Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/304/185

Height: 5'8 3/4

Unhappy Worried a bit

I'm new here so hello all!

I have a trip planned with my husband to Phuket, Thailand in two weeks ( so excited). I am, however, worrying about the plane and, mostly, fitting in the plane. When I brought it up, my husband just said that I would be just fine. Fact is I probably will, but it still scares me to death.

I'm about 310 pounds and 5'9. It's in two weeks so there is no real hope to get that much smaller before we leave. I wear a loose 20 or tight (but not uncomfortably tight) size 18 in my pants; 1X or 2X on tops (16-18). I have bought a seat belt extender just to be on the safe side (I don't want to have to ask for it if needed; I would rather die) and my husband is smaller so I should be able to encroach his space no problem.

I just wish I would stop worrying about this. It's getting ridiculous...
amalexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

If you are traveling together, I don't think you have too much to worry about. You should be able to put the arm rest up between you and be plenty comfortable.

I would ask you to really think about the fact that you would rather die than ask for an extender. I have done it numerous times and while it was hard the first time, it really isn't a huge deal. I found that the best way was to discretely ask the stewardess as I board the plane and I have never had one make a fuss over it. You deserve to have a great trip, but most of all to be safe as possible while you travel. Please don't let shame put your life at risk.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #3  
the muse of memory

You will be fine! I have traveled to Europe and South America. I am shorter than you and was heavier at the time than you are now. In fact, I just got back from Peru in May and was about 320 lbs at the time. You are so much taller than me and your clothing size so much smaller that I think you will not need to worry about an extender or the seat size.

I did not need an extender on flights to Europe at 330 and even 340 lbs. The seatbelts fit me, barely. If you are traveling with your husband, as Nancy said, you will be able to lift the armrest between you and it will be fine.

I *did* need an extender on the international flight I had to Peru, and on all the internal flights. Like Nancy, I found that asking the flight attendant as I got on the plane was the easiest way to go. Even on the internal flights in Peru, I never had a problem. They understood me (I do not speak Spanish) and were very kind and discrete. They want you to have a good flight.

Also: different airlines have different seat belt requirements, so I would not worry about buying an extender.

I would recommend on a very long flight like one to Thailand that you and your husband consider springing for the "economy plus" seats. Really, the most uncomfortable aspect of international travel for me is the lack of legroom and having someone else's head in my face when they (inevitably) recline their seats. Different airlines have different options, but on those long, long flights a few extra inches can really make the difference, especially if, like me, you cannot sleep on a plane.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #4  
Wendy

S/C/G: 355/355/145

Height: 5'2

I just wanted to repeat what has already been said...

Since you're traveling with your husband, there's no need to worry. Sitting beside someone you know makes the trip that much easier and more relaxing.

The thing about getting settled on a plane is that people aren't paying too much attention to you. Instead their wanting to make sure they get some overhead compartment space. So, once you get get seated, get your seat belt extension done up, and get comfortable, both you and your husband can ease back and enjoy the flight.
Wendy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #5  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Ditto to all that. I would just add that I'm a 26 (well, headed down to 24, but I was at 26 for a long time), carrying a LOT of weight around the hips/butt, and in most cases, I'm only an inch or two short on the darn seat belt. So I'm guessing you won't even need an extender most of the time, if you just make sure to extend the seat belt sufficiently.

Have a great trip!
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 317/304/185

Height: 5'8 3/4

Thank you all for your comments. It is putting my worries a bit to a rest. We're flying mostly on Korean Air. We have a shot flight (1h45) from Montreal to Washington in a quite small plane. I feel this is the most uncomfortable I'll get, but it won't be for long. It's the only plane where the seats are put at 17 inches according to SeatGuru. The rest will be between 17.5 and 18.2. I have also spotted places in the plane that might be better (we are taking a 747 to get back home and there are like 4 rows at the back that seat 2 instead of 3 on the aisles). Hopefully, we'll be able to get those seats.

NotTheCheat, I want to thank you for pointing how hard I was being on myself. I do already have a seat belt extender in case I need one (I made sure it would fit with all airlines we will be flying). I haven't realized that I wrote that I would rather die. I know I care way too much about what other people think of me. I'm working on this, but, as we can see, I'm still far from being done on that side.
amalexia is offline   Reply With Quote