Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #1  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Default A&E SHOW HEAVY Sharon Bowman

love this show....love this inspirational lady on this weeks episode..

http://www.sharonbowman.org/
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #2  
Pecking off pounds

S/C/G: 335/Ticker/170

Height: 6'5

Thought about taking a look at that show but what with the people living in the livingroom i don't much have the TV for me. I'll take a look at it after the 3rd after they move out... What time is it on at and what day?

Edit: I'm a idiot... We have DVR... So yea, what time and day?

Last edited by Mistycrow; 01-31-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Too add info
Mistycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Wow, this week's episode definitely had me bawling like a baby. I really love this show.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #4  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I can't wait to watch the new episode - I have it on my DVR. I've cried so far at every episode, and I find it really inspiring.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #5  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmb View Post
I can't wait to watch the new episode - I have it on my DVR. I've cried so far at every episode, and I find it really inspiring.
i always watch with my hankie!! i thought i was the only cry baby (haha)
fyi....it is online too, on the A&E website..
you can find sharon and ashley part 1 here:

http://www.aetv.com/heavy/video/?bcp...d=749541695001

then you can link to all the episodes, special scenes, previews for coming weeks too!!

i love this show!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

I found this week very inspiring, and yes, watch it with a hankie!
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Sharon was very inspirational and so upbeat. She looked great at the end and was still ready to lose more!
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #8  
Feed Your Freedom

i know....what you mean lostangel....these ladies BOTH WERE SO INSPIRING...ashley has such an I CAN ATTITUDE!!! i just love her!!

and sharon, with all the sad losses....she still pushes on to do this...

THIS IS OUR YEAR!!
WE CAN ALL DO THIS!!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #9  

I know this show is supposed to be inspiring, but....

I find that the camera shots of the people struggling are more freak show types of filming. I'm not sure if I'm explaining my aversion to what is being filmed correctly. I cringe every time I see the camera focus in on the person's legs or thighs while they walk or try to exercise. I find it de-humanizing.

I find this show a lot like the Hoarder's shows: the people have problems greater than the symptoms and 6 months of intense exercise and diet (or cleaning up someone's hovel) and it doesn't really address the central problem(s). I get sad when I've watched it. Perhaps the show is pinging a brain cell in my head about something, who knows?

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #10  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

This is one weight-related show that I don't find exploitative in that way, Ratkitten, though I understand what you mean about focusing on folks' more problematic areas. For some reason, when "Heavy" does this, it "reads" more like unflinching honesty than exploitative "look at the freak!" type filming. When I look in the mirror, I look at my thighs and upper arms and think, "Yes, there's work to be done, but you need to see this clearly." I think the camera fills that role for the people on the show.

Maybe it's because they (so far) haven't shown anything too revelatory about one of the participants without later showing what has become possible for him/her now? I'm thinking of Robert whose leg leaked and made it impossible for him to swim, but as he lost weight, that cleared up and he was downright joyous about being able to get into that pool (and I don't blame him because that pool is nice ).

In the context of this show, I don't find it dehumanizing because so much else on the show is warm. The two trainers are amazing. I contrast the way they behave with what I've seen on the few bits of "TBL" I've seen and...well, there's just no comparison. I would run up mountains for either one of those folks.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #11  
Feed Your Freedom

NOLA...i agree...i love this show!!

i do understand what RATKITTEN is saying...personally, i loved the camera angles...its REALITY. The good thing about ANY show...is that we can ALL take whatever messages we can from them, HEAVY, I USED TO BE FAT, THE BIGGEST LOSER...it doesn't matter...there is GOOD IN EVERY ONE OF THOSE SHOWS!! we can find that good ...and give ourselves inspiration.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #12  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Heh, I admit I have trouble seeing the good in "TBL," but I know that some people find it motivating as well. If they do, more power to 'em--but I respond much more positively to "Heavy."

There's just one thing in each episode that makes me wonder. You know how after the first month, they go home from the resort? And they're told that if they re-gain, they'll have to be sent back there? Well...that place is so gorgeous and well-appointed that I fear I would inhale a cake just to get sent back.

Seriously, who wouldn't give an eyetooth to be at that magnificent facility with those awesome trainers? The folks on this show are getting quite a gift and it's fantastic to see that each one of them has made amazing use of that.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #13  
Feed Your Freedom

ooooo i was thinking the same thing nola....ooooo i would love to go there!!!! doesn't that garden look divine!!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #14  
Pecking off pounds

S/C/G: 335/Ticker/170

Height: 6'5

thanks for the link. I'm watching it now...
Mistycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
ooooo i was thinking the same thing nola....ooooo i would love to go there!!!! doesn't that garden look divine!!
I thoroughly agree with you there. Amazing facility. You know it can't be empty all the time. There's got to be other people and a program set up, right? Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an all-expense paid trip there? It looks so much *warmer* than where I am now. hehe.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote