Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit After Forty #258

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of being fit when you have a significant amount of weight to lose which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #2  

Happy Monday all! Was a beautiful spring weekend but I'm always glad to get back to my routine. I took a little exercise break yesterday trying to listen to my body - back at it today.

Looking forward to my personalized BMR testing on Thursday - not so much to the colonoscopy on Friday.

Make it a great day!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Carol -- Wow you've got an exciting week ahead!

I had a busy weekend. LOTS of yardwork -- hauling dirt and compost. And work-work. The next 6 weeks are going to be crazy!!

But the good thing about so much work outside is that I don't eat while I'm doing it. So yesterday I spent 2+ hours outside in the yard (plus a lot of time running to Home stores...) moving my body AND not eating. Win-win!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/319/175

Height: 5'6

'Morning everyone. I'm new here. Had knee replacement surgery 10 weeks ago today and am slowly making my way back into the gym. One thing I finally learned in physical therapy after the surgery is the connection between doing the work and seeing results. Wow, whodathunkit?

Anyhow, I'm 43yo, have one solid but still weak knee and one that has moderate osteoarthritis that I'm working hard to keep in good shape to stave off its replacement as long as possible. I'm working on keeping to a better diet, moving a lot more and just having a healthier, more active lifestyle.

Oh and I'm *really* motivated because I'm getting on a plane in 4 months. 0_0

This week's plan is to stay within my nutritional guidelines and to get to the gym 3x for strength training and cardio. I was just released by my doctor to go back to the gym last week and Thurs I learned the hard lesson of what happens if I overdo on this new knee, so I'm trying to really ease my way back into the cardio.

Glad to be here!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #5  

Welcome, Angela!! I've had some knee problems and the beginnings of arthritis. I've worked a lot with a trainer to strengthen the muscles around the knee and am amazed at the results...

Please feel free to join us in our exercise thread! We count the number of minutes we exercise and are trying to break our record from last year. Every minute from every person counts! So, exercising helps you and helps us!! See the sticky at the top of the thread!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

WOW its wed already!! I have been outside enjoying the weather with the kids I keep. Food is going great and exercise is daily. I love it! Now cant wait for the scales to move!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #7  

WTG, Debbie!

I'm hanging in there. Working too much, but not quite as bad as the last couple of weeks. Enjoying the gorgeous weather and getting outside when I can.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #8  

I'm also doing well - loving the weather. Can't wait to feel the warm earth in my hands and start digging.

Missing everyone - big hugs to all!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #9  

Tempted to get some plants and start digging!!!! My beds look good and are now ready for plants. I also am praying the guy comes to till my garden spot this weekend. Cant wait to get tomatoes and squash and cucumbers in the ground. I am going to cut the size of our garden in half. IT was just to big last year for me to manage. Hubby isnt feeling very well this year and just isnt up to helping alot.
Cant wait to have fresh veggie for breakfast!!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #10  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi Angela. I'm Angela too, though I look like Vortex. Welcome.

I just got home yesterday from Ohio. Still doing the back-and-forth-to-see-Mom-in-hospital thing. I'm debating what to do this weekend. The thought of staying here is pretty tempting.

Eating has not been great. I've been so pressed for time that I'm letting bad habits take over. Gotta change that. On the other hand, I'm about to head off on a 15-minute walk, and I'll do another 15 minutes to get back later. 30 minutes is pretty good for me, since I'm just getting started back up. So, I'm off and I'll see you all later. Hope the good weather is helping everyone stay OP.

Angela / Vortex
Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #11  

More of the same for me... Hope you're all doing well. Good to see you back Angela, hope your mom is doing well...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #12  

I made some bad choices last night at dinner, dd cooked and even made cookies and cleaned up the kitchen. Today is a new day and Im back in control.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #13  
BELIEVE!

Hi lovely ladies!

That's about all I have time to say right now. Just finished work. Off to get my little guys, hit the park and then pick up dinner.

Have a fabulous evening!!

Barb
Old 04-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

OMG! I can't believe I've been absent for so long. I decided I needed to check out of the laptop for awhile and refocus on actually accomplishing some physical work. I'm happy to report I've been exercising every day. I'm three weeks into Pilates and am actually seeing improvement. But every time I have to go to class (just twice a week) it's the worst time of the day, 4:45 p.m., the peak time for me to take a little nap. So going to class is a challenge every time. So glad my son has taekwondo at the same time, right around the corner!

Anyways, missed you all. Angela, welcome to the group. Apparently doing the work = results was pretty lost on me too! Glad to have another enlightened wellness buddy here!

Okay, I've got to go to Pilates now. Maybe I'll nap in the car on the way...
Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #15  

Happy Friday - glad to report BMR testing and colonoscopy are history. I continue to absorb all the information on the BMR results. I'm sure as many technicians there are there are equal number of thoughts on how to address it. My metabolism is about 300 cal/day slower than it should be - presumably brought on my "too many workouts/week" and too few calories. It was a great process to go through and I will take my calories up for the next 3 months to see what the results are - focusing on 58g fat/day, under 200g carbs/day and trying to get 211g protein/day. The exercise portion (EMR) was pretty amazing also - my numbers were pretty upside down - my best fat burning comes during warm up and low intensity cardio. I've also agreed to only 5 workouts/week - down from the 10 - 11 currently. They felt confident with those changes I would raise my BMR at least 100 cal in the 3 month period while also starting to lose weight again.

That's a lot of protein - gonna see if I can find some new sources for me - maybe Greek yogurt - other suggestions?
Closed Thread