300+ Tough Love

You're on Page 3 of 18
Go to
  • Vitamins-Check
    Water-Check (Should have started earlier in the day. After lunch before I remembered.)
    Food OP-NOPE way too much!
    Exercise-Check
    Posting-Check
    Something??? is bothering me because I want to eat a huge bowl of popcorn. This means I am trying to stuff some emotion down. I just used OP foods today to stuff it down.
    Hope you are all well. I'm very tired and will post more tomorrow.
  • Food check
    Exercise a little
    Water check
    Vitamins check.
    Small plate check.
    Positive attitude. Check
  • Debbie good job and I love the positive attitude.
    I am having a much better day today. Yesterday all my plates were too full.
    I have a plan and already have my exercise in.
    Betsy and Fi great points. I like this. At night I play solitare on my tablet so I can watch a movie at the same time and not need to eat a huge bowl of popcorn.
    I like the idea of having something in my mouth. Since I am home most of the time maybe a tooth pick. Great job getting me thinking. Thanks!
    I had so much too do yesterday that I did not take time to take care of me. Sound familar Fi?
    Betsy good job thinking back to why you started mindless eating. I was always chubby but got really big when I went through a time when there was no time for myself. That is changing now so I need to change with it.
  • After a couple days of torrential rains that flooded areas near me (we live on a hill, fortunately) and opened a 75-foot-deep sinkhole in Baltimore, today is quite lovely—blue sky with just a little haze. Actually it's getting hazier quite quickly as I proofread this posting: the sun is just barely still shining, and the sky is no longer blue. I hate white-sky days!

I need to walk—just 'round the neighborhood, on the sidewalks, because I'm sure the trail around the lake will be very muddy in places. I need to walk not just for weight loss, but in order to better weather the stress from my huge house-clearing, house-organizing project. It's been shown in more than one study that exercise increases stress tolerance. But there are so many things to do today! I need to pick up a collage I had framed for my niece. I need to go grocery shopping. And as soon as Bob wakes up, we need to go buy a futon to replace one that's gone flat & hard. Plus there's the BERP (the aforementioned project)!

I would like to walk late in the day, like six o'clock. I need my butt kicked, though, to actually follow through on doing so. Could someone please give me some tough love about why I need to walk and/or how to walk even if I don't feel like it? Thanks in advance.... =smile=
  • Fi just do it.
    We need to start taking care of ourselves even if we don't feel like it!
    We are just letting ourselves get weaker then we already are when we don't exercise.
    Where is that woman who had enough energy to sail?
    Don't you ever want to sail again?
    What about traveling? Do you just want to stare out a window or do you want to get out and enjoy nature?
    Do you want Bob and Margaret to have to worry and fuss over you before it is necessary? What about all those great clothes in your closet? Aren't you sick of the stuff you have been wearing? You love rock and roll. Don't you want to dance and not just jiggle? (Too tough?)
    Come on Fi take care of yourself!
    I will be expecting you to report back that you have done it. No excuses. Check the weather and see if you have to change your time.
  • Good morning all. This has been the morning from computer h***. Won't go into details, but in spite of the fact that computers provided me with a very nice living and a nice retirement, I would have gladly thrown them all out the window this morning!

Fi, I have to tell you that I absolutely roared with laughter this morning when you said to do something with my mouth. My first thought was that I'd heard that before......albeit in a different context. Hands and mouth are taken care of -- lots of crafts (I have an entire crafts room filled with unstarted/unfinished projects that the kids will get to clean out some day and shake their heads) and I chew gum etc. Have started on the rule of eating only at the table. Have started with actually putting my fork down and tasting my food. So that leaves the mental part.

Yesterday I decided to track when I get these urges/moods/needs to eat something really bad for me. And yesterday's two times when I was tempted (didn't give in, but definitely had to struggle and talk to myself) was right after I had been to the gym and had to run by the grocery store and right after putting up the screens on the porch which is no easy feat for a 64 year old. Dawned on me that they are both times when my energy/blood sugar is probably low and I am seeking carb input to normalize. However, in the past I've normalized and then went overboard. So, I'm watching that better. The other times when I struggle are with being bored or lonely. Neither happen often, but more so during rainy season when I am indoors so much. But this all ties in with my thought that I don't want to get to the point of giving up any foods, I just want to learn how to eat them in moderation. Obviously, I can't have some things every day, but the pizza the other night was not bad as I limited myself and accompanied it with a salad with no dressing.

Anyway, this discussion and tough love is definitely helping me think through this instead of just trying the same old things that haven't been working all that well.

Fi, as to the walking. I look at going to the gym each morning as my "job." I seldom missed a day of work because I thought it was dishonest to call in sick if I wasn't really sick. So going to a job was just something that I was supposed to do. I have decided that getting healthy and fit is now my job. I'm retired. You're at home also. Getting to where we should be is what we should be doing. It is our job. So set an alarm for 6 PM and when it goes off, no hitting the snooze alarm. Stop what you're doing (which if it's BERP may make you happy!) and go take that walk. Hope that helps. I hate going to the gym, but I can tell when I haven't been over the weekend. You can do this. And Ubee's right about all the benefits and people who will be happy that you did.

OK, off to chat.
  • Oh I have learned to knit well enough to make dish clothes and it sure keeps your hands busy!
  • Great day.
    Food check
    Water check
    Exercise no. May still
    Small plate check
    Positive attitude check
  • Deb, why no exercise today? Knitting always looks so hard. Is it?
    Betsy thanks for reminding me to stop doing what doesn't work!
    Vitamins-Check
    Water-Check
    Food OP-NOPE way too much! Again...
    Exercise-Check
    Posting-Check
    I've got to get this eating under control. Wonder if it is the exercise. Angela said her doctor told her to eat protein before exercising. The guy who told the world to carb up for exercise now says to eat fats instead. If I remember I'll give it a try tomorrow.
  • Ok. I jumped on the mini tramp for 10 min. I am proud of myself. It wasn't bad for the first time in ages
  • Debbie I am proud of you!
    Loving your can do positive energy!
  • Scales rewarded with a 3 lb loss this week.
  • OMG Debbie that is awesome!
    You are giving me hope.
    Read about your nieces wedding next year. I am much more motivated when I have an event to lose for.
  • Good morning. This tough love has been so helpful -- really made me think through some things, and I realized this morning that for what may be the first time in my life, I feel in control of my eating as opposed to it being in control of me. The break through with tracking when I go off plan has helped with recognizing that I need to be very aware during those times. I've started carrying Tootsie Roll pops in my purse which are 60 calories each. My BIL has Type II Diabetes, and he always had some hard candy with him for when his blood sugar gets too low. He's not on any type of medication for it -- controls it entirely with diet.

Debbie, congrats on the 3 pounds. It's seeing results that definitely gives us that extra oomph to keep going. Ubee, you can do this. And, no, knitting isn't hard, but then I started knitting when I was 9 or 10 so I've been doing it for awhile. You might try Kumihimo. It's a type of Japanese braiding that is used to make all sorts of things. It goes very quickly, is easy to learn, and there are kits on line that can be ordered.

Over to the chat thread and then to the gym.
  • Betsy I am glad you found something to put in that mouth of yours!
    Deb, how was your day?
    Vitamins-Check
    Water-Check
    Food OP-NOPE too much. Getting better tho.
    Exercise-Check
    Posting-Check