Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: ~330/330/160

Height: 5'6

Default 300+, What changes happened to your skin from weightloss?

Hello,

This is my first post here. I have been building myself up to new lifestyle changes - better diet and exercising. I already have very dark skin between my thighs from the rubbing all my life. My neck is dark as well and I have recently noticed discoloration between a roll of fat I have and under my breasts.

I'm wondering if my skin between my thighs will get worst as I move more and become more active? If you had discoloration/hyper-pigmentation issues before you started losing weight, what changes happened to your skin?

Also, how was your skin's elasticity after a significant amount of weight-loss? I way 330 pounds at 20 years old, so I'm optimistic that my skin will rebound gracefully because I'm young but on the other hand I have been obese all my life so I'm worried about how my skin will look.

TIA

Last edited by SkoolNLife; 07-26-2013 at 01:23 AM.
SkoolNLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

The dark skin patches are more than likely not caused by friction, but by insulin resistance. It is called Acanthosis nigricans and does go away with weight-loss (in my case). I had them them in the same places as you, as well as behind the neck and under my arms, but they are no longer there (and I am twice your age and had them for about twenty years). I also had a lot of skin tags that went away with weight loss as well.

As far as skin elasticity, while people will tell you that losing weight slow and lifting weights are the cures for avoiding it, the truth is that age and genetics play a much greater role. No one can really tell you how your own body will respond to weight loss, but you do have age on your side. And of course, it can't hurt to lose weight slowly and begin weight training.

While it is hard devalue appearance, just remember that hanging skin is superficial, while extra weight is harmful. People get really hung up on the ugliness of extra skin, forgetting that the real prize is better health. And, if it really bothers you, there is always plastic surgery.

I have extra skin...under my arms, between my legs, and on my stomach and it is not attractive to me. But, I can also jog, fit into booths, use any seat belt, and am not a freak show at the grocery any longer. These are the things I tell myself when I get down about my new appearance.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #3  

Thanks for your input. What do you mean by skin tags?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I also had Acanthosis nigricans and it has gotten much better. My skin is not rebounding very well but I am 58 and have been obese all my adult life.

It is great that you want to address your weight now. If you are concerned about your skin, start working on your weight. It will recover better now than it will in 10, 15, or 20 years. The younger you are, the better the chances that your skin will recover. You may also save your knees from damage also.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #5  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

My Acanthosis nigricans is still around--and as you can see I've lost nearly 50 pounds but have a way to go--but I've noticed that some patches are very sensitive to my carb control and exercise--I have two slight patches on my right hand that in particular come and go as I stay away from carbs and exercise regularly or slip a bit in terms of insulin control.

As far as skin elasticity goes, your age is a huge advantage. As others have said, use that to motivate you to work on your weight now--don't put it off until you're my age and your skin has lost so much of its elasticity.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I was 281lbs so not above 300. But I seem to be OK at 38 years of age. My skin is pretty elastic so no noticeable loose skin yet. And my skin tags seem to be getting smaller...

I'd love to see those suckers go.

Last edited by IanG; 07-26-2013 at 10:05 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #7  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I've not lost any huge amount of weight (30 lbs with another 100+ to go) - but I have lots of loose skin already, especially on my breasts, inner thighs and lower stomach. I can't imagine what I'll look like at the end of this. I do think that losing weight slowly and strengthen training is important - genetics and age take a huge part in it, but what I've noticed from people who lose weight: those who exercise and tone up look a lot better than the specific ones I've known who just dieted/starved themselves thin in record time.

I do agree with another poster in that the fear of loose skin is not a good reason to avoid losing weight, you'll be healthier and happier even with excess skin - it's soooo much better than excess fat. So put it on the back burner. Sometimes we have to accept we may have some permanent damage to our bodies or in the least damage that will be slow to heal .
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #8  

Thanks for the input!

I would be lying if I said sagging skin hasn't been a deterrent to losing weight for me. I'm now hopeful that it won't be too bad and if it is, I now know there are options available.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #9  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I have been wondering if insurance would cover any part of plastic surgery - a lot of it is cosmetic but the fact is that hanging loose skin could make you prone to infection, painful chaffing, etc - maybe the doctor could claim it needs to be removed for that reason? If you're interested in that at all - the best thing you can do is to start seeing a doctor throughout your weight loss journey. Then you can have concrete proof of your progress, how long you've kept it off etc. A lot of times it's recommended to wait a few years for your skin to snap back as much as possible.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSteen19 View Post
I have been wondering if insurance would cover any part of plastic surgery - a lot of it is cosmetic but the fact is that hanging loose skin could make you prone to infection, painful chaffing, etc - maybe the doctor could claim it needs to be removed for that reason? If you're interested in that at all - the best thing you can do is to start seeing a doctor throughout your weight loss journey. Then you can have concrete proof of your progress, how long you've kept it off etc. A lot of times it's recommended to wait a few years for your skin to snap back as much as possible.
I believe I heard in an interview, or read it somewhere that most physicians claim that the excess skin causes x-y-z health problems and is medically necessary.

I hope this is the case when I finally get down to 200 or lower because I remember freaking out just over my vulture neck when I had lost 75lbs!!! Unfortunately that has filled out again as I gained back 40+ pounds of that (thankfully didn't gain back the full 75lbs!)
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I've lost 110 of about 300 pounds that need to go. I have very loose skin in some places, but I've found that moisturizing has improved the look a bit. I also supplement with coq10 and dry brush because they may help.

At 20, I think you have excellent chances.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #12  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

I notice my stretchmarks are fading but my skin is completely destroyed. Plus instead of a nice stretched out tummy, I have a cellulite filled stomach that is gross to look out. However, on the rest of my body besides my inner thighs and arms, I feel like it is rebounding just fine.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Jane - what are the benefits of taking coq10? Do you know of a place I can look it up online. I am all for finding a good supplement to help my skin in anyway I can. Thanks so much!!!
pjvw34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #14  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Like wishfuiiy, I feel like obesity definitely trashed my skin, in some areas. I've lost 40 lbs. total overall as of today, and hope to lose 60 lbs. more.

Losing weight isn't the exact reverse journey of gaining weight - I kinda feel like I am looking as well as feeling like a deflating bounce house on the way down >< and I still have many more pounds to go. Blech! My lower abdomen is by far the worst situation I have going on. I am in my late 40s, an apple shape, and have had 2 c-sections with the accompanying requisite scars. I have a little "awning" thing going on in my lower abdominal area that isn't "retracting" well, but it is retracting a little. I am wearing shapewear to smooth out this problem area under my clothes.

Unfortunately, I also have the "batwing" situation happening I am not happy at all about this development. I will be totally okay with just a little improvement in this area. My fingers are crossed! I have never worn sleeveless shirts in life because I have big almost muscular arms and I never felt sleeveless shirts/tanks flattered me. So as long as short sleeves cover most of my batwings, I will be okay with being "cleared for takeoff."

I still have moments where I'm very uneasy or outright upset over how my skin is looking, but they are fleeting. As I get smaller, so do my problem areas. They take up less real estate on my body. Overall I look leaps and bounds better than I did 40 lbs. ago, skin and problem areas aside. Nothing will deter me from my pursuit of better health. I try to drink a lot of water to ensure my skin stays hydrated, but that's all I'm currently doing.

I think your age is a great benefit for skin elasticity
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #15  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Coq10 is an antioxidant that protects and helps the skin repair itself. It's no miracle cure but it can't hurt. I've found that my skin tone has evened out drastically since taking it.

The best supplement for your skin is still a healthy and varied diet.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote