Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #16  

You know what? Carol I am ready for the sweaters! LOL! It is so hot here right now.

You bet I enjoyed the new baby, what a sweetie. She was so good. She just looks around and takes everything in and no crying, no crying at all except when I tried to hold her. LOL! She knew I wasn't Mom or Grandma.
My daughter came with granddaughter to help with the kids. It is a good thing she did. Our sweet Sarah is a special needs child and she has to have someone to watch her now that she is running, never mind walking. She is constantly moving. The oldest girl helps with her too.

I had better get off before my computer gets me off anyway. I am going to have my SIL take this tower home with him and fix it up. I don't like having it go black all of a sudden. Take care everyone. Ruth
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I slipped on my iron-clad control yesterday but plan to get right back on track today. I have a plan for getting back on track today. Now, execute!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #18  
*Amat Victoria Curam*

Height: 5'10'

vortex-I haven't had Indian food in forever, it used to be a favorite!

dgramie-I'm starting to watch my sodium intake too, it's been eye opening to see it when using the mfp site and I've changed a few things as a result!

Heather-I hope the mammogram went okay, I have to make my first appointment for one soon.

Yesterday I did a great job, I didn't want to eat much because of some family stress--that's not the way I used to deal with it, though! I'm officially at the end of my first week and have lost 8 lbs, I'm not expecting that to continue and I'm also not sure how much of it might be genuine: I'll try the scale in another day or so and see. I'm more thrilled about the fact I'm really liking water!!! Does iced tea count, any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #19  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Had an okay last day of vacation. Probably one more day than we needed. I mean I coulda used several more days, but "relaxation" is stressful for DH, and it was wearing on his nerves today. Ah well, tomorrow's back home and back to work.

Carol--We're in Chicago. Wasn't my first choice (I wanted to go as far north in Minnesota as we could get and cool off) but DH argued that we don't spend enough time here, so we came and did a lot of touristy things. Ate some good food and did a ton of walking in the heat

Debbie--That needle's gotta move sometime!

Ruth--Glad you had a good visit--sounds like fun family time.

Singe--I drink a ton of coffee and iced tea, but I've decided to only "count" drinks without caffeine. So I've been making decaf iced tea for myself. Although I've read recently (and my doc agreed) that although caffeine is a little dehydrating, there's enough water in caffeinated beverages to outweigh the dehydrating effect, still, I want to decrease my caffeine (at least somewhat), so I'm not counting caffeinated stuff. But I know some argue that all beverages should count...

Heather--Hope you had a great day back on plan.

See you all tomorrow~~

Angela
Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #20  

Height: 5'7"

well its official Im a KLUTZ!! I was in the kitchen last night and talking on the phone and not paying attention to what I was doing. I stepped in a tiny spot of water and slipped and fell. I landed on one knee...of course it was the same knee that I had hurt before. Icing and rest are top on my list of things to do today. I was finally able to walk a mile again so needless to say Im upset!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #21  
Committed to this

S/C/G: 285/268/135

Good morning all!

I am on plan, but battling with negative thoughts and finding myself hovering around the refrigerator looking for numbing food, before I quickly stop myself. I was in one of the twin towers on 9/11, and I always feel sad and anxious in August since then. The ten year anniversary feels even more intense to me for some reason. It was after 9/11 that I started putting on extra weight. (I was not overweight before that). I am trying not to get too stressed out, and trying not to numb myself with food. So far, I am being relatively successful on both accounts, but I am "nibbling" a few extra olives, or an extra cheese stick. So far though, I have been able to keep it to within my points allowance by using some of my activity points for that.

Deb, I am so sorry about your fall! I hope your knee is feeling better by the time you read this.

Angela, I really like Chicago, and have close friends there, but I never seem to get there to visit. I am thinking of going there in the fall some time. I always end up losing more during vacations because of all the walking I do. What touristy things did you do?

Heather, how is your getting back on plan going? One day is not really a slip up especially since we are all in this for the long haul.

Singe, congrats on the awesome loss!

Hello to everyone I missed!

Laura
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #22  
*Amat Victoria Curam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex_VVV View Post
Singe--I drink a ton of coffee and iced tea, but I've decided to only "count" drinks without caffeine. So I've been making decaf iced tea for myself. Although I've read recently (and my doc agreed) that although caffeine is a little dehydrating, there's enough water in caffeinated beverages to outweigh the dehydrating effect, still, I want to decrease my caffeine (at least somewhat), so I'm not counting caffeinated stuff. But I know some argue that all beverages should count...
Thank you for the info! I got a medium sized Brita filter and now our water is actually nice to drink, I probably prefer it to the iced tea but I wanted to have a choice!!
When my last two boxes of coffee are gone I plan on switching totally to decaf, after years and years of caffeinated! I noticed it was making me really jittery/heart palpitations. And it's probably another step on my way to being more conscious of many more healthy things.

dgramie-I hope you're better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Singe, congrats on the awesome loss!
Thank you! I weighed again this morning and it was exactly the same so I'll go ahead and claim it, tom and all. I'm looking forward to having a ticker in my sig when I'm here, for now I'm looking at the big red 8 on myfitness...I find the food journaling a huge eye opener, and when I go back to work I plan on using it for meals and snacks in the work day to stay on track.

It's hard to know what to say about your 9/11 experience except talking about how you feel with others is a good way to process it. I was in a relationship with someone who did search/rescue and on one of the remembrance days, wanting to understand more I watched a few documentaries, and got completely flooded by the human experiences. It still feels too big and too much in many ways to me. Talking and writing in the most stressful moments are two strategies I'm trying to use instead of mindless eating. I hope you find good support for this time, it's understandable that you may need it.

One funny thing we have in common: I'm a cheese/olive nibbler too! I went food shopping and found that WW has cheese triangles that looked much like Laughing Cow, and they had a parmesan/black pepper one. I bought them and they're yummy, I made a sandwich with two sandwich thin minis and it was a perfect size. Kind of shocking that it was a 130 calorie snack, it made me not crave anything else. I may have to try more kinds!

Have a wonderful day, ladies: stay hydrated! Even in the PNW where we have had no summer all year it was plenty hot!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #23  

Angela -- Chicago! Some day we should meet up! I was just in Chicago today, walking around, and then meeting a friend for a facial and lunch.

Debbie -- OUCH! You doing okay???

Laura -- Well, as traumatic experiences go, 9/11 is way up there! I think it helps a bit to know why we're stressed and wanting to eat... a little... then we have to find ways to work past it. I'm sure it's not going to get easier as the anniversary approaches, so please don't disappear on us, okay???
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #24  
Vortex

Hey all, just popping in quickly. Gotta try to deal with an emergency for a student before bed. Sigh.

Deb: Total bummer! Hope the knee is feeling better.

Laura: We did the Art Institute, Millennium Park and Grant Park, the Hull House Museum (with a walk around the UIC campus), Buddy Guy's place, and a bunch of really good meals. If you like Indian food, I strongly recommend the Chicago Curry House (South Loop). We have no decent restaurants in my town--I mean that, seriously--so just getting good food that I don't have to cook myself was a treat.

Okay, off to grade a bunch of work that was due in June so that I can change a grade so this young woman doesn't lose her student teaching placement for the coming semester....she just sent me the work now, but I have to get her final grade turned in by noon tomorrow! I love it when their problems become mine

Have a great Friday all.

Angela
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #25  

Height: 5'7"

laura- I dont know what to say about your 9/11 experience. We are here for you, HUG!! I also love love love olives. I am limiting my cheese though to only a few times a week. I love olives with my cottage cheese.

angela- good luck on the grading.

heather- hi...hope you have a great day!

singe- Im working my way off cafinated coffee.Im using up mine by adding in a can of decaf making it half and half.I will slowly add in more decaf till im on all decaf.

Yesterday I ate a bit too much. Nothing really major but just a couple of 100 calories I didnt need. I think part of it was due to the meds and not being able to do anything else. I hate being stuck in a chair with my feet up.
My knee is sore and swollen but I think it will heal faster than the last knee injury. I plan to take it super easy for a few days. School starts here next week so starting monday im back to a full house of kids.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #26  
Committed to this

S/C/G: 285/268/135

Thank you SO much everyone for being here!

I never talk about 9/11. Ever. But this year it is much more prevalent in my mind. I think part of the reason is that I have been storing my buried feelings in my fat, and as the fat comes off, I am feeling more.

In any case, I am really grateful for the support.

I am on plan and actually feeling better physically than I have in years. I started on south beach and then added the Weight Watcher's framework to my diet after the first month or so, and it was on South Beach that I learned about olives and how good they are for you. Olives are my go to "decadent" nibble now and I make sure I limit myself to no more than 10 a day (on South Beach you were allowed 15 a day, even in phase one) and count them in my WW points. I find that they help me curb my appetite for hours.

Deb, how is your leg? I know that when I am home bound and a bit "bored", I tend to eat. I am an emotional eater, but I am also a boredom eater. Wow, I can't believe that school starts next week for you! That is so early!

Angela, I am glad that you had a good vacation! I love eating out, as long as I can reasonably predict the ingredients and their nutritional content. I get anxious if I can't figure out what the calorie content is of what I am eating. I know I need to let go of that and sometimes just enjoy a meal out regardless of whether I can break it down into carbs and protein and calories....

Singe, you are doing great on your weight loss journey! I love laughing cow cheese. (not so much the WW copy, since where I live they only have the plain flavor of the WW copy and they have many flavors of laughing cow)

Heather, did you have fun with your afternoon in the city? How was your facial? My face always hurts after a facial LOL.

Hello to everyone I missed!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #27  

Morning!!

Angela -- I do hate it when we have to "hop to" because a student messed something up... good luck!

Debbie -- Take it easy while you have the chance!

Laura -- The facial was only okay, but I had a great visit with my friend!

I am eating so many tomatoes and cucumbers -- the garden just keeps spitting them out!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #28  
Vortex

Laura: How do you do your counting? I used to use Fitday, but have switched over to Sparkpeople, because they include a crowd-sourced component in their database. In other words, if someone else on the system has entered nutritional info for Tandoori chicken or some other restaurant dish, you can access it. Now, of course, that means you're trusting other users, but it also means that if someone else lives in an area with restaurants that give them nutritional info for meals that I have to guess at, I can guess more accurately--which makes me feel more comfortable eating out

Heather: garden sounds great!

Deb: Hang in there! I hope you're right, and this one will heal faster.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Just a quick drive by - all is great here! Even cooled off - today it's only 92 - get the winter coats out.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #30  
*Amat Victoria Curam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
singe- Im working my way off cafinated coffee.Im using up mine by adding in a can of decaf making it half and half.I will slowly add in more decaf till im on all decaf.
I never thought of this, I'm in the right place to hear ideas I'd not think of myself though! Enjoy your first week back to work on Monday, I officially start on the 22nd for preservice, although I'm applying for different jobs.

Feel better soon, it really is hard not to snack from boredom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Singe, you are doing great on your weight loss journey! I love laughing cow cheese. (not so much the WW copy, since where I live they only have the plain flavor of the WW copy and they have many flavors of laughing cow)
Yes, I've been the same weight now for 3 days so I declare the first week a victory! I've lost some focus the past two days, stayed OP but there's so much going on with me the stress makes it more difficult. Hopefully I'll pick the right position for me, there are two more I'm interested in. I've decided to put off finishing grad school until winter quarter possibly, I think a new job plus that type of change would be a bit much for me.

I bought more of the WW flavors..what's funny is on LC cheese I only really liked the original most. Palates are funny things, aren't they!

In addition to olives I like sauerkraut sometimes to zing my tastebuds when I might be craving sweets or something similar. I think the sodium content is pretty high but vinegar or acidic things break that cycle for me and I don't eat a lot. Lime or lemon in a drink is the same.

Tomorrow I'm going to the beach and giving away all the rolls and breads I no longer want to the geese and seabirds, and taking some pictures. It's a treat to myself for a successful first week

Have a successful day, all you ladies!
Closed Thread