Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Default When noticed WL?

Being quite overweight I find people notice less when I lose. Last time I lost a significant amount of weight I did not get anyone noticing until the 50 pound mark. This time around my DH noticed about 20 down and my sis at 30 down. Others not.

I am wondering when people noticed your WL?
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

My current weight loss journey I started at 255. My husband noticed at about 240 = so 15 pounds, but before that I was 275, then 265, then 255.... going down very slowly in 10 pound increments. No one noticed those 20 pounds and I wore the same sized clothes - from a very tight 20 to a loose 20.

Now, I can see (and my spouse can see) 10 pounds up or down. It's because there's more bone structure showing instead of just layers of fat.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #3  

In the beginning it was hard as I was so big to begin with, it probably took a good 40lbs for people to notice something was different. Plus I think people were sensitive not to say anything. Once I hit 50lbs and more gone, a lot more people starting saying things (and I didn't want the attention!). Now everywhere we go someone says something and I just play it off like I don't know what they are talking about. But seeing I am down over 100 and my wardrobe fits better now, I really can't not acknowledge it.

I do remember reading (I think on 3FC) that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice the weightloss, 8 weeks for people you know, and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice. Also, people sometimes notice things different about you but don't know it's weightloss. Usually it's questions about your hair being different!

Good luck with your weightloss, all your hard work will pay off soon!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #4  
the muse of memory

Quote:
Usually it's questions about your hair being different!
This is funny. I lost the first 40ish pounds fairly slowly over the course of time, and sometimes lost and regained parts of it. So last April (2012) I was 330ish. I know that some co-workers noticed and commented on my loss when I was between 300 and 310. So 20ish pounds?

This Thanksgiving I spent with extended family. Some of them I last saw while traveling. I had been 320 pounds at the time, and had lost down to 265ish. So it was alot of weight! And they happily noticed.

But one of my aunts asked me if I had done something different with my hair! My hair has been the same more or less for years, and I kinda wish I'd said: no, but I lost sixty pounds! I think it's just that my face was so much more defined that she was thinking hair, and we don't see each other that regularly.

Last edited by mnemosyne; 03-12-2013 at 10:34 AM.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I think sometimes people mention your hair or your outfit instead of weight because they think it's not polite to give unsolicited comments on weight.

No one has mentioned my current loss yet, but I'm wearing the same clothes - I can feel that they are looser, but its only slightly noticeable to me even. And, I'm sure people don't spend as much time scrutinizing me as I sometimes like to think they do,
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckypear View Post
Being quite overweight I find people notice less when I lose.
The same is true for me. I've lost over 65 lbs now and no one has noticed or said anything. I don't mind though, because it just makes me feel embarrassed when people mention weight loss. I never know what to say!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #7  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedbluejeans View Post
I think sometimes people mention your hair or your outfit instead of weight because they think it's not polite to give unsolicited comments on weight.

No one has mentioned my current loss yet, but I'm wearing the same clothes - I can feel that they are looser, but its only slightly noticeable to me even. And, I'm sure people don't spend as much time scrutinizing me as I sometimes like to think they do,

This is exactly my experience. I've started to wear a few tops that were too snug before and fit now, but mostly it's all the same clothes although certainly a little bit looser than they were before. I'm a little over 10% now (257 to 229), so I'm thinking that I might start getting comments, that is right around the timeframe that some people started to say something the last time. But it was still just a very few people, and it definitely started off with generic compliments about my hair or clothes rather than a specific comment re: weight loss. Once I had lost about 50 lbs (263 into low 2-teens), then a lot more people starting specifically mentioning weight.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #8  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I'm down about 20 pounds (and two pant sizes) and I've gotten a few comments but not many. But I'm getting a lot of Those Looks - you know, when people stare at you for awhile and you know they're thinking, "I think she's lost weight but I'm not positive so I guess I won't say anything."
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #9  

Thanks for all te responses. I am happy DH noticed my WL. It is interesting how it varies from person to person. I am also short, 5'4" and pear shaped. I will keep at it.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #10  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

I am 32 pounds in and noone at work has noticed, but my husband noticed. The bigger you are the longer it takes..
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/205.6/135

Height: 5'6"

A few friends have just now started noticing, at 25 lbs and one pants size down, but the majority of my friends, family and acquaintances haven't commented yet. I suspect that more people will take notice in another five or ten pounds - fifteen more at the latest (hopefully). But I figure the important thing is that I can see a difference in myself!
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga View Post
A few friends have just now started noticing, at 25 lbs and one pants size down, but the majority of my friends, family and acquaintances haven't commented yet. I suspect that more people will take notice in another five or ten pounds - fifteen more at the latest (hopefully). But I figure the important thing is that I can see a difference in myself!
Well said.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #13  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I was very vocal about my losses this time around (so that I HAD to follow through) so I got a lot of total BS from my friends ("Oh you look so skinny!" When I'd gone from 435 to 430 - yeah right). But around 60 pounds, when I bought some tighter shirts and my face thinned out some (and if you look at my profile pic you can see how fat it was to begin with), people started to notice, although it's difficult because in terms of my body I seem to just be shrinking overall, and my shape isn't changing much.

Mostly now though it's people picking up on the fact I can't keep my pants or my bra straps up.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Mostly now though it's people picking up on the fact I can't keep my pants ...up.
Ha ha. I spend most of my working day walking around with one hand down the back of my pants pulling them up! Time for a new belt.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Ha ha. I spend most of my working day walking around with one hand down the back of my pants pulling them up! Time for a new belt.
Lol I am having to wear a belt, first for a long time.