Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #1  

Default Hello.. new here.. on phentermine.. 1200 calories and 80 lbs to lose by Jan

Hi!

I am Susy and I thought I would come here and introduce myself.

I weighed in on July 8th at exactly 300lbs (not my heaviest, i was 313 last year) That was the same day I went to see an RE as my husband and I would like to have a baby (I am 37)

All the tests (for me) came back good - we apparently have some time before my eggs have an issue but hubby while having most of his results good does not have good morphology.

IVF is not an option unless I am below a 40BMI. Currently I am a 55BMI. (5'2")

So my instructions are to get down to 220 lbs as quick as I can - hopefully by January. That seems like a tall order for someone who has been trying to lose weight for her entire adult life and the lowest I ever got since the age of 19 was 250lbs (I was 210 at age 18)

Consequently I went to my Dr and she has prescribed me phentermine - they pushed my BP up so now I am only taking a half at a time. I also have a 1200 calorie max on diet. She, unlike all other Drs, has told me not to eat breakfast if i don't want to but to use my calories wisely.

I am, as of July 8th, drinking nothing but water, sticking to my calories, using protein bars as lunch and cooking dinner, and going to the gym for 1hour to 1.5 hours every day and either swimming or doing aquaerobics and then swimming. As of this morning I am 289lbs - still 69lbs to go.

So.. that's me - has anyone managed to lose that kind of weight that quickly without surgery or should i just head on over to the surgery board? That was the REs suggestion but surgery terrifies me and I am not sure i could bring myself to it. this is the most motivated I have ever been to lose weight tho.
susyquk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #2  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

Hugs!
As you can see by my tracker, I don't have the experience you're looking for, but wanted to say HI and give you some support. Sounds like a tall order you have, but now you also have some BIG motivation My husband and I are hoping to get pregnant too and I figured I'd use this waiting period (he had cancer treatment and so we can't try until atleast December) to lose weight. I hope you are able to figure out what's going to work for you and that your dreams will come true!! Here's some willpower dust for good luck Looks like you're on a good start with 11 pounds lost already.
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good luck!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/?/135

Height: 5'8"

Be careful with phentermine. The same pharmaceutical can have different side effects for different people, so with that said...

I have tried phentermine twice. At first, the side effects for me are mild. I notice a slight increase in emotional instability, a little more rapid change in mood and anxiety. I'm able to say, "it's just the med" and keep my wits about me. The longer I take it though, the worse my mental condition deteriorates. The very first time I tried it, I had to stop because I became so inbalanced I became suicidal. Yes, I had lost 30lbs in less than 2 months, but I was going to die had my husband not intervened. I tried one more time several months after just to see if I could handle it, now having a better knowledge of the side effects and a therapist set up to keep me in check during the time I would be taking phentermine, but I didn't even take it for a month because the side effects seemed worse right from the start.

I don't want to scare or discourage you, but only inform. Phentermine is an amphetamine and can affect your personality in ways unexpected so just be wary and watchful. I'd keep a journal on what emotions you experience at different times of the day and review them every so often. Also, asking someone you live with to watch your emotions/moods would be helpful so you have an outside perspective.

Best of luck with your weightloss and motherhood journey

Last edited by Odd Duck; 07-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Odd Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #5  

I have had an excellent result with phentermine but did not start out with as much weight to lose (I began at 228). My doctor also prescribed two additional medications to go along with it and the phentermine was 30 days on and 14 days off. Being that you have more wight to lose you will probably see success faster! keep us posted!
turbotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

I wish you much luck on your journey to motherhood as well.

I was on phentermine for a few months about ten years ago. I lost weight but also saw my blood pressure increase dramatically, so I had to go stop it. It sounds like you are under a doctor's care and I only mention it as something to watch out for.

I'm on the path to motherhood myself, so I know the desire to get healthy for a youngster. Good luck!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

i am on Phentermine now and have been using it for the last two month to help me with my dietary changes of a 80% vegan/raw lifestyle. Keep in mind OP that Phentermine is only effective for a maybe 2/3 months at a time. After which, you will have to stop taking it for a few months before starting it again.

I will say that when I first tried Phentermine it was in capsule form and that gave me SCARY side effects (I think my body was absorbing it all right at once) plus there was no suppression of hunger so I stopped. A few months later my doctor told me to try it again, but this time in pill form. I have no issues now at all. No personality changes, rapid heartbeat, BP increase, etc.

Last edited by Dreamgyrl; 07-19-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #8  

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the welcome. Only on it for 10 days so far but other than bp going up slightly on day 1 (which could also have been stress) I have not had any side affects yet. I also haven't had the extra energy I was told I would have. I have told my husband to monitor my mood and am making substantial life changes outside the tablet.

My pcp has told me I will be on it for 6 month max which, apparently at my weight, is the most they will prescribe before having a break and I also have to be monitored monthly by the dr to make sure I am doing well on it and not having any side affects.

Good luck to each and every one of you on your journeys
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Do you have an HMR clinic near you? They are located in doctor's offices and hospitals. That's how I lost much of my weight and you can easily lose 2-5 lbs a week if you stick to it. It's difficult but it works.

That's what I'd reccommend since you are on such a strict timeline. They have a free orientation you can go to learn about the program and see when they are starting any upcoming classes. You can't just join anytime like Weight Watchers.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by susyquk View Post
Thank you all for the welcome. Only on it for 10 days so far but other than bp going up slightly on day 1 (which could also have been stress) I have not had any side affects yet. I also haven't had the extra energy I was told I would have. I have told my husband to monitor my mood and am making substantial life changes outside the tablet.

My pcp has told me I will be on it for 6 month max which, apparently at my weight, is the most they will prescribe before having a break and I also have to be monitored monthly by the dr to make sure I am doing well on it and not having any side affects.

Good luck to each and every one of you on your journeys
Wishing you the best! I hope everything works out for you.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 350/ticker/164

Height: 5'8

As of this morning I have lost 92 pounds in 5.5 months without surgery and, so far, no formal exercise. I eat very low carb and that does usually translate into pretty low calorie for me. I average around 1100-1200 a day, but there are days I come in under that for sure...not purposely, but I refuse to eat if I'm not hungry. Eliminating sugar/grains/starches has really done amazing things for my hunger cues.
HeidiNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiNicole View Post
As of this morning I have lost 92 pounds in 5.5 months without surgery and, so far, no formal exercise. I eat very low carb and that does usually translate into pretty low calorie for me. I average around 1100-1200 a day, but there are days I come in under that for sure...not purposely, but I refuse to eat if I'm not hungry. Eliminating sugar/grains/starches has really done amazing things for my hunger cues.
I haven't lost as quickly, but for me at a very good pace on a low carb plan. I also end up eating under 1200 cals most days even though I don't have a calorie limit.

OP, I really suggest that you check out Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. And good luck on your baby-making!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #13  

Quote:
That's awesome. My body responds well when I eliminating sugar/grains/starches too.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 350/ticker/164

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgyrl View Post
That's awesome. My body responds well when I eliminating sugar/grains/starches too.
Thanks And just for full disclosure OP, I am battling some hair loss from (I assume) the rapid weight loss, so it's not all sunshine and daisies. I just try to reassure myself that it is in all likelihood temporary and will subside in the next few weeks.
HeidiNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #15  

Quote:
Thanks And just for full disclosure OP, I am battling some hair loss from (I assume) the rapid weight loss, so it's not all sunshine and daisies. I just try to reassure myself that it is in all likelihood temporary and will subside in the next few weeks.
Wow 93 lbs is amazing. I can't even imagine losing that much that quickly. So far I have lost 9lbs in 14 days but this morning I had put on 1.5lbs and I didn't eat 1100 calories yesterday... Are you taking the 39.5mg? Any issue with heart rate/bp? At the moment I am only taking 20mg as my bp elevated on full dose