3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   Anyone suggest a diet that works? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/274009-anyone-suggest-diet-works.html)

362to262 01-22-2013 03:07 PM

Anyone suggest a diet that works?

I've reached desperation now and there is no going back - I MUST lose weight. I am 54, 5ft 4 and weigh 352 pounds.

I've lost 10lb this year on low carb but I went on two binges. I want to avoid that happening again.

I am looking for a diet plan that will work for me. Has anyone who has lost a substantial amount of weight posted all their daily food intake anywhere so I can copy it or at least get ideas? I'm willing to do ANYTHING so long as it's wholesome, tenable, maintainable and does not leave me hungry.

My current diet is what I call "cabbage-soup-meets Atkins". I make a huge cauldron of soup (cabbage, leeks, greens, capsicum, tomatoes, and chicken stock) and am allowed as much as I want all day as it's low calorie and low carb, too. I put 2 tbsp of double cream in each pint I drink - makes it palateable and adds calcium, but also adds 100 calories to each serving. I also have 100g to 200g of cooked meat three times a day for protein. And I have about 4 pints of tea a day, with cream not milk to save on carbs.

I am having about 40g carbs, 300g to 500g of protein and about 1600 calories a day.

Can anyone thing of a better diet than this, or one that will work faster?

Cheers

H.

berryblondeboys 01-22-2013 03:16 PM

Mine only recommendation is to get rid of sugars and to get enough proteins and good fats. You don't have to go super low carb like Atkins, but after a few days of no sugars, you will stop craving them.... So that means no bread, no rice, no cakes, cookies, potatoes, sweet potatoes and watch those condiments.

Now, at your size, 1600 is REALLLLLLLY low calorie. You can do that, but you don't need to. I think I would start with ridding the sugars and then slowly decrease your calories.

The sugars are the real problem. of that I'm sure of it.

Allow yourself to eat any veggies you want and even as many as you want. Just be sure to get enough proteins and fats to keep you satiated.

362to262 01-22-2013 03:50 PM

Hi Melissa ... I'm a bit confused ...

There is no sugar in the current diet that I listed (and I thought by saying I am on low carb that covered sugar).

I've not eaten any sugar, fruit, juice, wheat, potatoes or rice for five months, and even before that they were only occasional treats. I gave up alcohol and sugar 12 years ago. The only time I eat anything like that is if I fall off the wagon and go on a binge. The binge lasts half an hour then it's over. I have had only two binges in 22 days. I'd rather it was none, of course!

You think 1600 is too low? I really am desperate to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. 10lbs in 22 days so far is not fast enough for me. I can barely even walk and have no quality of life at this size.

H.

Saracandoit 01-22-2013 04:31 PM

This seems pretty intense for your weight. How long have you been doing it and no loss? Are you also working out or taking walks? :)

I'm 282 currently and working out about a hour a day burning 350 calories and even at 1500 calories a day I'm getting headaches and feeling weak. It might be the calorie intake is to low for yours so your body is resisting?

wendyland 01-22-2013 04:31 PM

If you're looking to lose more than 1-2 pounds a week, you probably need to find a doctor that can help you. Most people on this forum would not advocate losing faster than 1-2 pounds a week on your own. The best diet is one that you can live with for life. A quick fix is not going to teach you to how to maintain a weight loss.

It sounds like you are already on the right track with the foods that you have given up. Those foods cause a lot of inflammation. Your body may need more time to heal before it can let go of the fat. There are also lots of toxins accumulated in the fat. Losing weight too fast can cause you too feel pretty bad.

Also, if you don't already make your own chicken stock, homemade bone broth has so much more nutrients and calcium from the bones.

Sheridan 01-22-2013 05:12 PM

Hi,

I don't have any helpful info on diets but I do want to wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. Sending good thoughts your way.

Sheridan

nomorejellybeans 01-22-2013 05:44 PM

You should see a doctor. Something is not right. Melissa's mention of sugar is because there are so many things with hidden sugars, I'm sure she was just being careful for you. Anyway, maybe something is wrong with your thyroid.

berryblondeboys 01-22-2013 06:08 PM

So, what do you think is causing the binging if it isn't sugar? For me it would be lack of variety in diet. Losing weight doesn't have to be torture.

Soup is good, but change it up some too. Have some broccoli some night. Some pork one night, some beef another. Make a taco shellless taco - with the meat and seasonings (from a packet or easily make your own to control sodium better), tons of romaine lettuce, fresh salsa, add some diced peppers, a couple slices of avocado and a sprinkling of cheese. Super delicious. Need a bit of crunch, sprinkle one lower carb taco shell over top... stuff like that. I add some black beans to it too.

You don't have to eat cabbage soup day in and day out to lose weight. Especially if every 20 or so days you binge.

I second the "go to see your doctor" on this one. You want to be sure you are OK in other ways. My thyroid was KAPUT and my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugars were way out of whack because of it. Once that got under control, so did all the rest of it.

And maybe he can prescribe a nutritionist too. If it's medically prescribed, it might be covered by insurance - check into that.

forreal 01-22-2013 09:06 PM

Forget the word Diet. Eat sensible food. Do portion control. Two snacks a day. You will lose weight.

You know sensible food.

Sit down and plan - breakfast would be cereal or oatmeal with fruit/milk or a veggie omelette with toast. Lunch would be salad w/ protein or left-overs or a weight watchers packaged meal or a sandwich. Dinner would be protein, potatoes/rice/couscous, and loads of veggies. Snacks would be yogurt or sugar-free pudding, popcorn, nuts.

No bucket of fried chicken, no whole pizzas, no pancake stacks, etc. But if you really feel like those foods, have a reasonable portion once in a while.

If you "diet" you will binge.

I don't even count calories -- too much stress. But I do log into "loseit . com" to look up calories to become more aware of what I'm eating. And I log my food on that site to keep track of what I'm eating.

If you feel the need to be on a specific diet plan, figure out which one would suit your needs best, and commit to it. Once you make up your mind about which program, read about it as much as you can. I'm doing "Intuitive Eating" and I'm reading everything I can about it.

Good luck to you - you can do it.

berryblondeboys 01-22-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forreal (Post 4602876)
Forget the word Diet. Eat sensible food. Do portion control. Two snacks a day. You will lose weight.

You know sensible food.

Sit down and plan - breakfast would be cereal or oatmeal with fruit/milk or a veggie omelette with toast. Lunch would be salad w/ protein or left-overs or a weight watchers packaged meal or a sandwich. Dinner would be protein, potatoes/rice/couscous, and loads of veggies. Snacks would be yogurt or sugar-free pudding, popcorn, nuts.

No bucket of fried chicken, no whole pizzas, no pancake stacks, etc. But if you really feel like those foods, have a reasonable portion once in a while.

If you "diet" you will binge.

I don't even count calories -- too much stress. But I do log into "loseit . com" to look up calories to become more aware of what I'm eating. And I log my food on that site to keep track of what I'm eating.

If you feel the need to be on a specific diet plan, figure out which one would suit your needs best, and commit to it. Once you make up your mind about which program, read about it as much as you can. I'm doing "Intuitive Eating" and I'm reading everything I can about it.

Good luck to you - you can do it.

If I ate like that I would binge. Way too many carbs for me and for many of us who are carb sensitive.

April Snow 01-22-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 362to262 (Post 4602431)
I am having about 40g carbs, 300g to 500g of protein and about 1600 calories a day.

you are either underestimating your calories or overestimating the amount you are eating.

1 gr protein = 4 calories/g so 300-500 = 1200-2000
1 gr carbs = 4 calories/g so 40 = 160
1 gr fat = 9 calories/g You don't give that amount in grams but 2 tbsp of double cream has 30 gr fat, which means 270 each time, and you are apparently having that multiple times a day in your soup and in your tea. That's well over a 1000 calories.

Plus whatever fat is in the meat.

So by my reckoning, you are likely around 3000 calories a day, maybe more. I doubt you are going to lose much weight on that.

Low carb isn't the be all and end all of weight loss, and I say this as someone who is doing one! The reason people tend to lose weight on them is because for most people, low carb functionally ends up being low calorie. But that isn't happening with what you are eating.

As for my own expience, I am doing the Dukan Diet, which is low carb and low fat. I eat around 1000 calories a day, but I am never hungry. (and I don't have to actually count anything, I just do out of curiosity.) There is a list of allowed foods, and that's what you eat, period. You can eat whenever you are hungry, but I find I'm just not that hungry! If you want more info on it, I'm happy to share. This is just my opinion/experience, but it's been the easiest diet I've ever been on. I lost about 65 lbs in 6 months when I did it a couple of years ago. But of course, like any diet, it only works when you stay on it, and I went back to my old ways and regained - but that was me, not the diet.

April Snow 01-22-2013 09:54 PM

ok, a correction - I was getting confused going from gr to tbsp - so 30 ml = 2 tbs = 15 gr fat, not 30.

However, depending on how many portions you have of the cabbage soup and how much you put in your tea, plus whatever fat is in your meat, you could still be north of 1000 calories from the fat in your diet.

forreal 01-22-2013 10:32 PM

Desparate -- there are so many programs/diets to choose from -- it's a difficult decision. We all have to choose what works best for us. Some people need a lot of structure, others don't. Some plans restrict what you can eat, others offer more variety. Some plans say three meals a day, some say six smaller meals a day. Some people prefer the "Slim Fast" type of diet where you have two shakes and one meal a day.

I'm sure you want to drop the weight quickly. Whatever you chose, it will take more time than you want it to to reach your goal. So try to think it through as to the type of diet you'll select. There's no "One Plan Fits All" unfortunately.

Again, good luck to you and I hope you post and let us know how you're doing, Hope we didn't make your head spin - we're all on your side.

362to262 01-25-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April Snow (Post 4602933)
ok, a correction - I was getting confused going from gr to tbsp - so 30 ml = 2 tbs = 15 gr fat, not 30.

However, depending on how many portions you have of the cabbage soup and how much you put in your tea, plus whatever fat is in your meat, you could still be north of 1000 calories from the fat in your diet.

????

Your post is quite shocking. Nobody else has pointed this out.

1,000 calories in fat?

I am tracking everything in fatsecret and it's not coming up with that. How come?

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Candeka 01-25-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 362to262 (Post 4606862)
????

Your post is quite shocking. Nobody else has pointed this out.

1,000 calories in fat?

I am tracking everything in fatsecret and it's not coming up with that. How come?

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Every gram of fat has 9 calories. Both protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram. Well some fats are good for you, they are also very calorie dense. I've never heard of fatsecret before so I am unsure of why it would not be telling you.