Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #31  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Also kaplods, I usually totally like what you say but not this time.

I think the challenge of being obese is the emotional toll it takes, NOT the physical one!!! You can push your body through anything, but not if you're not in it mentally.

I do not like or agree with the mentality of "feel sorry for me, I'm fat/addicted to nicotine/drink beers for breakfast" or whatever your "poison" is. Did my parents feed me happy meals and snack food? Yes! But personally, most of the weight I gained was after I moved out!! It is MY responsibility to be accountable to and for myself. It would be ridiculous for me to ask my critical father to put weights in a backpack so he'd know how I felt at 38%fat. Because by doing this, by giving that example kaplods what you are saying is that your weight DOES define you. You are saying that carrying 200 extra pounds allows you to be deaf to would-be supporters because they "just don't know" what it's like. That's silly. Of course they don't. We all experience different seasons in life and while it helps to be able to relate via experience, the bottom line is the intent and the love a supporter can give.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

David, I would just like to say that reading your post, it's obvious you care about your friend and sincerely want to help her, but going into so much detail wasn't the best idea especially on a public forum.

However I would like to share my story with you and everyone else on this thread.

I went through a very rough time at university the combination of a very bad 'relationship' and being away from home and not having a support system around me, and falling out with my dad caused me to gain weight. I was miserable, not confident, while I had friends I didn't fully enjoy doing things with them because I was overweight, my confidence took a real battering.

Eventually after repeating the first year, due to my coursework suffering, I dropped out and moved back home. My mum has dieted, and gained weight then dieted again, and this time has successfully kept the weight off for about 4 years now. But I came home and she kept mentioning weight and weight loss, and criticizing my eating habits, until one day she sat me down and said pretty much what you did in your original post, listing all my attributes, then saying how much better I could be if I lost weight. It made me feel ashamed and embarrassed and I wondered if people were talking about me behind my back. Ultimately I dug my heels in and refused to change just because other people said I should.

In hindsight I know she was right, everything she said was right, and that if I'd just listened to her in the first place, risen above my stubborn streak and pride, I'd probably be at goal and doing all the things that I want to do. But I also realise that to lose weight successfully you have to come to the decision on your own, without other people battering you with weight loss advice or trying to hurry you along. Its a very personal and difficult experience to go through, and only the person losing weight can decide what the best decision is for them.

While your friend clearly has your support, I think you need to take a back seat and let her know your there for her what ever decision she makes regarding her weight.

While I think you haven't exactly come across well on this post it is clear to me that you do love and care for your friend deeply and want what is best for her, but like I said, take a back seat, let her come to you for advice and help if and when she wants it, and if she doesn't then leave her alone about it.

Wendy-please don't feel ashamed, it shouldn't have been broadcast, but we all understand how you feel, having gone through it ourselves. We are all here with sympathetic ears when you need us. I imagine most of us read it and could see our own stories in it at some stage.

I'm now losing weight for a number of reasons, health being the most important one, my family is prone to diabetes, heart disease and cancer and I can diminish the chances of developing them if I lose weight. But other reasons are my appearance, I hate the way I look now and want to feel good about myself, fitness is the other reason. I want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, go traveling, do charity work abroad and run the London marathon. I don't feel that I'm reaching my full potential at the weight I am, and 6months maybe a year of weight loss to me seems to be a fair trade to be able to chase my dreams. What I'm saying is, in a very long winded sort of a way, that you need to make the decision to lose weight based on what YOU want, and how YOU feel, and whether YOU are ready. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wendy and David haven't been back in a bit, and I'm not sure they benefit from a continued hashed out discussion of stuff that they might want to take offline.

And while everyone posting means well, I'm not sure that getting David to understand the physical or mental toll of morbid obesity is really the issue here.

So, I'm going to close the thread. As this is primarily a semi-anonymous support site, my main concern is Wendy, who is free to contact me if she wants to continue here in a more anonymous way.
Closed Thread