Old 05-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #46  
Technology for the Loss

S/C/G: 372/346/330

Height: 6 feet even

Hi everyone, I'm gonna join in on this next challenge, maybe I can reach my first goal of 330 by August :P

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11: 346.2
Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18:
Week 03 - MAY 19 - MAY 25:
Week 04 - MAY 26 - JUN 01:
Week 05 - JUN 02 - JUN 08:
Week 06 - JUN 09 - JUN 15:
Week 07 - JUN 16 - JUN 22:
Week 08 - JUN 23 - JUN 29:
Week 09 - JUN 30 - JUL 06:
Week 10 - JUL 07 - JUL 13:
Week 11 - JUL 14 - JUL 20:
Week 12 - JUL 21 - JUL 27:
Week 13 - JUL 28 - AUG 03:
Week 14 - AUG 04 - AUG 10:
Week 15 - AUG 11 - AUG 17:
Week 16 - AUG 18 - AUG 24:
FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:

Ubee, I was a small child until teenage years(around 12), considered myself overweight when I was around 15. I guess you could say I was "thick" but wasn't as noticeable due to my height. I guess I've been obese for the last 10 years. It became noticeable when I was around 24 and my butt started poking out too much to my Mom :P

Last edited by gurlnextgen; 05-11-2014 at 07:44 PM.
gurlnextgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #47  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

Ubee - I've been overweight my whole life. I briefly remember being normal size when I was 4 any time after that I've been chubby, fat, overweight, or obese. I'm 27 now. I wish I could blame my weight gain on anything other than myself but I love food. I would sneak Debbie cakes when my mom said I couldn't have anymore. I'd spend all my allowance on junk food. I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and I always have.
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #48  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hada very bad off plan week.. no weighing this week... Next week I should be back to making it right! Happy day all!

I too have been overweight my whole life. When I was 6 I remember a friend of my mom's telling her that I should be on a diet... really?! But that was 50 years ago... and I am finally working on it now!

SW 4/28 225.8
Lbs to lose: 29 lbs
GW - 196.8 oh wow

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11: 222.2 (-3.6 ) Total loss= 3.6 good start!
Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18: DNW (Bad Sue!)
FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 05-12-2014 at 08:31 AM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

START WEIGHT: 294
GOAL WEIGHT: 270
TOTAL TO LOSE: 24
ACHIEVED:

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11:297
Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18:299
FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Adding to Ubee's question about what size we've been all of our lives, how many of us come from families where there was a history of being overweight? When I look at both sides of the family, there's definitely a genetic element there of having a natural tendency to be overweight. I know we can't blame it all on genes as we still make the eating decisions, but they sure play a role!

My parents were both overweight -- my dad was morbidly obese and my mom was in the plump stage. Both dieted multiple times, would lose the weight, and inevitably gain it back after they went back to "normal." Both grandmothers were heavy as well.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

SW 263
Lbs to lose: 15
GW 248

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11: 263
Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18: 262
FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Betsy both my parents were overweight. As for grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings... we are all over the place no rhyme or reason to my family!
Silent Get posting. I miss you!
Sue I'll be watching for your numbers next week. Birthdays can be trouble.
Watchout Little Debbie was my best friend. You sound so much like me with that unhealthy relationship with food.
Gurl glad you are working on it while you are still young!
Easily I love how you were thin for a second! I wish I could be thin for 10 minutes every week to motivate me. Just to know what it is like... Thanks for the chart. That is really interesting.
Ali nice loss! Love the airhose comment!
Betsy we can gain when life is good BUT I think we really pile it on when life stinks.
Katt no wonder you lose so much, you are crazy busy. Dumb question, what is all in lemon flour? I can not find any info on it.
I am feeling motivated!!!!!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 355.6/see ticker/199.9

Height: 5'5"

Just a quick check-in.

Happy belated Mother's Day to the mothers out there!

My family went out to dinner to celebrate (as we usually do...) and they chose Claim Jumper. I planned ahead and ordered a reasonably good choice and stayed within my daily points/calories.

WELCOME to Betsy & gurlnextgen! Glad you have joined us.

CONGRATULATIONS Nightkatt, Ali & Ubee on your GREAT losses!

Hang in there Silent & wannaskipandlaugh... it's a new week and a fresh start!

Ubee: My weight has been an issue since elementary school, so as long as I can remember. I think my well-meaning family might have made it worse by offering me money and other stuff to lose weight as young as that. I know it wasn't meant maliciously because the person was just trying to be supportive and didn't want me to live the life they were living (they are overweight and have struggled with their weight for a very long time). It does seem to run in my family, at least on one side.

Have a great day everyone!
StephanieAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #54  
Getting smaller everyday

START WEIGHT: 226.8
GOAL WEIGHT: 185
TOTAL TO LOSE: 41.8
ACHIEVED:

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11: 225.6 (-1.2) TOM
Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18: 220.6 (-5)

FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:

And a pic (just because I don't hate pics of me anymore) :
Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #55  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

BETSY - Thanks for the insight … I felt the same about the under 300 being a milestone … then it was under 250 … now Im like 220 will be a big milestone … when I look back at where I started I am stunned I did it really cos Im sure I had a lot of doubt when it seemed so far away! Keep up the great work

ALI - Thanks for sharing your story too I don’t think I was ever 180 pounds lol .. ok .. maybe when I was little .. but in college I was a big girl too … 200 has been I think the lowest that I can remember being and I felt like a walking coat hanger cos I had bones sticking out everywhere and I really didn’t like it … sorry about the bad partner for you too … seems to be a theme with a lot of us I think (twice engaged and a few other bad relationships) … but I got to my highest when I was in my happy relationship with my new hubby lol .. so I suppose its always an issue in different ways
WELL DONE on your loss this week too .. great job!

EASILY - Thanks for sharing that chart .. its really interesting .. I really should get a pedometer especially for my job which Im on my feet moving things all day lol .. would be interesting to see how far I do actually walk Would be good when I finally get back on the treadmill too And as a Kiwi born and bred I may be biased .. but yes NZ is beautiful lol .. I love baking and rarely eat anything I bake .. that is what work and family and friends are for lol .. they are my guinea pigs for trialling out my new recipes for my cookbook … its a revamp of my original one, but I am going through all of them and cutting the fat, flour, dairy etc where I can to make them healthier and putting the calorie values etc with each recipe too Wont have as many recipes in this time cos really some just can’t be changed lol.

GURL - Welcome back hun, glad you found your way over from the New Year challenge Im sure you will have no problem reaching your goal and thanks for sharing your story .. giggling at the butt at mum

WATCH - I just have to ask .. WHAT is normal size? I do worry when kids are labelled and am rather defensive when I hear my grandkids or goddaughter being described physically .. ok .. so health wise it can be an issue, but it can always be helped in a lot more positive way than I have heard or grown up with .. helping their self esteem instead of tearing it down … and I love food too .. usually the wrong ones lol .. And OMG .. You are a BABE!!! Look at your beautiful eyes!!! Thank you so much for sharing and glad you are liking the experience of a pic more now

WANNA - Thats ok .. Im sure we all have weeks like this .. I admit to being tempted to “freebie” the week a few times .. but regardless of the bad behaviour I have learnt on my journey that I need to be accountable each week or I tend to let it slide further .. but that is just me Unbelievable about a 6 year old being categorised as needing to diet .. gees .. baby fat much maybe??? Unfortunately it still happens now .. definitely a pet peeve for me ..

SILENT - How is your new plan working … are you finding it better or worse than your original plan?

BETSY - Just to answer your add on question .. In my family its a 50/50 thing really .. my mum fights weight and has for as long as I can remember .. but she has never been obese .. my granny on mums side and grandad weren’t thin but they weren’t fat either …. and from what I have seen of pics of my dads parents they were weren’t big either .. but my brother is big and my sister was growing up but she is thinner now (so are 2 out of 3 of her kids), my brothers kids are the opposite - 2 out of 3 are bigger. My daughter fights weight (she has just lost 41kg) … and some of my cousins are big too .. so its a mixed bag in our genetics .. BUT one thing that is more common than not among us all .. BIG Bones .. most of us are tall and very broad shoulders with long fingers and legs.

UBEE - Wahoo on your loss this week hun Im sure you are feeling great about that too Oh and Lemon Flour is basically me grinding up crystallised lemon (or dehydrated is better) into a powder and mixing it with the flour. Otherwise just using Rice Flour or Almond Flour and lemon juice works just as well

STEPHANIE - Thanks for sharing hun … it is interesting how families deal with the weight of others, whether they experience it themselves or not. I know that my family meant well looking back .. but at the time the focus on my appearance really made me more self-conscious and not like myself very much .. I mean why should anyone like me when my family find me lacking … took a lot of work to get that through process changed Gotta ask .. what is Claim Jumper?? I realise it must be a restaurant .. but what sort of thing?? Like Dennys? (we have that in NZ lol) … or Wendys .. or a full on restaurant??

Just waiting for my hunny to pick me up at Starbucks after a very long day .. worked from 7am to 330pm without a break cos I was trying to catch up on so much today now that Im back at my main store .. lots of things to change around after the Mothers Day sale .. so totally exhausted and just want to go home to sleep lol .. but after not eating I better get dinner ready when I get home .. just a nice plate of veges would be more than welcome
Had 2 of my attacks yesterday One in the morning just after I got to work and unfortunately there was no-one else available to run the store so I had to stay and just get through it as well as I could .. and I had only had my Special K Cereal with trim milk .. like I have most mornings ... so darned if I know why it reacted this time .... and then we had Chinese for dinner and I had the same that I had last week .. but not long before midnight I had another attack so didn't get to sleep til about 1 by the time it stopped and I was able to relax enough to sleep .. only to have the alarm go off at 545 lol ... so yeah .. a little tired .. and a little nervous about eating so I didn't have breakfast this morning ... but I have been doing some research and Im going to try something to see if it will help ... so gotta stop on the way home to get some fresh beet roots, carrots, silver beet and a few apples to juice each day .. sort of a detox but its going to be with my usual food too

Right .. better go wait down the road in the parking for my hunny ... weather has turned miserable so might even make myself a bowl of soup for dinner I think Have a good night all !!
Nightkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Thanks to all for the kudos on weight loss!

Welcome to Gurl (and anyone else I may have missed).

I'm on my tablet which is not very easy to use or type! lol So sometimes my replies aren't very long or I miss things others have said , I'll get the hang of it soon I'm sure.

Congrats to everyone on their weight loss!

Betsy - as far as genes--- my mom, dad, and brother are all overweight, all over 300 lbs. My dad actually passed away 8 years ago this month from a heart attack. That's when I got my first wake up call and lost a bunch of weight. But then put on the happy weight when I got married lol

For the rest of my family it's hit and miss -- my mom's sister and kids were always skinny, but now that they are older, my aunt is heavy and so is one of the cousins, but not 300lbs. My mom's dad was very thin, her mom fought her weight (my grandma) and is a little heavy but not more than 250.

My dad's side - his mother was very large, over 400 - one sister over 400 and at times over 500. My dad was between 350 -450, his other sister very thin until she got older, now she stays around 250. Her kids are fairly thin.

My husband is a big guy - he weighed in when we started this at just over 500. His family is not very big. Our wake up call, well mine, was like I've shared worrying about not being able to fit in the charter bus seats - but also seeing my daughter put on weight. She had always been thin, her bilogical dad and his family are very thin --- but she started putting on weight and I knew it was because of how I was feeding her. I said no more, it's not fair to her and I'm not putting her through that b/c I can't control myself.

Hubby came around on his own too b/c he's tired of livnig his life in a chair.

My daughter has even lost 4lbs in the last month and a half - she only needed to loose about 10lbs total (we started making changes even before we started Atkins - hubby and I had lost a little bit, but started seeing more consisten and better weight loss since we started Atkins 2 weeks ago).

Which side note --- I'm seriously worried about this trip I have coming up. It's Monday the 19th.

Have any of you been on a charter bus any time recently?? Any ideas on what the seat size is for them?
It's my daughter's class trip and I'm so scared I'm not going to fit in the seat which will be a huge embarssment, not even so much for me, but I don't want kids giving her a hard time b/c her mom is too fat to fit in a bus seat.
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #57  
Trying again

ALI - Thanks for sharing Im not sure about the buses over there .. other than I know they are bigger than our buses .. but then everything in the US seems bigger to me in NZ lol .. I was in awe when I was in LA and Chicago 10 years ago .. mind you .. I was the same when I was in Canada .. but I know I was really worried about my flights cos of the seat sizes and the belts etc .. I really didn't want to ask for an extension so I pretty much didn't breathe and sat like a statue while I had it on when I left NZ in Sept 04. On the plus side when I returned in Nov 04 after going round the world for over 2 months I was easily able to do up the belt and could relax .. all that walking and good food lol ... Im just thinking about our buses .. I know that on our charter ones we have the normal 2 seats next to each other for most of it, but then we also have like bench seats in a couple of places which are meant to tilt up in case a wheelchair is needed to be brought on board ... our normal buses around Wellington are the same sort of design and the very plus size people tend to gravitate towards those seats when they are free .. otherwise they just make use of the two next to each other.
If I were you I would forget that part of the trip and stop worrying about it or you won't be able to enjoy the rest of it. You know you are on a journey, and while this one may not be the best seating-wise you know that the next one will be better and the one after that even better because you are making changes in your life. So don't sweat the small stuff on the journey, embrace the things you are able to do, learn from the things that make you uncomfortable and show the world that regardless of past choices that you are more than your appearance and Im sure your daughter will be over the moon just to have you on the trip without worrying how you fit into the seat which, Im sure, is not the actual event Let us know how it goes and don't forget to take lots of pics

Just chilling in Starbucks with my coffee, catching up online and looking forward to another long day at work .. Im such a sick puppy when it comes to loving to work these long hours .. I have admitted before that when I have a job Im a workaholic, I hate having days off and I just think work all the time .. I have still to learn the work/life balance thing .. but when Im not employed I don't do ANY thing lol .. so 6 day weeks are something I enjoy, on my day off Im constantly thinking I could pop into work or give them a ring to see if they need any help .. Im a little more tired now though as Im out of practice after having a year off from full time employment .. as it is Im still regarded as only part time as Im only contracted for 34 hours (full time is 40+ hours) .. but I have been doing those hours over 6 days instead of the 5 contracted ones as cover is needed between 2 stores .. which will hopefully change soon as my main store is closer to home and hunny can pick me up and drop me off instead of me having to drive lol.

Last night I made some fresh juice in my much unused juicer (now in the kitchen rather than hidden away) .. as I have been having problems with the gallstones and my liver I have been researching and found that beetroot is a really good cleanser for the blood etc so my juice was a medium beetroot, a large carrot, 1 apple & about 6 leaves of Silverbeet (cos I couldn't find Kale and the Spinach was so expensive!) ... it was ok .. but I think I will peel the beet rather than just scrub it cos it did taste a little earthy .. gonna add some lemon too. Does anyone else have any juice mixes they have tried and liked?

Better go before I run out of time on my free wifi lol Will catch up tonight when I get home .. hugs all
Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #58  
Getting smaller everyday

Thank you, Katt! Whenever I say normal size I guess I mean average weight. I'm not even trying to be skinny I'd just love to fit into a size 10. There isn't a normal weight because we're all different, and we're all going to be different sizes. I know while growing up I was made to believe by the media that supermodel thin was normal. Not everyone can obtain that or wishes to, but growing up with that you constantly compare yourself to those type of images. I'm still trying to overcome that.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 298/248/158

Hi everyone! Hope you don't mind me jumping in for the challenge!

START WEIGHT: 258
GOAL WEIGHT: 220
TOTAL TO LOSE: 38
ACHIEVED:

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11: 258 (START)
Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18:
FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:

I've been MIA for more than a month now, and not only am I sad that I didn't meet my NY challenge goal, I'm even more sad that I missed the camaraderie of all of you! So I was really happy when I logged on today for the first time in ages and saw this challenge!

I've had a weird month or so- my flatmates sister came to visit, which lead to some unhealthy eating (we went on holiday, I told myself not to stress about food and just enjoy myself, but for various reasons not always in my control, wasn't as active as I'd have liked), and then my parents moved from the other side of the world and are living with me until they find a house here, so I'm a bit more stressed than I'd like, and some old ED thoughts have sprung into my head recently so I'm trying my best to let the past go and only look ahead.

My goal is probably a bit unrealistic given the timing, but it's an important goal to me- once I hit 220 I can start taking horse riding lessons, and I want to do that in the spring, so end of August is a perfect goal for me to have.

Ubee, you asked somewhere up thread about always being overweight. For me, my mum's side of the family, who I take after, aren't the naturally skinniest, but not hugely overweight. But as a child I was a bit chubbier than some of my classmates and got bullied because of it. I also developed quite early so that didn't help either. But then I lost a lot of the puppyfat and got very active in sports and was, looking back, at an incredibly healthy weight. Of course, I thought I was huge. And in the end I started starving and binging and developed an ED. When I was 17 we moved and I stopped exercising and starving, and carried on binging and I more than doubled my body weight. My end goal is 158lbs. I chose that because I remember being about 14/15 in PE class, being weighed by the teacher, and other girls laughing at how heavy I was, which was what triggered the start of the ED (I didn't weigh myself for years after that, but I must have lost about 20lbs between then and when I started putting on weight). I want to prove to myself that it was a normal weight and not something I should have been ashamed about.
FerrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #60  
Trying again

FERRIS!!! Welcome back hun!! So nice to see you and hey I dont think your goal is unrealistic .. hehehe with your family there it may be the one thing that keeps you sane I dont have my family living with me .. but my MIL is right next door so its almost a daily thing so no lazing round the house on my day off in my PJs or less .. never know when she is going to come in ... after 5 years I have decided it has comic value to keep me sane (she drives her son nuts which gives me a giggle lol).

WATCH - Understand .. I have an aim of a comfortable size 14 lol .. not sure what weight that will be but it will be the smallest I have been since I was about 14/15 .. actually I think its more 12/13 And with my hunny being a photographer I have definitely seen the pics dont necessarily show the real model shape

EASILY - I think I have always been a non-eater of my own baking lol .. I might nibble a piece to see if I have the flavour right .. but I think for me its more the activity I enjoy .. especially when I manage to create something special for a family member (friends included) who has some sort of food allergy (in our family its varied - dairy .. wheat ... fat .. tomato/mushroom). Its almost like when I used to perform ... I enjoyed that others enjoyed it .. but didnt like the off stage notice. Starbucks is one of two places I have coffee when Im out .. wont have it anywhere else and I just feel great after it .. I dont even have to ask for my Grande Trim Latte Single Shot anymore when I go in lol ..

A DAY OFF!!! Yay!! lol .. was supposed to have tomorrow off too .. but I need to cover the manager so another full day .. second week in a row of my 6 day working week lol ... and really Im happy about it cos I do tend to think about work when Im not there unless I have a busy day planned. Have had a few attacks this week and not sure what the triggers are now as its after I have things I have been eating for ages! So I feel like Im back to square one and more nervous about eating anything! But will keep trying .. hunny really wants me to go back to the doctors, but it wont make that much of a difference other than putting me on a waiting list for surgery so I will have to learn to find the triggers anyway lol .. but will be trying to go get my repeat blood test done today anyway ...

Time for hunny to go to work so going to see him off ... not sure how my weigh in will be tomorrow .. I did have a few naughty days this week with dinner out and takeout ... but when I checked on Tuesday I hadnt gone up OR down lol .. so will see what happens with tomorrows weigh in