Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Red face Brand spankin new.

Greetings & Salutations,

I really have no idea what to say or where to go. I suppose one could say that I am lost, which would be a huge understatement (if ever there were one).

A small introduction might help, I suppose. I'm Jessie. Female. I'm 30, about to turn 31 in (roughly) 3 weeks. I just moved to Andover, Minnesota from Jacksonville, Florida; it such a huge change. I'm not sure what to do with myself most days. The temperature and area change has my sinuses up in arms and I've managed to catch a cold.. oh, the joys of cold weather

My journey started nearly 2 1/2 years ago. It wasn't with a diet or exercise but to get myself off the medications my doctor was pumping into me for various treatments and ailments. As I was going through the process of learning to live without that medication, I met a man. This man made me believe that I could do anything I set my mind to (something I used to believe but stopped somewhere, somehow). He made me see myself differently and ever since then, I've been trying my hardest to make outward self match the potential I see inside of myself. It's not an easy task.

Sometimes, I feel more lost and alone and afraid than I know what to do with. I have this single-minded determination that won't let me go back to the way I was because he made me feel like I was worth more and like I deserve more than that.

A year ago, I made drastic changes to what I ate and drank. 8 months ago, I started doing what my doctors told me I couldn't do (ie: lift more than 5lbs, sweep/mop floors, use a vacuum, standing for more than 5 mins, doing stretches). Since I moved here, I'm doing what I was told wouldn't be possible (going for 25-30min walks) - granted, I wanted to do them every day but this dang cold ...! As soon as I'm over it, the daily walks will begin!

When I started my journey, I was at 427 lbs. I am now below 354 lbs; it's been awhile since I was weighed. I'm scared to do it religiously, afraid it might deter me from what I want / need to do. I know, it's probably cowardly... but we all have that monkey on our backs.

I would appreciate any and all help, advice, admonishments, anecdotes, or whatever you can give me. I will appreciate all of it.

Thank you for your time,
Jessie
jessien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #2  

Welcome jessien!!

I joined here in September after beginning my new way of eating in July. 3FC is the best thing that ever happened to me! I couldn't have been as successful as I have been without the amazing men and women on this site.

There are so many threads on here it can be a bit overwhelming at first. But no fear! You'll find a few to settle in and make some friends. Also, start threads for anything we can help you with.

Have you chosen an eating plan yet?

I hope to see more posts from you. You are in the right place, I wish you lots of luck!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #3  

Howdy Elvis,

I found "3 Fat Chicks" by googling different advice I'd been given by a friend. We just started talking about health stuff and I told him about what I'd been doing and the difference a year has made and he's signed on with me to help make sure I succeed.

Everyone here seems so very nice and positive. It's something I do need, to be quite honest.

Honestly, I don't have an "eating plan" per se. A year ago, as I mentioned, I changed how I ate. It's no longer a diet for me but a way of life. I cut out all salt (that I can manage). I weened myself off of soda (or pop!). I treat sugar like I do salt - nothing more than what is already naturally in food. I don't eat fried stuff anymore. No junk food in almost 10 months. I bake / broil / grill meats. I steam / boil my veggies; or have them nice and raw!

I eat a lot of "thermogenic foods" (a term I just learned yesterday, as a matter of fact!).

Until 3 days ago, I wasn't keeping track of what I ate (even though I had an about ~ idea of how much it was).

Thank you so much for the welcome :-) I hope to get to know you!

Jessie
Old 05-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #4  

You are doing awesome and in all my excited-ness writing above I forgot to say congratulations on your weightloss so far!!!

Your food changes are amazing and I pretty much did the same thing, I am not good with portions of "bad" food so I eliminated them all together and haven't really missed them much.

I use myfitnesspal.com to track my food and calories, I love it. It can be done on your phone or online so it's real convenient.

Hang around here, I'm on all the time when I'm not exercising my tail off. I love everyone here, I can't stay away!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #5  

Gaah. After reading the reply, I realize that it seems like I'm terribly disorganized. My brain isn't functioning properly as this is waaay late into my "night time"; I should have been in bed almost 3 hours ago. lol.

I'm on an really awkward schedule.. but to give you an idea of my intake, it's something like this..

5.14.13 : Meal Count [total] : 558 Cal / 22.3g Fat / 46 Carb / 36.37g Protein
5.15.13 : Meal Count [total] : 891 Cal / 49.30 Fat / 53 Carb / 49.22g Protein
Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #6  

Howdy Elvis,

Thank you!

I don't have a lot of nice things to say about myself, but self-control is the one thing I pride myself on. I can do a little bit of this or that. I can watch people eat whatever they want and not crave it. I can even cook those bad things and not crave it; no tasting it, either!

My mind is set on changing the way I look and nothing can / will deter me. Which is why I just went ahead and gave up the bad food. It's one less thing that will hold me back. Giving up soda (or pop!) was actually the hardest because of my caffeine addiction.. I eventually weened myself off of it, thanks to insight a friend gave me (she told me "Jessie, girl, STOP drinking your calories!").

I'll have to check that site out after I wake up. I use a notepad and pen to write down what I eat and a calculator to add it all up. lol. Old school!

Exercising is something I'm super excited to get into, to be honest. I didn't live in a safe neighborhood in Jacksonville, so neighborhood walks were out. Everything else was just too far to manage with other obstacles in my way. Now I live in a small rural town.. and it's extremely quiet. I love it!

I hope you're having a great day!
Jessie

p/s: if I stop replying, it's because I finally went to bed.. just waiting on people to get home so I can buy their dinner. They're getting pizza from a local place, I'm just getting a salad! ..they haven't decided if I'm bird or rabbit yet. I just hope I don't end up as their dinner one day! >.<
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 331/320/250

Height: 5ft 5ins

Hi Jessien,

I just want to start by saying congratulations for all the weight you have already lost. What a huge achievement that is!!
Secondly a big welcome to 3fc, if you're anything like me you will be on here every day looking at all the goal pictures and reading the amazing stories. It is so inspiring here and as already helped me so much. I have been on my journey now for 4 weeks (4 weeks tomorrow). You have come so far already, your plan sounds very similar to my own. I don't keep a daily log of my calories but i know how many i should have and pretty much just eat healthily. I have cut out all the junk and maybe later down the line i will start to keep a log of my calories, but for now i'm ok with what i am doing. What as really helped me though is keeping a journal and a weekly menu. I find planning my meals in advance for the week is so much easier and you have less chance of making bad choices. I want to wish you luck on your journey Jessie and you can so do this, because you already have lost so so much weight. I hope to see you on the boards hon.

Sam xxx
BuffyInSunnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #8  

Howdy Sam,

I've been poking around here and there. I'm not quite sure where to start, it's all a bit to take in but I will eventually get there! I'm glad I did sign up, it seems to be the right place to be rather than "an" place to be.

I just recently started keeping a daily food log, at the behest of my friend Mick. He is really into health and exercise, so I picked his brain. He said it'd be a good way of tracking where I am on a day to day basis. Although, I'm not entirely sure that it was a good idea because now I'm worried that I'm not actually eating enough. >.< Eh, well, we shall see!

I would like to add though; I am *not* starving myself. I am merely just not hungry. I eat when I'm hungry or if I feel too much time has passed from the last time I ate. If I eat more than what I do, I get sick or feel beyond horrible. My hope is that when I become more physically active, it will make me more (?) hungry; or at least be able to consume ~1k calories.

I thought about planning menus but it's just me in the house that eats this way. I'm not too big on left overs, either. I think it's something from childhood, lol. Normally, I just fall into a salad for dinner with a piece of grilled chicken.

I have been reading your posts, a lil bit. It's given me quite a bit to think about and when my thoughts are in order, I plan on posting a response to some of the stuff I've seen floating about here. Just gotta warm my toes in this water I'm now wading in, so to speak.

Thank you for the well wishes! It means a lot to me. I have come far but I still have so much further to go. Sometimes it feels like I won't ever get there.. but my feet are moving forward regardless, because I've come too far to go back now or give up.

I wish you the best in your journey. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help!

Jessie
Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 331/320/250

Height: 5ft 5ins

Hi Jessie,

It does take a while to work your way around here and i am not even half through this forum yet lol. But i chose to start here in the 300 club because i thought it was the best place for me seeing as i was over 300 pounds lol. I also go into the UK chicks part sometimes and the calorie counters and the depression section. But i mainly come here and the goals section is my favourite. You will eventually settle on your favourite sections too.

I have to say worrying i was not getting enough calories was bothering me for a bit but i decided to stop. Mainly because i am at the beginning of my journey and also because i think we can expect too much of ourselves sometimes. Just changing our eating habits is such a huge step! I aim to take in around 1700 calories daily, if i plateau i can then reduce the calories by 100 at a time. We are all different though and i know other people start at different calorie amounts. But that seems right for me for now.

You're more than welcome for the wishes hon, we are all in the same boat and i know how difficult it is. But i really think you have done amazing and you should give yourself a lot more credit for it. And you WILL do it because you have already proved to yourself that you can do it. Thank you also for the well wishes See you on the boards hon.

Hugs Sam xxx
BuffyInSunnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #10  

Howdy Sam,

It's massive! It's great to see though, a wonderful support community. I never really imagined that I'd be able to find something like this. I was afraid I was terribly alone.. I'm so glad that I'm not!

I think it is on a person-to-person basis for what a good caloric intake should be. I don't know what mine is, I just eat til I'm not hungry. It's other people who think I'm not eating enough, lol. Like I said, with the commencing of exercise.. we shall see!

Thank you! I have no good self image. It was destroyed years and years ago.. I'm hoping that as I lose more weight, it'll build up.

I know that I sometimes look in the mirror and think, "Wow, I kinda have a cute face!" That's a huge improvement for me, considering how I feel about myself on a normal day-to-day basis.

But.. here is to *all* of us! :-D
Jessie

Last edited by jessien; 05-16-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Welcome Jessien!

You are a real inspiration!

Florida to Minnesota is a big change. Don't let the cold stop you from exercising or you'll only exercise a few months out of the year! The cold can be a challenge but not an excuse. Do you exercise to any DVDs?

I also felt very alone and am so happy to have found this group.

I'm glad you look in the mirror and can see your cute face because we are getting a glimpse of your heart and it looks very pretty!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #12  

Howdy Ubee,

Thank you for the welcome <3

Yes, it's a huge change! I moved to be with the man I met online and fell in-love with.

The cold doesn't deter me! I enjoy it! However, it gave me a cold.. lol. I tried going for a walk mid-sickness and ended up like a zombie! I *am* starting my daily walks tonight (my morning). I am feeling better and it's warming up. I am so excited!!!!!

I'm glad to have met you! :-D I hope to get to know you better.

*blushes* thank you, so very very much! that made my day!

Jessie

Last edited by jessien; 05-16-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/308/150

Height: 5'8

Wow! Congrats on your weight-loss so far! I love proving doctors wrong! :wink:
Soon2BHealthyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #14  

Howdy Soon2be,

Oh, me too! I didn't think I was going to be able to prove them wrong. Coming off all the medication my doctor had me on was a journey in and of itself. It took me a long while to be "okay".

I will say the most surprising part was that I managed my pain by changing what I ate. I didn't realize until that moment how much that what I put into my body really did effect my quality of living.

Some doctors need a good swift boot to the hind quarters!

Jessie