Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #1  

Default Completely Stalled.. and hello! :)

Hello everyone! I have no idea where to go for more information or advice, but I thought that someone here might have an idea about what's going on with me and I really don't know where else to turn. I apologize for the intrusion if this is the wrong thread and I thank you for reading, regardless .

For the majority of my life, I've been on a diet. I was always a large kid and in my teens, my weight skyrocketed. Since then, I have fought to lose weight and now that I'm in my early thirties, am more mature and actually totally committed, my weight seems to have stalled.

I initially tried Weight Watchers last year.. the amount of calories that I had to consume in food seemed insane for my weight. Still, I tried the diet again (had huge success with it previously) and gained weight.

I couldn't lose on the 1200 cal. Diabetic Diet.

I lost sixty pounds fairly quickly with WonderSlim products, but then everything became incredibly slow. I got frustrated and started yo-yoing until I completely stalled on that diet.

I started Atkins (despite the fact I hate meat and I'm a former vegetarian) and lost twelve pounds, gained two and then stalled. I am eating food that I absolutely hate and still I cannot do what I need to do.

What a mouthful ! Anyway, my weight is a huge problem in my life because of the physical limitations that it causes (including limitations with exercise). I'm all about wanting to be healthy. My weight limits what I'm able to do and I NEED to find something that works. I am ready to take full responsibility, but my body seems unwilling. I am not interested in weight loss surgery because of the complications and also due to the fact I don't have insurance.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I would go to my doctor, but she dismisses me and with all of the previous failures that I've had, she doesn't seem too interested. Aside from that, she does blood tests and never sees anything wrong. Finding a new doctor in this community is extremely rough because everything is incorporated.

I am sorry for this long post, but I was sitting here tonight in complete and total confusion and needed to know if there was anyone who identified and could point me in a direction that might help. I thank you again for reading this message.

Addie
addiekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

It will just take time. Be patient. I felt limited in the beginning too. I started at 325 lbs. I still don't exercise much because my joints don't like it. Something that I did a lot this summer was swim...well, not swim so much as walk around in the water for hours. The water helps take the stress off the joints, but offers enough resistance to give some kind of workout. I also remember seeing them do a lot of water exercises on "The Biggest Loser" when people would get shin splints or when they were physically unable to do the harder exercise. That might be something to consider.
I really hope that you find what works for you, and welcome to the group!
rachel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/234/160

Height: 5'6"

I started at 345 I'm at 260 at the moment. What really helped me wasn't focusing on a diet. Especially not ones where I wouldn't keep up that kind of eating for longer than a year. Tons of people have success with WW, and I even use some of the atkins products because they have low carb options where I need it. But, what I was going to suggest was if you can possibly look in to cooking your own foods.

When you make it and you enjoy it yourself, it is so much more rewarding. You can control what you eat a lot better, and You don't have to feel like I did sometimes, unfulfilled eating something I don't like. And, I started walking, even when I was still eating "badly". Walking, coupled with the changes in my food gave me energy and eventually I felt way better, even though at first it was tough and I thought my legs would be better off detached.
laladida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I find calorie counting works best for me. I am not limited to eating certain foods. I am in total control of what I eat. It is a flexible program and works whether you are dieting or maintaining and it is free.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #5  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

I second the calorie counting. It's working for me so far. I use livestrong.com/myplate for tracking. There are many completely free programs online for weight management. When you join, you put in your height and weight & what your goal is, maintaining, losing 1 pound a week, etc.

I recommend reading this forum. Check out the Goals and Mini-goals section. Read stories of struggle from other people. Maybe it will give you some inspiration.

Here is one of my favorite 3FC quotes regarding this whole journey:

Being fat is hard. Losing is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

First, welcome!

It sounds like you've tried several different approaches and that's good because I truly believe that dieting is not a one size fits all. Personally, I tried calorie counting, fat counting and Weight Watchers points - none of those worked for me. Turns out a low carb Atkins style plan was the key for me - but that's because I can comfortably maintain the lifestyle long term.

I think that's the key, finding something that works and that you can stick with long term and then sticking with that plan through the ups and downs. Another bit of advice is to measure portions and consistently log absolutely everything you eat and drink. That way you'll know what you're really taking in and what some of your 'triggers' might be. For example, I didn't know just how badly my body reacted to sodium until I started faithfully recording everything. Now I know if I have a high sodium day I can expect to see at least a 2-3 pound bounce on the scale.

Weight loss is a slow journey - one step, one ounce, one day at a time. Be patient and work the plan you choose, tweak it so it works for you and stick with it!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #7  

In Jan 2011, I made a lifestyle change. I chose a plan i thoyght i could live on the rest of my life. No fad or commercial diets for me. I choose to count calories and eat low fat, low carb as much as possible.

My plan is working. I too have periods where i don't lose. I have accepted that this is a part of my journey.

My advice, find a plan that works for you and stick to it.

I love that quote above about picking your "hard"
PearlNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

first off welcome, I was 325 now 306 all I did was cut down on portions, ate more fruit and veggies and drink water like it's going out of style, I am more aware of what I put in my mouth, I no longer eat sweets, and I don't even miss them, I would rather eat frozen grapes, apples, pears, oranges, I eat spinach leaves in a salad, with carrots and very little Italian dressing, I also eat a mini baby bell cheese, I limit my cheese intake and my sodium intake the most important thing is I got rid of the word diet, and I use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate, and I work out on the wii, 20 mins a day. You will get there it takes time. I keep thinking if i had stuck to my plan when i started in 09 I would have been at goal ages ago, I feel off the wagon, but Now I am back on and on track and I don't even feel like I am dieting. More organic , low or no sodium for me.

Last edited by TracyB73; 11-02-2011 at 04:47 PM.
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote