Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #1  

Default Does anyone else...

Have family that doesn't seem to really care one way or the other if you lose weight?

Example: i went to the gym today and as I was getting ready, he said "Are you REALLY going to go this late" ... Well, it's only 9 p.m. and the gym is open til 11. The kids are in bed, and I have nothing to do. "Yes, I'm going." he shrugged his shoulders and sat down on the couch.

I have made my commitment to myself. I've decided that I'm sick of being this way, looking this way, feeling this way. I'm committed to change...and he seems like he could care less.

It's so UNhelpful.
missyanne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

my family is supportive..they just dont understand since no one in my family is obese. They don't understand that even walking around the block is tiring!

EXERCISING at any time that works for you is what is important. I use to go after dinner for about an hour, and it would help me sleep better

Don't let anyone STOP you from doing this! :0

Last edited by azcyn; 01-27-2010 at 11:31 PM.
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

oh missy anne, this hits home. Three weeks ago I sat down with my husband and my three, yes three teenage children. I explained to them how while I love being their mother and his wife, at this time in my life, I needed to make sure I make time everyday for excercise, this is my time. I expressed how I had neglected to take care of myself because I felt as if I was always taking care of them and if they really meant it when they said they want me around for the next 30 years, they'd have to be understanding and they'd have to be supportive. I love them and right now I needed them to show me that they loved be back in allowing me time to do this and support me in my journey.

I didn't need them to do it with me, though to my surprise, my children stepped up and are working to better their health too but what I did need was the respect of time for myself.

What amazed me most was my husband. While he couldn't do it for me, he explained it's hard for a man not to be able to fix whatever problem his wife was having. By nature, men are fixers. So I guess I got lucky, he made a new house rule...when mom has her headphones, she's to be left alone. Unless you are dying, anything else can wait.

I realized men can't read your mind, unless you tell them how you're feeling, they really don't know. As my hubby states, men by nature are simple creatures...women have the beauty of complexity. Talk to him about it and be honest about your feelings, honest...not judgemental or condemning.
See as I get older I've come to accept everything we do in life is a choice. You could have walked over to your hubby, given him a kiss and said something like..."Just think, working out at the gym benefits you too... in a few weeks I'll have a LOT more energy, I hope you can keep up." and then give him a sly,sweet wink and a smile. "Thanks for keeping an eye on the kids so I can go do this. Makes me remember how amazing you are."

Just a suggestion. I love being married and I love my husband, he's an incredible man, but he didn't come out of a box like this. Just like we need to be reminded of how much we are loved, they do too. And watching you take this huge step in your life might be a little scary for him. Talk to him about it.

Love is work but the rewards are many.
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #4  

Thank you for that. I does help... I just need him to understand.
missyanne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Like many of the other ladies I also got to a point that I put myself at the top of my list. Namely, my sleep, exercise and nutrition. My health and mental stability suffered for years because I was too busy keeping up appearances and keeping up everyone else.

The problem is that sometimes our changes can make others feel uncomfortable and they are resistant. BUT, if we don't change we will "always get what we always got." I just couldn't continue my old patterns any longer. I reached a breaking point and SOMETHING was going to change! Luckily my hubby said, "I will help you in any way I can." If he had been resistant--well, I wasn't going to let anything or anyone stand in my way anymore.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote