Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Question Temptation

Good afternoon,

This weekend I found myself ill-prepared and away from home for a 5 day stint at a convention. I had no idea what to expect as this was the first convention I'd ever gone to - of any kind. I don't see myself in a kind light, so I shy away from any large public groupings. I quickly found that there were no healthy alternatives for food or drink. It was rather disheartening, I must say; in a way.

The other thing I realized is that there were quite a number of other large people there which helped ease my discomfort and feeling out of place. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly, despite how anyone looked. There were no jeering looks or sneers. It was a wonderful experience (aside from the lack of healthier food, lol).

I found myself slipping a little bit back into bad habits during this time because of everyone's friendly demeanor. It was a "you are as you are" kind of thing and no one cared about anything other than having a great time. Which meant, during the day, I wound up taking the group mentality of "when in Rome..." but hating myself each night when I cloistered myself away in my hotel room; far far from temptation.

I can motivate myself on disapproval and disdain and any negativeness. I use it to propel my success; I see it as the tool it is to drive me further and harder and not give up. I want to see the look on their face when I finally do reach my goal. It will be my greatest reward. "Take that, nay-sayers!" lol. Anyway.

When I got back home, I sat and thought about everything I'd done and consumed. Admittedly, it could have been much worse. I didn't keep track of everything I'd consumed as I decided I knew the generality of what I should/shouldn't do or have. In general, I stuck to my guns. I did find myself enjoying a few things I hadn't in several years. Meh, balances itself out, I suppose. Now that I'm home, I have returned to what I have come to enjoy (and resumed counting!).

I think my biggest fall into temptation was tempura cheesecake with a side of tempura icecream (I hadn't had either in 11 years!) - now, this was 1 order each and split between 3 people. It wasn't a lot per person, which makes it *slightly* better. and I had a few sodas.

What would you consider to be your biggest temptation and hard to deny yourself?

~Jessie

Last edited by jessien; 05-28-2013 at 03:37 PM.
jessien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I love getting cheesecake when I go out to eat...it's one of my weaknesses

At home, it's chocolate. If there is anything with chocolate in it in the house, I will snack on it throughout the day. Ice cream, cookies, granola bars, candy, anything. Luckily we don't have too much in the house right now, but it is harder for me to control when it is because I am a college student who is back home for the summer, living with my parents. They know I am trying to eat healthier, but I don't want to stop them from having their little indulgences, either. It could be worse, but it's SO hard to resist when it's there!
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #3  

Howdy Gordongirl,

Have you ever tried Tempura Cheesecake? It is temptation embodied in a dessert. lol. Absolutely deliciously wonderful and amazing. lol. I normally don't order sweets when I'm out and about. I can fight it off even if there's just a lil whisper of that voice in the back of my head saying "You know it's delicious.. go ahead! Just a lil piece..!" but this weekend, it overwhelmed me and I gave in. lol.

I really don't have cravings at home, oddly enough. I am at a loss on something to suggest that might help you out with yours D-: I'm sorry.

~Jessie
Old 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #4  

No, I've never tried it! It sounds really good though. I have to say though, fried foods don't hold as much of a temptation for me anymore, but I do love some sweet potato fries or chicken fingers every now and then though.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #5  

Howdy Gordongirl,

The desserts were the first real fried foods I've had in over 6 months. I've been avoiding them completely. I was in an upscale Japanese restaurant and sushi house for a business meeting, which was the kick off for my 5-day weekend away.

..oh, drat. I had to answer the phone and my train of thought derailed. There were no survivors! lol. When I remember what I was going to say, I'll be sure to add it.

~Jessie
Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #6  
Moving one day at a time

S/C/G: 450/399/160

Well, to be honest, temptation is one of my worst problems right now, on top of traveling so much. I go out of town nearly every weekend and often get faced with the "well, I don't have time to make it at home, so we will just stop at ____ (fast food place)". My biggest temptation is Wendy's .... and ice cream. I went so long without fast food, but lately with how much we're going out of town it seems like I either eat it or I starve. I think from now on I should stash non perishable on the road snacks in my car
wheezypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #7  

I am actually starting my summer job today at Wendy's. It's SO hard to resist their chicken nuggets (they're so crispy and delicious) when I'm just standing there next to them the whole day. By the time my shift is over I want them so badly, and I usually end up ordering some. Hopefully today I'll be able to resist!

Last edited by GordonGirl16; 05-29-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #8  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Chocolate mousse is the thing I have the most trouble saying no to. Luckily I am not eating out much these days.

It sounds like you handled the situation pretty well. Sometimes we just need to chalk things up to learning experiences for next time. Getting overly stressed about it after the fact isn't very helpful.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote