Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #1  

Default Exercise options?

I already know about the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs, but what other exercise have you guys found that is easy enough to do at a higher weight? I'm looking for relatively low impact (my knees are pretty bad at this weight), but enough to get my heart rate up.

I would love to be able to do Zumba or P90X or Yoga Booty Ballet, things like that, but I don't want to spend the $$$ on them only to get discouraged if/when I find out that they're too hard for me to do right now.
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I don't know much about P90X sounds like you want to dance from the ZUmba and the Yoga Booty Ballet.

Here's my thing, I modify modify modify... and I don't berate myself for it. If it HURTS too much to do something i don't do it. I substitude toe taps, or marching in place, or knee-ups for some of the jumping low impact cardio still raises your heart rate.

Even Just making a "dance" playlist and being sure to include moves that get your heart pumping for 10 minute sessions can help. Use LOTS of arm movement, keeping your arms moving above your heart adds a lot more cardio benefit to the excercises you are doing.

The "Biggest Loser" DVD's are pretty straight forward, I don't know if you've looked at those, i have one that has options so you can start with the really easy, really low impact combination of excercises to get you started and use to excercising.

I take 3x a week aerobic classes, and started when I was heavy and out of shape, just going and making sure I kept moving evne if I couldn't do the moves helped. I have bad knees and modify all the jumpy parts to suit me sure I am not getting quite as much of a cardio bomb as everyone else but i'm still elevating my heart rate and thats good.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Walking (no DVD required) alone is a great no impact exercise. I'm fortunate enough to have a treadmill so I walk each and every day. But, outdoors is great, especially with the weather warming up.

If you're interested in yoga, I used "Yoga Just My Size with Megan Garcia". It's a very simple, beginners yoga DVD.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #4  
Losing 240lbs

S/C/G: 380/363/140

Height: 5'7

Have you tried a stationary recumbent bike? I use that and water aerobics.
CountingDownPounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #5  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I have some Zumba videos on my youtube account, it's instructors recording their classes. I have to modify many of them, it gets easier as I go though. I have something like 70 videos and they are all over you tube. If you can watch them on your computer- I have a smallish room so instead of moving all over I just keep moving. If you are interested give it a try. There are so many on you tube and I have some from quite a few instructors that I like, that are all energized and smiling and makes me feel like I'm a part of the class lol.

You can go to you tube and type in "workout plox playlist" Mine will be the first one. Also, I started the 30 day shred, I do that online too. I modified most the moves- can't do push ups because of a cyst in my wrist so I jog in place instead, the jumping jacks and jump rope I just bend my knees and do the arm movements.

Anything works, as long as YOU like it. And, if it's too hard change it and one day you'll start doing the moves better, and then better and it'll be wonderful!

I have to do something fun, or I wont stick to it. I switch between zumba, walking, using the elliptical machine, 30 day shred, and now getting turbo fire. I may not be able to do everything like all those girls, and I may take breaks. But, I'm trying and one day I will do it like them.

Be careful with those knees! That's a good choice. Instead of any jumping just bend, that's what I did. And there is nothing wrong with it.

You can do any video and change it in any way you want to, you know your body and what you can handle.

Whatever you do, even modifying it- you'll be amazed at how well your body adjusts over a 30 day time.

Last edited by ButterCup85; 05-16-2011 at 10:01 AM.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I will echo the modify comments. Don't jump, do what you can and have fun. If you are worried whether you are working hard enough you can invest in a heart rate monitor to gauge your exertion.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote