Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #1  
starting over again

S/C/G: 361/334/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Confusing Pants Size Chart, anyone else?

This week, I am focusing on NSV (non scale victories) and since I've lost nearly 20 lbs and a decent amount of inches, I thought I would like see if a smaller pants size fit - I was hoping to try on a 26W and maybe see how close I could get to buttoning a 24W (I barely squeezed into a 28W and had to wear it unbuttoned when I started)

I decided to hit up up Lane Bryan website sizing chart instead of going to the store because I hurt my left leg yesterday and am home bound for a day or so while the swelling goes down (I've got all my current measurements) Here a bit of their pants/bottoms chart:

SIZE WAIST LOW HIP
14 34 42
16 36 44
18 38 46
20 40 48
22 42 50
24 44 52
26 46 54
28 48 56
30 50 58
32 52 60

What is confusing me, is according to this, I shouldn't fit into my own pants! my waist for example is 55 inches down from 60! I shouldn't even be my current 28 until my waist is a 48! Was I really that much bigger than I realized and am just coasting on stretchy jeans? I haven't bought a pair of non stretchy jeans in a long time - but I can't be totally crazy because most of the people on the boards who are able to get under 300 are talking about fitting into a size 24 ?

Do these sizes seem off to anyone else?
lostbutstilltrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #2  

My measurements don't agree with the size charts either. I very rarely have success ordering on-line or from a catalog.
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Mine don't match up either. I'm not under 300 yet, but I fit comfortably in a 24. Maybe because I'm taller?? I'm pretty evenly distributed, but my waist and hips don't match what pant size I should wear from there either. I wear 22/24 in shirts and most pants and a 26 loosely in pants. And every store fits me differently, too. Have you noticed that happen?
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I think it just depends on the cut of the garmet and our body types. I never match the size charts too because I have a HUGE waist. compared to everything else. So if I buy anything that actually FITS (is not tight) in the waist. It balloons everywhere else. I am realistic about that, stretch fabric is my friend.

I live in 22 to 24 pants, and 3x (24) to 4x (26) tops if I do, 24 is loose in pants, but tight in tops... and I heart everything stretch fabric. haha
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #5  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I don't have an answer for you, but I did some checking on this today for myself. I am just now barely fitting into size 22 jeans from Old Navy (a bit stretchy, not sure they even make any other kind these days!) - they are tight, but not uncomfortable. My waist is 47.0". When I started, I was comfortably in size 26 jeans with a 52" waist. I hit size 24s comfortably with a 49" waist. None of that matches their sizing charts.

One thing I would say though for whatever brand, is think of the measurement they give for a given size as the lower end of the scale. In other words, per the LB size chart above - Size 26 should fit a 46-48" waist. Size 24 should fit a 44-46" waist.

Of course, even that interpretation still doesn't quite fit with my experience. At 47" now, my LB Size 26 (non-stretchy) skirts are so large I'm going to have to stop wearing them soon. So I think there is some size inflation going on too.

I think your best bet is going to the store and trying them on. Or (as I did!), if you want order online, buy a pair several sizes down and keep trying them on every week or every other week. I bought these 22s in March (maybe?), knowing they were way too small - and at first they wouldn't go up over my hips, and now I'm wearing them. Very inspiring. Can't wait for them to become loose!

Best of luck!
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #6  
Divine

S/C/G: 375/290/175

Height: 5 foot 0 inches

All I know is I go to the store and go by the sizes that say 1x 2x 3x 4x. I was in a 4x but now I am starting to fit into 3x. When I wear my stretch jeans they are about a 30/32 and when I was at my highest weight I couldn't wear them. But they fit comfortably now. Usually I have to go to a fitting room because some clothes just has to be put on because they vary in cuts and design.

Lynn
lynnie923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #7  
starting over again

thanks everyone! I'm glad its not just me, I was starting to think I was shaped really weird - I think I'll use what worked for you guys as a guide and then head to the store fitting room to try some things on.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Ok so heres the scoop. LANE BRYANT SIZES ARE SOOOOOO FAR OFF! I have no clue what my measurements are but here is my little add in.

I have lost 32lbs and was in a size 26 at land bryant. Well they now fall off me. Ok so secretly I love it but its just plain annoying. I kept my size 24's from before I bought my 26's and guess what they are super tight! AGGGGG... I would assume that if one size up is falling off one size down should fit well right? NOPE.... Apparently my body is reshaping cuz man am I in the middle. If there was a size 25 I think I would be there.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I have come to the conclusion that truly crazy people make the size charts for all clothes manufacturers. It makes me nuts when I see posts where people say they were in a size "whatever" and I can see that they weigh "something" and when I was that weight (height taken into consideration) I was NO WHERE NEAR that size! Clothing manufacturers should have to follow some sort of standard!

I always wore "Basic Edition" jeans and khakis from Kmart, or Lee Riders. They seemed to be sized pretty much the same. At 252 pounds, size 22 was comfortable. Now at 187 pounds, I wear a size 16. This seems pretty normal, if there is such a thing as normal in jeans sizes. But I read posts from others that are about 5' 7" or so and at 275 they say they wear a size 20. I'd probably wear an 8 by now! I want to find out what brand they wear! I'll buy them even if they are ugly just to say such a small size fits. The clothing people have us at their mercy - LOL.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #10  
Committed to this

S/C/G: 285/268/135

I also have to take into consideration the cut of the pants. A lot of pants sit at the hip, not the waist, so that affects my sizing, since I am over 40 and have a huge amount of fat in my stomach. I notice that the LB models are all well proportioned. I am an orange on tooth picks, and have to buy accordingly.

I have noticed that in a lot of brands there is "vanity" sizing, where what used to be an 18 is now a 14 and what used to be a 10 is now a 6, etc.... I also think that plus sized stores think we are all amazon women. I always have to buy women's petites because the regulars are 32 inch inseams. But women's petites are proportioned differently too, so its always a guess if they will fit in the stomach.

Lane Bryant never fits me right. They have so many cuts and not of them fit me right.
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #11  
starting over again

I feel like I"m never gonna get into a 26s ...

You know, pants are a very frustrating thing. if it wasn't confusing enough that the pants are sized different than they used to be and vary by manufacturer - and the size charts are in no way related to actual sizes, but apparently my shape is changing and that is causing me problems too.

When my 28s started falling off I was getting ready to ignore the charts and go to the store and try some 26s on - only low and behold, my 28s have become tight again! WTF?

I thought at first it was water weight or something, but I got out my tape measure and I am smaller! and then I figured it out ... that lower stomach flap has gotten smaller, but it's droopy teardrop shaped - biggest at the end - well its shrinking (which is great) but because it no longer droops as low (used to almost cover the groin area) the largest part has moved up to near my waist! and so my pants look better, my stomach is flattening nicely, but I am gonna be in the 28s for awhile I guess......... sigh!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #12  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
I also have to take into consideration the cut of the pants. A lot of pants sit at the hip, not the waist, so that affects my sizing, since I am over 40 and have a huge amount of fat in my stomach. I notice that the LB models are all well proportioned. I am an orange on tooth picks, and have to buy accordingly.

I have noticed that in a lot of brands there is "vanity" sizing, where what used to be an 18 is now a 14 and what used to be a 10 is now a 6, etc.... I also think that plus sized stores think we are all amazon women. I always have to buy women's petites because the regulars are 32 inch inseams. But women's petites are proportioned differently too, so its always a guess if they will fit in the stomach.

Lane Bryant never fits me right. They have so many cuts and not of them fit me right.

ha, orange on toothpicks! We are sisters!! lol! And I have had the same experience with LB. I was excited a couple of years ago when they went to the different fits and one of them was supposed to be for women who were more straight up and down. I figured that would work because my hips are small and my waist is big. Nope, still way too big in the hips and everywhere else if the waist fit, way too tight in the waist if they fit every where else.

As someone else said, knits are my friend - all of my pants are yoga pants and other stretchy ones with elastic waists.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #13  
Committed to this

S/C/G: 285/268/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
ha, orange on toothpicks! We are sisters!! lol! And I have had the same experience with LB. I was excited a couple of years ago when they went to the different fits and one of them was supposed to be for women who were more straight up and down. I figured that would work because my hips are small and my waist is big. Nope, still way too big in the hips and everywhere else if the waist fit, way too tight in the waist if they fit every where else.

As someone else said, knits are my friend - all of my pants are yoga pants and other stretchy ones with elastic waists.
Talbots women's petite jeans and pants fit me really well, but I have to get them on sale because the full price is outrageous.

They are having a big sale online right now and I was able to get a few pairs that are now in a good price range.
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 330 / 320 / 175

Height: 5'11

I agree... sizing is confusing. With tops, depending on the fabric, I've worn anywhere from a 1x - 3x (usually 2x but 3x when it comes to cotton t's) .. and usually a 24 in bottoms, if they have stretch. But I have a pair of capris from a different store and they're a 26 (and tight). So it all depends.

I see a few of you ladies commenting on petite. I'm quite the other problem, Plus and Tall! Only one store in my Canadian province sells this selection because other stores have given it up

Best of luck to you all !!
Crazy Newfie Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, it spot on for me -- a 26.

Though personally I think a lot of people like to wear their jeans tighter than i do -- I like a relaxed boot cut leg.

And the rule of thumb in plus size is about 20 lbs between sizes because it is usually 2 inches between sizes.

Once you get down to 12's or 14's then it is 1" between sizes and more like 10 lbs.

But the true test is to ball park the sizes according to the charts, grab a mess of them, then try them on to narrow it down. I go both one up and one down.

I never take it as there being anything wrong with my body. I take it more like -- Can't expect exact custom fit from off the rack!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote