Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 328/309/180

Height: 5'6"

Question Cheat/Splurge days??

I had a "splurge" day on Sunday and I don't really know if they are worth it. My husband thinks I should have a day a week where I don't have to worry about calories. Do any of you plan or allow cheat/splurge days?
pinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

I allow for splurge meals perhaps once a week. Not a whole day, and I still do count calories. And I'll eat something that I usually won't eat during the week... for example pizza, breadsticks, and soda. But I'll have it in appropriate amounts... such as no more than 2 slices. I'll know how many calories I consume but I know that one meal isn't going to make me gain back all the weight, but it's just nice to relax and have a meal like that with friends sometimes. Just don't overdo it. That's why I make it a meal rather than a whole day.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #3  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

I don't, but that's just me. I'd like to think that if I did, I'd pop right back on plan with the next meal.
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #4  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

I don't actually have certain days where I allow myself to cheat. But if I'm going out with the fam, or what have you, I don't stress about what to eat. I just try to make a healthy choice, and go on with it.

I don't think of this so much as a diet, that I can cheat on. Moreso a lifestyle, one without guilt, as long as I'm actively making the best choices in whatever situation I am in.
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #5  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

If I've plateaued, a cheat day usually causes a 1-2 lb drop within the next 48 hours.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieHollow View Post

I don't think of this so much as a diet, that I can cheat on. Moreso a lifestyle, one without guilt, as long as I'm actively making the best choices in whatever situation I am in.
This. I don't consider it "cheating" since it is already worked into my new lifestyle. One day of terrible eating didn't make me fat and unhealthy - THOUSANDS of them did.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #7  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitkristi View Post
This. I don't consider it "cheating" since it is already worked into my new lifestyle. One day of terrible eating didn't make me fat and unhealthy - THOUSANDS of them did.
Precisely. We're (or at least *I'm*) never going to be able to live a life where everyday is extremely rigid. I have to roll with life, or I don't think I'll be able to succeed. And I'm ok with it, as long as I know I'm making the best choices I can. As long as those aren't everyday choices! LOL
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 381/373/150

On the plan that I'm on (Slimming World) you can have what is called a Flexible day - you still count your "syns", but before you set off for that meal or whatever, you decide how many syns you will have... e.g., 100, so that you always remain in control.

Out of 21 meals in a week, it is only 1, and I believe that as long as you get back on track with the next meal you are okay.

A Whole day of "cheating" could ruin a week for me so I avoid it!
MrsOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 335/T/160

Height: 5'8

The biggest thing (for me), is not to deprive myself of the stuff I love. If I really want some chocolate, I'll have some chocolate, but usually just a small piece. before I may have eaten an entire hershey bar - now I'll just have one of the mini ones.

For me, when I used to tell myself that something was "off limits", as soon as I was feeling low, it's the first thing I would go to. It's life, we all want to enjoy it!!!
redumbrella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

I try to avoid cheat days, or even cheat meals... if I'm in a situation where I know I'll want to go crazy I try to be proactive instead and figure what I could have and how much while still being within my calories, even if it does take me to the upper range. However, I know that for me it's almost like an addiction... so when I let myself have a small portion of my trigger foods I feel almost frenzied, like I NEED more. So I try instead to replace my trigger foods with better choices that won't make me crazy.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I don't have a cheat day where I don't count calories. I don't limit myself from what I want. Such as, if I want a coke, I will have one. However, I try not to have one more than once or twice a week. I also make sure it fits between my calories. I guess if I am going to eat something that isn't healthy, I just fit it into my calorie count. When I do have a coke, I normally do count sugar and sodium the next day and limit myself to a smaller amount than I would on a regular day. Eventually, I hope to stop drinking those cokes! I just don't want to cut them out right away. I normally crave healthy food for all of my meals, so I never have a problem with that part. I just have a sweet tooth that I try to satisfy with moderation. It has not triggered me to binge, but allows me to feel strong that I can control what I put into my body. That strength is what I need to succeed life long. That is why my past diets did not work out!!! I didn't have the strength once I allowed myself to have a "treat". Now, I am doing strengthening exercises by allowing myself to add it into my weekly regime in moderation, while controlling my nutritional count of sugar/etc the next day.

Last edited by Mommysince21505; 09-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Mommysince21505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I don't cheat or have cheat days. But, I do allow myself to eat something special as long as it fits into my calories. Of course, my idea of something special is a desert of an apple, sprinkled with cinnamon and dipped in almond butter.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 328/309/180

Thank you all for your comments they have been really helpful!
pinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 291.2/287.7/250

Height: 5'2

I tried the cheat meals or cheat days and they just don't work for me. I just can't quit once I start. I get thoughts like well you already messed the day up now might as well have another one. Then the next day I think well I already messed this week up yesterday something sweet can't hurt me today. Before I knew it I was off track. Today I jumped back on the treadmill and start walking and plan to do weight lifting later on tonight. I can't stop now because I just started.
mommy1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #15  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't have cheat or splurge days but I do calorie cycle. I usually eat between 1400-1800 calories/day. I may have one meal that is a little higher in calories than another on my high calorie day. The reason I don't have a whole day of eating what I want is because I have had a whole 20 years of eating what I wanted all the way up to 272. I also know me well enough to know that one bag of almond m&ms will lead to soda which will lead to other stuff I don't need.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote