Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Hey guys, knocked out with another cold so no personals, I'm still alive though, just checkin in since last time you threatened to send out the mounties!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #167  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Betsey: I selected orange. Or rather, my bf did. (picked the other colors in the house). I did not handle the weather gracefully.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Good Evening Everyone!!

Had another productive day! Work went by super fast and since I've been home from work I've just been hanging out, looking up different whole food, clean eating recipes online.

Jane So sorry to hear about the leaky windows!! The little set backs in life definitely test our emotions don't they? You seem to be handling it well though. Nice to hear you got to go in the pool! My neighborhood has 2 pools, but they are both outdoor and its too cold to go and during the summer months there are way to many kids to be able to enjoy yourself.

Plucky I am a lot like you, if I had all the money in the world I would spend so much time picking out awesome spices and things to cook with so I can try new things. DH is an excellent cook. I do ok, but the only time I actually get excited about cooking something is if I'm trying to watch what I eat. As long as I can keep it interesting and don't get bored with the food then I think I'll be ok with this weightloss journey.

Betsey I am pretty sure I am settled on not going, unless I have no choice, then what can you do if the boss makes you go? She's pretty understanding so I don't think it will be a problem. Your day seems to have been pretty busy! DH and I have also done the roasted brussel sprouts with bacon before. It is really good! Just have to be careful with what oils you choose.

Silent Sorry to hear about you being sick! I hope you get better soon!

Tonight's dinner was a little bit of a repeat of last night's. I had some left over brown rice so I just zapped it in the microwave and topped it with some pinto beans that DH was going to have beans and cornbread with. It was a huge pot so he's not missing any. I topped it with salsa, a little cheese and sour cream but left out the corn like I had last night. It was super yummy and filling. I've been trying to read up more online about how to eat right with my PCOS to be able to lose the weight and hopefully help with treating the PCOS. It seems like the whole foods diet I am doing right now is just the thing to do, but I also need to watch the carbs intake which I think I've been doing pretty successfully now. Also today, I had a pretty happy moment...This week I decided to stop drinking diet sodas and focus simply on drinking plain water (I'm eating clean so that means no artificial sugars). I'm actually starting to crave the water even though I am not a very thirsty person for the most part. I had read online that it is good to try and drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day. I've been trying to drink as much as I can and have been drinking roughly 130 oz a day give or take a few ounces. Today, I actually drank 1/2 my body weight in ounces. DH wants me to be a little careful though because too much water can harm you somehow he says...I feel like I've read that online too, but you can't always believe everything you read online hehehe. I'm just trying to stay focused on drinking lots of water, and not so much making sure I drink 1/2 my weight in ounces. I am definitely keep flushed out though HAHA! Tomorrow I am pretty excited about getting to cook. I found a 100% natural whole chicken on sale at one the grocery stores I stopped at earlier this week and I plan on making greek lemon and rosemary chicken with cauliflower mash and some sort of green probably on the side. I'm going to tell DH I want to do it all by myself even though I have never cooked a whole chicken before, Eeek! I'm sure I'll do fine though, I have a meat thermometer to make sure I get it to the right temp, and if I get stuck I know he'll help. I'm going to try and be sneaky with the cauliflower mash though...I don't know if he'll like it or try it. Maybe I should buy a single potato just in case he doesn't like it. I'm hoping he does though because I'm really trying to get him to eat right and it has been quite a challenge. But I'm taking it slow because I know if I b**** about it too much he'll rebel like a teenager against me lol...We've all been there I'm sure. Anyway, DH doesn't have band practice for the rest of the week so I think I'm going to try and go spend some time with him. I've been wanting to watch American Horror Story Coven on Netflix so maybe it can be our "movie" night I hope everyone had a great day and I'll check in again soon! Big love to everyone!! ='.'=
Old 01-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Well day one of my experiment eating breakfast. I chose a double serving of Fiber One cereal with 3/4 cup of 2% milk. It tasted good and it was filling.

I finished today at 1274 calories, well under my 1440 goal.
Because of this cereal I had 67 grams of fiber, way above my goal of 30

I am not sure what to expect tomorrow, I volunteered to help serve food at the Annual East West Shrine Football Game Tailgate Party. I did this last year and we served about 6,000 people. I will be tired tomorrow night.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Hey all!

I am winding down from a long day. I have a kitty on my lap as I try and balance the laptop on the other side of my lap.

Ubee Having a buddy to encourage you sounds great. I hope you had a great lunch together. Where did you go and what did you decide to have for lunch?

Betsy Mmmm the brussel sprouts sound yummy. I don't eat bacon but I love the way coconut fat flavours food. I love cooking sliced apples with sliced chicken breast and cinnamon in a sautee pan. A quick and yummy meal. I find my recipes so simple that I don't usually write them down. But a cookbook sounds intriguing.

Silentartic Sorry to hear you are sick. Feel better soon.

Sam I do get bored of some foods for awhile. I am getting tired of tofu these days and I am on the verge of needing a break from shrimp. I never thought I would say that about shrimp but I often have it for a quick light meal. It was only a couple of years ago that I started cooking whole chickens. You got a great deal! Whole chickens can be a cheaper option but now always, sometimes the thighs or drumsticks are cheaper. I looked at an organic chicken and it was over $30 and trust me it wasn't huge so I went with the conventional chicken. Or as I like to say frankenchicken. Let us know how the chicken turns out.

Tomorrow I am going for a massage and I am looking forward to it. Then I am meeting my friends for our monthly brunch. I also hope to walk several blocks in the area and pick up some organic produce, cheese and olive oil.

Good night!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #171  

Hey Everyone!

I'm checking in a little later than usual because it's the weekend and I don't have to sit in front of a computer all day I got up earlier than I had planned today so I had my oatmeal as usual. I ended up getting back in bed and relaxing for a little bit and to read some health blogs until and then ran to Walmart real quick to grab my cauliflower and a few other items I needed. Right now I'm roasting a spaghetti squash in the oven and plan to eat that for lunch. Tonight I'm making a lemony rosemary roasted chicken with cauliflower mash. DH of course refused to eat the cauliflower mash so I got him a potato instead. We kind of had an argument because I'm expressing my worry for him and he has gotten irritated. He said he can't eat "diet" food because it has not taste. I don't want to eat diet food either but I don't feel like I am really being deprived right now. I am just choosing to eat real food because I feel like crap otherwise, and that's what I told him. I guess I am just going to have to leave it alone and when he's ready he'll come around. I can understand it being frustrating and irritating to him for me to be on him so much because people have done that to me my whole life, and I never really thought about it that way until now. I just really worry, I can't help it, but I am going to keep my distance with it. Anyway! It is freezing here today and the wind is really gusty so I am staying in today. I've been in other threads to see how things are there too but honestly I like this one the best. Everyone seems to post often and I feel like I can relate to everyone here here a lot better. I also am looking up different exercise routines with resistance bands. That's something I think I want to try and do and incorporate walking in. I just need to be active!! I hope everyone is having an awesome day!! TTFN!!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #172  
Master(de)bater

S/C/G: 308/259/215

Height: 6'4"

Hi all,

I am also typing with a kitty moving from spot to spot on me, every time I move my ipad to a new suitable location to type he decides he wants to move into just the right place to be in my way again... Little sh*t.

I had a good day yesterday, went and saw American hustle but saved some calorie room for popcorn. Today I have some housecleaning to do and will watch the sens play the rangers in the NHL (go sens!)... I will do the first period on the stationary bike.

Maybe this evening when my gym opens (I have a membership at a Jewish community centre so they are closed Saturday until dusk) I will go for a swim then maybe have a steak? Mmmm... Steak.... .

Sam - you definitely can get water toxicity but it is hard to do with healthy kidneys, I wouldn't try though! Usually there's a psychiatric reason or severe dry mouth as a side effect of a medication... Too much water can dangerously deplete your salt levels in your blood. Like I said though, hard to do. "Psychogenic polydipsia"... There's a flashback to medical school!

Larry - hope your day of volunteerism is going well!

Silent - feel better. I'd say "get some fresh air" but...

Betsy - Brussels sprouts - blah!!! You love em or you hate em. I vote latter.

Radio - bad luck, you seem to be handling it well. I am in a newer condo, and loving it for the opposite reason you are hating yours... Such low maintenance! And no shoveling of canadian winter snow.

Plucky - I shop every couple of days, just pick up a few items at a time, keep the meals simple. Just me to worry about!

Ubee - "BE" competitive and add exercise as an incentive to your competition!

Happy Saturday all...
Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning all. After days of thick pea soup fog, I awoke this morning to a gorgeous sunrise and now it's nice and sunny out. Our weather in the NW is changeable -- sometimes a big change within 10 minutes!

Merstopher -- As usual, I'm exhausted just reading about your day. May have to take a nap. Your cat sounds like my dog, Toby, who is convinced he's a lap dog at 60+ pounds. Wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy your steak and the brussel sprouts have become an acquired taste as I got older.....or maybe my taste buds just don't work as well as they used to.

Sam -- Sorry DH didn't like the cauliflower mash. I have to admit, I tried it once....the key word being once. However, I did find that mashing up a cooked rutabaga was as close to having a potato as I'd ever come. More carbs than cauliflower, but hit the spot. Hope your chicken came out well. And, yes, you're right that nagging your DH won't move him any faster towards eating better.

Plucky -- Thanks for the apple and cinnamon idea with the chicken breast. I'll try that. Hope you enjoyed your massage.

Larry -- Sounds like you're in those early stages of figuring out what works and what doesn't. And, of course, there's always the frustration of some days one thing works and other days it won't. Hope the volunteering goes well -- sounds like you'll be pooped!

Jane -- The orange for the bedroom sounds nice and warm -- although I am assuming it's a somewhat muted orange as opposed to something that might glow in the night. Hope the window situation is on the way to being resolved.

Not as much on my plate today other than returning a bunch of phone calls. I'm back to asking myself if I'm hungry whenever I reach for something to eat -- definitely find myself falling back into old habits that I thought were broken. Evidently, they just went on a little vacation. What worked before is that I made a rule for myself that before I could eat anything, I had to ask if I was hungry. If the answer was no, then hands off. If I was hungry, then I could eat something healthy even if it wasn't on my meal plan for the day. Hope everyone has a great day and a good weekend.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #174  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good afternoon. I'm keeping it short because I need all my time and energy for teenage drama...
Silent hope you get better soon and thanks for letting us know what is going on.
Sam great work with the water. I still am working on that. As for diet food, it can taste way better then that stuff that got us to 300+. Keep on trying new things. You are doing great.
Larry how are you feeling with all that fiber?
Andrea I am going to take lessons from you on how to take care of my soul! I feel like I live at the grocery store also.
Chris take a break and rub your kitties belly!
Betsy, Toby weighs 60 pounds??? When did that happen? I need to stop doing mindless eating. I will try to ask myself if I am hungry.
Jane, sorry about your troubles. I think your orange will be very warm looking.
My teenager just announced she is going to a friends house. Thank God! She is a good kid but we are going through the "I need a few things to teach you yet" and she has life all figured out. I know it is normal. I was way worse at her age.
Something Sam said is tickling my brain. I hated it all these years when people wanted me to get healthy. Yesterday with my friend I spent a lot of time worrying about her and wanting her to get healthy. No nagging just thinking. Now my brain hurts.
Have a good day!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Hey ya'll hope you are doing okay. still coughing away, always looking for silver linings. The numbers on the scale are friendly when you don't feel like eating too much. I made sweet potatoe fries last night and woke up at 2am and wanted noodles. So I had some i thought the scales would be up today simply from the salt intake but luckily not.

I have a pot luck to attend tonight hopefully I don't eat too much there. The problem is when my throat is itchy eating cold or hot foods feels SO good. I should probably skip it but I'm feeling stir crazy and want to go maybe I'll just go for afew minutes to see people.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #176  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Howdy folks! I just wanted to check in and let y'all know I haven't disappeared. I went through a very rough week in my relationship with my Belgian friend, which resulted on my eating some of the evil C-word, plus a whole jar of peanut butter, plus rather more muesli than I should have for a couple days in a row. But as of today, the storm seems to be over: I fasted until the evening, and then had some smoked turkey for dinner. I feel back on track, and that's a good feeling!

I think I taught myself something: when I'm in a rough place, emotionally speaking, eating the wrong foods does not help me feel better, and ends up making me feel worse because of how much I castigate myself in the aftermath. Why is it that such a blatantly obvious lesson is so difficult for me to learn?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #177  

Hello my favorite people!!

Just doing a quick check in before bed.

merstopher you're a sens fan huh? That's cool. My team is the Caps!! I haven't caught much of the season this year but we seem to be doing ok How was the movie? DH and I went and saw Anchorman 2 right after Christmas...it was really funny if you haven't seen it yet.

betseyThe chicken and the cauliflowe mash turned out really good. DH was really surprised at how good the chicken I made really was lol...The cauliflower mash is an aquired taste but I went in knowing it wouldn't be like potatoes and I thought it was good. I just won't put as much onion in it next time.

Tonight after dinner DH and I were watching a documentary on Netflix and I smelled something burning. We opened our door and the whole house was full of smoke!! Somehow when DH turned off my pot of cauliflower mash it accidentally got turned on to high instead of off and it burned the mash and got so hot that it caused the souldering to melt out of the pot!! I am so glad my apartment didn't catch fire!!! We had to open both doors and turn on the fans and got the smoke out. How scary that was!! So needless to say I don't have any left over mash now but meh, it's ok. I can always make something else to gonwitj the chicken. I'm pretty tired so I'm headed to bed! Hope everyone had a good day!!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #178  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Fun day yesterday, The East West Shrine Football Game tailgate party lasted from 11:00 AM until 4:30 PM, I was serving pulled pork the entire time. I saw a large number of my friends that had come to the game from all over the USA and Canada. It was especially nice to see so many old friends come though the food line from the Buffalo, NY area where I used to call home. It was sunny, but cold and windy in the parking lot where this was held. 49 degrees which is figid fo Florida. I heard once that you burn calories when shivering in the cold. It this is true I must have burned through a lot. The preparation prior to starting at 11 AM involved a lot of walking and carrying items. I walked about two hours. I have no idea of how far I walked because it all was in the general area of the event. As I said , I had a fun day and I have already signed up for next years game. The East beat the West 23 to 10. I finished the day at 1,408 calories which was just within my goal. My Sodium was a little high at 3,203 due to the BBQ at the tailgate party.

SamIAm86 - I feel your frustration with your DH eating habits. I used to feel the same about my DW. I learned a very difficult lesson in life a long time ago that "I CAN NOT FIX ANYONE ELSE" the only person I have a chance of changing is "ME" Be an example of success and your DH may one day ask "HOW DID YOU DO IT?" I am sure glad you did not have a fire.

merstopher - I am a cat person also so I can easily picture yours getting in your way constantly.

betsy2013 - You were right I was pooped when I got home, I fell asleep in front of the TV which always irritates my DW

Ubee - I have not noticed any side effects from the excess fiber, No bloat or gas. I am with you and Sam, I also hated people telling me what I shpuld do to get healthy. As a result I try not to others what to do although it is hard to refrain from when the other person is a loved one.

silentarctic - Hope your throat is better. I use sugar free cough drops when I get that.

Fiona W - Glad you checked in I was beginning to worry.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

May I join this group?

I currently am sitting at 306lbs, with my highest being 321lbs last year. Most of my adult life, I hovered around 285lbs, so when I saw that 321lbs on the scale, it was really a wake up call for me.

I'm going to be trying the Ideal Protein program. I have about 6 friends who have had a lot of success with it. I live in a rural area, so it's harder for me to meal plan, so a pre-made program will work best for me. I've ordered the food and am waiting to get it.

Here's to making 2014 my year.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. Today is the annual Co-op Board retreat, and instead of sitting here pouting about it, dreading it (you know......the acting like a three year old in a very large and aged body), I decided to look forward to it and assume that we will come up with some great ideas. I'm trying to apply the same approach to the eating plan. I feel that forbidding certain foods just leads to the eventual binges, so I'm trying to allow incorporating them as long as I stay within calorie and carb ranges. My behavior over my life is that I will never get over my love of potato chips, ice cream, and chocolate, but that shouldn't mean that I have to eat all of them at once (see previous note about acting like a 3 year old!).

Larry -- It was exhausting just reading about all you did yesterday, but sounds like you had a great time -- and got LOTS of exercise as well. I think anyone would have fallen asleep in their recliner after that.

Sam -- Glad DH liked the chicken and really glad you didn't have a fire in your house. Good thing you two were home for the evening and still awake when it got smoky. I imagine you'll check the burner setting frequently for a few weeks.

Fi -- Glad to see you posting today. And we all struggle with learning that emotional eating doesn't make us feel any better -- and frequently makes us feel worse emotionally. Glad that you feel back on track. Just sorry that this whole situation caused you so much pain and anxiety.

Silent -- Sorry you're still coughing away, but understand the stir crazy. You're such a social person, I can understand the desire to just pop in to the pot luck to say hi to everyone. Hope tomorrow sees continued improvement.

Ubee -- Ah, yes, the teenage years. You have my sympathy. Yes, Toby is getting to be a big boy. He was almost 3 months old when I got him, and is at 6 months now. He's been steadily putting on about 10 pounds a month and is just about at his full size now. Other than making him his wet dog food to go with the dry, I have been very careful to not feed him people food, so he's just growing into his size. His back is about 2 inches above my knee now, and his head is at mid-thigh. My only challenge with him is that he thinks he's a lap dog, and it's a little crowded in my chair! You are a good friend to be so concerned about your friend's need to eat healthy. Sorry your brain hurts.

We're having snacks at the meeting and since this is a natural foods co-op, they'll probably all be nice and healthy. I still want to be careful with eating though, so I actually had breakfast this morning and have supper planned. No eating chips, pizza, meatballs, etc. during the Seahawks/49ers game later on -- GO HAWKS!!!! Ok, time to get it in gear. Have a great day.
Closed Thread