Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Changing Sizes?!

So, as I see the numbers on the scale gradually go down, I am curious when the tag on my clothes will need to start showing a smaller number. I know it greatly varies from person to person, but about how many lbs down were you before you started to notice a change in the way your clothes fit? I already wear fairly loose clothes, So I don't anticipate noticing a change for a while.

Just wondering
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

The last time I lost a good amount of weight (and this will be the last time!!!), it was about 50 pounds before I finally admitted that I had to get some new clothes. However, I am very morbidly obese, so most of my pants have enough stretch in them to cover probably 4-5 sizes up and down. For people with less to lose, I seem to remember being able to tell the difference in how they fit after about 10-15 pounds, they definitely were getting baggy after 20. Getting a whole new wardrobe is one of the exciting elements of this journey.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #3  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I am so excited to be able to buy some new duds. Specifically, being able to buy new clothes from a regular store! I have goal in mind of losing 1-2 sizes in 4 months. I have no idea if this is a reasonable goal or not! I guess time will tell, but it is nice hearing about how these changes show up on others
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4  
the muse of memory

I have gone, in total, from a 32/34 to a 20.

I have worn at times size 6x. Or 5x. Or at least 4x, in Catherine's sizes. Now I wear a department store 2x, which is closer to a Catherine's 1x or 0x.

I have gone from wearing (at my highest weight) 50 G/H bras, to 48 G/H bras (for a couple of years), to now wearing 40 G/H bras.

Average those losses over my total loss. I was basically able to keep wearing my regular clothes for about the first forty pounds, though I edged down here and there. I hit 28s in the 330s/320s. 26s at a bit over 300.

In the past 50ish pounds, though, I have gone from a size 26 to a size 20. You are taller than I am so I expect it will go a bit more quickly for you.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #5  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
You are taller than I am so I expect it will go a bit more quickly for you.
I am short so I am thinking... I am going to stay in the same size for a while...
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I was down fifty pounds before I needed new shirts, but I didn't realize just how loose they'd gotten. I'd gone from a 5X -6X in Penningtons size to a 3X, although they were iffy because I was so heavy at the bottom. I'm now 100 pounds down and I am still wearing the same pants, though they're loose. I have a pronounced belly though. I currently can wear some 2X tops, they're tight though, and I'm most comfortable in a 3x. My pants are a 28 in jeans, but they're starting to loosen.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #7  
the muse of memory

Quote:
I am short so I am thinking... I am going to stay in the same size for a while...
Ichoosetobelieve - I am 5'4", so just an inch taller than you. I saw the biggest size drop between, say, 270 and where I am now. I am pretty sure I went from 24s to 20s in that range. It depends on how you are built, of course, but it may happen faster than you realize!
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

I started off in the low 260s last time, and it took 25 lbs (10%) before I noticed any difference at all in my clothing, and well over 35 lbs before I could legitimately go down a size, really closer to 50 before I stopped wearing most of what I had been wearing at the start.

This time, I started about 5 lbs lower but by 15 lbs, I was starting to fit into the next size down tops in my closet.

On the other hand, I wear only stretchy pants (denim with spandex, yoga pants, etc) at this point and I think it will take another 20 lbs at least before I get into some of my less forgiving pants. Fortunately, they are crops and other summer pants, so hopefully that timing will work out and I'll get one more summer out of them before they are hopefully too big and gone forever!

So I think it's just totally unpredictable, and for me, even losing weight 2 years apart, it's been different how I lose, and when clothing sizes have changed.

If you have smaller sizes in your closet, you may want to pick out a couple of things to try on periodically so that you can see changes more readily than you are going to notice in the things you wear regularly, esp. if you are used to wearing things that are already on the looser side.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #9  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

I started at 326 and size 24. It took a good 50 lbs before I dropped to 22s. Each size after that started taking less and less. Once I hit.....I think 18W maybe...they started dropping pretty fast. Now I'm only in a jean size for about 15 lbs.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #10  

I was just about the same as Tziri, starting at 328 but I was pushing 28s in some things like jeans/capris and wore 3x shirts. It took a good 40lbs to drop into 24-26s and I hung there for at least another 25lbs. My body is losing weight different this time, not sure if it's my age or my exercise or who knows what.

Clothes are so weird anyways, we can't really compare sizes. I'm wearing a 2x shirt right now (that used to be so tight I thought I'd pop!) with 22/24 stretchy pants (getting ready to work out) but I don't think in these particular clothes I could pull off a 1x with 18/20s if I happened to have them (they'd be too tight as it's stretchy material).

I am finally into the 18s (some W) and 1x but I can get away with some 14/16 and XLs in shirts and sweaters depending on the store. Those do make me feel skinny and beautiful and NORMAL. They are by no means small but they are for me.

I have a pair of Goodwill jeans in a 20 that are getting too big after wearing them for a couple of hours and I'm sad, I love the cut and feel and shape. But I'll get over it when I can fit into the 16Ws I have waiting for me that I paid $5 for when Fashion Bug went out of business. I can't WAIT to strut in those!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/248/158

I'm 20 or so pounds in to my loss, and my clothes are definitely feeling looser- this weekend I fit comfortably into a pair of pants that I could get on, but were uncomfortably tight, and I also bought a shirt in a size L- it's a style and brand of shirt that I also have in XL and 2XL in different colours. The L fits, but I'm not wearing it yet because it's quite form fitting compared to the tents I usually wear! I suspect in the next 5-10 pounds I'm going to have to retire some of the larger pieces I wear and move down a size, and this rate.
FerrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

It can also depend on your exercise. Recently I have been on a horrible plateau and the scale is hardly moving down at all. However, I work out in the pool like crazy and have dropped a clothing size (at least) without losing much of any weight at all.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #13  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

I've only lost about 30 pounds, but I started out about 3 sizes larger below the waist than above, and so far most of my weight is coming off from the hips, so I'm in desperate need of pants.

As you said, I think this varies a ton from person to person.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 341/333.4/180

Height: 5'2"

Bigger sizes take longer. 26/28, 22/24 are made to fit two sizes. You swim in one before the smaller one fits. Last time, I was a 26/28 at 330 lbs and an 18/20 at 260. 22/24 around the 290 mark.
Fallen Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 400/325/173

Height: 5'10''

The first time I started to lose weight, I was about 380 at the start. At about 350 I noticed my clothes were very comfortable and loose. At 320 I could pull my jeans down without unbuttoning/unzipping them and finally purchased a pair of size 24 from Lane Bryant. They were a little snug, but I liked them better than the size 26 falling off at work. lol I didn't ever purchase a new size shirt, I just noticed that the ones I already had were a bit loose, and that was also about the weight people actually started to notice I had lost. It takes losing a lot more for people to notice at my weight.
Cherry Heart is offline   Reply With Quote