Old 04-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #121  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

My swim was positively lackluster today. At least I went, but my heart was not in it. Mostly because it was so crowded.

My meeting for tonight got cancelled so I'm going to try and get some more housework done.

Betsey You're always so busy! It amazes me all the things you get done!

Ubee I know what you mean about setting yourself up. You can do it though!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Good Evening Everyone,

Welp, Tuesday night didn't go so well for me. My stomach was still very upset and I did end up getting sick a few times. After doing some research I'm finding out that it is the birth control pills I was prescribed that is making me sick. Apparently this is a common symptom with some women with PCOS. I read online that sometimes taking it at night will help with the symptoms and that it can sometimes take a month for your body to get used to the hormones. Umm....Not sure if my body didn't already know this, but I'm trying to lose weight here! I don't have time to sit around with an upset stomach and not exercise!! There's no way I'm going to wait a month for this medicine to start working and not make me sick. I didn't take it in the morning today but DH wants me to try taking it at night first to see what happens and how it effects my body before completely giving up on taking it so that's what I'm going to do. I did call the doctor's office today and left a message for the nurse with my problem. I didn't hear back from her today so hopefully she'll call tomorrow. There is a drug out there call Provera that you can take once a month to help regulate your cycle so I am going to ask about that. That is really the only reason why I'm on the BC in the first place.

I did feel better today for the most part for not taking my BC in the morning. I had an omelet next door at the diner beside my job. It wasn't much of a omelet, just some scrambled eggs with some veggies mixed in lol...I won't order from there again. I did eat one piece of wheat toast and a little bit of the hash browns it came with. I ended up eating a berry pecan salad for dinner. Tomorrow I will be back completely on plan. I haven't been really wanting to eat much this week other than today since my stomach has been all upset.

Needless to say with all of this sickness this week I haven't worked out at all. Today was the first day back doing exercise. I decided to do legs today. I could only do about 30 minutes before I just was like, yeahh...I'm done. But I know that 30 minutes is better than nothing. Hopefully I can pick up the slack the rest of the week.

Fi Love the names for the kittens...so cute!! I'm sorry to hear about not having your medicine. Been there done that before and it isn't fun! Hopefully you get it soon so you can start feeling better!

[/B]Ubee[/B] Yeah I'm definitely not eating that stuff anymore...I'm having to fight temptation more now because I let myself have that. I did pretty good today being on plan. Tomorrow I'll be back to 100%. Just hoping me being sick hasn't stalled my weight loss...I've probably lost some weight, but not the right way.

Betsy I didn't know how else to describe the mac n cheese lol...It wasn't boxed crap so I figured that would be the best way to describe it LOL...You are right, some things shouldn't be off limits, but in my case, high carb items like pastas are something that I should have once a year lol...Carbs and I do not go well together and that is what gets me into trouble, so I tried to avoid bread, pasta, cereal, etc as much as possible. Those are the things I can see myself binging on if I am not careful.

Tomorrow is my last day of work for the week! My co-worker and I have done pretty good being by ourselves this week without the manager. I was worried with us being the only ones there it would be balls to the walls for lack of a better term LOL....But we're doing good. OH!!!! I almost forgot to tell you guys hehehe...I know I shouldn't be laughing about this, but I got a message from an ex friend of mine yesterday. We stopped talking in January...it was her decision and I obliged because I just am too old to deal with the childish drama anymore...ANYWAY! She messaged me and said, hey, saw you were losing weight. You look awesome. I'm jealous! HA!!! You know what I say!?!? The weight loss makes it so much better to know that your enemies are jealous! LOL...I know I shouldn't feel like that, but just knowing that she is online stalking me to see what I'm doing and she knows what's up just makes it all the worth while...I'm not going to give up this fight, and knowing that people who are waiting to see me fail like her are lurking around makes me want to work even harder! She's doing me a favor and she doesn't even know it!

Anyway, I'm off to relax with DH for the rest of the night. Hope everyone has a great evening!

PS!!! I forgot to share with you guys my 3 month progress pictures...Check em out!!

http://instagram.com/p/mu36n2J3FO/

http://instagram.com/p/mu4L6Yp3Fy/

Last edited by SamIAm86; 04-16-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Adding photos
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I am so blessed, one of my best friends came over tonight and helped me start to clean up. I just didn't know where to start it was THAT bad. Now at least the living room and entry way are clean enough that I'll be okay with NON best friends entering my home. We did half the kitchen too. She did so much for me, I am really lucky to have friends who help me I can't believe I let it get this bad but... now there's light. People are coming over on friday, I'm nervous I never have people over. I'm ALWAYS the one going out. Ah well... super awesome friends are making this possible. eeks..
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #124  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Well I had to charge an ungodly amount of money on our credit card for only a month's supply, because we are temporarily without pharmacy coverage, but I finally got my meds and am feeling like myself again. I sure hope we get reimbursed...jeez...

Thanks, y'all, for the nice words about the kitten names. I'm pretty stressed out about the big change that will be coming up in July, when Bob and I will be parents of felines again. The house has to be absolutely squared away and spic-n-span before the wee ones arrive, and there's a WHOLE lot to do. I won't be making many collages for a while! One of the things I learned in med school that has really stuck with me over the years is that positive stressors, like new fur-kids to love, are just as hard on one's body and mind as the negative stressors we usually think of when we think about stress. (Remember that, Sam, because successful weight loss is a positive stressor!)

I had something happen today that almost brought me to tears: all of a sudden, totally out of the blue, my beloved iPad2 has a crack in it—right down the middle, all the way from top to bottom. It doesn't alter the images very much, but it's most unsettling, because I was handling it with the same TLC I always do. I have no idea how it happened. Ever since my iPad2 arrived in the mail on April 14, 2011 (you see I remember the exact date), it's been my ever-present companion, basically surgically attached to me from dawn 'til midnight. I only use my laptop for scanning art & letters and uploading my collages: everything else, including reading books, writing the rough draft of a novel, painting portraits of our last pair of cats, learning French, and so much more, I do on the iPad2. I wouldn't even want an upgrade if someone gave it to me for free, because the subsequent iPads weigh a good bit more. So I hope this crack isn't the beginning of the end of what has been a lovely relationship...

Boy, I sure don't envy you guys with all that Easter candy... As you know, I'm a pagan, so I only have to deal with one candy-intensive holiday: Hallowe'en. Please know that my thoughts are with you as you face the challenge of saying, "Just a little bit."

Jane— Crowded pool...what a bummer. But you did your swim: that's what counts.

Sam— Your hormone situation sounds truly frustrating. I hope you get it sorted out soon. I was amazed by your new pictures: lookin' GOOD, girl! Don't worry over what you weigh: the proof is in the visible changes in your body. Are you taking your measurements? If not, get started on tracking those, because they're much more meaningful than the scale. Always remember: muscle weighs more than fat.

Betsy— Dyeing eggs is excellent, because that will give you something healthy to eat on Sunday. Good luck with the big push to get ready, and also with those accursed temptations!

Ubee— Would it work for you to set aside in advance exactly what candy you're going to allow yourself to eat, like in your own private basket with fake grass and the whole bit? And then eat it very sloooooowly and maximize the pleasure in every bite? Do try this: take some time to yourself before the candy time begins, even if you have to set the alarm and get up early, and do 10 minutes of deep slow breathing. I just read in The Willpower Instinct that a session of deep slow breathing (exhale through pursed lips to make it slower) before a willpower challenge is very helpful in mobilizing the right parts of your brain to exercise control.

Silent— That's terrific about your friend helpin' you get moving on the housework. Do you suppose she could come to my house next week and help me? =grin=

Terra— You deserve tons of credit for keepin' up with your walking, even with a cold!

I agree that it's worrisome that Larry isn't checking in more often. And I miss Donna (MountainWalker), too: her marital issues were really troubling her, when last she was here. And what about Erin? She had that big success with her PKU daughter bein' interviewed, and I was just about to say that she looked nice in the video, too, but she didn't come back. I should've said it sooner, I guess. I also wonder about Christopher: he would've been enthused about our kittens, because he had a little darling of his own. Oh well...

Last edited by Fiona W; 04-16-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!
Yesterday was off plan and my body is rejecting those foods.
Fi didn't know that about good stress. Thanks. I read that you can now just replace the screen on your ipad. Good luck.
Silent glad your friends came to help. Enjoy having your company over and remember they are coming to see you not your house. I sure have missed you.
Sam today is a great day to get 100% back on plan. Hope you and your doctor finds something that works for you.
Jane you are so good for me. Maybe I shouldn't set myself up. Maybe it is time to be our own best friend.
Betsy I love how you make the holidays so special for your family! Where do you find all that energy? I haven't colored eggs for a few years. I wasn't even going to have baskets this year. My husband informed me the kids were taking that news too hard. Guess I forget how important it is to celebrate life. Well the big meal will be on plan. (Sorta...)
I've realized I really have been setting myself up and planning food treats in advance much like when I was at my heaviest. Back to writing down my meals ahead of time and sticking to it.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #126  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

SamIam Probably the most inappropriately satisfying moment of my weight loss was when my aunt saw what I'd lost. (I think it was like 90 pounds between when I'd saw her last). She pursed her lips like nothing else and all she said was "I need to get back on the treadmill". All the "skinny" people in my life that just have a few pounds to lose really got into gear when I started losing. Some were genuinely inspired, but some... wow the jealousy. I loved it, but I'm vain that way

Silent I've always defined my best friend as the person who can come into my house when it's an absolute disaster. I'm glad you had help. That can seem like way too monumental a task to handle.

Ubee It really must be in the air! I've been "thinking ahead" to my food lately - which is a bad sign. I did manage to resist ordering in last night, but that's more to do with having a freezer full of stuff to eat and facing being unemployed than worrying about my diet. If your big meal is on plan you are ahead of the game my dear! (PS, every time I see your posts I want to go back to Wisconsin! I want a Caribou coffee!

Day 3 at 377.6. Annoying much???? Today is my last meeting with my tenants and it makes me so sad. I really do love my job.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. It's another rainy day here, and I absolutely have to go to Costco and the grocery store -- I'm on a schedule here and heaven helps anyone who deters me.

Jane Good for you for going to the pool even if you feel as though it wasn't a great workout. There are some days with the exercise where I do it, but my heart is somewhere else -- usually thinking about how nice it would be to sit and read a book! And I know that the water weight is an irritant. With the stress from your job ending, I'm sure your body is clinging to every ounce. I did laugh about your pleasure with your aunt's reaction. Are there any of us who haven't had that reaction with at least one person in our lives? I figure we have all earned that feeling ten times over! Hope things are going better with your boyfriend as well.
Ubee We've all been struggling (or a lot of us) for the past few weeks. You're definitely not alone, and you (and I!) know what the triggers are and what we need to do. Don't know where the energy comes from -- have always been over organized with lists. May be why I was a project manager! How is it going with your husband's new schedule? BTW, Toby got a hold of the egg carton with the first dozen eggs and managed to knock them onto the floor, broke every single one, and ran off with two in his mouth. He definitely knew he was in trouble for that one!
Fi Glad you were able to get your medicine, but hate that you're running into problems at all. And to have a crack in your ipad. You've mentioned your ipad before, and I know how attached I am to my electronics, so hope Ubee is right and you can get the glass replaced. Do you have a protective case for it? I ask because my niece and nephew bought cases for their 2 ipads that the boys (6 and 3) use. I can find out where they got them (ordered them online probably from Amazon) if you'd like.
SilentArctic What a great friend to come help you clean up. And your friends are coming to see you. Hope you have a great time and enjoy it.
Sam Hope you're feeling better soon and that taking your BC at night helps with these symptoms. Definitely not fun to feel that way. Your description was fine -- just gave me a chuckle. And I know all too well what you mean about pasta and the effect from the carbs.

When I was cooking the eggs yesterday, I tried a new method and baked them in the oven instead of boiling them. Worked great and I like always having some hard boiled eggs in the house to put in salads and just as a snack. You put the eggs in a muffin tin (the miniature muffin tins easily holds a large egg), put them in a preheated 350 degree oven, and bake for 30 minutes. Put in ice water for 10 minutes immediately after they come out of the oven. I used a dozen to dye for the boys, put a dozen aside to make deviled eggs for Sunday, and will probably cook up a dozen to have on hand once I replenish my supply. And on that note, I'd better get it in gear. Hope everyone has a good day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #128  
rockin' my 60s!

Betsy— Why do you have to put the eggs in ice water after they're baked? Kind of defeats the purpose of its being a low-mess approach, to have to do that. I also wonder if the energy use works out: 'seems like it would take a lot more energy to pre-heat and run an oven at 350 for 30 minutes, plus the energy to make the ice cubes, than just boiling the eggs in water. And if you're doing it in the summer, you gotta factor in the extra load on the a/c from using the oven....awww, maybe I think too much. =laugh=

Oh, and yes I have a couple of different cases for my iPad, but they're for when I'm carrying it out of the house. At home it just has a silicone sleeve on it, to make it easy to hold onto and to carry in one hand.

Last edited by Fiona W; 04-17-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

Just checking in briefly... I WILL admit to a peanut butter doughnut yesterday which almost threw me into diving facefirst into the box of doughnuts, LOL. I restrained myself, but giving in every once in a while, while OK for most, can be very bad for me, as I can go crazy after that first little taste.

Ready for a great weekend. We've got a deacon workday tomorrow at some of the homes our older church members so hopefully I can burn off the doughnut!

Have a great weekend and a Happy Easter!

Dean
vwdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #130  

Good Morning!
Dean I can so relate to one taste and wanting the whole box+.
Fi I looked up the cost to repair your screen $249. Yikes! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Betsy did Toby like/eat his eggs? My husbands new schedule is so wonderful. It is great for him and all of us. Some people get what we are doing, some think he got demoted and others think we are crazy. It just depends on their life experiences and priorities. Have a great busy weekend!
Jane I'm trying to use our new budget to get creative and eat less. Also I've decided to turn that planning treats into planning smart choices.
In case we don't all get on line tomorrow...

Last edited by Ubee; 04-18-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. It's finally stopped raining and the sun is actually out. That's because I spent the entire afternoon yesterday running errands and doing grocery shopping in the rain!

Fi I love this oven approach to doing hard boiled eggs because I have a very bad habit of forgetting to check on the eggs and end up letting them boil for 20 minutes resulting in eggs that could be used as balls they're so rubbery. Since I also baked something else in with the eggs, doubt if I wasted that much energy -- although I do see your point -- but doubt if there's much difference between cooking them on the stove top and baking them. The water bath is something that is done with many foods to stop the cooking process. For example, when I'm blanching veggies to put in a salad, they always go in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process -- prevents them from getting too mushy. I remember your saying that you didn't cook, and I thought this was so interesting in terms of our two different perspectives.
Dean I'm with Ubee in understanding the just one might lead to the entire box. I firmly believe that my biggest success on this journey is not the weight loss, but if I can get to the point where I have control over portions.......especially over those items where I could gladly eat everything! Good for you on stopping at one. What a nice idea to have a workday for your older members.
Ubee Toby would have liked them, but I chased him all over the house and was yelling at him so he knew he'd been a bad doggie and dropped the egg that he was trying to eat, sunk to the floor, and looked up at me without raising his head. We've been working on the "stealing" problem -- I sometimes think he does it just to get me to chase him around. So glad the new schedule is working out -- I totally understand and wish I'd done a better job of using my time when I was working. Good luck with the budget.

Yesterday was a big milestone as I finally got to mark a day off as having stayed on plan the entire day. Last night I had horrible cravings for either the Fritos or else some of the Easter candy, but had a glass of flavored drink mix and some grapes. It's going to take several days to get the sugar/excess carbs out of my system. I also looked back through my blog where I track my weight loss, and I've been hovering around the same weight point for a year now. The good news is that I've maintained. The bad news is that if you asked me, I would have told you I was trying to lose weight. So, hopefully today is the start of a much more productive weight loss period. Have a wonderful Easter if things get too hectic over the weekend.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #132  

Betsy so happy to hear you had an on plan day!!! I love your Toby story. So interesting between cats and dogs. When I yell at my cat he just glares at me like I am doing something wrong.
How is everyone else doing?
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #133  
rockin' my 60s!

Congratulations, Betsy, for your first on-plan day in April! And I'm way impressed with you, Dean, that you were able to stop after just one donut. Donuts are a real weakness of mine, second only to cookies in their power to alter my mind. I know a lot of people are able to have a treat and count it in their carbs/calories for the day, but I had to take the "cold turkey" approach to cookies, donuts, and all candy in order to get serious about weight loss.

Yesterday I felt really stessed out and overwhelmed by the disaster area that is our house. Every time I tried to focus on dealing with just one pile of stuff, I'd keep being distracted by all the other piles. And I've been feeling kind of like a plant uprooted from its comfy bed: instead of reading, writing, and making art, I have to get the house in shape before the kittens arrive in July. I've been calling this long-postponed endeavor the BERP, for Big Entropy Reduction Project. So if you hear me talking about the BERP, you'll know what I'm talking about. The whole BERP, which will take at least several weeks to complete, has to be finished before Bob and I can pitch in together to actually clean the house.

Today is going better, though, I've been steadily working on "clipping" magazines and catalogs. When I "clip" a magazine, it means I go through it page by page with scissors in hand, and clip out any images, or even just areas of pattern or color, that I may be able to use in collage. I put the clippings in low, open-topped boxes, and eventually take the boxes up to my collage room and sort the clippings into other boxes in categories like people, animals, landscapes, etc. It's a process that eats up a lot of time, but there's no other way for me to tackle the piles of paper that are choking our space, and toss 99% of it into the recycle bin. At least I get to think about collage when I'm doing it, and I like the feeling of creating order out of chaos.

Back to more clipping, although I should grab some meat or cheese first, because I haven't had lunch yet...
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #134  

HELP! Someone just dropped off the most beautiful plate of cookies. They are fancy cut outs. Others decorated like fluffy sheep (maybe macroons)with almond slivers for ears... I've had them before at Christmas, they taste so good. We are supposed to be gluten free. I want to keep them all.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #135  
Technology for the Loss

S/C/G: 372/346/330

Height: 6 feet even

Grab a cookie and a huge bottle of water then run Ubee!!

Fiona - You might need to go check out a movie to clear your mind and get out of the house for a moment. That Johnny Depp Transcendence movie came out on Thursday and there's Captain America too

betsy - I've been hovering around the same pounds too and this week just aid forget it and dove face first into a change into what Im eating. It seems to be working and after shopping at Target and Whole Foods(read: wallet -> OUCH), we replaced 50% of ALL food in the house. It's really helped to reset temptations and now I'm forced to grab healthier alternatives for snacks.

vwdeano - I'm finding it's best to have that one doughnut then eat a whole lot of stuff later because you didn't. You have a good weekend!

Sam - All I can say is have a restful weekend. Women go through alot of things...

silent - Nothing like great family and friends to pick you up. It can be hard on just one person.

Right now, I am so shocked at my own body. This week was TOM but I wanted to try something out. I've managed to stay btw 1600 and 1400 calories this entire week and the scale says I now weigh 347.2 pounds??? IS THIS SERIOUS? They aint kidding about the 3 pounds a week thing LOL
gurlnextgen is offline   Reply With Quote