Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #1  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Excuses

What kind of excuses do you all come up with...I think that is a HUGE barrier in weight loss.

Here are some of mine

I'm too tired to work out.

I'm too busy to cook...it's easier to order take out. (my biggest downfall)
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

OMG I was totally thinking about this earlier today. How many excuses I give myself, but also hear from other people.

Top ones I have used or hear.

1) no time to work out
2) I am broke, so I cannot join a gym or buy healthy food
3) I am too fat to go to the gym
4) I am not going to kill myself or make myself uncomfortable to lose weight.
5) Just a little taste will not hurt anything.

I have done the first three, my fiancee is oh so guilty of the last one and an old friend was the queen of the fourth one.

Here are my answers (to myself and anyone else who tries to use them)

1) take 30 minutes from your TV schedule and walk around the block, get a treadmill or some sort of machine and work out while watching your nightly TV, or turn off the TV and turn on the radio and dance for 30 minutes.

2)See number one. and I guarantee that the money you spend on crap can be better spent on good stuff. Lettuce and salad is just as cheap as a box of Kraft Easy Mac. (cheaper actually when you consider how many meals are in a box of Mac n Cheese and how many are in salad stuffs)

3) So do not go to the gym, see number one and when you feel comfortable enough to go...go.

4) because being fat is not killing you, and your aching feet, knees, lungs, and the pants that are squeezing the life out of you is OH so Comfortable. Lets not even talk about how comfortable those restaurant booths, airline seats and movie theater seats are.

5) "A little taste" is what got us to 300 lbs.

A little soap boxy maybe but really. I think if people stop and actually THINK about the excuses they are giving, they will sound ridiculous even to themselves.

Excuses are the crutches of the weak...as my ex husband used to say HAHAHA
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #3  
Marianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylioness View Post
OMG I was totally thinking about this earlier today. How many excuses I give myself, but also hear from other people.

Top ones I have used or hear.

1) no time to work out
2) I am broke, so I cannot join a gym or buy healthy food
3) I am too fat to go to the gym
4) I am not going to kill myself or make myself uncomfortable to lose weight.
5) Just a little taste will not hurt anything.

I have done the first three, my fiancee is oh so guilty of the last one and an old friend was the queen of the fourth one.

Here are my answers (to myself and anyone else who tries to use them)

1) take 30 minutes from your TV schedule and walk around the block, get a treadmill or some sort of machine and work out while watching your nightly TV, or turn off the TV and turn on the radio and dance for 30 minutes.

2)See number one. and I guarantee that the money you spend on crap can be better spent on good stuff. Lettuce and salad is just as cheap as a box of Kraft Easy Mac. (cheaper actually when you consider how many meals are in a box of Mac n Cheese and how many are in salad stuffs)

3) So do not go to the gym, see number one and when you feel comfortable enough to go...go.

4) because being fat is not killing you, and your aching feet, knees, lungs, and the pants that are squeezing the life out of you is OH so Comfortable. Lets not even talk about how comfortable those restaurant booths, airline seats and movie theater seats are.

5) "A little taste" is what got us to 300 lbs.

A little soap boxy maybe but really. I think if people stop and actually THINK about the excuses they are giving, they will sound ridiculous even to themselves.

Excuses are the crutches of the weak...as my ex husband used to say HAHAHA
This is so 110% true. All of it. I would probably be a LOT less tired if I weighed less.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmel3283 View Post
This is so 110% true. All of it. I would probably be a LOT less tired if I weighed less.
TOTALLY.
I have only lost 20 lbs,and my starting weight is marked as a few pounds lower than I like to admit to anyone (even myself)
So while it is "only" 20 lbs, it is in fact 20lbs. Pick up four bags of flour HAHA. it is a lot not on my feet yanno?

I know I am A LOT less tired, and I sleep better. Probably why I am less tired! it sucks at first, and it is uncomfortable and icky and hard and blah blah blah. But really being fat is ten times worse. (for me anyway) so when I get down (and I do) I just get super tough with myself and stop whining and get on with it LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #5  
Marianne

Quote:
TOTALLY.
I have only lost 20 lbs,and my starting weight is marked as a few pounds lower than I like to admit to anyone (even myself)
So while it is "only" 20 lbs, it is in fact 20lbs. Pick up four bags of flour HAHA. it is a lot not on my feet yanno?

I know I am A LOT less tired, and I sleep better. Probably why I am less tired! it sucks at first, and it is uncomfortable and icky and hard and blah blah blah. But really being fat is ten times worse. (for me anyway) so when I get down (and I do) I just get super tough with myself and stop whining and get on with it LOL
I've recently developed horrendus insomnia...so if 20lbs will help me sleep...I'm ALL For it. That gives me a LOT of hope.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

GOOD. Here is some more hope for you.
My fiancee whom I absolutely love and adore, is not a small man. He has HORRIBLE apnea. Like BAD. Some nights, I promise you, I have dreamed about putting a pillow over his head and smothering him. Snores, snorts, choking, horrible. He has had this problem since birth, so it is not BECAUSE of his size (he is 6'1 and 293 and his dad makes him look small heh). Anyway it is not because of his size, but his weight for SURE makes it worse. And when I tell you that its bad, OMG I wish this forum had sound. Not kidding.

Anyway, when we first started dating, it was bad but not to the epic level of bad that it was a month ago. I think I spent more time sleeping down stairs on the couch with the four dogs snoring in the next room than I did in my own bed! We went on South Beach for the final time six weeks ago. I say final because I am sick and tired of being fat, sick and tired...and his breathing was SO bad I was scared.

So now 20 lbs later, I can actually sleep next to him without much complaint. Which is nice, because it is getting cold and he is a cuddler! When before, I used to have to be sound asleep before him, and then keep poking him to get him to get out of my ear, or even out of my general direction....now i can sleep next to him. Is nice and I do not worry QUITE so much.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #7  
Marianne

Quote:
GOOD. Here is some more hope for you.
My fiancee whom I absolutely love and adore, is not a small man. He has HORRIBLE apnea. Like BAD. Some nights, I promise you, I have dreamed about putting a pillow over his head and smothering him. Snores, snorts, choking, horrible. He has had this problem since birth, so it is not BECAUSE of his size (he is 6'1 and 293 and his dad makes him look small heh). Anyway it is not because of his size, but his weight for SURE makes it worse. And when I tell you that its bad, OMG I wish this forum had sound. Not kidding.

Anyway, when we first started dating, it was bad but not to the epic level of bad that it was a month ago. I think I spent more time sleeping down stairs on the couch with the four dogs snoring in the next room than I did in my own bed! We went on South Beach for the final time six weeks ago. I say final because I am sick and tired of being fat, sick and tired...and his breathing was SO bad I was scared.

So now 20 lbs later, I can actually sleep next to him without much complaint. Which is nice, because it is getting cold and he is a cuddler! When before, I used to have to be sound asleep before him, and then keep poking him to get him to get out of my ear, or even out of my general direction....now i can sleep next to him. Is nice and I do not worry QUITE so much.
I fortunately don't have the apnea...although I suspect my husband does...what you described...is my life. Part of my problem sleeping is his snoring. I dunno...I just can't sleep. I can't get comfortable, I can't stay comfortable..etc. etc.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #8  
OMW to a brand new me!

yup. I had the same issue. everything hurt, everything was just "off". once you lose some weight that goes away. At least for me it did. I noticed it almost immediately after getting rid of the carbos. In fact even now, if I splurge (like I did at a wedding the other weekend) my sleep is back to being off.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #9  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I've only lost 5 lbs in the past month. I just can't lose weight on a diet. They don't work for me.

That one always amazes me.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

My best (worst?) excuse is "it won't make enough of a difference to make up for how tired/busy/lazy I am right now... I'll do it another day when I have more time."

News flash, self, there's NEVER more time! I'm learning to just carve out the time, because it will never be convenient to get healthy!
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

My excuse for the last week has been that my workout buddy (my husband) has been sick. He has a really bad headcold and hasn't wanted to go to the gym since last Tuesday. I kept telling myself I'd just make myself go by myself but I didn't. After feeling like I was going crazy all weekend, I decided to go today right after work. I feel so much better now!
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Mine is "I'll lose weight later" or "I'll start tomorrow" Well, I guess I finally hit later!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote