May Day May Day Challenge

You're on Page 18 of 28
Go to
  • Quote: Hi all! Glad to see everyone doing well.

I'm going to the YMCA today to sign up for the gym. My doctor wants me doing 170 mins/week of exercise, which is going to be tough. I am stressing out a little over the thought of going to the gym and the commitment involved (financially). I think I will stick to the treadmill for now. With the temperature being over 100 every day in the summer, walking outside isn't really an option for me and the indoor track is a much further drive than the Y.
    170/week sounds kinda scary until you divide it up!

That's a 30 minute walk + 5 minute cool down, 5x per week. You can do this!

I was anxious about it, too.... I started slow, and am increasing the speed as I'm able. I started doing a 30 minute walk at 2mph... then went to a 45 minute walk at 2mph... then doing the the last 5 minutes at 2.5, then the last 10 at 2.5... Now I do the whole thing at 2.6 with the last 5 minutes at 3mph. It's not much, and runners probably laugh at it.... but it's better than I was doing, and it's showing that I'm improving.

Ubee - I hate the thought of going to exercise. Still. Even though I know I feel pretty great afterward, and I know it's doing good things for my health. Such a mind game... If you figure out how to win it, let me know!
  • Hello Everyone!
    Stephanie you are worth every penny you spend on that gym membership!
    Easily look at you sitting at 214! In my dreams!
    Mandy It's funny how we don't get in a good enough mood to exercise until after we've done it.
    Katt do you still have your treadmill? Wasn't there some kind of weightloss challenge and price thing?
  • HIya

Just realised my post yesterday didn't stick

Had a lovely visit with my daughter and grandkids .. definitely blew my calories cos she had made a lovely lunch and I didn't want to disappoint her (she saved money from her pay each week to get the extra ingredients) by not eating much, and she did a lovely job (she is trying to do a lot more cooking and baking to save money for treats for the kids instead of buying packaged things). So it was lovely but terrible for my calorie count so have put weigh in until tomorrow to give it a chance to get through lol .. off to the gym today again too ... I do feel it in my legs this week and my hunny reckons my legs are firmer so Im not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing until after I weigh in :/ But if its up then next week I will do the same in exercise but go against the PT and eat what I would normally eat which is a lot less calories than she has put me on lol. On days I do at least 30 min of exercise I am on 2400 calories ... that is like 800-1000 more than I usually eat!!! and on the non-exercise days I am on 1800-2000 depending on if its a work day or a day off... still more than I usually eat ... so I really aren't looking forward to the weigh in cos that is more regardless

Better go .. don't want to miss my 30 min walk ... then open store .. then back for my PT session Will catch up tonight with everyone
  • Heading home soon. Two workouts today .. More when I get home
  • I'm hiding as I blew it yet again... I will be back.. I miss you all and am cheering from my kitchen counter for you all!

Friday! AHHHHHHHHHH
  • Hello!
    Sue no hiding! We miss you.
    Katt you are really getting into this workout thing. Good for you! I think firm legs are a good thing no matter what that scale says.
  • Hello! I had another good WI. I've had 3 productive days at the YMCA since I joined. My plan is to go 5 days/week and then take the weekend off. I have been doing 30 mins so far because there are a limited amount of treadmills and you're not supposed to hog them. I do have the option to get off and wait for another one to open up after 30 minutes, but I don't think I am quite at that point yet!

I have been seeing my doctor, so she is overseeing my WL now. I'm having issues with my thyroid, so taking care of that (hypothyroidism).

Thanks for all the support - as always!! You guys keep me going. I hope you're all doing well and I love coming to check in on everyone's progress.

START WEIGHT: 330.4
    GOAL WEIGHT: 305.4
    TOTAL TO LOSE: 25
    ACHIEVED: 21.6

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11: 328.4 (-2.0 lbs.)
    Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18: 326.0 (-2.4 lbs.)
    Week 03 - MAY 19 - MAY 25: 322.6 (-3.4 lbs.)
    Week 04 - MAY 26 - JUN 01: 322.0 (-0.6 lbs.)
    Week 05 - JUN 02 - JUN 08: 321.0 (-1.0 lbs.) - week before TOM
    Week 06 - JUN 09 - JUN 15: 316.6 (-4.4 lbs.)
    Week 07 - JUN 16 - JUN 22: 313.2 (-3.4 lbs.)
    Week 08 - JUN 23 - JUN 29: 308.8 (-4.4 lbs.)
    Week 09 - JUN 30 - JUL 06:
    Week 10 - JUL 07 - JUL 13:
    Week 11 - JUL 14 - JUL 20:
    Week 12 - JUL 21 - JUL 27:
    Week 13 - JUL 28 - AUG 03:
    Week 14 - AUG 04 - AUG 10:
    Week 15 - AUG 11 - AUG 17:
    Week 16 - AUG 18 - AUG 24:
    FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:

• START WEIGHT: 246.3
    GOAL WEIGHT: 220
    TOTAL TO LOSE: 26.3
    ACHIEVED: - 3.1 pounds

Week 01 - MAY 05 - MAY 11: 244.7 (-1.6)
    Week 02 - MAY 12 - MAY 18: 242.4 (-2.4)
    Week 03 - MAY 19 - MAY 25: 242.4 (0)
    Week 04 - MAY 26 - JUN 01: 240.3 (-2.1)
    Week 05 - JUN 02 - JUN 08: 239 (-1.3)
    Week 06 - JUN 09 - JUN 15: 240 (+1) TOM + Carb fest
    Week 07 - JUN 16 - JUN 22: 238.8 (-1.2)
    Week 08 - JUN 23 - JUN 29: 241.8 (3) ARGGGGHHHHHH
    Week 09 - JUN 30 - JUL 06:
    Week 10 - JUL 07 - JUL 13:
    Week 11 - JUL 14 - JUL 20:
    Week 12 - JUL 21 - JUL 27:
    Week 13 - JUL 28 - AUG 03:
    Week 14 - AUG 04 - AUG 10:
    Week 15 - AUG 11 - AUG 17:
    Week 16 - AUG 18 - AUG 24:
    FINAL WEIGH IN - AUG 31:

Sigh to say Im gutted would be an understatement .. I really need to find my tape measure to at least see if I can get something out of this week like a shrinkage somewhere!!!
  • Start Weight: 323.0
    Goal Weight: 299!
    Loss goal: 24 pounds

Week 04 - MAY 30: 319.6 (-3.4)
    Week 05 - JUNE 3: 317.6 (-2.0)
    Week 06 - JUNE 13: 313.6 (-4.0)
    Week 07 - JUNE 20: 310.4 (-3.2)
    Week 08 - JUNE 27: 308.4 (-2.0)

Week 09 - JULY 4:
    Week 10 - JULY 11:
    Week 11 - JULY 18:
    Week 12 - JULY 25:
    Week 13 - AUGUST 1:
    Week 14 - AUGUST 8:
    Week 15 - AUGUST 15:
    Week 16 - AUGUST 22:
    FINAL WEIGH IN - AUGUST 29:

Total lost: 14.6

Pounds to go: 9.4

Forgot to weigh in yesterday. Ooops. So, today's weight it is.

I might have to change my goal!
  • Okee ... well that weigh in wasn't a happy experience .. especially after going to the gym 5 times this week!! Soooo Im figuring its those extra calories I was supposed to be eating to accommodate it ... next week Im still going to the gym 5 times .. but this time I am going to eat my lower calories and cut the carbs again ... regardless of what my PT says .. carbs and I really don't mix and today I am feeling bloated and blocked ... so its a restart for me tomorrow and will see how my weigh in goes next week .. still determined to get at least half of my goal in this challenge so Im not changing it.

UBEE - I gotta admit I do feel a lot better when I start my day with the 30 minute walk .. regardless of how my day goes I feel like I have achieved something lol .. and now I am thinking ahead to next year and joining in a longer walk than I did this year (and even thinking of adding jogging!!! ! And yes I do have my treadmill, which I don't use as often as I should now that I am going to the gym lol .. and yes the challenge is still going .. I have until August 18 to reach 225 pounds to win the darn thing ... and after this week Im getting really worried! But like I said .. trial and error and this week food was the error ... actually listening to the PT in regards to my food was the error lol .. I know what my body can do well at now and what it can't .. and upping the protein and carbs is definitely something it doesn't handle well.

EASILY - Great loss for you this week hun .. I can see the whooshing is working again Yeah .. I don't think the upping the calories is working for me lol ... so Im going to go back to doing it my way. My hunny pointed out that its not so much weight loss that my PT is working on .. but fitness .. but Im working on weight loss .. backed up by fitness lol .. so will listen to my body and cut back on the calories/carbs and keep my workout levels the same until my body tells me differently... obviously I still have enough on my body that I didn't really need to give it more to keep going

STEPHANIE - Take it from someone who really wasn't a fan of exercise and the thought of doing so much seems extreme .. and yet what do you know Im doing it and loving it ... admittedly I had a couple of mornings this week thinking of skipping my morning one in favour of going to Starbucks which WAS my morning habit .. but I put on my gym gear before I left the house so really gave myself no choice but to get dropped off there instead lol. And if you have some good music you like or something to look at when you are there (tv with music videos is what we have .. although if there is no music video they have the song play with LOTS of inspirational quotes which keeps you on track too!). You can do it .. I believe in you These last few weeks have been fantastic for you .. keep up the great work with whatever you are doing

FERA .. UBEE .. STEPHANIE .. one of my favourite quotes that pops up at the gym is "Never mind how fast you go, you are still going faster that those sitting on the couch". And I think that is the one I keep thinking of when it comes to the work out zone ... Im tired of being the one on the couch .. I want to be the one lapping them now

WANNA - Please note my blow out this week lol .. so get your cute tush back here ... remember .. its not always about losing the weight .. its about winning the mind games you play with yourself more .. and hiding away is giving a lil too much control to those negative ones. You are fighting it .. so you ARE winning the battle and we love seeing you here too so get on board again bud, you are doing fine

FERA - Fantastic way of upping your walking and who cares what the runners think .. like I said .. you are going faster than those that chose to stay on the couch

I did have an NSV last week which I am proud of ... I JOGGED!!! Yup .. on the treadmill with my PT .. she didn't ask me to but it was part of our workout .. she wanted to see how far I could go in 2 minutes .. so I got on and put it up to my usual 5.8kph (3.5mph) ... then halfway through I started upping it to finally hit 7kph (4.4mph) which caused me to JOG!! .. only for about 20 seconds .. but I jogged .. reaching 210meters in 2 minutes. Carried on with the other exercises for that set then back onto the treadmill and she wanted me to see if I could match it or beat it ... I BEAT IT!! 220 meters this time and I jogged for almost a minute (about 50 seconds) ... back to the other exercises then back to the treadmill for the last set .. I BEAT IT AGAIN!! 230 meters and jogged for over a minute!! My legs definitely felt it and I was a little more puffed, but I was still able to talk and able to do the burps and step ups etc which were part of the rest of the set .. my PT was very proud of me cos she didn't expect me to jog as she knows I don't like the thought of doing that .. but apparently I had good form so she thought I had done it in the past lol .. nope .. that was a first other than the end of the Colour Run in March where I was determined to run/jog across the finish line ... and I did .. it was about 200meters ... but at the end of that my legs felt like they were screaming at me and I just wanted to collapse .. this time I didn't and I did it 3 times in less than 30 minutes! My PT thinks I am competitive with myself .. and yep .. I am .. like to beat past results if I can lol.

So yip ... crap weigh in .. but I did 2 things I never thought I would .. I went to the gym 5 times this week (once a day 4 days and then 2 times on Friday) .. and I jogged! And flew past my 90 minutes of working out goal hitting 250 minutes instead!! Going every day next week (except weekends) ... have a longer session on Tuesday and Thursday - maybe a sauna too lol .. got a Vibra train on Monday to go with my usual 30 minutes on the treadmill (we have that same limit for time on it so I can do longer on Tues and Thurs cos Im not there in "rush hour"). I talked to my hunny last night telling him that I would like to keep having a PT session at least once a fortnight if we can swing the extra payments for that .. and he is ok about it so that has made me happy .. also we went looking at the Fit bits and it looks like Im going to get the watch one I think .. it does everything the one does from the looks of it .. but will see .. still have to save up a little more for that

So off to work today .. I had to take one of my dogs to the vets yesterday so had to leave early cos she has a bad cold, and apparently there may be more, but at the moment we are going to try just the meds for her for the month and if it shows no sign of clearing it may mean she has to get knocked out so they can have a better look, but they are loathe to do that to dogs her age (she is only 12 but chihuahuas don't have long lifespans apparently and she was sickly as a puppy which affected her breathing/lung development which can affect it too). So worried about her, but she is my baby and so we snuggle a lot. I was going to bake to take to work today .. but just wanted to cuddle with my baby so did that instead

Have a great day all!
  • Katt - Just remember, those are just water weight pounds and they'll come off! More than likely you consumed more sodium than you normally do.
  • Katt - Sick fur-babies are the worst! My kitty just came home today from her second surgery in less than 2 months. I hope your pup feels better soon!

Also, I'd keep your calories the same, and give it some time... You are probably just retaining some water in your muscles from hitting the gym so hard. Food is fuel and you need it for all those workouts! Instead of doing both low carb and lowering your calories, why don't you just try going back to low carb since it helps you feel better? That's also a possibility for your little gain... If you've been doing low carb, and then started eating carbs, it can cause a little water retention as well. Give the higher calories a shot... I've learned the trick is to eat as much as you can while the weight is coming off, because eventually you'll have to reduce your calories, and if they're already super low, there's nowhere for them to go!
  • I just read this, and want to share it, because it makes so much sense...

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I'd do things right, and stay on track for *weeks* at a time, but my weight loss line graph would have these week long mini-plateaus followed by a sudden drop, then a bunch of smaller drops, then mini-plateau again.

If you are stalled, but doing everything right, READ THIS. It will make you feel better, and hopefully give you the motivation (and patience) to stay the course.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html

(Yes, it's called "Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat")
  • MANDY .. loved your link .. it was very informative .. I definitely have those little marbles .. and I agree with one of the comments .. after I do some ab work and then go into the sauna it does feel a little less bumpy down there (just below the belly button for me).

I have been reading your comments about sticking to the calories and I think I will try .. but Im definitely cutting the carbs .. they really dont do anything for me except I always feel bloated .. I will have a little .. but not as much as the PT wanted ... like tonight for dinner I came home to a lovely meal made by my hunny - Chicken breast (honey/soy marinade), carrots, broccoli, courgette, brussels, parsnip and a single slice of garlic bread (home made of course lol) Feel soooo full!!!! And I am upping my water .. I think I started slacking off on having my usual 3 bottles (750ml) a day minimum and was lucky if I finished one! So just had 1000ml with dinner .. yep .. definitely stuffed lol .. when I weighed myself before dinner I had gone down a pound from this morning lol .. but sticking with what it said this morning

Decided to leave baking til Tuesday instead of doing it tonight .. instead cuddling up with my fur-babies (after they finish munching on their beef bones lol) and watching a little tv .. soooooo looking forward to getting my cross stitches cos I have been having those late night cravings again and last time it was the cross stitches that stopped me giving in to them lol.

Oh and hunny gave me a compliment tonight .. was getting his meds and he asked me if my butt was getting bigger!! roflmao .. believe me that is a compliment cos when I lost the bulk of the weight I lost what tush I had Now apparently with all my walking Im getting tushy again I don't want a big one .. but to have one would be nice lol .. esp with the boobs heading in their direction unless I fold the darn things in half roflmao

Hugs all
  • Oh and MANDY ... great loss this week .. you are kicking tush!!! Great job