his phone on silent and doesn't hear the text lol...Silly boy!!

It's been rainy and dreary all day today....Maybe I'll read a book tonight or watch a good movie. Haven't had much time to just veg out lately because I'm trying to stay as active as possible

Fi Glad things are coming back to normal for you and so proud of you for getting back on track!

Betsy That sounds like a pretty good idea....Reminds me of a chicken fajita salad I make sometimes

Well I guess I better get back to work...meh....At least it's Friday!! Hope everyone has a good night...Check in tomorrow!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #54  

Hi Everyone!
I was on mom/wife overtime today.
Sam a rainy day and a book sounds sooo nice.
Betsy just a little weed advice. If you let them get tall enough you hardly have to bend to pull them. Don't ask how I know that.
Fi glad you are detoxed. Hope you are not having any cravings.
Terra I can not wait to see your quilt.
Angie don't worry about falling behind just pop in when you can.
Sorry not feeling chatty today but I hope you are all well.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #55  
rockin' my 60s!

I must apologize in advance for reporting that I'm in a bit of a crisis. Despite de-toxing myself from the sugar and getting back on my eating plan, the stress that I described happening at the farm over the 4th-of-July weekend has caught up with me. Yesterday I went into a very severe level of depression pain. This morning after I woke up I went with some trepidation to my bottle of Geodon (my "prn" in times of crisis) and counted how many I have. To my immense relief, I found I have more than enough to get me through until Monday, when my psychiatrist will get back from vacation. Geodon lessens the most severe depression by only a little, but the higher dose that I can take at such times does at least put me to sleep, and I wake up on the other side feeling quite a bit better. And the mild-to-moderate pain is wiped out almost entirely by Geodon.

The other stress that has been dogging me for a couple of months now, which I mentioned only once some time ago, is that Bob's and my medical-&-pharmaceutical insurance was all messed up. Despite dozens & dozens of phone calls and emails and even paper letters between the us & the government, us & Blue Cross, and the government & Blue Cross, they (Blue Cross) seemed to think we were not enrolled in the policy for retired federal employees. It was such a nightmare! Our pharmacy provider even started sending us huge bills for us to re-pay them for what they'd reimbursed in the time since Bob lost his job!! During the past more than two months we've had to charge several thousands of dollars on our credit card paying for Bob's and my medications. He is treatment-resistant depressed with anxiety, and I am bipolar with (current) breakthrough depression, so we're talking about LOTS of medication! However, crossing my fingers and toes, that horrible ordeal appears to be over: yesterday we were told over the phone that now the Blue Cross computers show us as enrolled, and our pharmacy provider even told us how to get the paperwork started to get reimbursed for all that money we spent. =whew= You have no idea what a load off my mind this is.

However, the stress is still catching up with me. It's always this way for me with stress and depression: first comes the stress, and the strong physical sensations of being stressed out, and then later comes the depression. So even though this insurance problem is resolved, the depression from all that stress is only just now hitting me.

We also have another source of stress, which has to do with our kittens. Nénu, the girl, is in splended shape, but Oscar, the boy, has had problems all along: when the mother's milk dried up early, he required 10 days of force feeding before he finally began eating solid food, and now he has still not recovered from the respiratory infection they all got, although the rest of the litter have. And most worrisome of all, he is just not gaining weight the way he should be: at 12 weeks of age, he only weighs a pound, whereas his siblings weigh 2 1/2 pounds.

In other words, Oscar is a sickly runt. =sigh= My breeder has promised to replace him if we are not happy with him in any way, but she does say he has a very sweet personality. So we must shoulder the burden of caring for a kitten who has not had a good start in life, physically speaking. Bob and I have talked about it, and we are both committed to this extra responsibility, but all the same, as you can imagine, it's been stressful. I hope it will be better once we have the kittens in hand: we plan to drive to New Jersey to pick them up on Sunday, August 3rd.

I hope today will be a better day than yesterday was. Yesterday afternoon was a killer, for both Bob and me, because I was writhing and crying out from the pain—it felt as though my chest had an ax embedded in it—for some three hours before finally the Geodon put me to sleep. I won't be able to tell until around 1-2 PM, because afternoon is always when the worst of it arrives. I will, of course, be taking extra Geodon at noon.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #56  
rockin' my 60s!

In case anyone wonders what I meant by my using Geodon as a "prn": it's an abbreviation for the Laitin "Pro re nata." or "as matters are," or "for the existing occasion," or (most commonly) "as needed." "Pro re nata" does not imply that the patient may take the medicine whenever the patient desires, but rather that the medicine may be taken in the prescribed dosage if needed.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #57  

Good Morning!
Fi I hope things improve for you. We once adopted a sickly runt and he was the BEST kitty we've ever had! Good luck. What a relief with the insurance companies. They sure are a pain in the butt! I'm dealing with a insurance mess right now and I just want it over with.
We went to the farmers market today and got my green beans, cherry tomatoes, and aspergas. I also got a too sweet sugary turtle latte. Will not get it again. It used to taste great but now it tastes too sweet. Never thought I would put too sweet together in a sentence. Times they are a changing.
This last while my mindset has changed from losing weight to just wanting to eat healthier. Though I would be happy to drop a lot more pounds.
Yesterday was a good gifting day. A friend lost weight and gave me all her fancy fat clothes and some great shoes. I'm as happy she lost the weight as she is!
How is everyone doing!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #58  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Fiona ~ Yeah I enjoy telling everyone what Im doing in my part of the world, I like getting to know people too.

Betsy ~ I'll be sure to post a picture of the quilt as soon as I sew a little more on it, Yeah sewing isnt for everyone.

Ubee ~ Yeah Im excited to hear what you all think of it, Its not professional by any means but for my first one its starting to look pretty good.

I got up at 8:30 AM and I let Clyde outside and I took my pills and now Im eating breakfast, I have one more day to get my room cleaned so I will make sure I do it tonight before I do my work out dvd. I dont have any plans for today but just do my work out dvd twice today and get my room cleaned and maybe fold the towels before mom gets home at 2 pm or maybe I'll have Scott fold the towels, I dont know yet LOL. Anyway those are all of my plans for today.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #59  

Good morning everyone. It's going to be blazing hot here today (ok, hot for the normally temperate NW), but fortunately it cools off at night and blankets are needed. But, I'm going out soon to get yard work done before it gets too hot to do it safely. I'm thinking of getting the grands kiddie pool out! Getting in and out of it would be a sight to behold!

Fi So glad that you're finally (hopefully!) getting the insurance mess straightened out. I remember your having mentioned it before and thought that it would probably take a long time before everyone went in and got the right fields checked on whatever application records all of this. And hopefully your kitty ends up bringing you nothing but joy. Hope the medication kicks in and lets you feel better -- the depression pain sounds awful!
Sam You definitely deserved a night off. Yikes -- sounds like you've been meeting yourself coming and going lately. Did DH take the chicken out in time to be able to have it for supper?
Terra Sounds like you've got a busy day planned doing housework as well. How did the workout DVD go?
Ubee Yes, I have often subscribed to the practice of letting them reach a straight of not having to bend over. Actually, I've let them reach a state of a machete was needed to hack through them! Your trip to the Farmer's Market sounds great -- love this time of year for fresh produce.

Still struggling to stay on plan, but it's getting better. If I could just conquer snacking and portion control, I could have this weight off in now time -- you know, 2-3 years. I'm going to try a new chicken recipe tonight that sounds amazingly easy -- sauteed garlic in olive oil and then put in some brown sugar. I have discovered that you can use Splenda and add some molasses to make your own reduced calorie brown sugar that works just fine in recipes. I remember being shocked to learn that brown sugar is just regular sugar with molasses added......finally figured out that this wouldn't be too hard to make at home! Way too many duh moments in my life sometimes. Off to the yard, machete and pith helmut in hand!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #60  

Fi I'm sorry you've been in pain and stressed out lately. I hope it all turns around soon for you. I know what it's like to have the depression and how painful it can be sometimes. Sending you big hugs my dear and know I'm here for you. <3

Ubee Definitely enjoyed my night off....I just relaxed in bed with the kitties and watched my turtle swim around her tank for awhile. We just got her a filter for the tank. She is loving swimming under the bubbles and having the water splash on her head when she comes up for air...it's really cute.

Betsy No, DH forgot to take out the chicken so I ended up making a veggie egg bowl for dinner instead since he had his juice. We are thawing some this evening to make some greek chicken kebabs tomorrow for lunch. We're going to go to one of the state parks and grill them there and enjoy the beach. I'm hoping for a sunny day.

We just got back from running errands. Went to the farmer's market to stock up on some local veggies and fruit. We got some lovely peaches, a cantaloupe, an heirloom tomato, cukes, green beans, garlic, and small blue potatoes. We then went and got some strawberries and apples and carrots from Sam's since they didn't have any at the market. We even checked out this store called World Market around here and got some seasonings for the greek chicken. I also picked up this seasoning pack made of all natural ingredients (I could pronounce them all) for some Korean BBQ. So we're going to make that sometime in the near future. We had to go to Wal-Mart too to get a few things for the grilling tomorrow.

We're home now and Rob is making some sort of Hungarian stew...It looks interesting and hope it tastes good

I'm about to go for my walk. I need to try and lift some weights tonight too to get my arms going again. Hoping to see if we can do 5 miles today

I hope everyone has a great evening and I'll check in tomorrow. It's my 6th month weigh in and I'm hoping for good news. I just started TOM so hopefully that doesn't make me too bloated.

Night all!
Closed Thread