300+ Chat Thread: June, 2014

You're on Page 5 of 11
Go to
  • Major announcement everyone. I've figured out why people from the late 1800s and early 1900s didn't have weight problems. Most families were still mainly all doing the farm thing then or working in a factory if they lived in a city and all that hard work definitely keeps the weight off. Yesterday I combined staying on plan with yard work -- lifting, dumping and spreading 15 bags of mulch, each 2 cubic feet. I figure each bag weighed about 50 pounds. I was one tired puppy and this morning my weight was down 3 pounds. Every time I've done a lot of hard work in the yard, there's been a nice weight loss.

So, all we have to do is find jobs doing hard physical labor. Of course, there's the small problem of not wanting a job involving hard physical labor and no one would pay me since I rested after raking every bag, but even I have to admit that there's something to this getting up and moving.

OK, that's my great philosophical insight for the day. Off to the cardiologist and then some shopping.
  • Flowerpower6 ~ Welcome to the thread and forum
  • Doing better today.
    Checking in.
  • feeling slightly better but total lack of power. ..
    stressed out on all levels...
    will try reset on weekend
  • Day 1 - Hello! :)
    Hi everyone, I was so happy to see this thread! I often feel out of place, even in the world of dieting, because I never seen to encounter the ones like myself, who have a greater amount to lose. I in NO WAY mean to trivialize the smaller weight loss peeps, but the few times I checked out Weight Watchers I was always the biggest! People were always talking about how they couldn't wait to lose 11 pounds so they could run their half marathon and so on. Again, I realize that may come across as a bit snarky, but I am just trying to say how out of place I felt. At one meeting the leader asked the group, "what is something you will be happy to be able to do once you reach goal?" Many were saying they would run the marathon, others wanted to hike, others wanted to fit into their size 5 again...then there was me! I said, "I want to be able to tie my shoes." We all laughed, including myself, but it just showed me how different my weight loss situation was to that of others I tend to encounter more.
    It's good to be here and to be among people who share or have shared similar experiences. I have just started Medifast, so I will be reporting regularly with my progress. I hope to make lots of connections here, and I look forward to learning from all of you! Thank!
  • Welcome, Essie! You will indeed find this to be a friendly, supportive place to hang out. When you feel like it, tell us a little more about yourself... =smile=

I slept last night and felt better today, but work on the BERP (Big Entropy Reduction Project—a massive decluttering of my house) went slow. I did some clipping of images from magazines, and also some puzzling over projects I started & abandoned years ago. What was I thinking, way back when, labeling little boxes and putting odd fragments from fashion magazines in them? I surely don't know.

Something's got me down, I'm not quite sure what it is. It's hard to wake up in the morning and do what feels like hours & hours of housework, day after day after day. I'm at a point where I'm just tossing a lot of stuff in the recycle bin. =sigh= Just one more day, and then I'll take two full days off this weekend. I want to make a collage!
  • Essie ~ Welcome to the thread and forum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I walked for the 1st time last night since Monday, I'll be sure to get in the habit of walking twice a day every day from now on, I'll gonna aim to walk back and forth 4 times in the morning and 4 times in the evening. The most I've done so far is 3 in the morning and 4 in the evening but I want to make a habit of doing 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening.
  • Good morning all. It's a rainy day here in the Pacific Northwest -- first one we've had in a couple of weeks and it's that nice gentle rain where you can leave the windows open and get all that fresh, clean air wafting through the house. So, indoors activities today after going to the gym. Considering the state my house is in, that is probably not a bad thing!

Terra Glad you're back on your walking routine. I know it makes a difference in how you feel each day as I always feel better when I go to the gym.
    Fi Hope you're feeling more up in the next few hours (or at least the next day). The BERP has got to be getting to you. You're making great progress and are reclaiming your house -- not to mention making space for those wonderful kittens. Don't know if it helps, but my whole mental state improved immensely once I felt I was on the downward side of the great house and yard FUPU (fix up, paint up) project. I'm down to the weeding and spreading of mulch now which while there's a lot to do yet with having 3 terraces, but it's at the end of the long list. And just dumping more and more in recycling isn't a bad thing. Like you said, you're coming across things that you wonder why they were even saved. Get through today and then enjoy your BERP-free weekend. Heaven knows you've earned it!
    Essie Welcome. And you're right on target with finding a group that understands the additional challenges, both physical and mental, involved with having a large amount of weight to lose. We are a supportive group so feel free to tell us about your struggles and successes -- there's bound to be one of us who has been through a similar situation!
    Sugar So sorry you're struggling right now. The ex-boyfriend sounds as though it's to your advantage to have him be an ex! Don't know if this helps, but I was about your age when it dawned on me that I probably would never remarry. So, I switched my thinking to what I had going on in my life that was positive (interests, hobbies, friends, job, etc.) and focused on them. It's not easy to do because in some ways I had to give up my life long dreams, but eventually I built a very fulfilling and rewarding life albeit not the one I thought I'd be leading. In the meantime,
    Ubee Glad you checked in and hope you'll be back posting with us soon. I need your sense of humor and common sense to get through some of these day!

My nephew and grand nephew's joint birthday party is this Sunday along with Father's Day, so I am going to bake the cake to decorate tomorrow. They both play soccer, so I'll be doing a soccer ball cake. The presents are wrapped so that's done, but I still need to hull and slice two flats of strawberries to have a lot for me and some for both of the nephews to take home. Went to a local veggie farm around here yesterday and stocked up on fresh veggies and then drove a hundred yards down the road and bought the strawberries -- picked fresh that morning. Ate about half a pint on the way home and had juice stains on my white tee shirt, but what a treat! And healthy! Off to the gym, home to finish the laundry, and unfortunately, I think I'll have enough time to clean the basement apartment. Have a great day all.
  • Where do I start??
    Hi all! Thanks for the welcoming!

About me:
    39 year old married mother of 4 daughters, ages 8, 11, 14(about to be 15), and 16. We have lots of pets and I work full time.
    I have read from this site for a few years as I would try to find inspiration or hope, but never actually signed up until yesterday. Also yesterday, I began the Medifast program!

Diet History: I have tried lots of diets, but I never stick to them...not sure why?? I think laziness or lack of self discipline and control, or a combo of those things. And lots of other stuff too. Like I said, not sure why. Most diets I would do for a few days and stop, but I did Weight Watchers for about 5 months. During that, I lost a total of 29 lbs. This was because I would gain and lose, gain and lose. I never really stuck to that, either!

For some reason, I have been thinking about it more lately...my weight. I have really started to watch people and I notice them look at my stomach, or I notice them give me a look, then say something to the people they are with, then see those people look at me. Of course, they're talking about how big I am. I tend to get angry and I will stare them straight in the eye so they know I know, but why do I do that? I mean, I'm very big! I am noticeable, especially at a buffet restaurant! lol I've just never been one to be embarrassed of myself, even though I know what I look like, but I still don't want to be noticed because of my weight.

I recently decided that I was tired of being reminded of what I was working so hard to try to make myself forget. That I was fat!! Why put so much emotional effort in to making myself forget I was fat, and put that work into making myself NOT fat?? No more being in denial. Time to make a change.

So I am in day 2 of Medifast and while I'm a little hungry, I'm so freakin' excited about taking this huge step that I'm not affected by it. Also, I realize that after eating what I was used to eating in a day, I will experience hunger no matter WHAT I do because my stomach is used to eating much more than it should.
    My plan is to keep myself in this state of mind where I am determined and excited. There will be days that I want to curl up and cry I'm sure, but I want to work on keeping myself motivated and positive. I plan to be present here often for accountability and support, so I hope to learn so much!!!
    Ahh, I feel better! Thanks for reading my public diary entry! lol
  • Alive and checking in...
    Miss you and hope to be back in the saddle soon!
  • Betsy ~ Yeah Im glad Im back to my walking routine, It does make me feel better after I get my walks in for the day
  • Good Afternoon.
    My sweet tooth is alive and well. My determination is on its death bed. Stand back I have the paddles in my hand and I am going to zap it back to life. (On Monday...)
    Terra glad to see you are back into your routine.
    Welcome Essie! thanks for sharing. It reminds me why I am doing this. I so get what you are saying about needing others who understand what a journey at 300+ is.
    Betsy love the strawberries on the white tee. So like me!
    Fi I hope you are enjoying your weekend. I find tossing things very freeing!
    Sugar sorry your ex is such a jerk. Sorry if that was harsh. You deserve a someone who cherishes you above all others!
    Flower and Sam how is it going???

Wow I was on one heck of a hormonal trip. I have packed my broom and pointy hat away. I've stopped chewing my nails and eating like a machine. I have a ways to go to get back in the groove BUT I am headed in the right direction.
  • Oh, I'm not doing very well. The problem is not in what I'm eating, which stays the same: it's my mood. I'm taking a three-day weekend (Friday to Sunday) of not doing the BERP... because I had to stop for a while... because I'm suffering from depression pain. I'm so miserable, though, it doesn't feel like a break. I'm hoping this is a short-term thing, that it will be over soon.
  • Hey guys,

Sorry I just haven't been in the weight loss mind frame or the chit chatty mind frame. Don't worry I'm not doing bad, I just have other priorities at the moment. It's that time of year where friends are getting ready to move, and summer is attempting to emerge from the snow. Work is hectic, taking a course, etc. And I stopped decluttering because cleaning led me to find some old toys and they're all shiny and new to me again. (wii games lol).

I have regained weight, I'm sitting in the mid to high 290's I just checked. I'm just not feeling motivated to restrict. So I've had milk shakes, and iced caps and had lunches with friends. Etc. Even drinks in pineapples on a week night, it's been a touch excessive really but its that time of year where people are leaving for vacations and some are moving away and i WANT to see everyone before they all take off.

Speaking of I need to go to the store and suit up for tonights potential campfireness. I aught to change into long pants and put on a jacket since the evenings are still a bit chilly round these parts.

Anyways, I'm alive and I do hope you all start to feel okay. Seems like there's a lot of blues going around.
  • Day 4 of Medifast and I'm still going strong! I hope to see good results Thursday!