Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #1  
Don't ever give up!

S/C/G: 307/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Peer pressure!

Seriously???!!! I can't go to a friend's house or even left family visit when I am dieting. "One burger wont hurt", "Just a little cake is okay". Sheesh! I just want to be on my diet, is that too much to ask? It's hard enough to turn away food in my own cabinet.

How do you handle everyone around you offering you food you know you shouldn't eat? I was THIS close to actually giving in and eating it all but my new motto: One slip up leads to another.
lusciousskittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/299

Height: 5'6"

Omg I know how you feel!
CyndiLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #3  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

I LOVED this post! as if changing our habits wasn't hard enough !!!
People we know who love us are often threatened by change and if they are used to seeing us shovel in food and alchohol as if the end of the world was nigh us saying "no" to a burger shakes them to the core! I always reply if pressed that I am just eating healthily at the moment , but thanks....and I think my tone must brook no argument.
Having said that if I say no to going out for a costa coffee my husband falls to the floor in surprise and questions me closely so I am obviously not as convincing as I think!!!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

This is something I struggle with as well. I can get pretty aggravated when friends and family just won't let me eat what I want to eat and leave me be. But as mountain walker above said-people are bothered by change. Sometimes I feel like it makes my family and friends feel better if I'm eating poorly like them-its groupthink.

I'm learning to just be more stern when I say no thank you and then change the subject to something non food related. After a while I'm hoping they get the message and stop offering up food to me.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

I just say no and leave it at that, nobody pressures me to eat.
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #6  
Don't ever give up!

S/C/G: 307/ticker/150

I want to say im glad im not the only one going through this, but it sucks so bad that i feel sorry for yall too! I had a "sit down" with my family and close friends this morning to explain that I really need them to support me in my dieting and not offer me any food. I have my calories and meals planned out and i want to stick to it. They seem to get the message this time so we will see how it goes!
lusciousskittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm pretty good at waiting until the other person feels awkward enough to give up. Usually, no matter what you say, they'll insist a few times, but if you casually say "no," "no thanks," or "nah" enough they'll give up. Longer explanations usually invite them to say more about it, so it's better just to stick to simple two word "no thanks." If you want to say more, something like "I've lost over 20 pounds so far" is useful, because it emphasizes your success and the fact that you know what you're doing, without going into the "rules" of your diet (which people will inevitably try to give you advice on).

I find it usually takes between 2-5 nos to get someone to stop, and they'll usually change the subject at that point. If not, something else is going on, and you should avoid the conversation (which is probably driven by their own insecurities).

Another thing that helps a lot is bringing food to social situations. Even if you only bring a small veggie tray, you can look social (1- by bringing food and 2- by eating with everyone else) without eating the cake or burger.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

I know what you mean...I tell people I'm watching what I eat and all they want to do is go out to eat with me...What's up with that? Or I tell my BF I'm watching my carbs and he wants Chinese food or pizza...
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 370/308.8/175

Height: 5'8

I know exactly how you feel. What helps me resist is I just keep thinking about how far along I've come. Especially if I've been doing really good that day eating healthy. I'm like I don't want to ruin all that for a cookie, even if it is a big behind delicious peanut butter chocolate chip one. LOL.

I have a goal list and I buy myself something when I reach that goal so that helps also.

Temptation sucks!
ShiningStar05 is offline   Reply With Quote