Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Height: 5'8

Default How do you make it past the donut shop?

I have been counting calories and following my plan for 8 days now and I am stoked about that. For the most part I feel satisfied with what I am eating and I have been losing weight. But today I had an incredible urge to binge...I really wanted something chocolaty, so a friend gave me two bite-sized candies, it was fine and I didn't go overboard and the craving was satisfied and I moved on. Well on my way home, I drove by my fav donut place and I saw the warm light on and instantly got off of the freeway...let me tell you I can easily polish off a dozen of those suckers and want more...anyway I didn't get them, I went home and started cooking dinner. But now all I can do is think about them and I just ate dinner and I know I am not hungry, but I think I am crazy!!!
Does this ever stop? I know it has only been a week, but I don't know if I am strong enough not to binge and end up back where I started...
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #2  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

KT...i don't know the answer...but i do know this!! YOU DiD AN AMAZiNG THiNG!!!! YOU took control of your decisions. I once read somewhere that it takes willpower...well I don't necessarily agree...i have NO willpower over the things that tempt me like doughnuts do you....but I have learned it take WiLLiNGNESS....and you were willing to just drive by that doughnut place. THAT is success in my book!!! THAT is why you have already lost 10 pounds!!
how would you be feeling right now, had you stopped and had say, 1 doughnut??? 2?? 12??? I am super proud of you!! I think you are MUCH STRONGER THAN YOU REALiZE!!! Way to go!! Keep up the good work...I am right there with you...we can do this together!! pound by pound!!
have a beautiful evening.! susan
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #3  
2X4 no more

S/C/G: 320/284/140

Height: 5'4"

I drive by, stick out my tongue, shoot them the bird and scream out the window in a very loud voice "YOU AIN'T WINNING THIS TIME, SO TAKE THAT YOU SEDUCTIVELY DISGUISED POISON, THIS TIME I WIN HAHAHAHA"!!!
woodgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I sometimes find that certain foods can be triggers for me. Cakes and cookies and donuts trigger me wanting more sweet foods. However, eating dark chocolate doesn't seem to trigger me.

Maybe the candy triggered the donut desire?

When I'm doing well (and not under the spell of some sweet siren), I can say no to things like that by reminding myself that I want to lose weight more than I want the donut. But if my little happy brain neurons have been turned "on" then it is surely much more difficult to do that. It's like I can say I don't want it, but my brain has ideas of its own. Sometimes better not to get started down the path.

So, pay attention to when the cravings come, you might spot a pattern!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #5  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Yep, if you needed another reason to start tracking your food intake, figuring out potential triggers is definitely a big one. A lot of people's sugar-fuses are lit by having just a taste of something sugary.

As for how you keep driving past the donut shop without stopping, well--you DID drive past the donut shop without stopping! Give yourself at least a few back-pats for passing on donuts; it's always toughest to change habits in the beginning of something, yet you've successfully done it. You exercised that control once and that means you can keep doing it.

For me, cravings have gotten much less frequent and easier to manage than they were in my first week or so of counting calories. Once new habits and new tastes get established, everything smooths out. I don't feel as though I'm "white-knuckling" my way through each day, and on the days when I am particularly hungry, I can usually figure out why by tracking what I'd done differently so I can change it up in the future.

If you keep feeling like you need--not want, but need--stuff that you know isn't on your plan or if you're preoccupied with thoughts of your next meal, you may be hungry. What's your current plan? If you can't banish donuts from your thoughts after being on it for a couple of months, then it might be time to reassess and tweak what you're doing. Weight loss is bound to be uncomfortable sometimes, but it shouldn't be a hanging-on-by-your-fingernails, end-every-day-crying misery (and I've had my share of that kind of diet, believe me).
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Doughnuts are my downfall also. You did great! You didnt cave in and eat them! You can do this! I have found that extra carbs in my diet can trigger more cravings. I have to be really careful after eating at subway. I think its the bread that will send me searching for the cookies and cakes and pies and yes the doughnuts.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/197/160

Height: 5.2.5

Default one day at a time

Remember one leads to many more. sounds like you are doing a great job with the temtation. Keep up the good work.

Terri
terrod99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #8  
*~ZUMBA~*

S/C/G: 324/197/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgal1 View Post
I drive by, stick out my tongue, shoot them the bird and scream out the window in a very loud voice "YOU AIN'T WINNING THIS TIME, SO TAKE THAT YOU SEDUCTIVELY DISGUISED POISON, THIS TIME I WIN HAHAHAHA"!!!
Love the image I have of you doing this! I might try it next time I'm tempted!
dewdrop1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Do something extremely nice for yourself that isn't about eating something.

I mean it.

You're driving, you're alone in the car, maybe it's dark out, there's this light in the darkness, it's the light from the donut shop, there's the idea of a warm donut ... you think it's about the donut but it's also very much about a moment of respite, finding a refuge in a busy & often unkind or oblivious world.

Which is why you need to go home & not just start up household tasks, like cooking, but also take care of yourself in some small way. Teach yourself that pleasure & a moment of relaxation, away from worries & duties, does not have to be about stuffing your face & going into a sugary bliss.

There are other kinds of bliss out there.

At this time of year, I have to remind myself that I don't really like the cold & the dark, I want the equivalent of a homey warm fireside, and I can get that without really having to eat something that isn't good for me & that I will regret later on.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Love this! ^^^^^^^

Something we probably all need to remember!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #11  
Wendy

S/C/G: 355/355/145

Height: 5'2

Beyond not giving in to a craving, you also started changing a habit. Congratulations on starting down a new path!

I don't keep junk food at home, but whenever I go shopping or run errands I buy a "treat" and look forward to eating it as soon as I get home. It's a habit I have to break, but this one is going to be hard.

Driving past the doughnut shop and coming home to cook a healthy dinner, I hope, gives you a boost of confidence and pride because not everyone could have made the same the choice you did.
Wendy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

You know what I do when I'm in the car alone and start feeling like that? I break out my ipod and play my workout music. Seriously. Or you can play a CD of it. Hearing the music that I listen to when I'm exercising makes it hard for me to justify eating a bunch of crap, since when I'm usually listening to it I'm doing something GOOD for my body.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #13  
2X4 no more

S/C/G: 320/284/140

Height: 5'4"

Kristi, that is an excellent suggestion.

Also, is there another way home?
If you can't see that sign trying to suck you in, you might not be so tempted.
woodgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I think its great you did not give in to desire. I crave for a long time after I eat sugar. Maybe the candy was the trigger that almost derailed you. I know myself that I am addicted to sugar but it has taken me 56 years to figure it out. Like they say you don't offer an alcoholic a sip of alcohol if you want them to stay sober. Hang in there it will get easier if you can stick to plan.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Thanks for the support and suggestions you all have given me...there are some really great ideas that will help me and I would have never thought of them on my own. I really think that the candy did trigger the craving...I haven't had anything like that in awhile and have not wanted it, but the minute it hit my tongue, it was on!!! Honestly, I still want those donuts more than anything and I have eaten everything else to try and mask the craving today. I did come home a different way, because I know I am not that strong yet and I would have went for it...thank goodness it is raining hard out (I can't see at night in the rain and my glasses broke a few days ago) or else I probably would go back out, it's really that bad. Maybe sugar is going to have to be on my taboo list, who knows. So for now I will keep fighting the urge and try and keep myself busy making holiday cards tonight. Thanks again to everyone, the support and inspiration really helps me so much!!! Have a good night!!!
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote