Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/248/158

Height: 5'7"

Default This week's NSV

I had a great NSV today- my schedule for Wednesday's has changed, and I work in the morning and part of the afternoon, and have time to come home for a late lunch/early dinner, before heading back to work for a few hours. Last year when I had this schedule, I would be tempted to get fast food as I headed home, and then grab some more when I headed home after 9pm.

Today I made it home at 9.15 and realised that getting fast food had never even crossed my mind! And I pass all of those sort of places on my drive home!

I feel like I've made a huge breakthrough- training my brain to not automatically want fast food. I was really hungry when I came home the first time, as I hadn't had a chance to eat anything since breakfast, and it didn't even cross my mind. It's a real boost and I feel even more confident now.

Do any of you have a great NSV so far this week?
FerrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #2  
the muse of memory

THAT is such an important NSV. Fast food was really one of my big problems, and I have some of the same issues. I had to work hard at first to PLAN PLAN PLAN and force myself away from those oh-so-convenient places, but now, like you, I generally skip them without thought.

Though I do have a couple of "fast-food" meals planned in my head if there is need, I just don't think of it the way I used to think of it.

Congrats! That is such a victory, a totally essential one.

Hmmm. This morning I did my entire walk at the pace that is my usual 'fast' pace these days, instead of alternating 5 minutes fast and 5 minutes slower (slow is only .2 mph slower, but it is noticeable). So I suppose I will continue that for a bit longer and then add a new 'fast' pace.

When I first got my treadmill last spring, my current 'slow' pace was WAY too fast for me for more than a couple of minutes. That's progress!
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Great NSV's so far.

For me it is not ordering food for delivery. Even so called healthier choices are full of sodium and for the money I could buy more groceries. I have been cooking daily and every time I eat my healthy dinner I think yum and hey why was I ordering chicken or pizza before?

Not even being tempted to order in is a huge NSV for me.

Last edited by pluckypear; 02-27-2013 at 06:40 PM.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #4  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

That's a really great and important NSV. Congratulations!
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #5  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Great work, Ferris. I don't have anything special this week, but last week I was really proud. At a very stressful moment at work I was offered a chocolate chip cookie. I had just had lunch and was by no means hungry, but I had that momentary impulse to think "Oh, that'll make this stress go away for a minute." And my next thought was "Okay, then, I'd better make a better choice." So I went down the hall and shot the breeze with a friend for 2 minutes as an alternate stress reliever.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/248/158

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone! It feels great to know I'm not a slave to fast food!

mnemosyne- that's a great idea about planning some fast food meals, just in case. And congrats on your fast pace! That must feel amazing to be able to keep it up!

pluckypear- Such a great point on being able to buy more groceries with that money. Tonight we were eating dinner while watching TV and an ad for pizza came on and i looked at the image on screen and down at my chicken and broccoli stirfry and thought that there's a clear winner on taste- the dinner I'd cooked! I can't believe how much money I used to spend on takeout. I'm so pleased for you that you're not tempted to order in!

Vortex- I'm so proud of you for resisting! I think it's really hard when you're put on the spot and offered something like that. How great that you found another- and more social!- stress reliever.
FerrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #7  
Where is Onederland???

S/C/G: 301/295/148

Height: 5'9

So super proud of you! That is a huge thing, especially when you can just grab change from the ashtray and blow the whole day!

Keep these NSVs in your mind when times are tough or you hit a plateau.

YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU ARE DOING THIS!
MrsYoung0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Yay!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote