Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #16  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I love the honesty in the posts on 3FC, the "taboo" things I could never talk about in person with anyone. The pants I have on today were one of my favorites the last time I lost weight, they are 1x workout pants from Target. And I just ironed in 2 patches (1 on each leg) to cover up the holes you are talking about. I would die if anyone knew I essentially burned them out but what can I do? It is what it is. And I LOVE these pants, esp. since they are getting a bit too big now.

You look awesome in yesterday's picture!!! I saw those tops at Old Navy over the weekend and I was petrified to buy stripes to put on this body. You make me want to go back and get it now. Seriously, you look so cute. I have been shopping in "regular" stores too, such as the XLs in Macy's. I feel like I am an intruder and that people are looking at me like I don't belong. But then I try on things and they fit!! Granted, I can't wear every brand yet but most of them I can! I bought a petite XL sweater at Dress Barn the other day (I didn't want the regular length as it would have been at my knees), I smiled the whole way home. It's so humbling to me every single day.

Thank you for posting that message, it's people like you that keep me focused and on track every single day.
That same friend I went shopping for jeans with often said that plus size clothes manufacturers needed to use thicker fabric and stitching in the insides of the thighs. I'm lucky that hasn't been an issue for me with the last, oh . . . 70 pounds or so; my legs are scrawny in comparison to my middle. But I've got the whole apple/oval-shaped body going on. Back when I realized I couldn't find any jeans big enough to fit me, they'd actually fit my legs and butt just fine, I just couldn't fasten them in the waist. It's become less of an issue since the last 20 pounds or so, but my stomach remains disproportionately larger than the rest of me and I imagine it will be for a long time to come.

Like you, I've got a pair of pants (jeans in particular) that may need slight repair, but instead of getting burned/holey in the inner thighs I think they're just worn out all over. They're still wearable, but they're slightly too big and don't like to stay up properly (and a belt never helps with my particular body shape). But I was very proud to have bought them this past summer, even if they were super-tight at the time. They were the first 20's I'd bought in ten years! They're still favorites and I sort of hate to retire them.

Thanks about the outfit! I normally wouldn't have even attempted horizontal stripes, but these were thin and I fell in love with the pink and charcoal. I was happy that the XL fit me but felt more comfortable with the more relaxed way the 2X fit (it seems I go either way now depending on the cut and the brand). And the pants were an XL, which really made my day. Exactly one year ago I was 50 pounds heavier and was struggling with getting 3X tops to fit, and my size 24 jeans were too tight to sit down in!

Anyway, you should go back and try it on, just to see how you feel in it (I also liked the blue and black stripes!), it's cute and super comfy! I mainly picked it up because I want something long-sleeved, yet relatively light to wear for early mornings, but it certainly didn't hurt knowing that I can finally shop at Old Navy all these years later.

I totally get feeling like an intruder in those stores! I've spent most of my life knowing like a fat outsider (mall shopping was especially a nightmare experience as a teen) and it's really hard to break that mentality and drop the emotional baggage. I guess like everything else with our changing lifestyles, it's just something we have to adapt to. And you just reminded me . . . I still have to check out Dress Barn one of these days.

Congrats on your losses so far, keep up the great work! I love how we have similar stats.

Last edited by Elladorine; 03-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 396/372/125

Height: 5'4

I can definitely relate. Catherines was a life saver for me at my last job in terms of finding clothes I could wear to work. Prior to finding them, I had to settle for what I could fit into at Wal-mart or target, which wasn't much. I had this awful job that I hated and one of their favorite things to do when they were in a pissy mood about something was call people in to the office and write them up because they didn't like their hair style or clothes, so I was constantly living in fear of that conversation because I couldn't find clothes that fit the dress code in my size anywhere.

After I got promote, they finally called me and gave me the "Now that you're a 'professional' you have to dress better talk and I ended up quitting. Fortunately, I got a much better paying job and was able to afford to shop at stores like Catherines that sell bigger sizes and the dress code was more casual, so I didn't have to try and find business suits and such.

I work from home now, so I wear men's basketball shorts and a t-shirt most of the time, but I definitely look forward to being able to shop in "normal" stores again. We'll get there!
200poundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

I know how you all feel! I have a job interview Friday morning. I'm shopping for something new and hopefully closer to home to shorten my commutes during the week. I'm headed to Avenue, one of my favorite places. I'm lucky in that my closet is full of things I hate! I've been heavy for so many years, I have an extensive collection of plus-sized clothing. The black cardingan I'm wearing today I've had since '01. I love Cato's and Avenue. Lane Bryant is ok if I shop the clearance. I hate paying full price for anything, and the lady at Avenue said most of their stuff today is buy 1 get one 1/2 off, as well as racks of stuff they just moved to clearance. That's my kind of sale!!!

I, too, am ready, though, for normal sized clothing. I'd give my right arm to be a size 14 again like I was in high school! I've been in this place +/- 60 pounds for close to 15 years. I'm ready to skinny up. I've been at it for months and not seeing much progress, but I promised myself I will not give in this time and stop trying. So I'm there with you!! Tired and ready to change.
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #19  

Good luck at your interview, KerriLeah!!

For anyone that might be interested, Lane Bryant is having an online sale today for $50 off $100 with the code SPRINGSAVELB. I think they will ship free to any of their stores if you pick it up there. This is usually the only way I can afford to shop there and I pick it up myself! I refuse to pay shipping but they closed my local Fashion Bug (they ship to their sister stores too).
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #20  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Thanks for that Elvis! I'm so glad they ship to Canada. I'm going to Penningtons (the Canadian equivalent) next Friday, but it looks like I can get a few things cheaper here even with shipping.

This is essential because my pants fell down while I was making lunch today, so I may have FINALLY lost something off my waist!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #21  

Thanks Elvis! I'm looking forward to a new opportunity in the work force. I've been a nurse for 15 years, so when you're tired, you're tired! So shopping for new job is in order, for sure. Doesn't mean I'll find something better-- just different. And that's what I need right now.

Thanks for the coupon code at LB, too! That's a great one! Avenue's website has $25 off $100 for shopping online. I found a $10 off $50 that I printed off to run over there on my lunch break. I always find something there, but how much I spend is a different story!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Thanks for that Elvis! I'm so glad they ship to Canada. I'm going to Penningtons (the Canadian equivalent) next Friday, but it looks like I can get a few things cheaper here even with shipping.

This is essential because my pants fell down while I was making lunch today, so I may have FINALLY lost something off my waist!
Awesome!!! 50% off is totally worth it. I wish I could predict my size for May so I could pick up a couple of pairs of capris but I don't want to chance it yet. They have some really pretty dresses, shoes, everything I looked at I wanted! Awesome too about you losing your pants!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriLeah View Post
Thanks Elvis! I'm looking forward to a new opportunity in the work force. I've been a nurse for 15 years, so when you're tired, you're tired! So shopping for new job is in order, for sure. Doesn't mean I'll find something better-- just different. And that's what I need right now.

Thanks for the coupon code at LB, too! That's a great one! Avenue's website has $25 off $100 for shopping online. I found a $10 off $50 that I printed off to run over there on my lunch break. I always find something there, but how much I spend is a different story!
I hear you, Kerri! My sister is a nurse and she works her butt off every single day. There is no such thing as an easy day in the office when you are a nurse! Good luck shopping, hope you find something to make you feel great! And of course, coupons always help too!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #24  

Elvis-- I love my field! Can't beat health care. Always a job to be had, that's for sure.

Jane-- I may have to check out that coupon! But I just spent too much money! I needed some "me" stuff though! It was due.

Ok, my lunch break shop wasn't disappointing. I didn't find anything on clearance I cared for, unfortunately. But the BOGO free sale was worthy! Got a cute cardigan and shirt for underneath in peach. Lots of pretty bracelets and a couple necklaces. Not bad! Was very disappointed that there are no spring-flavored underthings there! All the bras and unders were black, white or tan! Which, I always need the basics, but I want some polka dots and flowers!! They said they are changing their line of clothing.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #25  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Awesome sale!!!!!!!! I can never afford stuff at LB. I bought some bras there because I was in a pinch, at least it was BOGO free. But seriously, it was BOGO swimsuits and I still paid $120. I almost fainted, but I was out of town and needed a swimsuit pronto - and you can't find a siwmsuit to fit this bod in just any regular store.

Ellad & others - I never got to the point of those elastic waist jeans (though I have peeked at them) but I did have some hideous saggy butt knit elastic waist "dress pants" from K-Mart that I practically lived off of for a year in college. I still have 1 brown pair (the other black pant I threw out, it had bleach stains and the fact I still had it because I had nothing else to wear disgusts me) and I'm saving it for my final goal weight photo. I CAN'T BELIEVE I WORE THEM IN PUBLIC. They are the least flattering pair of pants I could ever possibly imagine. I remember both of them being dirty and not having anything to wear, and my husband/fiancee then saying - really those are the only pair of pants you have? Right now, I have 1 pair of dress pants, 1 black denim jean from torrid (which due to thigh rubbage, is now turing white and thinning out), and about four 3X danskin bootcut pants from wal mart which are my bread and butter off the clock . I have only ONE pair of scrub pants left (the only one in the store I could find that fit, sad) and the inner thighs are definitely getting bumpy and thin. My other pair ripped on the side seam. It's SOOO annoying!! I totally feel though in your before photo the coat thing - I have not wore a decent winter jacket in YEARS that zips up.... I just pretend I'm not cold. I'm so nonchalant about it. Hahahaha. One of my first purchases when I get down into the low 200's is going to be a cute winter jacket. The last 3 winters I have suffered. Anyways your after photo looks AMAZING!!! You really have a nice waist and a very beautiful face.

I absolutely love fashion and to clothes shop but in the last several years I have been too depressed to. I could spend a whole Saturday trying on clothes and raiding clearance racks if I wasn't 140 lbs overweight. I find cute outfits in stores like JC Penny and dress up a skinner self in my head with them all the time. So, like you, I just pretend that I'm not into appearances or that I don't care what I look like and that I hate to shop for clothes. I'm currently saving up for my goal weight wardrobe (which I'm guessing will be 185 and a size 8/10).

So thanks for your support!! All these kind words and sharing of empathy and stories is so nice. I can get away with being frumpy for now, as long as I can fit into scrubs I can come home to "yoga clothes", but in a few years I'd like to get promoted or quit my current job for a better one and I'm going to start having to wear nice clothes whether it's a daily thing or just to a job interview. I don't want to have to shop for a business suit or business casual clothes at a size 28/30. I just can't put myself through that kind of anguish.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #26  

Height: 5'6

Hi! I feel the same way. Not even Lane Bryant carries jeans my size anymore. I went to Avenue and I am in a size 26 there. They run high. I have lost 23 pounds so far in a month and I am super happy with that but my jeans are not falling off yet so it makes me wonder when I will move down a size. The biggest difference I notice is my t shirts fit so much better, so I am losing in the upper belly area.

I carry most my weight in my waist and butt area. I can only wear mens sizes at this point and things fit around the upper body but not at the waist because men are straight up and down...so it is like super hard to buy clothes.

I guess the key is just to keep losing...eventually we will be able to shop in normal stores again!
crazycatlady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
THIS!! Oh how I share your feelings! In my city there is ONE store that I can shop at. Everything is expensive. 90 bucks for jeans. 50 bucks for a shirt. It is un freaking real. I would love to be fashionable but it is so damn expensive I just can't spend that kind of money often. I just want to shop at a regular store. Old Navy. I can afford that stuff, but I don't fit in it (yet!!!!!!!!) I know I have a long time until I'll be shopping at Old Navy, but between now and then it's going to be a lot of sale shopping and trying to make every piece of clothing wearable for as long as possible.

Ugh.
I don't know what I would do without old navy....90% of my wardrobe right now is Old Navy Mens XXL t shirts. Thankfully I am a student right now taking a break from work so I can pull that off...and I have always been a t shirt and jeans kind of girl.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSteen19 View Post
I've never shopped at macy's before! We don't have too many of those in the midwest where I live I suppose. It's good you can find things that will work for you

AWWW thanks that totally made my morning wow.

I'd love to be able to shop at a place like Old Navy - they have such great deals on such cute clothes. I would probably come dancing out of the dressing room if that happened to me. I dread the day if we ever move, because I have a TON of clothes in a million sizes and I refuse to get rid of anything, because if it's too small I want to see how it looks on me when it fits, and as of now... nothing is too big for me to pitch. LOL.

Wow an XS? I don't know if I'll ever be an XS I am sort of tall. LOL. That's incredble though. I'm fortunate I work in a job where I can wear my 3x scrub pants every day and those are reasonably easy to find online. But I can also wear business casual, and since I'd rather like to advance at my hospital, I sometimes would like to dress a bit nicer to imply that I'm management material in the years to come. And yes it is impossible to find professional clothes, I couldn't even find a blazer that fit for a job interview. I don't want to have to stress out over these things in the years to come.

I completely agree. Around here, there's Lane Bryant. $$$$$$$$$$$$. I've spent a small fortune there over the years. I am not a rich person. I can't spend $60 on a blouse that I'm hoping will be a tent in 6 months anyways. I don't have to wear nice clothes that often anyhow. I can't wait to get to my goal weight and goal size, it'll be nice to buy clothes that I'm not going to have to worry about being a waste of money.
I feel like LB has some weird clothes lately..at least in my store they do...I never go in there and see anything I really love. Makes it tough to be big when you hate all the clothes in the only stores you can shop at!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

I do feel plus sized clothing has come a long way at least in Canada. As a teen "Penningtons" was my only place to shop and they had sweatshirts with cats or daisies and stretch pants. I used to go to Buffalo and be amazed at the variety and cheaper prices, even with exchange and Buffalo would match the Canadian dollar. This was in the 80's when our dollars were further apart in value. I was amazed that Old Navy had plissé sized and later I loved Torrid. I got great bras at lane Bryant but that was 12 years ago. Now I find it easier to shop here but Additionelle has nicer, more youthful, clothing then Penningtons here. But I can fit more easily into penningtons stuff, they size bigger and have bigger sizes. Penningtons also has more choice then they once did. But again both are expensive compared to places people sized 16 and under can shop.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #30  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Jollygreen.... I just looked at your stats. Can I come stand next to you? We're pretty nearly twins?

LB is expensive. You in the US are so lucky that you have a few more options. Penningtons/Additionelle is pretty much the name of the game up here, and it runs at a high price. They have good sales occasionally, but it's nothing for me to spend 600 bucks and come out of there with 4 things.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote