Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #1  

Default Changed eating and still gaining :(

Well I started eating healthy and counting calories and nutrients about 3 months ago after I realized that I had put on almost 70 pounds in three months taking massive doses of steroids for allergy breakouts. I stopped the steroids and decided to get healthy again. Rather than cut that crap off at the pass, I have actually continued to gain up to 300 pounds from 210 at the beginning of 2010. I know that I should add in exercise, but I am somewhat mystified that no weight has come off from the dieting and has actually kept right on rolling on.

I am terribly embarrassed to have regained all the weight I had lost previously plus 40 pounds, I am heavier than I have ever been in my life and eating healthier than I have ever eaten.

Any supportive suggestions, I am a little down today with the gain.
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

First-take the embarrassement and throw it out the window, bye-bye, it's gone. One of the greatest things I've learned is it that negative emotions only breed destruction, you're done with that, that is why you're here.

What are you actually eating? I thought I was eating healthy at one point too, turns out my diet was loaded with salt. So what you eat must really be examined and be honest. I know that's hard, no one wants to admit the spoonfulls of ice cream we snuck out of the carton. Sadly, my previous thought of "if it's not in a bowl, it doesn't count" really isn't true.

You have to MOVE your body, as heavy women and men we make so many excuses as to why we can't, but for the most part that's a crock and we all know it. Ten minutes a day is something...and I don't care who you are, we all have ten minutes.

I hope you join our exercise thread and that I have the chance to get to know you better.

The question is not where you are now, it's where will you be a year from now?
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #3  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I totally feel for you, that has to be difficult to gain so much so fast. Steroids do put the lbs on at least they did for me too a few years ago.

Maybe you need to evaluate what you're eating...I did and noticed a huge change. For some reason I can eat 1800 of either a diet with low-fat,low-carb choices and I won't drop any weight or I eat 1800 of proteins,veggies,fruit,nuts,dairy but no processed foods and lose a ton. Everyone's body is different and maybe you need to do some trial and error and see if taking out something will help you,IMO.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/332/200

Height: 5'7

I can hear the frustration in your post.

I know where you are coming from. I get so tired of being told that if I do z, y, or z that I'll lose weight. I've tried x, y, z and the rest of the alphabet!

I think in rare instances, some people gain weight even though they are eating healthy and exercises. There are medical reasons this can happen. Again, it's very rare but very real. It could be a thyroid issue, it could be something rare like Cushings, or (in your case) the introduction of steroids causing trouble.

I think your best move would be to work with a doctor. Get the advice of a professional. If there is something going on medically, it isn't as simple as just cutting calories and exercising more. Clearly, it isn't working and if something is going on it may never work (at least not entirely).

Of course, yes, diet and exercise are important and necessary to lose weight. But you already knew that, right? But if you are fighting against a condition, or fighting against the effect of these steroids, you may need to do MORE than just diet and exercise. So my advice, for whatever it's worth, is to keep up the healthy eating and exercise plan AND work with a doctor to figure out what is going on to cause your recent weight gain and the difficulty you've had in losing it.

Please don't waste anytime feeling guilty or embarrassed or beating yourself up. Gaining that much weight in such a short time absolutely 100% warrants a visit with your doctor. There is something else going on (probably the steroids, maybe something else too) and it should be a addressed by your doctor.

Hang in there! You're doing great with the healthy eating, now you've just got to figure out how to get your body to respond to it!!
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #5  

I also hear your frustration and I know you aren't alone. My little sister just went through something similar and gained an obscene amount of weight because of using steriods due to horrible asthma.

She is working with her doctor as well and is now on a blood pressure medicine and a mild diuretic.

I'm one of those people who can't lose weight at 500 calories because my metabolism just shuts down. Oh, and my body thinks it's funny to stall my weight loss no matter how well I'm adhering to a good plan. That's the result of many years of yo-yo dieting.

Hang in there! You can do this.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I hear your frustration too. You said you were counting calories... how many do you eat a day? Do you record everything you eat -- and drink -- every day?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #7  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Don't be embarrassed! If you're eating healthy, it sounds like a medical thing...have you gone to the doctor about it?
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #8  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Tiger, I spent 3 years on steroids and gained a lot... I think, when I got off them, that it took at least 6 months before the effects really subsided. Sounds like you weren't on them as long, but I think the detox might just be a little slower than you expected. Hang in there and keep doing what you know is right.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #9  

Thank you so much for all the nonjudgemental support I am feeling so much better now.

I am tracking my food and drink on Sparkpeople and am tracking every bit and chip. I try for 2000 healthy cal, but most days struggle to get in 15-1700. I don't eat meat but chicken and fish and try to limit dairy since I do have acid reflux and so far undiagnosed bowel disorder. I am without insurance and my family is struggling on just my Dad's pension atm but I am trying to get medical attention. I also have all the symptoms of low thyroid function but cannot get anyone to prescribe for me since my numbers come back top edge of low, close to normal. I try telling them I have had symptoms since I was a small small child that are worsening instead of getting better but no dice so far.

And I come from an overweight birth family and morbidly obese adoptive family (way to place kids, county adoption folks lol) which makes my struggle life and death for me, as my adoptive parents are in their sixties and dying of obesity.

Did I say thank you so much for the support? I don't have support from my family and haven't felt comfortable asking my overweight friend for support for she has much on her plate atm so thank you thank you thank you
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

Sending you a
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #11  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Have you checked out free clinics in your area? We have quite a few where I live, but I don't know how ubiquitous they are around you.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

Ugh - I was on prednizone for about 7 months and literally put on 30 pounds. I still think I am trying to lose those pounds. Unfortunately there are medications that make you gain weight but most dr. will not give you a magic pill to lose that same weight...just keep at it, the weight will come off!!!!
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote