3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   300+ Tough Love (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/295177-300-tough-love.html)

Ubee 04-27-2014 09:10 PM

Betsy I decided to tweak your lazy theme and put left overs away right after supper. It is my teens job but she was not home right away. From now on it is my job. I am too lazy to get it back out of the fridge.
Fi I know many people who eat and watch TV and have no problem. For me it is a problem because I mindlessly SHOVEL food in and then my brain thinks I did not eat. My gut and brain are not talking.
Debbie how was your day?
Vitamins-Check
Water-Check
Food OP-90% On Plan
Exercise-Check
Posting-Check
Normally I would be OK with my 10% off plan eating BUT it was my goal not to have that 10% temptation that I knew would be there. This is something I need to work and focus on. I do not need every treat offered to me when we are out. I go out too often for that to work.

dgramie 04-28-2014 07:05 AM

Hubby and I are both feeling under the weather.
I came in low on calories yesterday. Just didn't feel like eating.
Big storms rolling thru our area. Prayers for those in it's path.

Food is planned for today. If it's raining I have a backup plan.

Hoping the little ones I keep are calm today.

Ubee 04-28-2014 09:13 AM

Debbie hope you and hubby feel better.
Glad you have a plan in place.
We need to do this.
My plan is in place. Breakfast was a lot of food so I will be cutting back on the rest of the day.
I will check in tonight.

betsy2013 04-28-2014 11:50 AM

Fi, so glad that I'm not alone in the "lazy" category. I'm like Ubee. I'm finding that if I'm distracted in any way that I end up just shoveling food into my mouth. In addition to working on only eating at a table, I'm working on weighing and measuring things onto a plate and carry just the plate to the table. And slowing down when I eat. Evidently in a former life, getting satiated was dependent upon eating as quickly as possible! :dizzy:

We stopped at an Italian place for supper last night on the way home from taking the grand back home after his big fishing trip. We split a pizza, and while I probably had too many pieces (3), I was able to stop there and didn't come home to have anything else. Didn't lose yesterday, but didn't gain either. That's when I noticed that while I had finished my 3 pieces, my BIL was just beginning his 3rd piece.

Food planned out for the day -- yes
Only going to eat at the table -- yes
Will weigh and measure everything -- yes
Be conscious of what I'm eating -- yes
Record everything in my journal -- yes

Have a great day.

Radiojane 04-28-2014 11:57 AM

Definitely need a kick. What a good idea!

Ubee 04-28-2014 01:25 PM

Jane I've been waiting for you to show up. My boots are a little dusty, thought you could help clean them off...
What are you going to do about all those birthday parties? Do me a favor and count how many you go to in a year. I'm thinking a lot.
Betsy did you ever try to set down your shovel/fork between each bite?

Ubee 04-29-2014 11:52 AM

Did not get back on to post last night.
My daughter had a little choke and ended up throwing up all over our bed. I had to clean it up and give her TLC until we both feel asleep. The good news was before she did that I was trying not to raid the pantry. She took care of that!
I got my water in and my food was on plan.
Here comes the butt kicking. I had procrastinated my exercise all day and told myself I would do it after she went to bed. This is not OK. I am home all day. I put it off so somedays I can have an excuse like last night not to do it. That stops today. I will now make myself exercise before I am allowed to log onto 3FC. This place is like my sooap opera. I am addicted.
How is everyone else doing?
Deb, Jane, Betsy, we can not kick butt and lose weight if you are not around!

betsy2013 04-29-2014 12:48 PM

Dust off those boots, Ubee 'cause I need a big ol' kickin'. And what do you mean do I put down my fork/shovel between bites? We're supposed to actually look up from the plate? What a novel concept!!!! :devil:

Found another stresser (camouflaged as an excuse) which is when I get stressed/irritated/pouting over things not going as I want them to, I tend to throw the plan out the window. Yesterday instead of my planned salad (which I actually like), I warmed up the 3 pieces of left over pizza from the night before and wolfed them down in about 20 seconds. No fork involved, Ubee, just shoveled everything in and looked up for MORE. Didn't give in to eating more, but definitely need to learn to deal with things better because s*** does happen.

Ubee, hope your daughter is feeling better today and what a way to end the day. But know what you mean about procrastinating on things that we don't want to do -- like cleaning.

I'm caught in an eternal circle right now. There's a lot of yard and house work to do and I don't want to do it because it takes so much physical effort and I'm so big that it's hard to just get to everything. That results in delaying things I actually want to do which brings me back to needing to do the planned work. I know that once I lose some more weight, the house and yard work will get easier and will take less time leaving more time for fun.

Which led me to realizing that the benefits of the weight loss from a health perspective is the definition for delayed gratification. And since I know that I got to this point by not delaying gratification when it came to food, this is going to be a hard habit to break. Plus, I realized that I'm rewarding myself with food for other areas of my life where I know I have to wait on getting to the end goal. Need to find other ways of getting some short term rewards that are not food based!!!!!

Ubee 04-29-2014 01:47 PM

Betsy why didn't you give that pizza to the grands so it wouldn't even come into your house? (Cause we know where it is going to end up!)
It is a catch 22. The work will be easier once we lose weight. We will not lose weight until we start moving...
Time to get moving the clock is ticking.
What would be a good reward to you???
Movie, new book, flowers, another puppy?

Ubee 04-29-2014 07:06 PM

Vitamins-Check
Water-Check
Food OP-Check
Exercise-Check
Posting-Check

dgramie 04-29-2014 07:26 PM

Food. Check
Exercise. Check short walk
Water check
I also need to focus on eating slower.
Tonight after a planned meld I wanted Something sweet. Why?? No clue!! Hubby has a stash of candy bars and I told myself NO!! So proud!!

Fiona W 04-29-2014 08:13 PM

Betsy— There are LOTS of short-term rewards out there that are not about food, but if you've been in the food-as-reward habit, you're going to have to put a little effort into figuring out what your non-food "guilty pleasures" are.

Think: a fun hobby, reading entertaining fiction, listening to music, watching TV, watching movies, window-shopping online (a wish list at Amazon is fun!), joining a forum where people talk about something fun that you're into, sending & receiving fun snail-mail (swap-bot.com), shopping for real, collecting something that you can browse flea markets & yard sales to look for, starting a craft habit like bead necklaces or something like that....I could go on and on and in fact I have before, on this very forum.

Think: "What do I desire? If I could pick my very own no-special-occason present, what would it be? Now that I've gotten off the Co-op board, what's something fun I could do with the time I used to spend doing that?"

Your choices are as wide open as the whole wide world. You could do something social that involves other people, either in person or online. Or you could give yourself private alone-time treats. You could spend a little money on something you're always wanted, something that's not for chores but only fun.

But you're probably going to have make an effort to figure out what your best rewards are. You seem like someone who keeps herself busy with chores around the house & yard, and busy with doing things for other people, but doesn't have much practice with doing stuff that is simply for personal entertainment. Your "muscles" for having fun may be weak and underused, so you're going to have to exercise them.

Consider your butt kicked on this issue of short-term rewards!! You're not afraid to do something purely 'cause it's FUN, are you?

Ubee 04-29-2014 08:23 PM

Debbie good for you! Would hubby be willing to hide his stash? Or does he give in like my husband does? Give yourself credit for posting also.
Great ideas Fi. Glad you are here. You have such a nice way of giving a kick in the butt. I'm a tad bit blunt.
Betsy what about giving up that big costco bag of same old same old coffee and getting some stuff that would make Dean drool?
You are all helping to motivate me. THANKS!

betsy2013 04-30-2014 01:01 PM

Fi, you are so right about the short term rewards. Actually, I do have lots of things that I do both in a social and alone time setting. What I've got to break as a habit is the almost constant reaching for food. I was trying to think when this really got to be this bad. I've had trouble my entire adult life with easily gaining weight, but sort of kept it in check for many years. In what can only be labeled a moment of insanity, I began smoking in 1988 (try living in a town named Winston-Salem and not smoking!). To say that I got completely orally fixated would be an understatement. When I quit in 1997, I was orally fixated AND working on a horrendous project where I was literally at the office 16-17 hour days usually 6 days a week. And the project lasted five years. I got in the habit of eating everything on the fly and eating mindlessly and putting something in my mouth as often as I used to light up a cigarette. 50 pounds later, it dawned on me that there might be a problem.

I'm rethinking this need for short term rewards. I'm retired. I travel. I read. I entertain and go out with friends. I spoil Toby. I have the grands for weekends and send them home when I get tired. So, I think that having fun and doing things for myself was a short adjustment period for me. It's the mindless eating and that has to stop. I'm seriously looking at getting those long C-clamp things they use to keep babies out of cabinets so that I have to really stop and question what I'm getting out of the kitchen pantry or frig. I'll think some more on this and get back to you all.

Ubee......not sure that another puppy would be a reward especially considering that Becky spends almost every day over here. But maybe chasing another puppy would give me less time to mindless eat! :D

Fiona W 04-30-2014 05:09 PM

Betsy (and others)— It sounds like what you need is to disconnect your fun activities from eating. That is, whatever you are doing for fun—be it reading, TV, playing w/ the grands, other socializing, etc.—should require your full attention.

And eating, too, requires your full attention, when you sit down at the table to do that. Remember Brooke Castillo's term "fog eating"? It sounds like you need to completely eradicate fog eating—the kind where you're doing something else at the same time, so you hardly even know that the hand is reaching for the food and putting it in your mouth.

Two ideas:

Suggestion #1: Do something about your hands. Tie them up in another activity, like knitting, spinning, needlework, beading...the list is endless. Please don't tell me you don't have the manual skills and/or you're not creative enough for those things. There's a useful distinction here between craft projects and art. Crafts do not require more than the amount of creativity that everyone has: what they do require is a willingness to learn the craft. That's what lessons are for. Anyone can learn to knit: trust me on that one. And once you learn it, whatever craft you choose, you develop a lifelong habit that stops fog eating in its tracks. And a lifelong companion as well. You can knit (I'm using knitting as an example) while socializing, while watching TV, while listening to audio books, while doing any activity that doesn't already require your hands. I have friends who are knitters, and they never go anywhere without their knitting. Knitting for them is so automatic, they can do it while standing in line, while holding an animated conversation, while watching an absorbing movie or TV show, and so on. And it's inobtrusive to other people: the sight of someone doing some craft with their hands does not detract in any way either from what others are doing or the quality of their interaction with you.

Suggestion #2: Do something about your mouth. That is, for example, chew sugarless gum. Simple, but effective. You can't eat while you're chewing gum. Since you've been a smoker before, you might even consider chewing nicotine gum. Do you find that a shocking suggestion? Consider this: nicotine has been conclusively shown, in study after study after study, to not be the ingredient in tobacco that increases heart disease and cancer. It's not even especially addictive: recent research has shown that it's several other components of tobacco that cause, when they are combined with nicotine, the fierce addiction we all know about. Nicotine alone is safe, minimally addictive if at all, and available without a prescription. And it has beneficial effects, especially on one's ability to focus, to pay full attention to something and to stay on task. Google "benefits of nicotine" if you don't believe me. And google "ingredients in tobacco that are harmful" as well.

And guess what? You think of me as being so strong in the willpower area, right? I do both of the things I just suggested, and they've wiped out my fog eating, pretty much all my off-plan eating. I have a few different things I do with my hands while watching TV, socializing, or whatever: clipping images for collage from magazines, sketching, doodling ideas for collage, making envelopes, and decorating my outgoing mail (w/ rubber stamps, fancy tape, stickers, etc..) None of those hand-intensive activities are so consuming that I can't pay attention to the program or to the conversation. They in fact help me relax and stay focused on the show or the other person. And I absolutely cannot eat while I'm doing them, because they require both of my hands.

Not only that, I also chew nicotine gum. And I have never been a smoker—not one cigarette in my whole life. I took up chewing nicotine gum to help with my cookie cravings, and it works like a charm. The reason I can tell you that nicotine is not only safe, but beneficial, is that I did extensive reasearch on this topic before I ordered my first package of nicotine gum from Amazon. After using nicotine gum for about seven months, I've noticed no tendency to get addicted to it, no craving for it when I haven't had any in a while, and it's amazingly useful for helping me focus on and sustain a task, such as my current house-clearing, house-organizing project. There's no "rush" from it, and it doesn't alter my mental state in any other way. The only disadvantage it has, in my view, is that it's expensive. But it's worth it!

I also chew ordinary sugarless gum—and I like trying lots of different flavors—especially when I am reading, since it's hard to read while doing a hand-intensive activity, but it's a time when I really used to do fog eating. Now I've got my oral fixation, if we have to call it that, covered. I can't read and eat and chew gum at the same time, but I can read and chew gum. Problem solved.

Well, I'll babbled on long enough....I hope you'll consider these ideas, and do your own research, sign up for a class, whatever you need to do to get eating disconnected from your many activities, and to put something else in your hands and in your mouth.