Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit After 40 #253

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #2  

It was very quiet here last week - let's hear some more chatter this week if possible. Positive energy generates more positive energy. I will work to post here every day!

My scale still is stalled - I did manage to eek out a .25 lb loss for the week. My plan is to mix is up a bit this week - been eating mostly the same thing - give the body a little shock.

I know it's only the 8th but I have managed to keep my personal goal to exercise every day - it hasn't necessarily been a lot - some days 20 minutes but I'm hoping this becomes a habit.

Make it a great day!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Well scales are up two more lbs.Im back to my post christmas weight. TODAY will change that!! I dont have any special occasions coming up anytime till Easter. I am going to be POP till then! I may do a chicken dish for easter instead of ham and make it a POP day also.
Exercise was good last week..only missed 2 days all week.
Im heading outside as soon as its warm enough. Watch out playground here we come and I will walk the boundries of it while the kids play.
Who is with me on making this a POP week??
Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #4  

Deb - I'm in!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Count me in as well, Debi!

I'm technically awake, but still feeling quite groggy. Must...get...coffee...

It's later in the day. My son and I have chest colds. Been coughing all morning, and I have a bit of a fever. I think it's a soup day. Lots of veggies and lemon.

Last edited by geoblewis; 03-08-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #6  

DGRAMIE, Is POP Perfectly On Plan? ... or Practically On Plan? .....or Partially On Plan?
Or have I still not gotten it right? I'm game anyway - as long as we don't have to count Sat & Sun the 6th & 7th. I got some good exercise but basically let myself take a vacation from stress, including guilt. Vacation is over and I'm back OP today.

GEORGIA, I hope you & your DS feel better soon!

GGGIRLS, 8 days is a seriously good streak! For me, days 4 or 5 when I start feeling invincable are really dangerous and easy to blow. You're already well past that! Keep it up!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hey chickies!

Wow, this term is a real slog. I'm making it through, but only because of a lot of evening work. Working on a good eating day, though...

At least it's starting to look like spring!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

I'm in Deb starting tomorrow. I've already screwed up today.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #9  

POP day here along with exercise. I may have to go to bed early if the hungries show up. Nice big salad with chicken for dinner - no reason to be belly hungry - just head hungry.

How'd everyone else do?

Val - brought a smile to my face seeing you post today! How are you?

Georgia - tell me about your stamina on the rowing machine - how long does it take to build up your endurance to do maybe 10 minutes?

Last edited by gggirls; 03-08-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Rowing machine info

Hey Carol. I have a good bit of info and anecdotes about the rower. Get your coffee...

I recall the first time I was on a rowing machine. Maybe two minutes. It felt very uncomfortable and unnatural, and I had a really tough time getting off it. (Big bottom, no quad or cardio strength.) Swore to never get on one again. I was intimidated by it and it didn't seem like such a cool piece of equipment to be on. That was in the early 80s, when I was more concerned with how stupid I might look in front of others at the gym.

Cut to 25 years later, after reading about how great the workout is on the rowing machine (really one of the best whole body workout machines, a weight-bearing workout that helps control blood sugar better than any other form of exercise), and the fact that I had injured my knees and couldn't stay on the elliptical for more than five minutes, I thought I'd give it another try. I was at the Green Mountain Spa (a wellness spa in Vermont) and tried out their machine, a Concept2 rower, which is really the best one on the market (and pricey at around $1000 for a new model). I had been on the treadmill for a couple of weeks and was getting bored with it, so I thought I'd try the rower again. I was able to be on it for 15 minutes, which impressed me about my progress with the exercise at the time. After that, I used it everyday, for about the same amount of time.

I was at the spa for three weeks. When I got home, I found a used Concept2 rower on eBay for just under $700. I got the original model D that sits up off the ground higher. Once I got it set up, I worked up to 30 minutes on the rower pretty quickly, and eventually got up to an hour. I was a slow rower at first, but I'm slowly working up on speed and resistance.

I had to leave my beloved rower behind with the X when I moved back to the U.S. Last year I bought a brand new model D, since he was never going to ship my old one back to me. I hadn't used a rower for over a year, so when I got back on it, I thought I'd be back to my 15 minute workout. But since I'm no longer intimidated by it, I was able to do the 5000m in 40 minutes without much problem.

I like the workout a lot. It's great for cardio, for doing an endurance row or doing intervals. I also get a good core workout. I can feel it! I have to watch my form (tend to get lazy with posture and form) in order to make sure my back muscles get stronger. Otherwise, I'll have a sore lower back. Better to go slow and get the form right than to go fast and get injured. Checkout the Concept2 website for beginner training info. They have a lot of great advice on using the equipment.

If you're thinking about using one, try to find one at a local gym and give it a test-drive for a week or so. Like any piece of equipment similar to it, you can get bored if you don't have something to distract you while rowing. At the spa, I had that thing planted in front of the TV. No one else wanted to use it, so I could be on it as long as I wanted. At home, my gym is in my garage, and I set up my laptop by it and watch an episode of Battlestar Galactica while rowing, but I also have a TV in the garage. A few times I've played an audio of a river, closed my eyes and just rowed. I also have an mp3 of Cardio Coach that I listen to with headphones for an interval workout. That really kicks my butt!

Last edited by geoblewis; 03-09-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

POP = PERFECT on PLAN day!!

I am proud to say I had one. I did wake this morning with my tummy growling. I even allowed myself a after dinner skinny cow as a snack. I got a long walk in yesterday with the kids and they seemed to enjoy being outside as much as I did!
Today will be POP!!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #12  

Georgia - thanks for the info - there is one at the gym that always sits unused. I'll ask the staff to help me - no pride here - lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #13  

Good morning - how's everyone's week going? Doing well here - broke down and made an appt with the doc to discuss this plateau of a year now. Could it be my blasted thyroid - we'll see - I don't like self-diagnosis as sometimes I feel there is too much info available via the internet but the symptoms fit.

Let's keep it moving - get a breath of fresh air if possible - listen to the birds starting to chirp!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi all!! Warm and rainy here for the forseeable future... I'm doing pretty well, trying to add in exercise when I can. Food has been pretty good.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Hi Ladies!

Warning....selfish, whiney, me post ahead......I'd like to be popping in here with my perky, positive enthusiasm for life, but I'm having trouble mustering it lately. I thought I'd come back from vacation feeling refreshed and ready to go. Just the opposite...I've felt horrible the past couple weeks.

Last week I felt like my equilibrium was off. I had an appt with my allergist on Friday and he said I had some fluid in my ear....likely a little virus I picked up. Hubby was complaining of the same thing. Then on Friday I got my allergy injection and an hour later was double over with the worst abdominal cramping I've EVER had. Figured it was something I ate since I haven't been eating clean lately. Flash forward to Sunday...feeling better, took the 3yo for a bike ride with me I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest. Not sure if it was just the first ride of the season, being sick, whatever. Monday I felt ok, Tuesday was ok until I went for my allergy shot...again w/in an hour I was in excruciating pain. That's when it dawned on me that Friday after my shot the same thing happened. I called my doc in tears. He said he's never seen a reaction like that to the shots. Not to mention I've been getting them for 9+ months. Once the pain subsided I just felt completely wiped out. I continue to feel the same way today.

So...today I had a 6mo check up with my endocrinologist (I'm hypothyroid). I knew my weight was up....12 pounds since I saw him in October! ARGH! Then I went on to explain to him everything going on and just feeling "OFF" these days. All my bloodwork was find. My TSH was on the high side of normal so he's decided to increase my meds slightly. Doesn't expect that to resolve anything, but shouldn't hurt. I felt perfectly fine the week I was out of town so he's suspecting some kind of allergen causing me issues at home. Other than the dogs I have no idea what it could be. Dogs have never bothered me. Maybe stress, maybe the fact I haven't been eating properly. I don't know.

I'm frustrated with myself. I'm at a loss. I don't understand why I can't seem to get my focus back to eat right. It shouldn't be this hard!! Back in Sept my weight was down to 222.2. Today It was 237.8. Before Christmas it was 226. Before the cruise it was 230. ARGH!!!

I'm still working out 6 days a week. I just agreed to sign up for 6 bike events over the next few months. Ranging from 22-75 miles each!!!! I'm hoping that give me some drive back. The first one is 2 weeks away and it's 22 miles!

Please....kick me, pinch me, hug me, smack me....whatever. I just need support and encouragement from my friends. I want to feel good again. I want to feel strong and thin and sexy. I feel fat, bloated and lazy right now.

On an up note..I'm off to the gym....

to everyone!
Closed Thread