Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #1  
Every moment is a choice

S/C/G: 450/tracker/??

Height: 5' 6"

Default clothing advice

Okay here's the funny part: I added box pleats in the front of some pants and extra elastic in the backs of others, but too big again... so when I walk the pants drop and take my undies with them but when I hitch the pants up the undies don't come up too. There is a magic line on my backside - if the undies get below that point, it's all over and it's a long walk from my desk to the ladies room pretending my undies are NOT hanging around my thighs and uncomfortably bunched up on the crotch of my jeans.

So I seriously need new clothes. The dilemma is that I'm going to lose more weight and probably several sizes over the next few months and I don't have much money. Buying a new wardrobe every time I lose a size isn't even a remote possibility, but I need to wear decent clothes to work 5 days a week. I can manage to buy new under thingies which fit, but do you have any suggestions for pants and shirts that will be very forgiving and last across several sizes? Dresses and skirts don't work for me...
Snaplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Thift shop, thrift shop, thrift shop! Takes some time to go through the racks, but you can find some great things for cheap! Also, as I lost, I invested in just a few staples (one pair of black slacks, one pair of good jeans, whatever works for you) in new sizes and just wore them over and over and over! Shirts are more forgiving (and easier to find at the thrift store), so use shirts to mix up the look. Don't know the dress code where you work, but cardigans last over more sizes than suit jackets. That's my advice -- I'm making use of lots of skirts and dresses because they are WAY more forgiving in sizing than pants, but you indicated that wouldn't work for you. Good luck and congrats on the loss!! Oh, and you'll be way more comfortable once you get new undergarments -- makes a huge difference in comfort level!!

Last edited by Jen516; 06-11-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #3  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

It's worth it to at least buy new undies, since that's half the problem here! And I agree about thrift shopping. What's your alternative? Just let things fall off you until you hit goal, or do you have smaller things tucked away in your closet that don't fit yet?

If you don't have anything you can wear soon, then it's worth it to go find a few new staples, and at the very least, go out today and treat yourself to buying a new size of undies!!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #4  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Invest in good underwear and at least one good pair of pants that fit. You will feel amazing and it will help continue to motivate you! I kept wearing my size 32s until they literally like you were forcing me to go to great lengths to pull them up, then to my shock I had kind of skipped over 30 and 28 and gone straight to 26. I was very slow to change sizes downward most of my journey until I got to 20 then, as soon as 18s fit, I was in them. Same for 16s and 14s. I'm back up in the 18s now but I can actually get into some of my 16s and I can't WAIT to be back in them full-time, headed for 12!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #5  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I would do some mix and match for work: ie thin, flowing black pants that can double for office or night, a white button down, short sleeve shirt with some cheap colorful cami's that can double, etc. Fashion Bug is great and they always have coupons and you can always check for codes if you're shopping online. Plus there are always discount racks at that and other stores!
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I bought all my clothes at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers and Consignment shops, while I was on my way down. You have to go quite often and do some searching, but it will pay off. I got a lot of compliments on my thrift store buys. Of course I didn't tell where I got them.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #7  
Every moment is a choice

S/C/G: 450/tracker/??

Height: 5' 6"

Right now I'm transitioning from 6x to 5x and those big big sizes just don't seem to be in the thrift stores, at least not the ones I've checked out so far, but I'll go back and check again :-)

I think I'll try to build a few outfits around just two pair of pants and just do lots of laundry :-) I'm off now to buy those under thingies.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!
Snaplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

I would buy 2 shirts and a new pair of pants for each size on clearance if I could find them until I started getting in to sizes that were in thrift stores. Good luck!
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #9  
Divine

S/C/G: 375/290/175

Height: 5 foot 0 inches

I buy pants that have drawstring so I can tighten them as lose. I did however just but new undergarments. No more panties falling for me at the moment.
lynnie923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #10  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Thrift stores aren't very friendly (around here anyway) for sizes over 3x. Try ebay - be careful about sizing, and look for the cheaper buys so you're not overspending.

If you have a bariatric support group near you, they sometimes do a clothing swap. It may be worth it to see if you can talk to one of the support staff members to see if they have any suggestions - they can pass it on that you're in need of clothing and people are usually very generous.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 330 / 320 / 175

Height: 5'11

I also shop at Addition-elle and/or Penningtons. If you have one of those in your area, good place to try. If you hit up the sale racks, you get awesome deals. I bought a new summer jacket 2 days ago and it cost me $15. Definitely worth a shot. Don't know if i can post links, but if you want it, google it or pm me

Jen
Crazy Newfie Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Since you can sew -- what about making up a mess of skirts? Why don't they work for you? I prefer skirts and dresses in this heat and I just put on some body glide on the thighs to deal with the rub.

I's a whole lot easier to go back into the casing and sew up the elastic tighter than to be redoing box pants and things on pants. Or don't even bother -- make button holes in the casing so a drawstring can be put in there instead of the elastic.

What about ebay plus size lots? Maybe you can sell YOURS and then make enough to buy another person's lot?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-22-2011 at 09:59 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote