Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Default Its possible to eat veggies and like them!!!

Up until the last week I have considered myself a veggie hater. When I was thinking about all of my failed lifestyle changes in the past I decided to make a list as why it was hard to stick to. The main thing with all of the various plans I tried( atkins, ww, calorie counting, slim fast, diet pills, etc.) is I never tried to broaden my horizons. I knew what I liked and what I didn't. So I would spend my alloted calories or carbs on something that was not nutritious but I would make sure I still stuck to plan. So yes, I saw results but I never got to feel that energy you feel when you are eating clean food that is good for you. I was always somewhat hungry and then I would get bored really quick with the same things over and over. I realized that if I want to live my life this way that I have to have more than 5 go-to recipes. That I have to enjoy the things that I am eating instead of just choking them down. So this time I went through a lot of the recipes on here and made my own book, I looked up a bunch on different vegetables and the way you can prepare them. And today is the 5th day that I have gotten at least 2 servings of veggies a day. And I enjoy the food that I am eating. I am preparing things in healthy ways so I can still eat and not feel like I am going to have to restrict myself from eating good the rest of my life.

Anyways, I just wanted to get that out there. I am no longer a veggie hater and if I have my way I am on the fast track to being a veggie- lover!! WOOT WOOT
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Congratulations, Abbysue! Welcome to the veggie lovers' club!

I grew up eating veggies. That doesn't mean I liked them. There just was no other option with an authoritarian ruling the kitchen. I didn't learn to love them for many, many years. I don't know if my tastebuds died off or I just got more mature (like you), but I gotta have my veggies all the time now. And when I don't eat clean, I feel pretty yucky.

You're an adventurous eater now! That's cool! There are so many veggies in the world, far beyond iceberg lettuce, carrots and peas. The more you try, the more amazed you'll be at the variety out there. Don't give up on a vegetable if it doesn't taste good the first, second or even third time. Try cooking them different ways.

Of course, that rule has never applied to okra. Okra should be banned from the planet!

(See, it's even okay not to like something.)
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #3  
Lani Loves Lettuce!

S/C/G: 381/361/351

Hey Abbysue! I'm having the opposite issue. I have always loved veg, I eat it for 3 meals a day (yes even breakfast!) The problem is, I think I've over done it with spinich and cabbage. I'm having troubles choking them down at meal times (I eat spinich for at least two meals per day)

So I shall take a page out of your book and broaden my veggie horizons. I try and pick the most nutritionally dense veggies available with minimal caloric load. I'm going to have to go back to peas, corn and carrot (all of which I love but are quite starchy) just to keep myself sane. Thanks for the lighbulb moment
Focused Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 460/411/150 24" lost!

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused Lani View Post
Hey Abbysue! I'm having the opposite issue. I have always loved veg, I eat it for 3 meals a day (yes even breakfast!) The problem is, I think I've over done it with spinich and cabbage. I'm having troubles choking them down at meal times (I eat spinich for at least two meals per day)

So I shall take a page out of your book and broaden my veggie horizons. I try and pick the most nutritionally dense veggies available with minimal caloric load. I'm going to have to go back to peas, corn and carrot (all of which I love but are quite starchy) just to keep myself sane. Thanks for the lighbulb moment
Have you tried leeks, bok choy, or zucchini? Turnips are good cut like french fries and baked until crisp. I've heard kale is good baked like potato chips. Asparagus is my new go-to vegetable. Steam it and squirt a little lemon and a dash of sea salt. Broccoli and caulifower are good this way too. Most veggies are good in a stirfry as well. Add some low sodium soy sauce, garlic, and fresh grated ginger. Spinach is great if you add it to stirfry late. Or even sautee some mushrooms and garlic then add some spinach last minute until it wilts. Okra, squash, and green tomatoes are very good sauteed or stirfried. I do them without the breading.

Good luck with your veggies! I hope you are able to find some good variety!
NannyOgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 381/370/150

Height: 5'0

I had to read this thread because I thought it was some kind of crazy conspiracy theory! Veggies? Good? What?! lol

Seriously though.. this time around, I've also decided it was time to make peace (peas?) with veggies and have been experimenting with various recipes and greens to come up with a handful of palatable side dishes.

So far - asparagus, broccoli, zucchini and brussels sprouts - not as horrible as I had imagined! It's kind of exciting, like a whole new world of food stuffs to play with. Healthy, wholesome ones at that.
Corren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #6  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

I LOVE veggies!! What are ones you like or some you want to like/try? I know a bazillion ways to make veggies good
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #7  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i like to take zucchini, carrots, onions, green peppers, garlic (and whatever seasonal fresh veggie is available) chop them all up in a casserole dish, sprinkle a little olive oil over the top, add a couple seasonings (most commonly italian seasoning and a little parm) and stick it in the oven. roasted veggies are so so so good.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #8  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

I'm a veggie tolerator (except for fried okra! YUM!).

But I'm trying. I don't eat any dressings on my salads now. And I'm eating more fruits and veggies.

Where are y'all getting your veggie recipes/ideas from?
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm a world traveler, so I've tried veggies from a lot of places. I'm also a resident of Central California, which is like Veggie Central. I pick up stuff at farmer's markets. Our produce sections at the local markets are pretty good. Whole Foods has a lovely selection. I also like going to the Asian markets in my area. And I grow stuff in my backyard.

I went to Arkansas a few times and was coerced into trying fried okra once. Still didn't care for it!

When veggies are battered and fried, do they still count as healthy?

The other night I did a bit of housekeeping in the fridge and pulled out veggies that were still good but needed to be cooked. I chopped up onions and garlic, eggplant, zucchini and patty pan squash, mushrooms and sweet peppers. I tossed them with a little olive oil and salt and threw them in a shallow pan to roast for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. They were awesome served over baked polenta and topped with a little shaved Parmesan. The kids ate them too!

Tonight I'm braising chopped kale with onions and garlic and a little chicken broth. Serving it with turkey tenderloin and brown rice pilaf. I haven't met any greens I didn't like.

My mom used to make me eat dandelion greens when I was young. Absolutely hated them back then. But I love them now, with olive oil and lemon juice. I could eat plates full!

Last edited by geoblewis; 04-19-2011 at 10:46 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I love lots of veggies, always have, not just the sweet ones like corn & carrots. I like crunch, cauliflower, and celery and cucumber (maybe I like things that start with a c?) I'll even eat spinach raw without dressing sometimes. {note to self to pack that for lunch tomorrow so I don't skip lunch!}

My problem is that I just eat too much of everything! I have issues with moderation. Now I'm craving brussel sprouts
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #11  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

chickpea stew: saute very lightly sliced carrot, celery, onion, bell pepper, sliced ginger, and minced garlic; add canned tomatoes, chickpeas, powdered ginger, black pepper, and a pinch of cinnamon.

no-fat stirfry: I buy frozen "stirfry" veggies and add fresh snowpea pods and/or raw broccoli slaw when they have it at the grocery store; pour about a quarter inch of veggie broth into large sauce pan, season the broth according to your tastes (for me it's ginger, pepper, and garlic) dump in the veggies and cook on high heat 6-7 minutes, adding broth if it all cooks off

hot squash: slice yellow squash, zucchini, and carrots; saute quickly and lightly with garlic about one minute, then sprinkle with a quarter teaspoon or so of red pepper flakes, cook to your desired softness, and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt

my new favorite salad: romaine, sliced roasted red pepper (from a jar), fresh orange, yellow, or green bell pepper, sliced baby cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes, green olives stuffed with garlic, sprinkle of feta

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 04-21-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #12  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

ooo. i'm coming to eat with you, vortex!
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #13  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

c'mon over, piper... writing that made me hungry for stir fry...
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote