3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 300+ Club

300+ Chat Thread: January, 2014

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #61

S/C/G: 353/290/180

Height: 5'11"

Betsy - Hope you are doing well with the busy! I don't know that I have "me" figured out I Just know that I need to, I probably never will but finding and embracing bits of me that I like is highly necessary to improving my quality of life. You would think by your mid 30's you'd have all that figured out. Or that's what I thought when I was younger. Not so much! I still really don't know what I "want to do when I grow up" lol I just keep figuring out what I *don't* want. Ah well.

Fi - Awesome about the congrats from the doctor its always nice to get external affirmation of a job well done.

Ubee - I just wish there was some routine that would work for me long term is all. I haven't figured that out yet.

Merstopher - Iqaluit is bracing for quite the storm right now! Hope you have a more relaxed tuesday.

Rebecca - Welcome back

MW - Sorry your not feeling well!

pjv - me too I am still out of whack, I did not want to get up for work this morning again. Sorry aout your tragedy, that really sucks.

Larry - Keep on rocking the losses

So I splurged last night, it being Christmas Eve and all (Ukranian Orthodox Chrismas lol ). Storebought perogies, not the healthiest supper but It is what it is.

I didn't indulge in my music therapy instead I watched some "lie to me" on netflix and worked on a scarf i'm making i've made so many mistakes on it but hopefully no one will notice. I had the brilliant idea to try and add some pizzass and sparkle by carefully sewing some sequins on it what was I thinking. I think I might stop and just finish crocheting the thing and then do an equal number of rows at the other side. so that the ends are just that little bit of sparkly sparkly.

Weight is meh I expected that after the perogies. up a lb but i am pretty sure I was a dum-dum and missed my bp meds yesterday AM one of those is a diuretic so I don't think I really gained weight its just, abnormal water retention. Not good for my heart but I didn't mean to miss the pill not much I can do just keep on taking it as normal again. And hopeo my body straightens itself out asap.

Mini Goals Celebrated:
310> Feb 2014 - 300> April 2014 290>May 2014
Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #62

S/C/G: 396/340/160

Height: 5'7"

What a great group we've got here in the 300+ thread. From all over the world, lots of ages, and great communicators. Wish I'd accepted how important having support would be in this journey about 30 years ago! (Of course, it would be a little harder since the Internet was in its infancy then.)

Fi -- So glad you went to the doctor and are going to the cardiologist. Hope that the cardiologist doesn't find any blockages or other problems. And congrats on the doctor's feedback on your weight loss. It is wonderful to get those compliments.

Ubee -- As always, you gave me today's chuckle with holding the 5 pound roast. I think I mentioned before that I had a friend who filled up a garbage can with sand equal to what she lost. Got to the point where she couldn't budge the thing. Love the comfortable versus clean plate......gee, you mean we're supposed to listen to our bodies instead of looking at our plates? Good luck with the pizza -- hope everyone likes it.

Larry -- Congrats on the staying on plan and losing 2 more pounds. And glad that my "words of wisdom" (believe me, any words of wisdom from me are an accident) are ones to remember. I'll have to make sure I remember them.

Merstopher -- Wow, Monday is a busy day for you. Staying on plan when busy is always a challenge, but it sounds like you've got the right attitude and skills for doing that.

Rebecca -- Welcome back and good luck with all you've got going on. Donna is correct that there are threads for people having WLS, but this group is great with giving overall support in the effort regardless of one's approach.

Donna -- Hope your body is getting over its revolt. Got to laughing about the Dr. not asking when your last period is. I'm 64. The nurse still asks me when they're doing the check in -- just a standard question they go through. I told her some time when Clinton was President. She responded......Oh, that's around when I was born. There, don't you feel like a spring chicken now! The weather fairies are not happy with Earth right now -- hope your rain stops soon. Laughed at sending that yippy dog outside. Good place for those urges to cheat!

Pam -- What sad news on losing the Board member. I know as a counselor, you're probably getting called upon to provide assistance. It is always hard to know what is going on with other people some times.

SilentArctic -- I chuckled over your going through discovering what you don't want to be and are still trying to find what you do want to be. Welcome to the club -- I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. The perogis sound wonderful, and having them as a special treat is not going to derail you. I, too, have missed taking my BP pill -- man, it really makes a difference!

Well, I finally get to update my binge free counter to 1 day. I got through yesterday and stayed on plan. Mentally, I'm amazed at how empowered I feel. Fi, I'm looking forward to joining you at 37 days.

Have a great day all and for those of you caught up in this arctic blast, stay warm and safe.

Binge Free Days: 1

Mini Goals: Move Here Weight (2005): 344 (Done), Stop Smoking Weight (1997): 333, Mom Remarried (1990) 313, Twoderville: 299, Move to NC (1989): 280, Closer to 200 than 300: 249, More to Come....

Last edited by betsy2013 : 01-07-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #63
rockin' my 50s!

S/C/G: 351/275/140

Height: 5'3"

Darn it all, I just wrote a long posting with separate comments for everyone, but then as I was previewing it, my browser crashed and I lost the whole thing! I'm too discouraged to re-create it, I'm afraid, because I got on the scale this morning, only to find that I've gained 3 lbs. since last Tuesday. I just knew that 6 lb. loss in 10 days had to be a fluke. I don't feel like changing my ticker, either. This is exactly why I don't like to weigh myself more often than once a month. I was going to join Nightkatt's challenge and weigh myself every week, but now I'm having second thoughts: it just isn't worth it for the negative effect on my mood.

At any rate, y'all will just have to imagine all the sweet and supportive things I said to each of you. =laugh= And I was encouraging to those of you who are trying out my yappy dog scenario. Best wishes and warm thoughts to everyone!

Current mini-goal: Get down to 260
Pounds to go: 15

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mini-goal 1: 30 days binge-free —> done 12/21/13 & binge-free now
Mini-goal 2: Get down to 280 —> done 5/22/14
Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #64
rockin' my 50s!

I will say this again to silentarctic on the subject of figuring out who "me" is and what you want to do with the rest of your life: Have you ever tried keeping a handwritten journal? I find that the process of writing things down by hand really helps me slow down my thoughts and consolidate my ideas. It's also been shown in studies to be very helpful to people who are working to accomplish a longterm goal, like losing a lot of weight. If you don't have a journal and would like one, just drop me your address in a private message, and I'll mail you one. I have more of them than I know what to do with—seriously. Just consider it my Random Act of Kindness for the week.

And Ubee, I really wanted to say how much I'm appreciating your positive energy about your new diet. I'm so glad to hear your daughter is doing well: she sounds like a very special person.

You're right, Betsy, we really do have a great bunch of people here on this thread. I look forward to hearing about your making it 30 days free of junk food! Most of my "binges" were not a whole lot of food either, but boy am I relieved to be free of them.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #65

S/C/G: 327/277/?

Good Evening!
Silent, I had to look up perogies. Wish I hadn't. YUM! I figure "me" is a work in progress and my last page will be written after my last loved ones pass on and there is no one left to remember me. Sorry if it sounds grim it wasn't meant that way.
Betsy, good job on day 1 being binge free! I would take the nurse still asking you about your period as a compliment that you look so young. Don't question it. Run with it!
Fi sorry about your post it is so frustrating when that happens. It seems to me not so long ago I was talking about my 3 pounds and you came on here and explained how easy it is to have a little extra water for all kinds of reasons. You were right. It went away!
Thank you for all your kind words everyone about our daughter. She is the most precious girl in the world. I would do anything for her. I am so grateful this diet is helping her. Having it help me lose weight is a bonus!
My pizza was a success! Almond flour is kind of like corn meal.
Have a warm and fuzzy evening!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #66
Master(de)bater

S/C/G: 308/296/215

Height: 6'4"

Another "comfortable feeling in my belly" lol... I tend to unwind after a late(ish) supper. That's my way of saying I am satisfied but managed to stop short of having a full feeling

Good day today, after a short stop off at home after work dragged myself to the gym and actually feel quite good after 45 minutes of cardio. It is COLD with the wind outside! I'm glad I have the gym membership.

Will be under calorie goal again today... Woohoo! I was going to cook two entre portions of chicken, but after my salad decided on only one... And what? I'm satisfied? Wow!

And I joined a 8 week weight loss challenge "the biggest loser" on myfitnesspal forums. I hope my inherently competitive nature will serve me well over the next 8 weeks in moving the yardsticks (that I will have when I am allowed to have a tracker)

When I do get to have a signature, I will add the quote I am aspiring to embrace as a way of life, by the great Ben Franklin... "Eat to live, don't live to eat"

I hope you all are having the best day you can!

I've read all your posts but have a hard time keeping it all straight when I post. It's my ADD. Squirrel!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #67
rockin' my 50s!

merstopher— When you're posting on the full "advanced" screen, you can see everybody else's postings down below your text window, if you scroll down—so you don't have to remember them. Just a tip... Say, good luck with your "biggest loser" competition. It sounds like your diet & exercise are both going really well, so you should kick butt! (I tried to say a-s-s but the darn forum software replaced it with ***!)

Last edited by Fiona W : 01-07-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #68

S/C/G: 317/259/155

Height: 5' 6"

My diet planning is complicated. I count calories but I must consider the following:

1. As a cardiac bypass patient I should eat low fat.

2. I have very low blood pressure and my cardiologist says add salt to my diet.

3. When I add salt I retain fluid which is bad for my heart.

4. I had a kidney removed and I need to be carefull not to eat too much protein.

5. For the last 6 months I have been anemic and I should eat more protein in red meat.

6. So, low fat and low protein leaves me with carbohydrates as my main food.

7. Eating simple carbohydrates with reduced fat and protein does not satisfy my hunger.

8. So my plan is to eat complex carbohydrates with limited protein and fat. This seems to satisfy me.

The bottom line was I was on plan and under my calorie goal on Tuesday other than a little high on protein.

Last edited by Larry H : 01-08-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #69
mountain walker

S/C/G: 360/323/196

Height: 5ft7"

Wow Larry, I am really confused just reading it! I have a little book that has the calories in everything from dog food to washing up liquid and a weighing scales...tedious but effective!
A very strange thing happened to me yesterday. I had a really busy day and had a very light lunch. When it came to evening meal time I was low on calories and very hungry....in my stomach as opposed to in my head.....and I rather liked the feeling! I am so unused to feeling proper body hunger instead of " what can I eat now??" brain hunger. Am I weird or what?
It actually has stopped raining for a few hours but more is forecast for later today........I managed a dog walk without getting soaked which made a change!! My poor chickens are a bit stir crazy as they have hardly been out of the coop for weeks...but we have had a start to the egg laying....hooray!!
They are so tasty!
Going to have a session on wii dance later.....yes I look silly but goodness it's hard work!!!
Have a good day my lovely chicken friends!!!

[/color]lowest weight:19 stone 8 (Nov 2012 after 6 months on 3FC)
current weight 323
highest weight 364lbs

Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #70

S/C/G: 396/340/160

Today is my BIL's birthday, so I'm taking him out to dinner tonight. I've planned out the calories so should be ok. My sister passed away almost 5 years ago, so we kind of keep each other going.

Fi -- THANK YOU FOR THE POSTING TIP! Just scrolled down and realized that the 10 notepads I've filled up over the last year with notes from each poster can now stop. Glad your browser came back up, and I'll live vicariously on your kind but unpublished words. Don't worry about your ticker -- I only change mine when it goes down. Gives me a reminder of where I was and need to be again when I have one of those weight fluctuations.

Ubee -- Love your thought on your story will last until no one remembers you. It's so timely as I'm to the point now where I tell my grands about my parents and my grandparents and my sister. And, of course, I include pictures of everyone. Maybe that's why I've gotten to the point where I ask for memories for my birthday now instead of presents. Glad your pizza was a success and love your comments on your daughter -- a parent's love for a child is hard to hide.

Merstopher -- Man, you are rockin' it. It's good to have such an active poster on this thread as it reminds me that a workout at the gym is supposed to involve sweat and not just socializing with the girls.

Larry -- Glad you have figured out what suits your best because it's confusing! You sound like my doctor visits -- the cardiologist says to eat low salt, the nephrologist says low protein, the internist says low everything. Maybe now that obesity has been declared an illness, we'll begin to see access to nutritionists who can develop diet plans based on our specific body types/issues.

Donna -- Love the stomach versus brain analogy. I think there's a quote in there: If the stomach is hungry, eat. If the brain is hungry, send the yippy dog outside. OK. It won't make history, but might keep us on track. Fresh eggs from your hens -- wish I had access to fresh eggs as, you're right, they are so much better than store bought.

Rainy season has returned here (not as bad as you've been having, Donna) so Toby is bringing in lots of mud whenever he's outside. He's getting a bath this week in preparation for obedience class next week. Off to town to get groceries for the birthday parties this weekend (niece and BIL) at my house. Hope all of you have a great day.

Binge Free Days: 2

Mini Goals: Move Here Weight (2005): 344 (Done), Stop Smoking Weight (1997): 333, Mom Remarried (1990) 313, Twoderville: 299, Move to NC (1989): 280, Closer to 200 than 300: 249, More to Come....
Old 01-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #71
Haven't quit yet!

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

I've been lurking a lot lately. Just haven't had the energy to do much, it's been so cold here (-50C with the windchill for DAYS at a time), and the crash from the holidays... I'm back at it though, mostly because I miss the energy I had when I was exercising regularly!

I'll be back tomorrow. Promise

2014 Reboot!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #72

S/C/G: 373/ticker/180

Height: 5"9

Hello all

I hope you all had a great holiday!

I am back in Egypt and haven't stepped on my scale yet.... but I came back with TOM and feeling a bit under the weather...so I decided to give myself a few days to get back into life, and then right back into the groove...

So I am likely back into daily check ins and will be back into reading about your progress and supporting you all...

Here's hoping 2014 is a great year for us all!!

First mini goal
Drop 10%

Walk to Mordor 54 miles done 1715 left
Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #73

S/C/G: 327/277/?

Good Afternoon!
Chris, glad all is well. I also have ADD which is why I post so often. If there are too many posts it is overwhelming. Plus I stop in often during my down times.
Yikes Larry! Glad I am not cooking for you! Have you tried grass fed beef? The nutritionist told my husband after heart surgery that it is as healthy for him as chicken or fish.
Donna good job with the exercise and recognizing real hunger! Do you have a lot of egg recipes?
Betsy have fun tonight! Loved the gym was not only meant to socialize comment! Nice work on day 2 binge free.
Jane I knew you would come back to us! I missed you!
Time4me how was your visit home? Good to see you again!
This energy is unbelieveable! I cleaned my house today and no one is coming over. I had a huge pile of papers that I have been going through for months. Today I went through them in 20 minutes and kept 10 things and tossed the rest. Is this how normal people feel and think? If this keeps up I may start exercising!
How is everyone doing?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #74
Haven't quit yet!

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

Haha I'm never gone long UBEE!

My pool was closed at lunch because of staff sickness, and I'm super stressed and was looking forward to that!

I sit on the board of a local non profit. Mostly because it was something my dad helped found when he was alive and I feel like I SHOULD be involved. We're having major issues ranging from bad PR to staffing, and it's wearing me down.

Add to that my company is up for sale AGAIN. This is the third time in two years. It's exhausting!!!

end whine.

2014 Reboot!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #75
rockin' my 50s!

Well, when I saw my shrink today, he was yet another M.D. who says I was nuts not to go to the E.R. when I had the chest pain. I said I was so focused on dealing with the pain, I couldn't think about anything else. So he asked, "Why didn't Bob think to take you?"

Good question. The thing is, my husband is not only suffering from treatment-resistant depression, he is terribly housebound because of his agoraphobia. I mean, he's so housebound, he can't even walk to the curb and bring in the recycle bin. So of course he was not ready to think of doing something that involved leaving the house. But he's ready now: we've talked it over, and he's got his mind set that if it happens again, we're off to the E.R. without hesitation.

I'm doin' pretty good this week, moodwise and dietwise both. Last night I pulled off a food-related accomplishment: I made myself a yummy salad of baby spinach, grape tomatoes, and pitted kalamata olives, and that's what I had for dinner. While that may sound par for the course for most dieters, i've had a really bad problem with buying salad makings and then not eating them, and having to throw them out. I used to cook when I was younger, but I got out of the habit during the overworked period of medical school and residency, so I hardly ever make anything in the kitchen. Mostly what I eat on Atkins is packaged organic lunch meat and cheese sticks. I've got enough ingredients left to make the same salad for dinner tonight, and I'm really looking forward to it! =smile=

Jane— Nice to see you again! Too bad about your pool being closed. I can certainly appreciate the stress you're under between your job and that non-profit. But kudos for you that you know the exercise helps with your mood: many people never do figure that out.

Ubee— Wow, that's great about all your energy! Cleaning out piles of papers even—most impressive. While I don't have the energy of "normal people" because of my bipolar disorder, I would definitely say that cutting way back on carbs, with none at all in the form of sugar, flour, cereal, etc., has made a big difference in how bright and alert I am. Back in the evil days when I was overdosing on that stuff, I used to spend my days in in a semi-stupor. It shocks me to remember how nonfunctional I was.

Melissa— Welcome back, and happy new year! I'm eager, too, to hear how your holidays were. Any family unpleasantness, or did it all go well?

Betsy— Toby keeps you busy looking after the dirt he tracks in and all! While cats are easier to take care of than dogs, it reminds me that not everything will be fun and games when we get our new kittens. Jeez, though, I'm so eager for my breeder to call me and tell me she's got a pregnant female, I can hardly stand it. I still have around six months to wait, though, before we actually have a house with two oriental shorthairs again. It's so weird not to have cats snuggled up to me day and night, especially during the winter. Today I pulled out a pair of gloves I hadn't worn in a couple of years, and I was touched to see they had a few hairs from our grey male who died in 2011. Your sweet doggy is one precious package...but I don't need to tell you that. And say, congrats on 2 days binge free! The more days you accumulate, the easier it will get to stay on course.

Larry— You're right: your diet planning is complicated. Good for you that you've figured out what works!

Donna— That's really great about your noticing the difference between stomach hunger and brain hunger! I used to dislike stomach hunger: it made me feel deprived and nervous. But these days, I actually enjoy having an empty stomach, and when that real hunger strikes, it feels good to me.

Speaking of which, those salad fixings are calling out my name...

Last edited by Fiona W : 01-08-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.