Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335/T/160

Height: 5'8

Default Daily Water

I was told that you should drink half of your weight in water. That is, take your weight, divide by two, and drink that many ounces of water. That would mean I would need to drink 160 ounces a day. This is a LOT of water. I tried one day but just felt water logged. Maybe I tried to drink it too fast (I didn't want to drink a lot at night for fear that I would wake up every 2 hours...), so I tried to drink more during the day. I didn't feel well though, (thought I might throw up from it all) and I only got to about 120 ounces.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this same experience? It seems counter intuitive to me....I'm not exactly sure how drinking more water will help lost more weight? Anyone know the health aspects behind that?

My new plan is try to slooowly increase my water (not go from 60 ounces a day to 160).
redumbrella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

When I spoke to my doctor he said that that algorithm made sense, but wasn't necessarily practical for people upwards of 250lbs. We agreed that the approx. 100oz I was aiming for every day made sense... more if I'm highly active, of course.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #3  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

I try to shoot for 160 oz of water, but it's the ONLY thing I drink. I don't always make it but am happy if I have 100 or above.
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've never really worried about water. I do make sure to drink when I'm hot or exercising to stay hydrated, but that's all I do to focus on it. There's a lot of fluid in a lot of our foods, and everything else we drink.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking water!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #5  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

I found this site to be quite interesting! I do have agree with the others in that I think 100oz a day is a pretty good goal to aim for. Of course you will need more water when you exercise and things like that...

http://www.health-benefit-of-water.c...ing-water.html
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 381/tracker/175

Height: 5'9

I don't think I would be able to move if I drank half of my weight in water!!! I do a minimum of 64 ounces a day. Has anyone heard about jump starting your body in the morning by drinking a quart of warm water with lemon first thing in the morning then waiting 45 minutes to eat or drink anything else? If it might really work I can try it but that is a long time to wait for my coffee!!!!!
AmbieP is offline   Reply With Quote