Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Angela, thanks for your post. When others share insight into their lives and thoughts I find it helpful to ponder those things in my life as well. There is a book The Courage To Grieve it questions our 3 days off of work and get over it mentallity.
Betsy great ideas about have a positive mindset and more fun.
I am in the process of grieving for dreams that will never be fulfilled. I know I feel hopeless about many things so I think I may as well have my cake in life. I also know I have a very blessed life and need to focus on that.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #62  

Sorry I didn't get here after church. My meal at church was good and very tiny serving. I did eat angel food cake with strawberries. I was hungry when I got home but didn't eat a bite!!
Today I am going to be outside a lot. I may start tackling flower beds. I am still a bit sore but a lot better.
Gotta go and water before my kids get here for the day.
Let's rock this day!!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #63  

Keep that good energy coming Debbie!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Angela, you are going through so much. Do not rush the grieving. I lost my sister--who was the last member of my nuclear family--five years ago and I'm still grieving for her in some ways. Maybe it's just missing her and I definitely cherish my memories, but it still hurts. In reading your post, I see that Midwest common sense attitude coming through. I grew up in Warrensburg and Decatur, IL not too far from you. I have found that some of my best friends are ones that I connect with electronically. Not ideal, but cuts down on that sense of isolation. Thanks for sharing what you're going through.

Ubee, we are both of an age where we face the realization that some things we thought would be a part of our lives just aren't going to be. So, let's create some new dreams that can be realized.

Now, ladies, I need some serious scolding here. I'm serious. I know that one of the rule of 3FC is to always be positive, but sometimes positive needs to come in the form of telling someone to get on track and stop using an endless supply of excuses. So let me have it. Tell me to stop rationalizing every behavior. Tell me that just because I crave salty and sweet doesn't mean that I have to give in every single time. Tell me that I know what needs to be done and that there are very few things in life at which I've failed once I set my mind to something. Remind me that the long term benefits far outweigh the momentary pleasure of eating some forbidden food. Seriously, I need a good kicking in the rear end here!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #65  

Betsy- sounds like you just gave yourself a kick in the rear. Sometimes just admitting it and announcing it helps. It will also help me to remember what I have to do!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #66  

Betsy that is why I started this thread. It is not OK that we are maintaining and not losing. We are too heavy for that attitude. We are not getting any younger. Betsy you are a grown woman. Why do you give in to that two year old that wants sweets and salty foods? Listen to your inner child when she wants to do something fun, not her food choices. Tell little Betsy that she can not have sweets & salty. She is walking with a cane! Would you give that stuff to your diabetic BIL? Why is it OK to slowly kill yourself? Betsy you have an RV, you can travel! Don't you want to see more of our great country? Don't you want to walk around and see the sights? You have a great opportunity PLEASE don't trade it in for food and a wheelchair.
One more thing. I am having trouble with the attitude of "Just having a ittle so I don't feel deprived." True for special ocassions but BS (IMHO) for everyday. What kind of princesses are we that we can not deprive ourselves of foods that are making us unhealthy! Answer: We are 300+ princesses!
Stop the craziness and lose the weight!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #67  

Food check
Exercise no check
Vitamins check
Water check
Sunscreen check but didn't go out. Lol
Positive attitude. Check

I didn't go walking today. Kids naps were off and it threw the day off.
I should have done a DVD or minitramp. Tired and going to bed!!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Glad to have found this thread! First time posting here --
I'm 31, married and have a 12 year old daughter.

My wake up call as to holy cow, you have let yourself get huge was that my daughter was having a field trip for 6th grade (at our school system 6th is in the elementary school still). I was determined to take more part in things going on, especially with this being her last year. I've never not been interested, just embarrsed at my apperance.

Anyway, I was really debating if I could go on the field trip or not becuase I did not know if I could FIT in the seat on the coach bus!!!!!

I still don't know if I can - but I am down 12 lbs so far and am continuing to lose weight - so I'm hoping it won't be an embarrasing situation.

Right now, my motiviation is pretty high, but I know we all hit those slumps from time to time so this thread is awesome! I will be needing that swift kick at some point I am sure!!!

I've been reading through a lot and like most of you all - sweets have been a major down fall for me.

I had a friend who started on Atkins and I kind of toyed around with doing it - so I monitred my carb intake for a few days --- 150 - 200g+. I was floored, so I decided to start it right away - in 1 week I lost 12 lbs and all my cravings for sweets and bread and junk have honestly disappeared. And my energy level has sky rocketed. Any diet I've ever done this has always been a huge struggle for me. I also do not feel hungry and still keep my calorie intake right around 1200-1500.

My job is sitting on my ever expanding rump in front of a computer for what ends up being 12+hrs on most days. So I've been making a point to be more active --- I started walking my driveway three times a week - we live in the country so my driveway is almost a mile one way - with a steep uphill incline in both directions. The first day I couldn't believe I made it the whole way so now I'm just keeping it up.

You all have hit the nail on the head ---- there is no food, there is no drink, there is no treat that is worth your LIFE. Whatever works for you diet wise AND is something you can maintain for the rest of your life, do it. Don't make excuses, don't roll around in your self-pity, misery, and excuses. Make a change, and stick to it.
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #69  

Scales have stayed the same for the past 3 days. I had my hopes set on a 5lb loss , it didn't happen!! I should be happy with the 3lbs I lost!! Why do we set unrealistic goals in our head?? I am happy with. 10lb loss in 4 wks. I feel less bloated already. Just imagine what the next 10lbs will do!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #70  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

All06: Great work losing so far. I have a sedentary job, too. A few years ago I read a study where people with sedentary jobs were made to get up and walk (at a slow pace) for 2 minutes every 20 minutes. They found that making this one change--no dietary changes at all--decreased resting blood sugar considerably. Since I have type 2 diabetes and suspect this interferes with weight loss, I tried doing it myself, and I've found that it has more effect on my resting blood sugar than what I eat! When I have tried doing this through the working day, I've had more success losing than when I fall away from the habit (which I've done lately).

Betsy: Interesting that you see the Midwest in my post! I'm a transplant--originally from Pennsylvania. I still feel the culture shock on a daily basis

Regarding cravings, yes, you don't have to give in to cravings. How about being proactive, though? Is there something you can do to reduce those cravings? For example, are you making your healthy food nice and spicy? Or promising yourself that when you want something sweet, you'll eat a piece of fruit first? I tried this last night and although I still ate a couple 1-point cookies after my fruit, I definitely ate less sweets and overall calories than I would have if I hadn't eaten the fruit first (and managed to stay on plan for the day, unlike the two previous days).

Frankly, I think will power--at least if we define it as the ability to say no to impulses without any previous preparation--is over-rated. There have been some interesting studies that show we all have a limited amount of it, and specifically that it wears down over the course of the day--which might be why so many people have trouble sticking to plan in the evenings.

Habits and environments, though, shape what we do pretty powerfully. If there aren't any sweets around and you don't have time to run out to the store to get some, you won't eat any sweets. If you're in the habit of eating a handful of wasabi peas when you crave something salty, you won't have to think about what to do or make a choice (so will power doesn't have to come into play).

So, sure, kick yourself in the butt all you want. But then I would encourage you to try to out-smart your cravings and bad behaviors. Thinking about it when you're not hungry, not craving, and making a plan for when you are.

Everybody: Thanks for the love and encouragement regarding sadness. Betsy said "let's create some new dreams that can be realized." Although I do think it's okay to grieve, I also think this is where I need to get my head at.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #71  

Welcome Ali! I like your NO EXCUSES attitude. I am so done being fat.
Debbie your post made me chuckle. You are down 10 pounds! Excuse me light bulb moment- I was about to type "I would do anything to lose 10 pounds." DUH! Would I be willing to watch what I eat, how much and exercise? It really is up to me. I can not blame anyone else. This is my responsibility. I am doing this thing that I hate so much to myself.
Angela, what culture shock???
I'll be back I gotta give this some thought.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Wow -- great posts and thank you for giving me what I asked for. Made me think. Made me wonder why I keep doing this to myself. Made me realize that I am letting food control me and since I'm definitely on the control freak side of life, I'm amazed I've let this happen.

Last year when I was losing easily (OK, maybe that should be losing.....it's never easily) I realized that I had a weight loss buddy. We checked in every week via facebook and reported on how much weight we'd lost that week. Anybody -- or everybody -- want to buddy up and report in as to how much we lost this week. I know we all do this on an occasional basis, but I'm proposing a more formal every Friday (or whatever day is best) we come clean with what we've lost (or even gained if need be) that week. Hope someone wants to do this. I don't know if it was the competitive side of me or the knowing I HAD to report or what, but I definitely did better.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Betsy - GREAT idea!! I am doing this on the Atkins threads too and it really helps me. There is even one for whoever can loose 5lbs first wins. It is a big motivator to me.
Count me in!!!!! Any day is fine with me!!

I used to never set a goal weight or worry about the scale...now I do and I find setting definitive real numbers to achieve a goal has motivated me tremendously! I'm also quite competitive so having numbers to meet and people to hold me to it helps me even more than just will nilly `loosing weight with no goal in mind.

Regarding cravings....when you are hungry drink 8oz of water. Read a study that most people can not tell the difference between hunger pain and thirst. I've been doing it and it does help a lot.

And major ditto on removing temptations. Nearly impossible for anyone to avoid problem foods if they are around. Preparation is definitely the key to success. You know the saying - Failing to plan is Planning to fail!
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #74  

I'm struggling today. I got some horrible news today, and I want to stifle the pain. So far I haven't caved. Just say a prayer.

Last edited by dgramie; 05-09-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #75  

Hugs Debbie. Prayers will be said.