Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/314/150

Height: 5'4

Default Young and Heavy

I've been heavy most of my life for my 5'4 stature but I've also been active-so being my height and 314lbs doesn't feel like much until stairs are involved lol. I also do not look over 240lbs as my doctor was shocked to point out last week/my first Doctor visit in 5 yrs.
He says thats one of the biggest issues for you-your used to the weight and some activity and your energetic so when you try to do things (i.e. softball) you wear yourself out cause you act like a lighter more fit younger you.
I am 23 yrs old as of February 2011-I was up to 380 in December 2008 so I've mad a little progress but still-I work too much and when I'm not working I found myself sleeping a lot. If I wasn't doing that I would spend time with my husband whom has a different work schedule then me.
The doctor says I have a thyroid issue and fatty liver due to my weight. I have depression of course given my family history (see blog) he says that with meds will help but a blog or support system would also be beneficial since as people we tend to write more honestly then speak. So thankfully this site is here, so far I love it and in my blog I talk about everything. I don't see myself as "boohoo I had such horrible things happen to me" I see that I have experienced things that other people in the world feel alone about.
I am also here for friends in similar situations its not too common to find someone as young as me over 300lbs even here in Texas-but I hope with this site I can make friends and together we can accomplish more than we hoped for.
Thank you for taking your time to read this-my apologies if it's too long =)
HeatFin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #2  
Live, Laugh, Learn

S/C/G: 365/339/150-175

Height: 5'9"

Hi. It's great to hear that your finding this site useful! I've been sort of absent for a while (but I'm back & ready to go again!), but I really find this site helpful. You sound a lot like me - I'm almost 23 (will be on the first of June), and I now weight 348lbs (I started at 365). It is hard, especially since, as you pointed out, it's rare to find people our age in the same/simliar situations. But, good luck to you & congratulations on the weight you've already lost. Keep up the great work!

-Kristy-
Kristy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #3  

Thanks!! One thing that has helped me a LOT has been cutting sodas and sodium in general-I probably lost 50lbs just from that.Alone good luck to you as well!!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #4  
Live, Laugh, Learn

S/C/G: 365/339/150-175

Height: 5'9"

You're welcome!
Soda was the first thing I cut out, it's done wonders & I feel better in general!

Thanks!
Kristy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #5  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I hear ya, I am 21 and was 320 ls when I started, I am 5'10" so a bit taller than you. I have pcos, so I am actually designed to hold fat...makes losing weight TORTURE! Like you, I am relatively active. It takes more for us to get our metabolism going since we are used to moving! You can do it though! I have faith! We can do it!!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

@Heatfinn, I think being active and our size is a lot more regular than people would expect. I mean I haven't lost a lot of weight but I am a LOT more active than I use to be, a lot stronger. I figure thats better than no improvements in my health, if I could get my food issues under control I'm sure I'd lose again.

I was around your size at your age. I'm a little older and a little bigger now so I can definitely empathize where you are coming from.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 335/313.6

well i am 32, but back 10 years ago i was 22 and almost as heavy as i am now.. i am your same height, and right around your same weight, but unlike you i feel like i look twice the weight i am. this is a great group to belong to, and yes like other people suggested getting rid of soda should be one of the first things a person does when wanting to start a program..
so you have lost 66 pounds, what did you do to lose that?
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 352/343/200

Height: 6 feet

I understand what you're going through. I'm 26 and currently weigh 325 lbs, been heavy all my life and even with a fairly active lifestyle I still hold weight. I have PCOS too, like SMSDREAMER and it makes it incredibly hard to lose weight.

It's hard to find real support for this kind of weight loss out in the "real world" because, like you said, it's really hard to find people who have the same problem as you. Even the friends we have who want to lose weight generally only have 20-50 lbs they'd like to lose, they don't understand how daunting it can be needing to drop 100+ lbs.

It's awesome that you've already dropped almost 70 lbs! Good luck and keep doing whatever you did to accomplish that, because that's huge!
BattleOfTheBulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #9  
Divine

S/C/G: 375/290/175

Height: 5 foot 0 inches

Welcome! Cutting soda was the first thing I did. I am on average between 333-325 right now and I am 35 I am the smaller now then what I was 8 months ago. Smaller then what I have been for five years. I know the struggles but you have lost already. Keep it up.

Lynn
lynnie923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #10  

sorry for the late response ladies! Lets see-I cut out soda and went straight water or gatorade if i was walking a lot. i also stopped eating after 7pm thats still an issue because of work but i wont eat 5 hrs before bed that helps a LOT
whats this PCOS? another small step is i stretch EVERY morning just stretch my limbs and joints it gives a crazy ammount of energy. now i gotta work on eating more veggies and sleeping more normal lol
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #11  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

pcos is polyscystic ovarian syndrome or disorder, disease take your pick. it is a whole host of hormonal /endocrine problems often accompanied by insulin resistance. Women with pcos most commonly have cysts on the ovaries, excessweight, hirutism [(sp?) excess hair] amhenorhea [(sp?) lack of ovulation/period] acne, depression and a whole host of other symptoms. Because of the insulin resistance women with pcos often dont digest carbs and sugars right, the insulin then keeps these women (most of the time) from losing weight because every bit of carb or sugar gets stored as fat instead of used.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

I'll be 22 and I started at 333 I also have PCOS. Anyone know how to start a group?
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #13  
this is my war baby

Hi HeatFin, I've just joined with the same hope to find a support system and make friends who are going through the same thing. I'm finding it great so far, everyone is really supportive Congratulations on the amazing weight loss so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleOfTheBulge View Post
I understand what you're going through. I'm 26 and currently weigh 325 lbs, been heavy all my life and even with a fairly active lifestyle I still hold weight. I have PCOS too, like SMSDREAMER and it makes it incredibly hard to lose weight.
You could be describing me! My PCOS is currently undiagnosed, but I know that's what I have. I've been trying to get a diagnosis for the last few years. I have a doctor's appointment soon, so I'm hoping they will listen to me this time.

AbbySue, I agree!
miss ann thrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #14  
this is my war baby

Hi HeatFin, I've just joined with the same hope to find a support system and make friends who are going through the same thing. I'm finding it great so far, everyone is really supportive Congratulations on the amazing weight loss so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleOfTheBulge View Post
You could be describing me! My PCOS is currently undiagnosed, but I know that's what I have. I've been trying to get a diagnosis for the last few years. I have a doctor's appointment soon, so I'm hoping they will listen to me this time.

AbbySue, I agree!
miss ann thrope is offline   Reply With Quote