Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/330/150

Height: 5'7

Default First Post, looking for advice

Hi All,

I am over 300 pounds and have been struggling with my weight for a VERY long time. After many attempts losing weight, losing around 30 pounds, giving up and gaining that back plus more, I am sick of it. It is time for a change. I signed up for a Biathalon today that will take place in October(2 miles running, 12 miles biking, 2 miles running) to motivate myself to work hard and stick to my diet and exercise. Has anyone else done anything similar that can offer advice? any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!
crazysonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #2  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi Sonia,

I haven't done anything like a biathalon. I learned that if I want to really change a habit (for me at least), I have to do it gradually, baby steps. I've worked myself up from 5 or 10 minutes of walking a day to a point where I can do 30 minutes, but I'm still far from being fit, and I've lost only about 30 pounds. But instead of finding my motivation fading, I find it getting stronger, so I think I'm onto something.

Support has helped me, so I strongly recommend you hold onto a strong support network, whether here or elsewhere.

Good luck!

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 02-03-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #3  
go ticker go!

S/C/G: 291/245.4/195

Height: 5'10"

Welcome! That is a great motivating goal that you have. I started the Couch to 5K program today and love it so far. I have no plans on a biathalon but who knows?
begoodjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SONIA ~ that's quite a challenge you've taken on there. Maybe start with a good balanced & flexible plan like calorie counting; and you already know what exercise routine you are working on.

May I suggest you start slow and work your way up over time? Try to look at this as a marathon, not a sprint. No more -- on a diet, off a diet thing; look for the long-term instead. Forgive the slips, blips, and mistakes -- and just keep on going. Good luck on your journey; here's to good health for life ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Good luck and welcome to 3FC, one of the friendliest corners of the Internet

I have no experience with using something like a biathlon as motivation, but whatever it takes to get you started and then keep you honest is great. Make small, permanent habit changes and you'll be well on your way to where you want to be. A few easy changes are a lot more likely to stay with you in the long run than going full tilt and exhausting yourself to quitting in three weeks.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #6  

Thanks for the support. I started doing Power 90 on Monday and its tough, but ive heard great things about it so i figure i can give it a shot. I also have a gym membership (that i haven't used for 6 months) that i just started back on. I find the hardest thing about losing weight for me is staying motivated, so im hoping the Biathalon will keep me motivated.

Thanks again for the support(every little bit of support is a great help)!

Good luck to you too!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #7  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

It's going to be hard and challenging. And there are gonna be times that you feel like you want to quit. One thing I keep thinking of that keeps me motivated, is yeah, losing weight sucks! Lolol, But you're getting smaller everyday, and in the end it'll all make up for it if we just stick to it. What's several months, maybe a year, maybe a year and a half to lose weight compared to a lifetime of health and happiness? I think it will all be worth it in the end. And being on here and getting support is really, extremely helpful.

Good luck!!!
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #8  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Being someone who started out at 301 pounds and is down to 290, my advice is: Dont look back. Dont look at your failures that youve had in the past. Just keep looking forward. Always look forward to success. It sounds cheezy, but if we spend time looking back, we forget where are goal is at. We need to keep looking at the goal in front of us. We need to stop lying to ourselves saying "we cant do it" and "im just going to fail again" and "i can never be beautiful". Weight loss to me is making our outside match our inside. Inside we are beautiful.. and outside we are beautiful, just not in the way that we want to show it. So look forward to your goal...keep it in your mind all the time..

Oh and remember..if your addicted to food..a diet is going to seem like the hardest thing..but just like a drug junkie who wants to use one more time, i guarentee you will feel the same thing. Its okay to feel tempted..but you dont have to act on that temptation. PRESS FORWARD! YOU CAN DO IT!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Welcome to the board and congratulations on taking the first big step towards a healthier life.

While I haven't signed up for a marathon, I did commit to sticking with this weight loss plan for one full year (I got the suggestion to commit for a year from a post on this board). I find that having a long-term commitment to weight loss has kept me from going too overboard on those dates when I actually did cheat. In the past, without that commitment, I would have just packed it in if I messed up one time. Now I forgive myself and move on.

So I think it's good to have that long-term commitment. Don't give up on it, even if you do make a mistake here and there. Good luck!
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Welcome! WTG on the biathalon motivation!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone! its so great to have so much support early on. Tomorrow im gonna see if i lost any weight this week(i dont have a scale) wish me luck!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Wow! What a goal to motivate you. I've never done anything like that but if it gets you moving in the direction of your goals then I think it's amazing.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #13  

Thanks for the tip begoodjen! I'm gonna start the couch to 5k tomorrow =)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 301/147/147

hello there, As I lost the weight and got fitter (having started at 301 pounds and unfit) I picked up running. A year into maintenance and I did a half marathon in 2 hrs 15 mins. It was a huge accomplishment for me and I felt like I had finally arrived.

The biathlon is a really good idea. It will give you a focused goal and the training will certainly accelerate weight loss as well as getting you fit very quickly!
lossforlife is offline   Reply With Quote