Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 292/268/140

Height: 5'7

Default Issues... (Isshoes?)

Hi everyone.
I thought to write about something that has always been a source of problems from me: FOOTWEAR.

I am currently living in Manila, Philippines and footwear has always been difficult to shop for. The average female shoe size is 5-6 narrow. Me? I am a size 8 1/2 wide. I always have to buy the more expensive and imported brands just because they are the only ones that fit. It is extremely frustrating.

I recently bought a pair of running shoes to use for the gym. It fits well and I've used it on several occasions walking around the mall... no problem.
Today however I used it while i did a 45 minute walk on the treadmill and I got blisters on the top of my 2 outer toes. I really would have wanted to do an hour but the blisters were becoming really uncomfortable. I was wearing thick cotton socks... the shoe fits well so I am just stumped as to why I got blisters. (the thing is... it's happened before as well with other shoes.. new or not)
I don't want this to be a deterrent from me using the treadmill because that's what I really like as far as exercising goes.
My trainer says it must be because of how I walk or how my foot lands but.. I can't walk another way.

Does anyone have the same problem?
iamworthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #2  

Hi iam,
I walk barefoot in my pool up to an hour at a time and the skin underneath of my big toes starts to split. I found a waterproof medical tape and just wrapped each toe and it did the trick. You might try wrapping each toe, it might help.

Learn
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #3  

Thanks for the tip learn!
I will do what you suggest.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #4  

Iam,
Just a quick tip also. If you have blisters or any open sores or rawness already don't put the tape directly on the skin. Maybe try a band-aid or a small piece of moleskin to pad it first.

Learn
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #5  

Hi Learn!

I went to the gym this morning. I taped my toes individually (the last 2 digits on each foot) with leukoplast medical tape.
I would say it worked like a charm. No pain, no discomfort and no new blisters! Thank you so much.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #6  

Your welcome. Glad I could help!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 320.6/314.5/299 for now

Height: 5'9''

Hi!

I just got new shoes too, and I mentioned the blistering to the sales rep ("I think my feet are sensitive", I said ). He said that cotton socks might be the problem, and after working out for a week now with new shoes and socks without cotton... no blisters.
xxxlwld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #8  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Really, they don't carry 8.5 regularly in the Phillpines? Crazy. I would not last there, I wear 10-11. Maybe you can order some shoes online that would work for you? Or if you have a friend from the states that can send you a pair.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I have heard that to break in shoes you should wear a few pairs of socks and wear them around the house (obviously you should wait till those blisters heal and only wear them for brief periods to avoid causing more blisters). I have never tried it but others have claimed that it works.
And, blisters on your feet suck. I took a one hour walk in sandals and now have two medium-sized blisters on my feet. Poop.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Good sneakers do not need to be "broken in." Wear wicking athletic socks to get moisture out of there. Bodyglide your feet if you have sensitive bits. But check your feet size in the shoe.

My sneaker is 1/2 size bigger than my street shoe. From your longest toe to the end of the shoe there should be one finger width of space. Your toes should wiggle freely and not feel cramped.

If problems are on the "pinkie toe" side -- perhaps you are in the wrong sneaker last. SL1 is straight, SL 2 is curved.

Try shoedog to get model ideas that take this stuff into consideration.
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...t/shoe-dog.jsp

I don't know if www.zappos.com would work for you -- they have a very good return policy.

How you lace can correct some things, but better to get the best fit from the get go because lacing can only do but so much.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/in...egoryId=690482

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-16-2011 at 11:08 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 375/187/167

i use to get burning on my soles and sometimes blisters (even at my current weight) i invested in proper athletic socks...im in australia and one pair cost me $30...they have special padding on the soles and ventilation above the toes....i never have a problem these days...but soon as i use cheaper socks i have problems again
kkazz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Another thought to throw out there: get some liner socks (you can find these in the hiking socks section of an outdoors store) to wear under your normal socks. They're often made of silk and wick moisture away from your foot, reducing rubbing and thus blisters.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote