300+ Chat Thread: February, 2014

You're on Page 6 of 19
Go to
  • Here's something that comes under the heading of "small victories": my car was just about out of gas yesterday, so I pulled into the 7-11 where I usually fill up (they have the best price). Before I even got out of my car at the pump, I realized with a sinking sensation that I wanted very badly to go into the 7-11 and buy a bunch of the cookies I used to binge on. 'Scared the h-e-l-l out of me. So I peeled out of there as fast as I could. Well today, my car was still out of gas, right? Guess what: I was able to pull back into the same 7-11 and get gas—no problem. I thought about those cookies they had, going "Ha ha ha! You cookies don't boss ME around no more!" =big grin=

So I'm finally getting my mojo back—yay!

Larry— I've had that same thought about not very many old fat people...but my paternal grandmother was an exception: she was quite fat, and lived to 84, sharp as a tack to the very last day. She died of a stroke: I guess her weight was a risk factor for that. I think it's great you're becoming an expert on volumetrics. I would like to become an expert on low-carbohydrate diets, but I've fallen behind on my reading because I was so busy studying French to keep up with my Belgian friend. I guess I don't have to do that anymore, but I kind of want to anyway, because I've always wanted to be fluent in a 2nd language, and this is my chance...

Erin— That's really terrific you're halfway to your 10% goal! I hope you have a fabulous and a romantic time on your date night with your husband...

Terra— Sorry I haven't had a chance to comment on your weight loss: 5 pounds is excellent! I hope you can find a way to be putting in those walks every day: those sound like a key part of what you're giving to yourself these days. You gotta give love to yourself, all of us do!

Sam— Gosh, that's terrible news about your friend in Portland. I hope he gets some serious help! Are you guys still in touch? If you have a postal address for him, I bet he'd appreciate knowing that you're thinking about him. (I'm big on the postal system, on sending letters and cards: in the age of the Internet, good ol' paper-and-pen communication means a lot more than it used to, because it's special.) Oh and by the way, I think it is majorly cool that your husband plays in a band!! I'm a serious rock-n-roll fan, and I love reggae, too! The closest I've gotten to having my husband in a band is that Bob used to do sound for a little bar band in Houston. Bob has a PhD and was on the faculty at Rice at the time, so the band always used to introduce him as "The Professor," even though bands don't usually do that for just the sound guy. It was pretty funny.

silent— I'm also curious to know where you're goin' on your vacation—somewhere warm, I assume! Please try to banish those thoughts about wishing you had lost more weight by now: you're a beautiful woman, and you should be lovin' yourself just exactly the way you are.

Jane— Glad to see you back! I'm impressed that you're in a 26 and a 2X: you go girl!! I wish I were that size already, but then I wish I were tall like you are. At least the size part I can do something about... =laugh=

Dean— Good for you that you've been stayin' on plan and that your A1C is down! Say, I'd like to hear more about those doggies of yours, when you get a chance. What are their personalities like?

Ubee— I really appreciate what you said about my collage, about how the woman is bright and lively: you're right, 'cause I did want there to be something upbeat about the collage, even though it's expressing pain. Thanks so much for what you said about my being stronger: at first when I read your words I thought, "Naah, I'm not stronger." But then the more I thought about it, I realized that when I started on 3FC, I hadn't conquered my binging on cookies yet: that was a HUGE step. Say, I had a thought about your being tired: are you sure you're getting enough sodium? You're the expert on your Grain Brain diet, but I've read that low-carb diets tend to be diuretic—as in you pee out both water and sodium. I've noticed that I have more energy if I have a big mug of broth every day: that's what they recommend for people on Atkins, as a healthy way to take in a bit more sodium. Just any kind of bouillon cube is the easiest way to do it: I like the chicken ones, so it tastes like good ol' Jewish-remedy chicken soup. =smile=

Melissa— Wow—I loved your comment on my collage! It's the best one I've gotten, and that includes the art forums I'm on. You articulated very well the sense of old-timey entertainment at the seaside, and I hadn't noticed that the angles of the postcard pieces suggest a possibility for repair. The end of an adventure and the beginning of a new chapter, huh? Well, today at least I'm not ready for that adventure to be over. I just sent Robine a package with a favorite (very peaceful) CD and a card with a note on it about how I hope our friendship can survive the end of our email correspondence. So my heart is still on the line... =sigh= I just don't give up on relationships very easily...

Betsy— I know you're busy takin' care of your bro-in-law, but I want you to know I miss you!
  • Hi all. Just popping in to say hi. I'm so sorry, but I haven't even read the posts. My brother-in-law is home from the hospital, and I am his primary care giver -- to say I have new found respect bordering on awe for nurses is an understatement. We're doing fine, but absolutely no free time so haven't been posting.

Glad to see everyone is still on and a few new ones as I was whizzing to the end of the page. It may be a few weeks before I can get back into a normal routine again, but missed you all and just wanted to say hi.
  • ~Erin~ ~ Thanks commenting on my weightloss, Im glad a loss is a loss no matter how little it is. Im sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you and your husband enjoy your date night.

Fiona ~ Thanks for commenting on my weightloss, Im definitely gonna make sure I get my 3 walks in every day from now on starting today.

betsy2013 ~ Nice to see you post on the thread, We cant wait to hear from you on a regular basis again, I hope your brother in law is doing good.

My day is going good. I havent walked today but I will get my 3 walks in before the day is over for sure. Its been a big headache here at home we were having plumbing problems last night but my older brother fixed it so now our plumbing is working again so thats a relief. I didnt realize Clyde was hungry last night so he kept me up from 12:25 am to 2:00 am and then after he ate and after I took him outside, He was content but my mom ended up waking up at 2 am also so I stayed up and visited with her for awhile, She had only gotten 2 hours of sleep because she was stressed about the plumbing so anyway I went back to sleep at 3:30 am and slept until 8:00 am and then I went back to sleep at 9:00 am and slept for an hour and now its 1:00 pm and Im still trying to wake up. Anyway sorry for such a long post. Have a Great Day Everyone
  • Greetings!
    Terra, never be sorry for a long post! Chatting is good it helps to keep us motivated. We want to hear what you have to say! Five pounds is not a small amount. Give yourself credit, and google a pound of fat image. I just wish I could choose where each pound came off of. Glad the plumbing is good. Now lets get to work on getting a good nights sleep!
    Betsy enjoy your time as Nurse Goodbody.
    Fi I was so excited for you when you had your MAJOR victory! Glad you realized and gave yourself credit for being stronger! I am no expert on anything... Thanks for the advice on the salt. I think you may be right about that. I just ordered my Atkins book so I can learn more.
    Larry so true about the old fat people. I do see some however I can not think of a healthy/active fat elderly person.
    Erin I love dates. Please tell us how it went. (Up to a certain point,) Down 6 pounds! WTG!
    Sam I did not know milk was not a good idea for people with PCOS. I need to do more research. Thanks.
    Silent I'm impressed you are able to paint a smile on your face. I would take the easy way out and do a no show. I also try to keep shopping simple because I do not have a lot of fashion sense and too many decisions make my brain hurt. A vacation in March? Should I pack a bikini for my vacarious vacation?
    Dean good job with the A1C! Now that was what I was asking about, the important stuff like health and emotional well being.
    Jane sorry you don't get good energy in your hometown. Positive energy is so important. Mind sharing what your favorite purchase was?
    I feel like a puff fish... I may have not had enough veggies today.
    Have a good night!
  • I ate a lot today but I am under my calorie goal again thanks to Volumetrics.

Three days of cool weather, cloudy and rain. At least I don't have to shovel it Sunday is supposed to have better weather.
  • I weighed myself today and lost another 2 lbs The looking at my post above this one I just realized that I weighed a day too early (A Senior Moment?). Monday is my normal weigh in day. Oh well I am certainly not giving back the 2 pounds.

Thanks to Volumetrics I am eating more and losing more,
  • Hello! Anyone out there?
    Larry nice loss!
    Having a good day today. I remembered to put lemon juice in my water. So if I am retaining fluid (I really hope so!) it will help to flush it out.
    How is everyone doing?
  • So sorry for my absence everyone. It's been a long few days for me. Emotionally & Physically drained. But I'm better today I'll be on later after I get some writing in to ease my mind now that I'm able to.

On the plus side I lost 2 pounds
  • Ubee ~ Yeah I looked at what a pound of fat looks like, Its a good amount I lost from what I could see from the picture. Im glad our plumbing is working now and Yes I got a good night sleep last night

Larry ~ Congrats on the 2 pound loss, That is great

Kiki ~ Way 2 Go on the 2 pound loss

Tomorrow is the start of a full week of walking 3 times a day for 45 mins each time, I also have two meetings to go too and go run errands on Tuesday like we do every Tuesday. So Im gonna have a busy week this coming week but Im looking forward to it. I hope everyone has a fantastic day.
  • Hi, everyone! I've been lurking around here for a week or so. Guess it's time I join the conversation! I wish this forum was a bit more mobile friendly. I would be able to check in more often that way. Congrats on the losses and NSV's!

My own losses have been a bit wishy-washy lately. There is a definite difference in how much I lose depending on whether I tracked my meals that week or not. I'm using Lose It! now, and it is helping me keep on track. Do any of you use Lose It? If you do, you can add me as a friend. My email address there is aokelli @ aol.com. I've got exactly 15 lbs to go before I hit my first mini-goal, which is to get out of the 300's. Here I go!
  • Gwynwyn I'm rooting for you! Get ready to say good bye to the 300's forever!
    Terra did you get your walks in today?
    Kiki woohoo on the 2 pounds! Take care of yourself.
  • Gwynwyn ~ Welcome 2 The Thread

Ubee ~ Nope I take Sunday's off to relax but I'll get back at it tomorrow for sure
  • Hello!!

Late check in for me today...My lack of getting sleep this week finally caught up to me, and I'm sure the staying out until 3 am last night didn't help

Thank you everyone who has been showing me love and support while I've been feeling a little down about my friend. I haven't been able to get any new news about him or where he is at this time. My assumption would be he is still in Portland receiving care, but his parents may have taken him back to Texas where they live. I am hoping he finally gets the help he needs and I will be there for him in any way I can.

Erin I hope you had a great date night with DH. We all need that from time to time, especially if you have kids, which I don't but I can still relate the need to have some quality time with your special someone

Terra Great job on the 5 lb loss!! You're doing great! Keep it up!

Larry The words of your cardiologist from so many years ago are very profound. That even has given me motivation not to give up!! Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Ubee I was surprised about the milk thing as well. I never really thought about it. I've had no problem switching my milk to almond milk, I quite enjoy it. Even though it is still up in the air from what I'm reading about cheeses, sour creams, and yogurts as to if one should stay away from those, I'm going to just to help myself even more as much as possible. I'm sure I'll have the occasional cheese, and raw, unpasteurized cheese is even better, but I'm going to do my best to watch how much I consume. If you are interested in more information check out PCOS Diva...She's got a TON of information

Fiona I am so proud of you!!! I know how hard it is to say no to the cookies and cakes. I have such a sweet tooth so I've been trying hard not to eat them. I did have a peanut butter cup this week from Justin's Organic...It isn't as processed as other candies, and is organic. It was a good treat and even though there were two in the pack, I only ate one. Keep that mojo goin girly!!! <3

Betsy Miss you love. You are such a wonderful SIL to your BIL to be his nurse while he recovers. We'll miss you here, but get what you need to get done, and we'll be here when you get back

Kiki Great job on the 2 lb loss!! Any loss is still a loss, keep it up!!

Gwynwyn Welcome dear! We are all very supportive of one another and the love is strong here...You will LOVE it...I feel bad if I skip a check in because I want to keep up with everyone and this is a great place for me to express everything going on with my weight loss journey since I almost feel like I shouldn't talk about it all the time with my family, though they are being very supportive

So like I said, last night was a night alright. I remember why I don't get out much anymore lol...I'm 27 but feel like I'm past my partying stage. I don't drink anymore, but even though I was sipping water most of the night I still had a great time, and DH kicked so much butt on the stage last night! Music is his passion and I'm so glad he's playing in a band again. It's been awhile since he's been this happy. DH and I have been talking and we are making many changes and have set many goals in the next hopefully 5 years. I am going to continue working on my weight loss and I'm sure when he's ready (I think he's getting close) he will do the same with watching what he eats. He isn't making so much of a drastic change as I have so far, but I'm slowly noticing small things he's doing, and he almost always eats what I cook for dinner now where before if it wasn't something he wanted, he'd go to McDonalds and get a burger We also are planning to look for a piece of land to purchase, about an acre or maybe two, and we are going to build our own tiny house. I don't know if many of you know what I mean by a tiny house, but it basically is a micro house. A lot of places and people around the country, and even the world are down sizing their possessions and building, or moving into small houses. Any by small, most of them are less than 500 square feet. We are planning to have about 500 sqft for ours, but we are going to start saving for it. Right now we live paycheck to paycheck, DH is disabled so I am the only one working. We have decided instead of staying in debt for the rest of our lives that we would do something more affordable and if we decide to want a bigger house, we'll add on to the one we've got. We're estimating to build the house it will be under $10K. It is going to be a big change for us, and we have a lot we would have to get rid of, but it's about the necessities in life. I know if one bad thing were to happen to us, we would definitely lose our house if we had decided to purchase one that we could barely afford. We don't want to be like our parents were and lived beyond our means. His parents lost their house a few years ago, and my mother had to file bankruptcy about 15 years ago. She has slowly recovered but at this time doesn't even have her own place. She lives with my grandma. We don't want to live beyond our means, and we don't want to be stressed out by unnecessary things. It's going to be a big change, but I think we're ready for it.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day. I'm hoping to have at least the 4 lbs lost that I gained the week before, if not, I'll keep on truckin. Next week for lunch I'm having spaghetti squash with chunky turkey and veggie sauce and I've made a peanut butter gluten free oatmeal for breakfast that I'll add fruit to.

I hope everyone has a great evening! Check in tomorrow Love to all! <3
  • Sam ~ Thats great that you enjoyed watching your husband play in his band and thats also great that you guys are planning to build your own house, Thats very cool.

Im looking forward to getting back to walking tomorrow. Im also looking forward running errands on Tuesday and going to my meetings on Wed. and Thursday, Even though they are meetings they are still fun and its still nice to see and talk to everyone
  • Hi everyone. Date night was a lot of fun last night. We went and had a great dinner at a place called The Red Ox & seen a movie. The drinks at the reasurant were a little to good! I know I went over my calories for sure. I wish all reasurants would have nutritional information on their menu. We then went and seen American Hustle. Was pretty good. I still made sure to do my weigh in today. Down 7.4 for the entire week. Today I took my daughter ice skating. Maybe next year I can get on the ice with her. Sadly she hurt her wrist when she fell and has been up and down a lot tonight because of the pain. I may end up taking her to the ER to have it x-rayed. Lets hope it is just bruised.